• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot by one of the devs, about the conversation they had about providing Steam/GOG keys after the exclusivity has ended.
They hadn't even checked this before the announcement, and went ahead believing that they would not provide keys for Steam/GOG at all.

"We can probably do that" is a quote I will associate this game with from now on.

YpqeyXB.png

Jesus why would they put that out there? Surely this was a disgruntled dev or something rather than damage control? That does not reflect well on them.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
100% of people could have refunded and they would still be in the black? How does that work?

Epic are providing devs money equivalent to a minimum number of sales, if that target isn't reached by actual sales.

Jesus why would they put that out there? Surely this was a disgruntled dev or something rather than damage control?

No he isn't disgruntled, he's trying to be transparent.

To my knowledge, it's real and not a mockup/joke attempt, even though it looks like that.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
We all know how it went.

Epic: We will give you a big beautiful fat check so you release your game on our store exclusively for one year.
Snapshot Games: How much?
Epic: *insert amount of money here*.
Snapshot Games: DEAL!
Epic: Oh, and also...
Snapshot Games: Shut up and give us our money.

True I just imagine Epic dropped a bag of money and they signed this immediately but like the fact they had to check with epic if they could provide steam and GOG keys is just incredibly bad.

And now that they are continuing with the ama is the equivalent to a conductor running the train at full speed even though they are going through a broken bridge that they broke.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for transparency but they should probably do it in a way that isn't going to elicit more frustration from their community.

we've learned many times over, than developers do not know how to PR, at all. Complete lack of understanding of the implications of the things they say and do.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is super shitty, especially for a crowd funded game, and I hope it completely tanks the games sales and hurts any future games the devs might make

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I bought Xcom 1 & 2 but I cant support this practice. I wont be buying anything from the Epic store. I dont like moneyhatting in the PC sphere in particular

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This is super shitty, especially for a crowd funded game, and I hope it completely tanks the games sales and hurts any future games the devs might make

That is already a fact, in that the devs have burnt the bridges with the crowdfunding community, and will struggle badly to pull through another such campaign.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Those Epic money hats must be enormous. Doesn't seem like companies are even planning for EGS sales at all. Just sell the exclusivity and if the game sells any actual copies it's a bonus.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to take your assumption - that there is no other conceivable way for anybody to rival steam - at face value. I disagree, but for arguments sake let's assume.

What is the long term benefit to dethroning steam in the PC space for customers, keeping in mind that Steam does not compete only with other PC digital distribution platforms, but also with the attention and money of people who game on smart phones, people who game on the Nintendo Switch, people who game on the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One, and people who will be gaming on Google's new platform? The same games are available in most places. For a lot of indie games the Switch has been a huge driver of sales, the largest single platform. For AAA games, consoles are the largest market. For F2P games, smart phones are huge. There's a whole world of games that are on phones that never make it to PC.

If it had a 100% marketshare on PC, the absolute worst case scenario, Steam could not jack up prices too far or make services too much worse or whatever else because PC is not the only game in town. People can easily take their money to consoles and to smart phones, they are not actually trapped into the PC forever for gaming. The consequences of this "monopoly" everyone keeps speaking of has been, thus far, the best client by far on the platform, industry leading features for developers and consumers, and opening the door to more independent developers having their games published than ever before.

Epic's funding of indie developers is ephemeral. It is not their long term strategy, it is simply a temporary expedient for them to embed themselves in the market. If they fail, the subsidies go away. If they succeed, the subsidies still go away. If independent developers need charity to survive, then their market isn't sustainable, and they will simply die when the subsidies end instead of dying now. They are only available to a tiny handful of developers strategically chosen by Epic anyway. The difference in cut on the EGS is cool, but considering the median game sales of an indie game is approximately 0, the number of "sink or swim" cases decided by that cut is not large. Successful indies on Steam are getting a <30% raw cut once they cross the $1 million USD revenue mark (basically, if you have a 5+ person team and you earn below this threshold you're not earning a living wage regardless of what cut they're taking), and EGS taking processing fees on top of their cut further narrows that gap for actually-selling-decently developers. EGS plans to let on a shitload of games long term, that's on record, their discoverability plan is "let streamers find the game and promote them for a cut of the money", so the store not being inundated with games stealing people's attention and generally poor discover-ability is also a temporary situation.

This isn't about dethroning Steam. The long-term benefit is the accelerating competition: more marketing, grants for developers, exclusive content, platforms actively scouting promising prototypes, hosting events connecting publishers and developers, platforms helping Asian publishers with the Western releases, platforms bringing the game to the Asian audiences.

A long term benefit could be a chance for the competition where Epic Game Store banners are flying instead of Playstation during Football games, Steam funding the Western release of some Korea/China only game (like Lost Ark was), Google/MS/EA rolling a low-cost game sub service, or someone making better integrations with Twitch/Discord.

If the market is over-saturated, then I would prefer companies like Epic or Google to throw their money around, eventually fading away with their platforms, but funding better or more games in the process, even if it is a temporary thing.

This could be a fantasy and nobody has plans to grow the entire PC/Gaming market... Yet, even if the Epic Store fails to get any traction, this isn't a console or software where I have to invest money, and I can do without the cloud saves in Metro. I understand the negativity and even boycotts of the store because others need features that I don't, the price of the "platform wars" is not the same for everybody.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Those Epic money hats must be enormous. Doesn't seem like companies are even planning for EGS sales at all. Just sell the exclusivity and if the game sells any actual copies it's a bonus.

I hope these companies know that the epic fornite money will be drained at some point. The only thing that will remain is angry costumer who they lied to.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like companies are even planning for EGS sales at all. Just sell the exclusivity and if the game sells any actual copies it's a bonus.

It's like some developers don't even care how many units are passed on to customers as long as they get a fat paycheck from Epic.

What a cynical way to approach an artistic endeavor.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't about dethroning Steam. The long-term benefit is the accelerating competition: more marketing, grants for developers, exclusive content, platforms actively scouting promising prototypes, hosting events connecting publishers and developers, platforms helping Asian publishers with the Western releases, platforms bringing the game to the Asian audiences.

A long term benefit could be a chance for the competition where Epic Game Store banners are flying instead of Playstation during Football games, Steam funding the Western release of some Korea/China only game (like Lost Ark was), Google/MS/EA rolling a low-cost game sub service, or someone making better integrations with Twitch/Discord..

Basically, you want to turn storefronts into publishers. How many devs is this supposed to help out of the thousands out there? You realize that Epic, without its Fortnite money will barely have the resources to help bankroll any developers. It's amazing actually, arguing for a lower cut, while asking more from storefronts.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It's like some developers don't even care how many units are passed on to customers as long as they get a fat paycheck from Epic.

They have become much like the EAs or Activisions of the world. It isn't about the games they make, those are just hobbies, to them it is about the easy returns they get.

I call them hobbies, because these paydays have divorced them from the act of producing a desirable product that people want to buy. To them it's "we'll put it out there, but whether people buy it, play it, it's whatever".

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

A long term benefit could be a chance for the competition where Epic Game Store banners are flying instead of Playstation during Football games, Steam funding the Western release of some Korea/China only game (like Lost Ark was), Google/MS/EA rolling a low-cost game sub service, or someone making better integrations with Twitch/Discord.

If the market is over-saturated, then I would prefer companies like Epic or Google to throw their money around, eventually fading away with their platforms, but funding better or more games in the process, even if it is a temporary thing.

This could be a fantasy and nobody has plans to grow the entire PC/Gaming market... Yet, even if the Epic Store fails to get any traction, this isn't a console or software where I have to invest money, and I can do without the cloud saves in Metro. I understand the negativity and even boycotts of the store because others need features that I don't, the price of the "platform wars" is not the same for everybody.

Thats a fine talk about bring in asian audiences and asian publishers,

For a store that isn't even avaliable in China.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

Yeah thats my thought, Its a creative industry. Don't they want people to play their game first and foremost? Wasn't the game was funded 150%? so it was going to release and possibly could have sold well. The money offered must have been so good. They have basically swapped customers for Epic money.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you doing the AMA lol. There is a zero percent chance it will make people change their mind. And like a 90% chance you will say something that will make it worse and become a meme. Remember EA's "feel pride and accomplishment" bit?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what's the endgame for Epic here? they can't moneyhat every game forever. Seems shortsighted business-wise. They have to attract people with new games from the studio itself (like Fortnite) or fund a project from another developers. I can't see them doing this for more than a year or two imo.

As long as they've got that mtx money they can keep buying game after game until they starve the competition of hot new releases.

Then take over and do whatever the hell they want. Online paywall to play Epic's store of exclusive games? You bet your ass it can happen.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel disgust and resentment towards Epic and their partners and this feeling is getting stronger with each new exclusivity announcement. At first I was annoyed but was prepared to wait a year, but now it's gotten to the point that I don't even want to touch these games even after a year period is up. There will be newer and better games by that time.

I'm not sure what Epic's endgoal here is, do they really believe they can brute force their way into owning a popular storefront even if it is surrounded by bad publicity and negativity? PC gamers can hold a grudge for years and even decades. Not sure how this will work out for Epic in the long term.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I feel disgust and resentment towards Epic and their partners and this feeling is getting stronger with each new exclusivity announcement. At first I was annoyed but was prepared to wait a year, but now it's gotten to the point that I don't even want to touch these games even after a year period is up. There will be newer and better games by that time.

I'm not sure what Epic's endgoal here is, do they really believe they can brute force their way into owning a popular storefront even if it is surrounded by bad publicity and negativity? PC gamers can hold a grudge for years and even decades. Not sure how this will work out for Epic in the long term.
They're seemingly buying out publications to do their pr work too.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ughh this is just awful. I was so excited when I saw Phoenix Point announced and was really looking forward to playing another Xcom Like.

Epic can go fuck itself.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They're seemingly buying out publications to do their pr work too.
I do wish PC Gamer would actually disclose who is doing the sponsorship on their "sponsored" posts. It's not clear if it's the publisher or Epic when it is games on Epic store. I think the decision to not be transparent about that is the wrong one, and makes them look like they have something to hide.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually completely understand the idea of announcing and releasing an Epic Store exclusive (timed or otherwise). I get opting for that 88% take instead of 70% take. I don't blame any publisher or dev making that choice like Supergiant did for Hades.

But it's so fucking scummy to announce and advertise a game on a different platform and then switch platforms, and it's ten times scummier to do so with a crowd-funded game where the previous platform was part of the pitch.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States

I think this post sums up how a lot of PC players feel. What is the point of any of this? Pissing off all of your potential customers is the weirdest business strategy I have ever seen.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I actually completely understand the idea of announcing and releasing an Epic Store exclusive (timed or otherwise). I get opting for that 88% take instead of 70% take. I don't blame any publisher or dev making that choice like Supergiant did for Hades.

But it's so fucking scummy to announce and advertise a game on a different platform and then switch platforms, and it's ten times scummier to do so with a crowd-funded game where the previous platform was part of the pitch.
Excuse me, but these developers didn't sign the deal because of the cut. They signed the deal because Epic gave them money. Enough money for survive a year, according to them.

As for the second, Valve really needs to update their terms of use. If developers announce a game to be released on Steam and even create a game page, they must honor it instead of releasing the game on another launcher first.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
As for the second, Valve really needs to update their terms of use. If developers announce a game to be released on Steam and even create a game page, they must honor it instead of releasing the game on another launcher first.

The wrinkle for that is that they can't really do that. That'd be a bit of a legal mess to untangle, a lot of devs might not want to do that, and it's kinda counter to Valve's current let it ride mentality

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The wrinkle for that is that they can't really do that. That'd be a bit of a legal mess to untangle, a lot of devs might not want to do that, and it's kinda counter to Valve's current let it ride mentality
Well, I was always bad in legal stuff. But is there something Valve can do to prevent this?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stolen from reddit
h85ndar19vl21.png

On the one hand, this is refreshingly honest

On the other hand "We knew our supporters would hate it, but we did it anyways because $$$" is a very encapsulating statement of why I shouldn't give a shit about indiedevs well being.

That sounds like a challenge lmao.

Some well-needed honesty for folks around here who act like games are barely making money unless all the shittest business decisions/monetary moves just get accepted/waved away.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thats my thought, Its a creative industry. Don't they want people to play their game first and foremost? Wasn't the game was funded 150%? so it was going to release and possibly could have sold well. The money offered must have been so good. They have basically swapped customers for Epic money.
I mean no like let's be clear they are a business with employees first and foremost, they exist to make money.

The problem is this is stupid from a business perspective because they have a hardcore dedicated fanbase and those are the type of people you piss off most with a decision like this. Whatever they got from Epic upfront can't possibly cover the damage to their reputation.
---
So like maybe they're okay for this first game but these are still pretty niche products so when they want to go to the crowdfunding well a second time, which they almost certainly will, what the fuck are they going to do then?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man talk about showing a middle finger to your biggest fans, many of which are backers and investors. Enjoy that Epic payday guys, gonna have a hard time promoting your next project especially with games like Phoenix Point being pretty niche.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me, but these developers didn't sign the deal because of the cut. They signed the deal because Epic gave them money. Enough money for survive a year, according to them.

In the case of Supergiant and Hades, is it confirmed anywhere that they were moneyhatted? Supergiant's blog suggests it's just Supergiant utilizing Epic as a platform for Early Access progress. https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/

Not that I'm dismissing the notion out of hand - it's quite possible it's part of a cold cash deal, but from my perspective it's just as viable to launch to a platform with a much more generous revenue split and has the visibility of the Fortnite crowd.

Oct 25, 2017
Also I know a lot of PR people try and go for that like faux conversational "yo we're also part of the community" bullshit but maybe if you're about to write a statement that straight-up just reads like "hey people who gave us money upfront you don't matter" you should shut the fuck up.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Supergiant and Hades, is it confirmed anywhere that they were moneyhatted? Supergiant's blog suggests it's just Supergiant utilizing Epic as a platform for Early Access progress. https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/

Not that I'm dismissing the notion out of hand - it's quite possible it's part of a cold cash deal, but from my perspective it's just as viable to launch to a platform with a much more generous revenue split and has the visibility of the Fortnite crowd.
They never said anything but I have no doubt in my mind they were moneyhatted.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

If you think logically only conclusion is that they got money. There was no reason at all to go with Epic for EA instead of Steam that is much better platform for EA.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stolen from reddit
h85ndar19vl21.png

On the one hand, this is refreshingly honest

On the other hand "We knew our supporters would hate it, but we did it anyways because $$$" is a very encapsulating statement of why I shouldn't give a shit about indiedevs well being.

Lol, he's my friend, I wondered how long it would be until I saw his name in relation to this.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

We don't know if Supergiant received a money bag from Epic, although most likely they did. Otherwise, why limit themselves to EGS only?

And no, most of the Fortnite crowd won't buy the game, even if Epic pesters them with ads. Even the Steamspy dude proved with charts and numbers that people who use a platform to play F2P games hardly buy games.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot by one of the devs, about the conversation they had about providing Steam/GOG keys after the exclusivity has ended.
They hadn't even checked this before the announcement, and went ahead believing that they would not provide keys for Steam/GOG at all.

"We can probably do that" is a quote I will associate this game with from now on.

YpqeyXB.png

Yeah they will struggle to get through another crowdfunding campaign at least, for future projects. That's a door they have closed with this.

Oh lord

Oct 25, 2017

okay but then look at it like this does the Fortnite crowd care about some random isometric roguelike based around Greek mythology and is there a reasonable expectation that they would? And then you look at the fact that that store doesn't have a way to convenient way to leave digestible feedback.

So if you say to me hey we're a developer putting this game in Early Access so we can get player feedback and you put it on a store that doesn't allow player feedback you're either incompetent, lying about wanting feedback or you received some compensation in some way shape or form.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I can accept broader strategic choices by publishers, but a Kickstarter title that previously banked on specific distribution channels is just plain acting in bad faith when they pull something like this.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda fucked up that they signed a deal with Epic where they have to check with Epic if they are allowed to honour their promise to backers.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

YpqeyXB.png

Yeah they will struggle to get through another crowdfunding campaign at least, for future projects. That's a door they have closed with this.

"Hey Mum/Dad, can we do this?"

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I understand the complaints about exclusivity, but in the long run I think this is beneficial. They need this kind of deal to grow their userbase, to become a known store, then in the future it will be another store competing in price. It is much easier to attract users by selling games inly there than adding this of that feature to their service.