• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it must have been a big load of cash for them to make this decision. They have secured their immediate future for the next year or two at the expense of some fanbase negative opinion. The problem then is hoping that the next game will sell and that their audience forget/forgive/don't care about this current turn of events. I've gone from 'buy on day one' to 'probably wait for a good sale price'.
I don't believe that people will hold a grudge to that extent unless they pull this same shit twice. I can't think of a boycott that lasted over 2 years and into a dev's next game and major enough to threaten sales.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isnt about Steam features or how easy is to set up Epics Store, its about anti consumer practices by Epic and some devs/publishers. I dont put consumerism above my own principles.

Great, but is it possible to do that without the insults and passive aggressive attitude towards others by implying everyone has a memory of a goldfish?

I'm glad I never bought anything in Fortnite.

Neither did I nor will I.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are so confident about how great they are for developers why not just let them release it on multiple storefronts? They know they'd get destroyed in sales comparisons so it's pretty clear why they buy full exclusivity.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The dark years where really the "piracy panic and 'PC Gaming Alliance" of the mid to late aughts.

Epic Games store won't be able to even scratch the surface of my enjoyment in regards to pc gaming. PC gaming is incredibily resistant to walled gardens.

I like it. It clears the air and everyone knows where everyone else stands.

Makes that joke of an RPS article look even worse though.
It's definitely disappointing given the previous RPS article that took a very critical look at the situation

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The discord for the game is not a pretty sight now. I haven't been a frequent participant there before, but to mee it looks like it's pretty much in ruins.
Maybe it will recover, but for now it looks quite destroyed.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
We got our money. Fuck you.

What a refreshing attitude.
That is the sum total of it. But again, security is a helluva drug, fleeting around this industry in general. Can we really blame an indie dev for choosing security with conditions for the next X years? Knowing what the casualty rate of indie developers is? Your families can't eat honor and integrity, and while I'm sure they would have preferred keeping it (this may have ramifications for future crowd-funding attempts), this time the bag was really just that big.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I suddenly realized that Epic is buying exclusivity using the money everyone gave them for Fortnite battle passes and cosmetic mtx

Kind of amusing looking back on the great lootbox debates of 2017 and 2018

"Cosmetics don't harm anyone, Fortnite has a great model"

Flash forward to 2019 and Epic are singly handily worsening gaming on PC because of all those cosmetics

E3 2019 is going be a mess, we're gonna see so many EGS exclusives

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's definitely disappointing given the previous RPS article that took a very critical look at the situation

I wouldn't be surprised if another writer, maybe someone on staff, writes their own take and posts it today or tomorrow. Article went down like a led balloon, article has like 250 comments on it. I'm super ready to forgive RPS if they have a "second opinion" posted on their site, as RPS will probably always have a special place in my heart.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what's the endgame for Epic here? they can't moneyhat every game forever. Seems shortsighted business-wise. They have to attract people with new games from the studio itself (like Fortnite) or fund a project from another developers. I can't see them doing this for more than a year or two imo.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we think about it, this might potentially hurt other crowdfunding projects from other studios as well.

What's the assurance that people will get what they back for? Everything can be snagged by Epic now.

I asked that very question in the Discord, but the employee there wanted me to ask David or Julian of Snapshot Games on the AMA about that. Unfortunately I will not be home when they run that, so I will miss that opportunity.

But the fact is that they have blown a hole in Fig and other crowdfunding platforms with this. Why would anyone part with a significant sum for a game, that long before release, if the devs cannot uphold the most basic promises such as release platform?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, they're actually still doing the AMA?!

That's like SEEING the firing squad before you get there, having the chance to get a full pardon, and just walking up anyway

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
That is the sum total of it. But again, security is a helluva drug, fleeting around this industry in general. Can we really blame an indie dev for choosing security with conditions for the next X years? Knowing what the casualty rate of indie developers is? Your families can't eat honor and integrity, and while I'm sure they would have preferred keeping it (this may have ramifications for future crowd-funding attempts), this time the bag was really just that big.
Integrity and honour aren't fungible, but there is a reason companies factor in goodwill in their financial statements. Building a loyal customer base provides security.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder what's the endgame for Epic here? they can't moneyhat every game forever. Seems shortsighted business-wise. They have to attract people with new games from the studio itself (like Fortnite) or fund a project from another developers. I can't see them doing this for more than a year or two imo.

I assume they want to use moneyhats to build up a userbase, and then get a reputation as the store on PC with all the great exclusives and none of the stream of shit you find on other stores, then eventually end up with enough pull and prestige that developers are happy to go to them without a moneyhat being required

That's not to say I think that will work, but I can't think of any other way they expect this to play out

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they want to use moneyhats to build up a userbase, and then get a reputation as the store on PC with all the great exclusives and none of the stream of shit you find on other stores, then eventually end up with enough pull and prestige that developers are happy to go to them without a moneyhat being required

That's not to say I think that will work, but I can't think of any other way they expect this to play out
The thing is that people stay loyal customers by positive reinforcement. Forcing people to go to your store by exclusivity is using the stick, not the carrot. You also have to give people reasons to stay, which they don't seem to care one bit about doing.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

When the game was crowdfunded, we can blame them.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
iWKad22.jpg

Fuck the Epic game launcher and Epic's bullshit exclusivity push.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017

Without features that matches Steam, I don't think this gonna work out at all. Especially since the store is hated by almost everyone (except developers ofc).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The thing is that people stay loyal customers by positive reinforcement. Forcing people to go to your store by exclusivity is using the stick, not the carrot.

I agree, but not everyone is an enthusiast, and if we flash forward to 2 years time and Epic have improved some features and half the best PC games of the year are only available on Epic, then there is a chance a lot of people will just buy them on the Epic store

Again, that's not to say that will 100% happen, it probably won't, but I would imagine that's what Epic will be hoping for

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that Tim Sweeney is a bit of a hypocrite..

"Well, I should be very clear," Sweeney said. "The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open, so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company, Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers."

Tim is just being misquoted I'm sure

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Stolen from reddit
h85ndar19vl21.png

On the one hand, this is refreshingly honest

On the other hand "We knew our supporters would hate it, but we did it anyways because $$$" is a very encapsulating statement of why I shouldn't give a shit about indiedevs well being.

People portray developers as starving in the streets. They care more for the developers than the developers care for them.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that Tim Sweeney is a bit of a hypocrite..

"Well, I should be very clear," Sweeney said. "The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open, so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company, Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers."

Tim is just being misquoted I'm sure
That is exactly what EGS is doing. Complete hypocrite that Sweeney is.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I guess it's impossible to stand up for your beliefs on your own and not think kindly of everyone who doesn't follow the same path.
Paths? Why would you think kindly of others who support anti-consumerism? We are all consumers, why side with anti-consumer corporations?

Epic has clearly state that pushing for developers ahead of consumers is their way to reach the top.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot by one of the devs, about the conversation they had about providing Steam/GOG keys after the exclusivity has ended.
They hadn't even checked this before the announcement, and went ahead believing that they would not provide keys for Steam/GOG at all.

"We can probably do that" is a quote I will associate this game with from now on.

YpqeyXB.png

They better hope Epic cuts a new shitty deal then, otherwise theyll be the punching bags for a while.

Yeah they will struggle to get through another crowdfunding campaign at least, for future projects. That's a door they have closed with this.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Screenshot by one of the devs, about the conversation they had about providing Steam/GOG keys after the exclusivity has ended.
They hadn't even checked this before the announcement, and went ahead believing that they would not provide keys for Steam/GOG at all.

"We can probably do that" is a quote I will associate this game with from now on.

YpqeyXB.png

Yeah they will struggle to get through another crowdfunding campaign at least, for future projects. That's a door they have closed with this.

I think it's really obvious how some devs are just jumping at epics money without thinking 5 minutes ahead.

These are the kinda questions you clear up BEFORE you sign an agreement, not after, ideally with the help of a lawyer.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Stolen from reddit
h85ndar19vl21.png

On the other hand "We knew our supporters would hate it, but we did it anyways because $$$" is a very encapsulating statement of why I shouldn't give a shit about indiedevs well being.
Epic here making games profitable without selling any copies, guess no one should feel bad about requesting refunds then

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Epic here making games profitable without selling any copies, guess no one should feel bad about requesting refunds then

And yet there are people claiming that Epic Store is actually a solution to Steams problems.
It isn't. It's a bandage for a selected few, nothing else.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Like did they thoroughly read the deal. That's very concerning if they didn't even know what they can or can't do.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The Phoenix Point devs made sure this went as smoothly as possible, huh?

I'm going to guess they didn't even bother fighting for their supporters at all. Getting Steam keys on launch for the 10k who backed you should have been a priority after securing the bag.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bold strategy indeed. Telling your core audience and supporters that they can go jump off a cliff because yay $$$. But then again integrity has always been for sale. It is refreshing to see indies being so upfront about how little they actually care about their audience once somone dangles a big ol' bag of money in front of them.
It's fair to say that, at this point, the only difference between your average starving indie dev and multinational publishers are a couple of billions in the bank account. Not that I blame them, I like money too and would love to get more, but they can miss me with their sob stories.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Like did they thoroughly read the deal. That's very concerning if they didn't even know what they can or can't do.
We all know how it went.

Epic: We will give you a big beautiful fat check so you release your game on our store exclusively for one year.
Snapshot Games: How much?
Epic: *insert amount of money here*.
Snapshot Games: DEAL!
Epic: Oh, and also...
Snapshot Games: Shut up and give us our money.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's fair to say that, at this point, the only difference between your average starving indie dev and multinational publishers are a couple of billions in the bank account. Not that I blame them, I like money too and would love to get more, but they can miss me with their sob stories.
It's pretty ironic that we are expected to support a shitty service because of the poor widdle devs while those same devs tell us to eat shit.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

And there is also the fact that the game wouldn't exist to get moneyhatted if snapshot didn't basically get interest free loans from their fans. And that they basically see their fanbase in that way.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Stolen from reddit
h85ndar19vl21.png

Hey fuck the people who made this game happen, it's happened. We don't need them any more.