• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Sigh...

The amount of frustration building a PC caused me is quite immense at this point. The funny thing is that it's not exactly what I expected. Everything went fine and I had some trouble down the road but nothing serious.

Until peripherals.

We've had wireless controllers as standard for 15 years. How the hell does the brand new WIreless Dongle with the new Xbox Core Controller manages to disconnect completely every 5 minutes. I have to restart the controller to do anything. It lights up like it's connected but it doesn't show up in device manager. (XINPUT HID device, because a MS peripheral didn't push out an update yet and the capture button still doesn't work.)

I had to get a Razer mouse because I got interference from USB ports with my Logitech one. I don't have USB 2.0 (why the hell is that still a thing? I understand mobo headers but not the ports). This is an open-case ITX build (XTIA Xproto).

I used the damn extender too which shipped with the controller, it is not in the proximity of any USB 3.0 ports. I turned off the power saving mode on the adapter too.

This is using the same technology which can give me a rock solid connection on the Xbox One X. What the actual fuck is going on. Is there a fix? I mean the dongle is in front of me, there is like 40 cm between it and the controller. Clear line of fucking sight. Yet, every 5 minutes or so it dies. I also get insane latency if I put my leg in between, this has never been a problem with the Xbox which sat right where my PC is.

Is there any fix? Any way I could get a decent wireless controller experience sitting 50 cm from the PC?

I know this post is a bit angry rant-y. I am mad, it's true, but I genuinely asking for help because at this point I ran out of ideas.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
have you tried updating the controller? allso if new series controller they have issues on pc currently

Nov 5, 2017
Sigh...

The amount of frustration building a PC caused me is quite immense at this point. The funny thing is that it's not exactly what I expected. Everything went fine and I had some trouble down the road but nothing serious.

Until peripherals.

We've had wireless controllers as standard for 15 years. How the hell does the brand new WIreless Dongle with the new Xbox Core Controller manages to disconnect completely every 5 minutes. I have to restart the controller to do anything. It lights up like it's connected but it doesn't show up in device manager. (XINPUT HID device, because a MS peripheral didn't push out an update yet and the capture button still doesn't work.)

I had to get a Razer mouse because I got interference from USB ports with my Logitech one. I don't have USB 2.0 (why the hell is that still a thing? I understand mobo headers but not the ports). This is an open-case ITX build (XTIA Xproto).

I used the damn extender too which shipped with the controller, it is not in the proximity of any USB 3.0 ports. I turned off the power saving mode on the adapter too.

This is using the same technology which can give me a rock solid connection on the Xbox One X. What the actual fuck is going on. Is there a fix? I mean the dongle is in front of me, there is like 40 cm between it and the controller. Clear line of fucking sight. Yet, every 5 minutes or so it dies. I also get insane latency if I put my leg in between, this has never been a problem with the Xbox which sat right where my PC is.

Is there any fix? Any way I could get a decent wireless controller experience sitting 50 cm from the PC?

I know this post is a bit angry rant-y. I am mad, it's true, but I genuinely asking for help because at this point I ran out of ideas.
Seems me to be a battery issue. Did you make sure that you have fresh batteries in the controller?

Cyryus

Nov 21, 2017
I had massive problems with both my Xbox One and Series X|S controllers on my PC using bluetooth. It discconects all the day and can't move away more then a foot or two. I decided to say fuck it and bought the official MS adapter (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...-for-windows-10-black/6253924.p?skuId=6253924) and it works perfect. I can connect both controllers at the same time and go across my living room and everything works. I did plug it in a USB 3.0 port in the back and I do use the extender so the adapter sits on my desk in the corner. Make sure once the adapter is plugged in and controllers connected, download the Xbox Accessory app from the Windows Store and update everything.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Bluetooth more reliable than the dongle for PCs anyway? I just use a tiny Bluetooth USB thing for both my WMR VR controllers and for the occasional wireless Xbox controller usage.

Cyryus

Nov 21, 2017
Isn't Bluetooth more reliable than the dongle for PCs anyway? I just use a tiny Bluetooth USB thing for both my WMR VR controllers and for the occasional wireless Xbox controller usage.
For my Switch, PS4 & 8bitdo controller bluetooth worked awesome, not for either Xbox One or X|S controllers. It sucks in my experience.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
I had massive problems with both my Xbox One and Series X|S controllers on my PC using bluetooth. It discconects all the day and can't move away more then a foot or two. I decided to say fuck it and bought the official MS adapter (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...-for-windows-10-black/6253924.p?skuId=6253924) and it works perfect. I can connect both controllers at the same time and go across my living room and everything works. I did plug it in a USB 3.0 port in the back and I do use the extender so the adapter sits on my desk in the corner. Make sure once the adapter is plugged in and controllers connected, download the Xbox Accessory app from the Windows Store and update everything.
Exactly the same for me. Bought the Official Xbox Wireless Adapter and haven't had any problems since:
Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 | Xbox

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Did you install any third party drivers for controllers like Dualshock 3 and Dualshock 4 to run on PC?

Oct 25, 2017
I have only ever heard the opposite. I tried Bluetooth (granted it was a pretty cheap dongle) and any distance between the controller and receiver caused serious performance issues, both in input lag and framerate.

I ruefully bought MS's dongle and it was actually a great decision. Extremely seamless experience with my two xbone pads.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
This is why I gave up on PC gaming. Sorry to hear about your frustrations. I had a similar issue when I was attempting a gaming PC setup a few years ago.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I also get insane latency if I put my leg in between

That is bizarre. What do you mean that you couldn't use a logitech mouse because of interference? That's not normal. I have to wonder if it's something to do with using the open case. Are you using wifi?

Wait, the dongle has the issues too? FFS I was gonna buy one.
I've been using the dongle for about 5 years without issue. Its bluetooth that can be sketchy on PC.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

I second this, i had a ton of problems connecting it via built in bluetooth, got the adapter and have not had a single problem since.

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
I use my XBONE controller via bluetooth and it disconects pretty often. Though it's not as aggravating as having the mother of all stick drifts after less than a year of use.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
I have only had issues with bluetooth, the official MS adapter works flawlessly with my XB1 pad. I haven't tried a Series controller yet though.

OP
OP
Cats_Schrodinger
Oct 29, 2017
That is bizarre. What do you mean that you couldn't use a logitech mouse because of interference? That's not normal. I have to wonder if it's something to do with using the open case. Are you using wifi?

I've been using the dongle for about 5 years without issue. Its bluetooth that can be sketchy on PC.

No Wi-Fi. USB 3.0 interference. Completely ruined the experience with the 2.4 Unifying radio.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The dongle is normally the best bet, so I don't know what's happening here.

I tried bluetooth on the new controllers out of curiosity and it was still pretty bad compared to my PS4, Switch and 8bitdo controllers. I have no idea why MS can't get this right. Rumble also didn't work for me for some reason unless I used the official dongle.

I thought the Series controllers were supposed to be a one-controller-for-everything kind of solution and they talked up the bluetooth but it's still bad, still has issues randomly disconnecting, etc. Sucks that the dongle is a requirement, especially if these problems carry over to Android/iOS where that isn't an option.

I'd write this off as a Windows bluetooth thing if it wasn't for the fact that every controller besides the ones from Microsoft works flawlessly for me.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wait, the dongle has the issues too? FFS I was gonna buy one.

Been using the Xbox controller dongle for over a year now and haven't had any connection issues with either a One X or Series X controller. Works much better than connecting it via bluetooth for me. Unfortunately that doesn't help the OP, but can just say the dongle has worked well for me.

OP
OP
Cats_Schrodinger
Oct 29, 2017
This is why I gave up on PC gaming. Sorry to hear about your frustrations. I had a similar issue when I was attempting a gaming PC setup a few years ago.

At this point I wondered if it is worth it just to get a Series X. Windows as a whole has been beyond terrible.

But this. I cannot understand what might be the problem. Everything is fine and suddenly insane latency, disconnect and it's dead.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Something's not right, one of the two parts might be a dud try to have them replaced with the seller maybe? I'm using the XSX controller with the official dongle over here and it just works flawlessly.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
No Wi-Fi. USB 3.0 interference. Completely ruined the experience with the 2.4 Unifying radio.
The unifying reciever logitech uses doesn't normally break when someone uses USB 3.0 though. I have one myself with a bunch of USB 3.0 peripherals (and the dongle itself is on a usb 3 port). This is why I wonder if something in the build is causing interference. I once had a cheap USB 3.0 hub that must have completely lacked shielding because it did interfere with nearby 2.4GHz whenever data was being transferred through it. What else is hooked up via USB? Did you try disconnecting all of it?

And even though you're not using wifi, if your motherboard has it, do you have it disabled? Some wifi software does scans/surveys of nearby wireless networks on regular intervals. You said it happens every 5 minutes. Can it literally be timed to that?

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Can confirm that I also had issues via Bluetooth.
Before using it for my tv setup I didn't even think that a BT connection can be to blame for bad framerate spikes and so on.
Took me quite some time to find out that it seems to be a common issue.

The DS4 on the other hand has never had such problems in my experience.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I've had my adapter right next to a Logitech bluetooth thing for ages without issue.

Maybe try uninstalling the driver and software, and give it a fresh start?

I used to have issues with the old, larger adapter a few years ago. But it was getting the initial connection aftera reboot, not frequent disconnects. That got sorted after an update.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
My Xbox controller tend to disconnect from PC when it's battery is dead, despite nothing anywhere showing that. In my experience Xbox controllers batteries are pure shit and you're better off running AA ones instead. But otherwise it's pretty solid so can't say that I'm seeing any of these issues. Windows side support for Xbox controller is very rudimentary, that's for sure.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using it wired which, frankly, is great. Doesn't need batteries at all.

But I've had it since Christmas and my RT is already sticking.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Series X controller with the wireless dongle... I had disconnects at first, and it got better with the controller firmware update. I started playing horizon zero dawn over the weekend and it will disconnect anytime you open the in game map/menus. Just went back to using a USB c cord. Ugh

Thecrunked

Oct 25, 2017
Here's your solution OP cause i had a bunch of problems as well and solved them 100%. First off, if its the xbox controller that requires the xbox brand usb dongle, just throw the dongle and the controller right in the trash where they belong. I've tried using various usb Bluetooth receivers with various results, the bottom line is, out of the 3 or 4 that I tried, none of them worked well.

buy an 8bitdo wireless adapter: https://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter/ they are cheap, work with every console as well as your pc and just work. note that you must update the firmware before you use it with your controller or you may experience problems. I have used this adapter with 100% perfect success every time.

just make sure that the dongle has a line of sight and with your controller. I have mine running off a usb hub by my tv stand, my pc is actually in my garage which shares a wall with where my tv stand is, so i have a usb extension cable running thru the wall that plugs into my hub. if the problem persists it may be worth wiping your drive and reinstalling windows.

Last edited:

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I believe the convention wisdom is the opposite. Which is also my experience, the wireless adapter is miles better than bluetooth has ever been for me.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
What's the problem with your PC that you're getting interference with USB to begin with? I kinda feel like that should be your focus before you expect everything USB related to work fine.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Alright, is there any place to buy a dongle at MSRP these days? I can't find the official one in stock without a markup...

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Dongle going out after exactly 5 minutes ?

Sounds to me the USB going to sleep because there's so little workload for controllers' dongle.
It should have a Power Management tab in its Device Manager entry, check if "allow the computer to turn off" is not enabled... this has been a source of problems for many people and devices in the past, because that's not something most people think about setting up.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a dongle for about 5 or 6 years, I don't remember exactly, maybe longer. I'm not sure if they changed the dongle and it's a newer model now or something.

It has issues in the beginning sometimes - like I'll need to disconnect it from the USB and reconect it, or re-pair it to the controller.

But once it's working it's usually good for that session. I tend not to leave it in and just replug it in when I need it. Usually have a higher success rate on connecting first try that way. Otherwise it's like it falls asleep and doesn't pair when I turn on the controller, I'm not sure.

It could also be my usb ports, or power settings I have no idea. These days I just tend to say fuck it and plug it in wired. Forza Horizon rips through the batteries anyway but at least the vibration on the triggers is nice. Don't get that with other PC games that I've played.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I too also have an official Microsoft Xbox dongle and occasionally experience dropouts with my Series controller, really annoying. Usually only happens once every session, so not as often as the OP, but still annoying as hell nonetheless. Controller is fully updated too.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I also get insane latency if I put my leg in between, this has never been a problem with the Xbox which sat right where my PC is.
I've had this problem for forever now when using xbox one controllers with my PC via bluetooth. My motherboard comes with an external bluetooth antenna that sits above my computer desk and is like, just a foot away from me. If my hands/controller is at my lap, directly underneath the desk, there's a huge chance I get really bad interference. It's doubly bad because the interference also causes performance issues, stuttering and framerate drops even with a full battery charge. This seems to only happen with Xbox controllers for me.

I've also had the "having a leg between controller and device interference" problem when it comes to using my controller with my Shield TV. When laying in a couch, if I so much as bend my legs a little to block line of sight, I end up with awful latency. I have 2 Shield TVs (Pro and Tube) and it happens to both, with 2 different Xbox One bluetooth controllers too.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
Are you using an Bluetooth dingle for pc or its an old controller with the Xbox controller dongle? I had lots of connection problems with my controller when using a sub-par Bluetooth dongle. But after buying a good one (real 5.0 one with Realtek drivers) I had absolutely 0 problems with connectivity even with both my headphones and the controller on Bluetooth and a wireless mouse via a separate dongle

OP
OP
Cats_Schrodinger
Oct 29, 2017
After some hours of troubleshooting I managed to improve the situation, but no real solution in sight.

I moved the dongle even closer to the controller, reinstalled drivers (did nothing of course), and I managed to get it working at a reasonable rate. I had power management set up (first thing I do always with these dongles), every setting nice, everything updated. I have a Razer dock far away from it and the only other thing plugged into the system is a USB cable for the keyboard.

Still, the fact that I have to be in extremely close proximity (6m my arse) and I have to move the dongle away from USB 3.0 ports or any metal is crazy. USB 3.0 is an absolute insanity in itself, one of the biggest fuckups I've seen in terms of technology.

But yeah, if someone expects to turn his PC into something akin to an Xbox might be seriously disappointed.

And I don't take RF interference and such as an excuse. I'm sorry but we've been using these for 15 years now. Microsoft can solve this problem, their consoles are fine. With my experience with Windows as a whole, I suspect the problem lies somewhere there.

Rant time (not relevant to the problem but I wanted to write this for a long time):

Doesn't come as a surprise if this is a Windows related problem. The controller itself is not supported as an Xbox Core controller (aka XSX). It shows up as a random XINPUT device which the Xbox Accessories app figures out to be the Core controller. Games can't see this, the damn Device Manager doesn't see this. Capture button doesn't work. This controller came out of MS months ago. Even Apple offers support already. Crazy stuff.

The fucking Play and Charge kit is a joke. I got one for the 360. It broke after 3 months. Absolutely ass quality battery. People convinced me that this was no longer the problem with the Xbox One so I bite. To their credit, the battery holds up well after years, the problem is I cannot charge it without putting a fucking cardboard piece under the battery because somehow MS managed to fuck up the very simple concept of making contact with the damn device. I absolutely astonished that they managed to fuck this up. Maybe they didn't bother to change the design when the controller was redesigned (even though I got the new one with the non-green box). Fuck this shit. I am literally afraid to get the new Play and Charge kit because of this. Of course the current one still doesn't charge without the cardboard trick in the new controller.

In terms of wireless, I am not surprised. There is an infinite list of things that Windows doesn't do well. Sure, scaling? Crap. HDR? Complete arse. But fucking wireless? I come from a totally basic 2017 MBP (2 TB). That thing, which is touted to be the biggest piece of shit computer that ever existed (especially by this forum) can handle Wi-Fi connections easily. To my surprise the connections that were completely reliable and rock solid on the Mac are an absolute shitshow under windows with a dedicated antenna and a brand new Wi-Fi 6 motherboard. And let's talk about Bluetooth. I had zero problems with mice and keyboards, I was all wireless. Now even with the very few crap that needs to work on the big blue I have constant problems. Just as an FYI both the logitech Unifying receiver and this stupid ass Xbox dongle works well with that damn Mac. They are sitting literally next to each other on the desk.

What about monitors? Well what about them. They work fine enough. Unless you are trying to use some absolute cutting edge technology like USB-C. Well cutting edge for Microsoft, who managed to not put a single one on the XSX. So the Mac works with USB-C. It can make it spin a bit, but nothing serious. What about Bootcamp? Just to be clear here, I am using the Intel drivers for the TB3 and the GPU too. Apple cannot fuck this up even if they want to with their ass drivers. What happens? Constant blanking out, regardless of resolution and refresh rate. Same port, same monitor, same cable but macOS? Works like a charm. This has been a problem for years.

This is a simple example of why people use macs.

Rant off.

Of course the PC is more powerful and I'm glad I have it here now. I don't hate MS, in fact I love the Xbox and their current initiatives. But some stupid fuckups have been building up in me for some time and I had to vent a bit. I'm also not suggesting that the mac is in any way an alternative but it's safe to say that some stuff is definitely a lot better there and I kind of took it for granted.

Oh and one more thing: Fuck 0db modes on GPUs. Asus your GPU is idling at 53 Celsius you MASSIVE fucks. Setting the 0db mode to that temperature is going to fucking switch on and off the fans constantly. I cannot turn it off and make it a default because you don't let me easily customize the GPU BIOS and even your useless, totally ridiculous GPU Tweak II cannot save settings. And why would I want to start a terrible application every time I log in? What is this obsession in Windows with such stupidity? My fucking mouse has built-in memory. So I need to do a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, the only program that works (it's not good either make no mistake). FINE. But what about Linux? Figure it out eh? Sure enough, at least we have decent open-source devs figured this out so you don't have to. All because you had to put in a feature that nobody needs, nobody wants and has no use whatsoever. (The GPU sits in front of me in an open case and you cannot tell if the fans are running under 35% RPMs).

To be honest, this felt good. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Upgrading to a Bluetooth 5.0 adapter fixed all of my issues with the Xbox One/Series and Switch Pro Controllers

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because I had issues with the official adapter, but when my kids broke it I switched to a generic Bluetooth dongle. Haven't had an issue since.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I've had the dongle for, i think, about 3 years now. To this day, since day 1, i'll go through phases of having to unplug it everytime I reboot Windows. If i dont, my controller wont connect.

The thing is a piece of crap. Also, when it was plugged into a USB 3.0 slot it would disconnect randomly.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've had every single xbox controller and dongle for PC and if someone asks me "what is the most reliable ?", I always point them to a wired or wireless genuine 360 controller. In all of my time, those were the only ones that were completely rock solid. Every other controller has had an issue at one time or another.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Just to confirm we're talking about this dongle right?

9d1447a0-8aa1-4492-b620-d1bc0c58d9e6.jpg

Never had issues with this one.

Nov 2, 2017
I bought a Shock Blue Series X controller and was having similar wireless adaptor issues like you. In my case, the controller was still on and connected and also still able to pass audio through the headset but not responding to any input.

I hooked my controller up to my Xbox One and it prompted a controller update. Then I was prompted a console update so I did that too. That then prompted another controller update so I did it again. Since then the controller has been working with no problems so try that if you haven't yet. I saw that you have the accessories app so idk if that shows up any updates for your controller. Just sharing what helped me.

Also for me my controller shows up as an XINPUT compatible HID device where as my old Xbox One controller showed up as an actual Xbox controller so I guess that's intended. Capture button doesn't do anything either.