• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The only time I had issues with a Bluetooth connection with either an Xbox 1/SX or DS4 controller is if I connect the dongle to the back of the PC. I got a cheap USB 3.0 Bluetooth dongle of Amazon connected to a USB 3.0 hub and I have no issues even at distances up to like 10'.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Pretty sure it's a controller issue. I have one controller that connects flawlessly, and one that loses connection constantly. The one with connection issues became my wired PC controller...

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's probably fairly obvious, but you probably want it in th front of your PC and not the rear

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I've been connecting 4 different non-Xbox controllers to Bluetooth w/no issues, but in recent gaming on PC, there's a wide gulf between things that "just work" on Xbox yet are annoying af in Win10.

kammikazy

Oct 27, 2017
I have also been having issues non-stop with the Xbox series x controller on PC, Bluetooth and dongle. Tried opening a ticket with Microsoft but never heard anything. DualShock 4 experiences no connection issues whatsoever over Bluetooth. šŸ˜ž 360 controller never seemed to have these kind of issues...

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up and plugged the thing in via USB. Only way to stop the stuttering/latency it caused in games.

Jan 4, 2021
It is absolute trash, I lose my mind every time I try to couch game with my PC. I've tried regular Xbox One controllers, Xbox One S and the elite controller (which I rage chucked across my backyard not once but twice). Two dongles, internal Bluetooth and an extended antenna and it's still the flakiest crap ever. Why are wireless controllers so flawless on consoles and goddamn trash on my PC? Although my PCs are reasonably powerful I've still been rebuying games on my PS5 simply because I'm tired of dealing with controller problems. I've googled and researched - but with Windows 10 goddamn daily updates kill any kind of regularity and stability is a moving target. Every time I get a random new issue I google it and lo and behold it's "new updates broke XXX."

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Not had a single disconnection with my elite and the latest dongle. Flawless for me. It is odd that the experience varies so much though, but I guess that is PC gaming for you.

Dec 31, 2017
I use mine on PC (standard Xbox one controller though) with a cheap 10$ Bluetooth adapter from Amazon and I've had no problems with it, it's connected in a USB3.0 port on the back of my case so signal goes through my desk and computer technically, like maybe 3 feet max from where I hold the controller. It's the same adapter I use for my AirPods Pro and it's been flawless for me (at least for now). A friend of mine had tons of issues that for some reason got resolved after a Windows update.

Never used the official dongle so I can't comment on that one.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
OP, have you downloaded XBOX Controller App on the Windows Store? I used to have an issue with my new Series X controller constantly disconnecting, but after downloading the app, plugging the controller with USB and updating, its been 100% fixed

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
It is absolute trash, I lose my mind every time I try to couch game with my PC. I've tried regular Xbox One controllers, Xbox One S and the elite controller (which I rage chucked across my backyard not once but twice). Two dongles, internal Bluetooth and an extended antenna and it's still the flakiest crap ever. Why are wireless controllers so flawless on consoles and goddamn trash on my PC? Although my PCs are reasonably powerful I've still been rebuying games on my PS5 simply because I'm tired of dealing with controller problems. I've googled and researched - but with Windows 10 goddamn daily updates kill any kind of regularity and stability is a moving target. Every time I get a random new issue I google it and lo and behold it's "new updates broke XXX."
Dualsense, Dualshock 4, Switch Pro... And even cheap third party controllers works flawlessly.... Its just xbox controllers that had faulty connections in my experience. And this is mindboggling, afterall is microsoft and windows damn.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience the official wireless adapter is far more reliable than the native bluetooth connection. Haven't had any problems since I switched.

..which doesn't help the OP much :(
Same. Had nothing but problems using Bluetooth with my Elite Series 2 controller, but the moment I plugged in an official Xbox Controller for Windows 10 wireless adapter it's been flawless for me.

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
I use the old fat wireless adapter with an Xbox one controller and it disconnects at least once every session.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I haven't had any issues with my Series X controller on PC with the official dongle, though I am sitting less than a metre away from it and it's in clear view of the controller at all times.

However, using an Xbox One controller with a random bluetooth dongle from Amazon in the same setup produced much worse results. Occasional disconnections, missed inputs, and this wonky thing where the game would run at like one frame every few seconds until I turned the controller off.

OP
OP
Cats_Schrodinger
Oct 29, 2017
Just to confirm we're talking about this dongle right?

9d1447a0-8aa1-4492-b620-d1bc0c58d9e6.jpg

Never had issues with this one.

Indeed.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I moved the dongle even closer to the controller, reinstalled drivers (did nothing of course), and I managed to get it working at a reasonable rate. I had power management set up (first thing I do always with these dongles), every setting nice, everything updated. I have a Razer dock far away from it and the only other thing plugged into the system is a USB cable for the keyboard.

Still, the fact that I have to be in extremely close proximity (6m my arse) and I have to move the dongle away from USB 3.0 ports or any metal is crazy. USB 3.0 is an absolute insanity in itself, one of the biggest fuckups I've seen in terms of technology.
Dunno what to tell you. My XBO gamepad (the latter revision with BT) works fine with its proprietary dongle. I have it plugged into the back side USB port on my monitor so there's the monitor between it and gamepad 100% of the time and it works fine at up to 3 meters away or so and only start to disconnect if I move to the farthest corner of the same room. I haven't done about anything with drivers or device settings. It's very much plug and play.

Did you try disconnecting from USB ports everything but the dongle and see if that changes anything?
Moving all radio sources (phones, ipads, wifi aps, etc) to a different room for a day?

Doesn't come as a surprise if this is a Windows related problem. The controller itself is not supported as an Xbox Core controller (aka XSX). It shows up as a random XINPUT device which the Xbox Accessories app figures out to be the Core controller. Games can't see this, the damn Device Manager doesn't see this. Capture button doesn't work. This controller came out of MS months ago. Even Apple offers support already. Crazy stuff.
Yeah, as I've said Windows support for the Xbox controller is as barebones as it can be and that's completely unacceptable at this point, after all the words from MS on how they support PC gaming. They can't even support their own PC gaming peripherals.

That being said Windows 10 does see Xbox One gamepad as "Xbox One Wireless Controller". I've heard that new Xbox Series gamepads didn't have Windows drivers launched with them so maybe that's still the case.

Asus your GPU is idling at 53 Celsius you MASSIVE fucks. Setting the 0db mode to that temperature is going to fucking switch on and off the fans constantly.
Asus GPUs turn on the fans at any temperature as it's 0db logic tied not only to temps but to GPU load % change over time as well.

I cannot turn it off and make it a default because you don't let me easily customize the GPU BIOS and even your useless, totally ridiculous GPU Tweak II cannot save settings.
I think you can turn off 0db in their GPU Tweak (didn't try it myself really) but it will reset if you power down your PC completely at some point - as in pull the power plug from the wall or something like that.

Asus GPU/LED s/w is pure trash, that's for sure.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself very lucky to have avoided most of the issues with the wireless dongle. Perhaps the Xbox Accessories app worked some magic. My only issue is that it feels absolutely random when my controller decides to pair with the dongle. Sometimes it works immediately, other times it takes 5 minutes of messing around with the sync buttons on the dongle and controller, disconnecting and reconnecting the dongle, turning the controller off and on, etc.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Some things to try;
  • Plug into a USB 2 port rather than a USB 3 port if you can.
  • Use the supplied extension cable to route the dongle somewhere away from the PC.
  • Uninstall any other controller drivers, extensions, hacks etc. You'd be surprised what might cause a conflict. I had an Xbox 360 dongle and and Xbox One dongle fighting with each other for priority.
  • Make sure you've got the right driver installed. There are multiple versions of the Xbox accessory drivers available and some work better than others. Uninstall the driver via Device Manager, then try to reinstall.
  • Make sure the controller is updated via the controller app.
  • Try the controller and dongle on another PC and see if you get the same problem.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear you've tried multiple controllers just to verify that it is in fact the dongle causing the issue?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
  • Plug into a USB 2 port rather than a USB 3 port if you can.
  • Use the supplied extension cable to route the dongle somewhere away from the PC.
This two things helped me with my old MS dongle and xbox one controller.
Right now i'm using bt 4.0 dongle (plugged in the back of the case) with ds4 - no problems at all.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
In my experience the official wireless adapter is far more reliable than the native bluetooth connection. Haven't had any problems since I switched.

..which doesn't help the OP much :(
It seems to vary wildly. My motherboard (ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi) comes with a really decent bluetooth receiver that sits outside the case (an antenna) so it has exceptional range and stability by PC standards. Never had any FPS issues using wireless Xbox controllers through it, while I had plenty of them with my previous PC and had to buy an official dongle to help with that one.

I guess that's the problem with a lack of standardisation in PC builds. But certainly odd that even the dongle is causing issues.

OP
OP
Cats_Schrodinger
Oct 29, 2017

Just saw the thread.

I do not believe so no. Right now I have a stable connection with the controller albeit the range is still crap. Only thing I did is to move the dongle even closer.

I also have a 1660 Super which is a Gen 3 card. I set up the motherboard to force Gen 3 always because I have a raiser.

Funny thing is that my Huntsman Mini is also killing windows until an Explorer restart if I plug it in. This is unrelated to the dongle issue. It's a firmware issue on Razers end but interestingly it affects mostly new Ryzen setups.