• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 16, 2019
It's crazy how now consumers realize that they can have a say and are rightfully protesting and not putting up with these shenanigans and people are like "Think about the corporations.: Not all of us are corporate bootlickers thankuverymuch

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I came upon the phrase "spherical horse in a vacuum", which I hope is an actual Russian saying, and not just something willed into existence by Google Translate.
But either way I like it.

Oh it's a thing. Translation robots are getting too good.

Somewhat unrelated, but if it can be confirmed, caught my eye

KZRv2CD.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/b0jezz/director_of_publishing_strategy_for_epic_games/
Apparently this is what happened here.
Sergey Galyonkin (@galyonkin), Director of Publishing Strategy for Epic Games Store, liked the tweet from popular russian gaming-and-pop culture account @turbojedi which reads: "The most remarkable thing about the whole Epic Games Store movement is gamers, who are accustomed to the fact that videogame developers/publishers owe them something by default, finally discover that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysteric requirements are sometimes still sent to fuck off."
Sergey is not only high ranking manager of Epic but also quite prominent public figure of Russian game-dev community, co-host of the popular Russian podcast about game development and founder of Steam Spy.
Screenshot of the tweet and his 'likes' page on twitter.
UPDATE: Seems like he removed his like from this tweet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...f_publishing_strategy_for_epic_games/eif0bcn/

Last edited:

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still feel like Epic arent considering this from all angles. Yeah its nice that you can have a game exclusive to your store. But all this negativity is just gonna be poison to their store.

It would have been so much simpler to give a significant discount and undercut Steam on pricing. Offer developers the full price and absorb the cost themselves.

$60 game on steam vs $40 game on Epic store and you would have had people jumping to use their store. Without any negativity.
that's actually a good idea

Epic would still be footing the economic bill, but it would be less negative PR for both sides

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I came upon the phrase "spherical horse in a vacuum", which I hope is an actual Russian saying, and not just something willed into existence by Google translating Russian. But either way I like it.
Spherical cows in abstract conditions used to be the most memetic meme during physics lessons, so it may be some variation of that.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I am curious why Epic does not pool the money they use and instead just build a dev support system. They have the Unreal engine and the support for it is brilliant. Get the indies and mid level studios offer publishing deals from the start and they would not look like assholes to the community.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I am curious why Epic does not pool the money they use and instead just build a dev support system. They have the Unreal engine and the support for it is brilliant. Get the indies and mid level studios offer publishing deals from the start and they would not look like assholes to the community.
Because as I mentioned before, they don't want to foot any of the risk. Which is how you get situations like this.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, maybe not rush to sensationalize this?

"Most remarkable thing about whole EGS movement is gamers, who are accustomed to the fact that videogame devs/pubs owe them something by default, finally discover that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysteric requirements are sometimes can be asked to fuck off."

->

"Most remarkable thing about whole EGS situation is the gamers, who are accustomed to the fact that videogame devs/pubs owe them something by default, finally discover that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysteric requirements are sometimes can be asked to fuck off."

with Galyonkin's fixes to translation. Not that different actually.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This sadly won't happen. Even here on Era, hundreds of people are happy to support them according to a recent poll.
Yeah but I'm not convinced it's enough people to make it worth it for them in the long run.

Maybe the next year or so people should definitely brace for impact in terms of Epic ramming trucks full of $$$ into developers/publishers. They for sure have some kind of "is this worth it" deadline in mind, but we are only in the beginning phase.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

"Most remarkable thing about whole EGS movement is gamers, who are accustomed to the fact that videogame devs/pubs owe them something by default, finally discover that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysteric requirements are sometimes can be asked to fuck off."

->

"Most remarkable thing about whole EGS situation is the gamers, who are accustomed to the fact that videogame devs/pubs owe them something by default, finally discover that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysteric requirements are sometimes can be asked to fuck off."

he claimed someone here was "completely wrong" with their translation with the podcast, and it turned out...there was nothing misunderstood

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the next year or so people should definitely brace for impact in terms of Epic ramming trucks full of $$$ into developers/publishers. They for sure have some kind of "is this worth it" deadline in mind, but we are only in the beginning phase.
I fully agree but I also feel that long term it's only going to hurt them how they are handling this and ultimately it won't make their store any better.

Oct 26, 2017
I still feel like Epic arent considering this from all angles. Yeah its nice that you can have a game exclusive to your store. But all this negativity is just gonna be poison to their store.

It would have been so much simpler to give a significant discount and undercut Steam on pricing. Offer developers the full price and absorb the cost themselves.

$60 game on steam vs $40 game on Epic store and you would have had people jumping to use their store. Without any negativity.
See no that would be a form of moneyhatting that would it look at least superficially good and pass some value on to the consumer to increase Goodwill, that's far too intelligent for the level Epic is operating at.

No they're just going to make sure that their core audience fucking despises them.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible. It's already been confirmed that Valve requires developers not to treat its customers as second-class citizens by offering a lower MSRP or additional (in-game) features on other stores.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This sadly won't happen. Even here on Era, hundreds of people are happy to support them according to a recent poll.

I don't know that Era should be taken as representative of the PC gaming at all.

Most of the people on that poll are almost certainly console only gamers who have no interest in PC gaming or the issues with the Epic Store.

PC gaming Era is a minority.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

->

it's what he keeps doing

oh that's a bad translation

i actually meant this:

says exactly the same thing

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
LOL. Less than 24hrs ago it was, "Backers, here's your Epic key. We'll launch on Steam/GOG next year."

All this backpedaling reads like they're in full-on, panicked Damage Control Mode.

Love to be a fly on the wall at their offices. Wearing a flame suit, of course.

I don't see any backpedaling here. Looks like they've elaborated on their initial message.

No doubt a lot of angry gamers have been sending them angry messages since the announcement.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they underestimated the backlash. But that's part of the deal.

Idiotic if so. Like the Metro bait and switch a few weeks before release, doing it with a kickstarter title that the fans bought into early is even more of a mess.

If Shenmue 3 went Epic exclusive just a short bit before launch there will be a scene from a big cat enclosure if a herd if zebras get dropped in.

As I always say, if you're going to do timed exclusivity it has to be decided early, communicated clearly and not any bait/switch nonsense. Only then may you even stand a chance of slipping by with only a few minor grumbles.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Epic has a very clear idea where to take their store. And is clear is not where Steam took it from all these years. They made it clear they don't intend to create a better store than Steam and possibly most of the features Steam offers goes against their own philosophy, they want to create PSN not a Steam-like store.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

->

Uhhhhh excuse me, but the part where it says "finally discover" is actually "finally, with flapping eyes, discover". So it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

Btw, the translation is totally on point, like does this guy really think that there are no other Russian speakers(like me) out there that will call him out on his bullshit?

Oct 26, 2017

From what I remember, only ~10% of people in a recent poll said they have or would purchase a game from the EGS. Considering such a thread would be self selecting by nature (so non-PC gamers would not take the poll at high numbers), that's pretty small. It's even worse when you consider that Era is a VERY pro-dev community, so are much more likely to buy into Epic's narrative than other (sometimes toxic) portions of the gaming community.

In addition, I also feel like if games were doing very well on EGS, we'd have heard some success stories by now (other than claims they didn't need to sell any copies to be profitable, thanks to the Epic payout.) Even Ubi's claim of increased preorders reads more like a UPlay success, not an EGS one.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I think Epic has a very clear idea where to take their store. And is clear is not where Steam took it from all these years. They made it clear they don't intend to create a better store than Steam and possibly most of the features Steam offers goes against their own philosophy, they want to create PSN not a Steam-like store.
I'm sure if the store works, Sweeney will try to lock behind a paywall features like online play or cloud saving.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know that Era should be taken as representative of the PC gaming at all.

Most of the people on that poll are almost certainly console only gamers who have no interest in PC gaming or the issues with the Epic Store.

PC gaming Era is a minority.

It definitely isn't, and you also have to take into account the many console people here who support Epic just to be anti-Steam because it was largely responsible for the rise of PC gaming in the last decade. The amount of driveby posts in every one of these threads is enough evidence of that.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

->

I sometimes forget about the comma usage in Russian myself (way different from English). It should sound like this if that's what he thinks the tweet intends to say.

'The most remarkable thing about the whole EGS movement/situation* is that (the) gamers who have all gotten used to developers/publishers owing them something are surprised to see that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysterical demands are sometimes told to fuck off anyway.'

It's abbreviated and I wouldn't read it that way myself, but it's whatever you see in it. (I did not read it as геймеры (gamers) with an implied которые (which/that) afterwards). In my eyes, it's more like a parenthetical and I would've interpreted it closer to what Ales wrote.

* this is probably some slang that I'm not getting

But regardless, the meaning is largely the same. It's still an entitled gaming rant. Still salty. Still not a great look.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It applies only to selling steam keys though.

It applies to all services (such as UPlay, EGS, Origin etc., not key sellers like GMG AFAIK) that you cannot have a lower MSRP or additional features. Like, you can't have two exclusive levels on another service that Steam users cannot access. AFAIK you can have preorder specials and the like, but you cannot say "This game retails for $60 on Steam but has a base price of $50 on our store." (Note that Metro doesn't count, as it was removed from Steam when it moved to EGS at the reduced price.)

If there are examples of either happening, I'm certainly open to being proven wrong!

OP
OP
BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
From what I remember, only ~10% of people in a recent poll said they have or would purchase a game from the EGS. Considering such a thread would be self selecting by nature (so non-PC gamers would not take the poll at high numbers), that's pretty small. It's even worse when you consider that Era [thinks of it as a] VERY pro-dev community, so are much more likely to buy into Epic's narrative than other (sometimes toxic) portions of the gaming community.

In addition, I also feel like if games were doing very well on EGS, we'd have heard some success stories by now (other than claims they didn't need to sell any copies to be profitable, thanks to the Epic payout.) Even Ubi's claim of increased preorders reads more like a UPlay success, not an EGS one.

FTFY

Don't get me wrong. This place is probably better than lots of other places but I have seen people on here getting mad at devs for using Unity as an engine rather than UE4 which has a "save as .switch" function.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
this situation is scummy as fuck and goes muvh more towards showing the ethics of the devs than epic. They really turn their back on the people who helped fund the game the moment a bigger bag of money was dropped on them...