• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
With plans for playable female characters and a choice of ethnicity on the horizon (you can only create white male characters at the moment), I expect the vitriol to get worse. The Mordhau team seem to expect that too, and say their current plan is to let players 'disable' these new options if they want. "That goes back to a similar situation as the chat filters," Geach says. "Whatever stance we take officially, some group of people are going to be upset with us. And so, ideally we'd put the power in the players' hands, and give them the option to enable and disable different things.
Lol, these fuckers..

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
With plans for playable female characters and a choice of ethnicity on the horizon (you can only create white male characters at the moment), I expect the vitriol to get worse. The Mordhau team seem to expect that too, and say their current plan is to let players 'disable' these new options if they want. "That goes back to a similar situation as the chat filters," Geach says. "Whatever stance we take officially, some group of people are going to be upset with us. And so, ideally we'd put the power in the players' hands, and give them the option to enable and disable different things."

Well, there goes any chance I'll ever buy a game from these assholes. Seriously, what the fuck?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
It's getting to the point where I have an inherent mistrust of any new game set in medieval Europe or a fictional equivalent. They're starting to feel like playgrounds for the type of jackasses that think multiracial couples are a threat to western civilization and that kind of shit.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, this isn't an issue of communication. There's no positive way to spin how they interact with and moderate Mordhau's community. They could maybe dress it up a bit, but it wouldn't change what they're actually saying.

What makes it worse is that they are dressing it up. Their comments are riddled with PR speak and non-answers that makes it clear how much they think they're obfuscating how much they want their white boys club.

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
absolutely disgusting, and this is why I avoid PC gaming altogether... lots of this crap around that you don't see on consoles

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is the dev team that sprung out of the Chivalry Medieval Warfare people, right? I vaguely recall them throwing hands at them over something

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this is... something. What context could possible make "Knigga" not racist?

Also, does that filtering apply to everything? Can I turn off white male characters?

Reading this makes me very glad that Chivalry 2 is on the horizon, my desire to play any more Mordhau just dropped off a cliff.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the racist community is less of a turn off for me than the racist as fuck dev team.

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
Can anything be done to get this game pulled from Steam? I doubt they want to be associated with something like this...

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This is the dev team that sprung out of the Chivalry Medieval Warfare people, right? I vaguely recall them throwing hands at them over something
I don't think so. Looks like they were a bunch of isolated game devs that united into a global studio.

Their Kickstarter page describes them thusly:
Mordhau is being developed by Triternion. We're a young, 10-person international team driven by our passion for melee games and the medieval era. We've accumulated thousands of hours of playtime in awesome titles such as Chivalry, Mount & Blade, War of the Roses, the Jedi Knight series, and many others, too. Having been part of the community as players as well as content creators, we feel we're in a unique position to use this experience to refine and further evolve the melee genre.

For the music behind Mordhau, we're collaborating with a team of three passionate composers: Viktor Alexander, Paul Keilhau and Lukas Gorris. Their music brings an element of grit and power to the already brutal setting.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's the biggest downfall of the game, at least the one positive thing I can say is there really is no benefit to having the chat window open and you can disable it altogether. It's a really good game with one of the GOAT combat systems but I suppose a medieval combat game attracts the white power fantasy that some of these racists like.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mordhau eh.......just gonna mentally erase every developer associated with this shit show.

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about certain PC games attracting a certain sect of gamers. Are these the people that took the PC master race thing seriously?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The most shocking is how honest the devs are about the their intentions.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Fucking bizarre how almost every melee focused medieval game is taken over by bigots and Nazis. It's like there's some hidden section of the internet really into lords, ladies, and racism.

I think For Honor might be an exception here.

Eh, idk about that. Ubisoft is a AAA developer and has the ability to crack down on this stuff a lot more easily with extensive moderation but early on there was a big issue with people creating Swastika emblems and what not.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't this also happen with chivalry? Remember streamers stopped playing that game because players would feel the chat with racial slurs

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Games with historical European settings, particularly set during the medieval period, do seem to attract white supremacists.

ugh HEMA people are the fucking worst...

Yep. I've had to-unfollow a couple HEMA YouTubers over the last year because they've outed themselves as racist/sexist assholes using the "hIsToRiCaL aCcUrAcY" as an excuse for their bullshit prejudice. Which is a shame because their content was otherwise enjoyable.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they just like...literally admit there's going to be a diversity switch?

What. The. Fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
lmao my read on this is that it actually seems to be a galaxy-brained idea on combating the rampant discrimination without alienating the bigots

"the bigots won't know who to be racist or sexist against if they see every character as a white male" is one of those takes that is technically correct in that "look at how Rational i am" sense, yet immediately deeply foolish and offensive after thinking about the implications for even a moment

no bigot is going to actually use the "erase minorities" function because then they won't know who to harass and target in-game! just having a feminine sounding name is enough to receive random votekicks and hilarious degrees of tunnel vision attention in some games

"we want to add diversity to our game, but that might offend some bigots and increase the levels of discriminatory harassment, so we're giving them the option to turn it off" - did they run this idea past a single person???? i'm baffled by the myopia on display

this is the most RADICAL CENTRIST idea i've ever seen

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, idk about that. Ubisoft is a AAA developer and has the ability to crack down on this stuff a lot more easily with extensive moderation but early on there was a big issue with people creating Swastika emblems and what not.
Unfortunate, I'm probably just listening to anecdotal stories about game communities. I have seen some awful custom icons in call of duty games as well, they seem pretty easy to abuse.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe you should chill a bit. Reviews are buyers guide about the quality of the game. What business does it have what some users write in some of the games forums?

Someone named Phantom88 telling people to chill because they don't want to dock games based on online racism/sexism?

Hmmmmmmm

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I wish I would have known before buying it. I was shocked to see how toxic the chat was, and the devs made absolutely no effort to mitigate that. No filters, no automated kicks/bans, no report function... nothing.

Taking a peek at their own forums was enough to understand.
Trash.

Nightwalker

Feb 22, 2019
"With plans for playable female characters and a choice of ethnicity on the horizon (you can only create white male characters at the moment), I expect the vitriol to get worse. The Mordhau team seem to expect that too, and say their current plan is to let players 'disable' these new options if they want."

Wait, am I reading this right? if you disable this option you can only see characters as white and male?

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I'm not defending the devs at all, they can rot for all i care with the decisions they made. But it's unfair to blame the community at large for "fostering" these people, when these same people for example go into Minecraft servers and indoctrinate kids into white supremacy with no recourse. It's up to devs and the platform to give incentives to the community to report these kinds of people, and make sure lasting consequences are doled out, otherwise you're going to get the people disproportionately affected by this (i.e. PoC and women) abandoning the game or even genre entirely.
For me, the distinction is as follows

I can play Minecraft. I run into some truly horrible people. Now that Notch is gone I know that the devs at least don't want to endorse that kind of behavior. If I can curate my experience such that I never see/notice those assholes, I am happy

I play Mordhau. I run into some truly horrible people. I turn off text chat and I never notice the horrible stuff they are saying while I typekill them. I am happy. Then I see the shit on the official forums and see that the devs are endorsing that. I now am not happy because I gave money to some really shitty people and every time I play it I am endorsing said really shitty stuff to anyone I am steam friends with.

Morgan Park

Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
I actually kind of do

blah blah blah Kieron Gillen's manifesto blah blah blah travel writing (worth a read if you haven't)

if the purpose of a review is whether I, a player who mostly lines up with this persona, will enjoy a game, then I want to know if I'll actually enjoy it. Maybe that means saying "yo dog, there is a shit ton of really hairy and realistic spiders for four hours straight" that means I can't enjoy it. Maybe everyone online is a toxic shitbag that will result in me not wanting to play a game

To Mordhau's credit (here is hoping I am eligible for a refund... probably not), voice chat is disabled by default (period?) and I can actually completely disable the text chat as well. That's why I was willing to grab it in the first place: if I don't need to interact with or acknowledge the racist assholes then I can enjoy the game with my friends.

Similarly, I would kind of like to know what I am supporting. On paper games like Mordhau and even KCD are right up my alley. I loved Chivalry and I love ultraviolence. Similarly, I loved Gothic and other janky eastern european RPGs. I don't like actively supporting toxic shitbags.

So a review targeting a persona that is more or less me would mention that stuff. One targeting folk who are better at tuning out the assholes wouldn't.

I am not sure if PC Gamer should worry about this. But I also don't know what their audience is these days

Seems fair to me to factor how hard a developer is working to thwart toxicity into a review. I wouldn't mind it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
They don't think the title "Post your kniggas" is racist?

In what universe is that not racist?

absolutely disgusting, and this is why I avoid PC gaming altogether... lots of this crap around that you don't see on consoles

I used to play console online exclusively and I came across racial slurs every single day.

Also, I haven't played online on console for years, I played some apex legends on Xbox today and heard the N word in the first 5 mins along with numerous homophobic slurs.

This isn't a PC exclusive thing whatsoever, plenty of PC players like myself call this stuff out all the time as well.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck at this dev team and their comments. I'm never touching anything they put out. Complete trash.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Is it shitty to say that I expected something like this to happen from day one? Just feels like it's a standard for any medieval game these days.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty interested in getting this game, but damn am I glad to have waited. Their views on handling a toxic community is such absolute garbage, I wish they'd feel ashamed of themselves. They seem a bit like the YouTube of video game developers.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Triternion Devs probably said:
Hmm, what does our online multiplayer melee combat game need? Engine optimization to decrease unacceptable HDD loading times? A decent report system? A single player campaign?

nah fuck all that BUT WHAT ABOUT LETTING RACISTS FILTER OUT WOMEN AND NON-WHITES?

How long until they announce they're planning on adding a "Holy War" mode where each team sees themselves as righteous Christian crusaders and the other team as dirty Saracens?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
There is no way I'm going to play a game with a white male only option.

Not even Warhammer/40k goes that far.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fuck these racist bastards. Boycott this developer from all future games if this is the stance they are going to take. They will be on the wrong side of history

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't say that at all actually. He said certain pc games--not all the pc gaming--attracting a certain sect of gamers, which in this case is absolutely true.

While that particular user didn't say that, others in this very thread have:

One of the big downsides of PC gaming is coming into contact with the great unwashed like this.

I grew tired of playing Insurgency because it was full of your usual racist shitheads. Can only imagine Mordhau is the same.
It's unfortunate, and has led me to to avoid most PC gaming communities.

I can understand why they might think that the user they quoted was doing the same thing.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game has by far the worst text chat I've ever seen in my entire gaming life, and I've been a PC gamer since I was a child.

The community really fosters it, half of the posts on the games subreddit are memeing about how 'we are the knights that say nigger' and people like this are allowed to run free reign without getting touched by mods.

Great game and I really enjoy it with my friends, but absolute trash community, if anyone says they play game I'd automatically assume the worst of them.