• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
It's sad devs are willing to take a short term money hat to see their game bomb.

Rise of the tomb raider bombed because it launched in Xbox only. I can see the new metro doing terrible pc numbers too.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it just occurred to me.. will this be the first EGS sales data we see all because of Fig?

No, at most we might find out how much Epic paid them. But given it's going to be on Game Pass, and thus got a payment from MS as well, the water is already muddied.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sales information wont be made to the investors? Thats kind of wild.

No, when they pay out initially, it's usually when it's first viable. We found out PoE 2's sales figures for instance, by the payout investors received, and using math to extrapolate from that, we didn't get the actual sales figures.

So we will at best, see a figure that is going to be watered down by the Epic and Microsoft payments, and thus any meaningful information would be hard to glean at best.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today he didn't just took the money, he sold out his name. From today name Julian Gollop means a lot less to core audience. Unless they got Epic to fund their future games they will need luck to find resources, because they are not getting them from fans again.

If it means having a profitable game that is money for the future though. Metro imo maybe made less sense as they had the console sales too. In any case I don't think there's devs taking the money hat without running the numbers. 4A probably ran the numbers and were like yeah our launch 1st year sales on the last 2 games weren't even that much, so probably an easy decision.

Deleted member 26900

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't even fund this game and and I feel like I want a refund.

Feel bad for those that did. Complete total shill move.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
From here on out, whenever epic buys an exclusive game, I will post this :
""Well, I should be very clear," Sweeney said. "The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open, so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company, Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers. "

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I do not mind opening a different program on my PC, I'll take the free dlc. I'm from a console background, none of this phases me.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think gamers understand how hard it is to make money with indie games. Gamers mostly just buy the hits, so unless you get lucky and make one of those unicorn games, you're probably just throwing years of hard work and personal investment down the drain.

Epic is offering a safety net that gamers do not.
But the corwd funding was the safety net.

Nov 8, 2017
This safety net is better

At the expense of destroying your old one and never being able to use it again

This is the third tier of safety nets lol. Crowd funded / Fig investments, then the Xbox Game Pass deal, then this. This game hedged its bets on it's hedged bets on it's hedged bets. I'm dying to know whether or not they owe Fig investors a proportion of revenue from copies sold only, or also from these other deals.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is the third tier of safety nets lol. Crowd funded / Fig investments, then the Xbox Game Pass deal, then this. This game hedged its bets on it's hedged bets on it's hedged bets. I'm dying to know whether or not they owe Fig investors a proportion of revenue from copies sold only, or also from these other deals.

Fig have confirmed that money from this deal counts as revenue and backers will benefit from it. Check post on previous page.

Edit:

Dear Investor,

We are exited to share that Snapshot has announced today that they have signed a deal with Epic games for one year of exclusive distribution of Phoenix Point on their game store. As a reminder to shareholders, upfront payments paid by distributors to Snapshot are counted as revenue, and contribute to returns for Fig investors. We will be releasing additional information on how investors of Fig Game Shares - Phoenix Point will be affected by this deal in the near future, so stay tuned for updates.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].

Best,

Fig Team

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
These devs need to disclose how much they're being money hatted. I'd love to know how much they're willing to sell out for.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
These devs need to disclose how much they're being money hatted. I'd love to know how much they're willing to sell out for.

This'll never happen, but their legitimately needs to be an open discussion in this industry related to cost of games, projected sales and the saturated market. If Phoenix Point was moneyhatted for say, $200k, then that's something that could start debate on how much games cost to produce vs how much consumers expect to pay for them.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Care to elaborate on that?

I had forgotten about it's original release and just picked it up last week. It's a really fantastic game. I went to check out the community and such and found that it was near nonexistent. Like less than 2k subscribers in the subreddit. I can't help but think that releasing it into the Steam ecosystem would have been a better move.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had forgotten about it's original release and just picked it up last week. It's a really fantastic game. I went to check out the community and such and found that it was near nonexistent. Like less than 2k subscribers in the subreddit. I can't help but think that releasing it into the Steam ecosystem would have been a better move.

Yeah, I was looking at numbers like Twitch viewers and Reddit subs and they were pretty rough. The thing with Early Access is that you try to get as many voices and as much external feedback as possible before 1.0 and this game probably doesn't get as much as it could, though I trust Supergiant to know how to design a game. It would be absolutely terrible for other genres or developers.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
If it means having a profitable game that is money for the future though. Metro imo maybe made less sense as they had the console sales too. In any case I don't think there's devs taking the money hat without running the numbers. 4A probably ran the numbers and were like yeah our launch 1st year sales on the last 2 games weren't even that much, so probably an easy decision.

Taking money is always an easy decision. If it comes down to "give customers what they want" or "give ourselves what we want," the latter wins every time. Nobody is questioning the financial motivations here. We're just disappointed that developers are so quick to throw their customers to the gutter.

I'm pretty sure they're contractually prohibited from disclosing those numbers. I'm surprised they're even allowed to mention the bribes at all (though it's possible that the devs who have done so did it in violation of their contract).

Oh well, guess I'll just play this next year.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taking money is always an easy decision. If it comes down to "give customers what they want" or "give ourselves what we want," the latter wins every time. Nobody is questioning the financial motivations here. We're just disappointed that developers are so quick to throw their customers to the gutter.

I'm pretty sure they're contractually prohibited from disclosing those numbers. I'm surprised they're even allowed to mention the bribes at all (though it's possible that the devs who have done so did it in violation of their contract).

Honoring preorders on other stores and still allowing everyone else to buy it at another store is throwing your customers to the curb?

Retailers buy exclusive lines all the time. Is a fashion house setting up an exclusive retailer for something throwing their customer to the curb?

No. It's hey loyal customer, here is where you can buy this. It's not some insane concept.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I could see future crowdfunded games having to add in binding language regarding which stores their products will appear on in the future as a result of this.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Honoring preorders on other stores and still allowing everyone else to buy it at another store is throwing your customers to the curb?

Retailers buy exclusive lines all the time. Is a fashion house setting up an exclusive retailer for something throwing their customer to the curb?

No. It's hey loyal customer, here is where you can buy this. It's not some insane concept.

What are you talking about? Phoenix Point isn't available on other stores. The dev said that they'll give backers a Steam/GOG key after the 1-year EGS exclusivity contract ends. If I had backed the game with the expectation of receiving a Steam or GOG key at launch (as was originally promised), I'd be pretty pissed off right now.

I swear, EGS defenders don't even bother reading or doing any research before spouting their nonsense.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? Phoenix Point isn't available on other stores. The dev said that they'll give backers a Steam/GOG key after the 1-year EGS exclusivity contract ends. If I had backed the game with the expectation of receiving a Steam or GOG key at launch (as was originally promised), I'd be pretty pissed off right now.

I swear, EGS defenders don't even bother reading or doing any research before spouting their nonsense.

My bad, I guess I misread the first page of the thread. Thought they were providing steam and gog keys to backers for launch. If they really don't do that that's pretty crappy.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
My bad, I guess I misread the first page of the thread. Thought they were providing steam and gog keys to backers for launch. If they really don't do that that's pretty crappy.

From what I understand the difference between this game and Metro is that Metro had pre orders on Steam, which allowed Deep Silver to generate steam keys for pre orders. Since Phoenix Point never had an official steam pre order the dev Snapshot Games can't get keys for backers. The compromise made after the backlash is now the dev is promising steam and gog keys one year after release for backers.

Are you talking about Hades? Yeah the thread for the game on this forum is tumbleweeds and so is the subreddit page.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Burning through your goodwill and destroying your community relations forever in 8 hours is pretty impressive. So like congrats on that I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Also the fan base for this game seems like it's the super plugged in hardcore type who would be extra pissed off with this kind of fucking about.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeney:
1504517172106.gif

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/12/phoenix-point-becomes-epic-store-exclusive-for-a-year/

Phoenix Point – the upcoming humans vs. aliens tactics game from Snapshot Games and original X-Com brain Julian Gollop – will be making its debut exclusive to Epic's rapidly growing store. This is one of the few deals which seem to have worked out well for potential players, too. Epic's backing has allowed Snapshot to confirm a full year of paid DLC, all of which will be free for those who backed the game's Kickstarter or otherwise pre-ordered it up until now. The game may be available elsewhere after that first year, but for now the planned Steam and GOG launches are off the cards. Below, an explanation video from Gollop himself.

Whatever your feelings may be on how Epic are handling their competition with Valve, it's hard to deny that whatever they're selling, developers seem to want it. The deal Epic cut with Snapshot Games has earned the studio the kind of stability that allows them to promise a full year of DLC without requiring a publisher. On a purely personal level, this is working out in my favour, too – I'd put some money down on a discounted pre-order some time ago. Finding that my £19 gets me a year of expansions too is just icing on the cake, and I honestly don't mind switching stores.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I was hoping for steam workshop support and looking forward to using the steam controller.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

That's... Shallow, I think is the most accurate word to use here. Again, no analysis, no look at the deeper consequences, just... Nothing.

Whatever your feelings may be on how Epic are handling their competition with Valve, it's hard to deny that whatever they're selling, developers seem to want it.

You mean cash. They're wanting the cash that Epic are "selling".

And no mention of backers having to wait a year for a Steam key? Doesn't that kinda contradict

This is one of the few deals which seem to have worked out well for potential players, too.

But whatevs. Definitely don't feel bad about blocking ads on RPS now.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Except that they're just helping those developers that would have hits, that are known entities. They're not helping those that are truly unknown, that would benefit best from this.
I absolutely understand that real people with kids and partners and medical bills make games, but...

That's business in the games industry. I think Epic buying exclusivity for certain titles just delays the inevitability of the industry coming to terms with the fact that the current "mass production" cycle and production costs aren't sustainable. I can see why pubs/devs are taking the Epic money - as you say, guaranteed safety net of cash - but it's just kicking the can down the road. I'm 40 years old and I reasonably have enough games to play and replay until I die. Epic buying exclusivity doesn't solve the wider issues of the industry, it just creates a "fuck you got mine" attitude within it, for those lucky enough to be swept-up. And why are they swept-up? Because they already have good hype and word-of-mouth behind them, for the most part. Which means these "guaranteed safety nets" are - for the most part - only going to the devs/pubs who were more likely to earn money, not the ones who would be genuinely struggling.
You both are right that Epic is not acting like a charity that helps starving artist devs -- and I don't blame them; they can't hold the industry up themselves, Epic would just be tying themselves to games that gamers don't buy. But I don't think it's safe to assume this game would have been profitable without the help. Wouldn't be surprised if they already ran out of the fig money -- they started development over 2 years ago and $700k doesn't go far when you have a team to feed (it's not even enough to pay competitive salaries for a team of 5 over 3 years and I assume their team is larger and obviously has costs beyond salaries). Decent chance they've been taking contract work to keep the studio open -- which is also dangerous because it delays their own projects.

I also agree that the gaming industry is unsustainable -- gamers only buy the hits so the industry is naturally consolidating. It's partly why I got out.

But the corwd funding was the safety net.

Someone came up to them and offered them more money -- money they can use to make sure they keep the lights on, money they can use to further invest in the game. Less than two weeks ago, while they were probably wrapping up the deal, they announced a delay -- they said the extra time will be used to polish and test more. They probably had to cut corners on that stuff before securing the extra cash that gave them a longer runway, and that stuff might seem superfluous, but polish can often make or break a game (especially one built around systems that need to be fine tuned to perfection, like this one). Then when they announced the Epic deal, they also talked about how it funds DLC development for a year meaning they get to put in more ideas they didn't think they'd be able to add to the game.

Every dev has a vision for their game that goes beyond what they're able to achieve before they have to release something so they don't go homeless. Miyamoto famously said "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." -- that's not a luxury indie devs, even ones with mid-sized budgets, can usually afford. This deal lets them get a bit closer to their full vision for their game. And not having to stress over where you'll get grocery money in a few months is always good for mental health.

And what do customers lose..? They have to use a different launcher to download/update the game. Millions of people used Epic's launcher just to play Fortnite. Millions of people used Origin just to play Apex Legends. A relatively small group of people will have strong preferences for Linux and/or certain storefronts and they've been offered refunds if they don't want to wait, but many of these responses are just overblown to a ridiculous degree.

If these sorts of deals actually do materialize into long term damage to any dev that takes these offers, it won't be because of reasoned backlash -- it'll be because a group of gamers worked themselves up into a frenzy over something stupid and continue to push the industry toward consolidation.

edit:

But whatevs. Definitely don't feel bad about blocking ads on RPS now.
*Complains about journalism, doesn't support journalism*

Last edited:

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Fuck Epic for continuing to do everything in its power to make the PC games marketplace follow the trajectory of streaming video and turn into an anticompetitive shitshow like cable. Fuck these greedy morons for helping.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was looking at numbers like Twitch viewers and Reddit subs and they were pretty rough. The thing with Early Access is that you try to get as many voices and as much external feedback as possible before 1.0 and this game probably doesn't get as much as it could, though I trust Supergiant to know how to design a game. It would be absolutely terrible for other genres or developers.
Yeah honestly they are fantastic developers and the game is already amazing. I doubt they needed any input, but I'm sure it's nice to have some extra cash while they're finishing up the game.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
And what do customers lose..? They have to use a different launcher to download/update the game.

Except this isn't true. None of us have an issue with using a different launcher. What we have an issue with is when a company acts against competition, by not competing on features or selection, but rather by using cash to force people to use their store. Epic buying exclusivity for a game means that game won't be available to purchase anywhere outside of the Epic store. For 1 year. This is without precedent on a large scale within the PC ecosystem - a reduction of basic consumer choice that allows people to pick-and-choose what stores they want to support. Want to buy Phoenix Point on Humble to support charity? Oh, sorry, you can't. Want to buy it at Wingamestore because they're a smaller store who need the cash from loyal customers? Oh, sorry, you can't. Want to avoid giving your cash to a hypocrite? Oh, sorry, you can't.

""Well, I should be very clear," Sweeney said. "The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open, so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company, Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers. "

( https://www.pcgamer.com/tim-sweeney-microsoft-uwp-is-still-woefully-inadequate/ )

Yes, exclusive games existed prior to Epic buying games out, but they were almost entirely 1st party exclusives, not 3rd party.

*Complains about journalism, doesn't support journalism*

This is silly. It's like saying me cancelling my NYT subscription in 2016 meant journalistic standards fell. I'll support good journalism, but I won't support any old shit just because it's a "news website".

Last edited: