• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Javetus

Feb 23, 2019

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is dumb. Guess I'll wait out the year, was looking forward to this.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They will never get another game crowdfunded again. This is going to harm all crowdfunded games going forward.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone noticed they're using some site called "transferwise" who you have to send your bank details to to get your money back, with NO alternatives:

Once your refund has been submitted it can take up to 28 business days to process. You will then receive an email from https://transferwise.com/ detailing the amount of the refund. You will be given a link within this email to submit the details for the account where you want the refund deposited. This is an automated process and no alternatives are available.
If you encounter any issues submitting your refund via this form, you can contact us at [email protected] for assistance. This email address will not accept requests to manually process refunds.

Sounds like they're intentionally trying to make it an unpalatable process to go through to mitigate the number of people seeking a refund.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though it checks all the boxes

Unreal Engine 4 game (that 5% cut goes poof)
Deep Silver published game (good relationship with Epic)
Anticipated AA level game from a dev with a good pedigree
IT'S A SETUP

Yeah, when you list it like that it's as good as set in stone. Hopefully it's just a simultaneous release though.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone noticed they're using some site called "transferwise" who you have to send your bank details to to get your money back, with NO alternatives:

Once your refund has been submitted it can take up to 28 business days to process. You will then receive an email from https://transferwise.com/ detailing the amount of the refund. You will be given a link within this email to submit the details for the account where you want the refund deposited. This is an automated process and no alternatives are available.
If you encounter any issues submitting your refund via this form, you can contact us at [email protected] for assistance. This email address will not accept requests to manually process refunds.

Sounds like they're intentionally trying to make it an unpalatable process to go through to mitigate the number of people seeking a refund.

WTF

I feel sorry for backers.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Messing with Shenmue fans is a bold ass move.
Yeah, was thinking the same....

Considering how dedicated the fanbase is, what with having to wait nearly 20 years for it, I can't imagine that'd go down well at all.

Yikes... I was considering getting a refund but that puts me off. Mission accomplished I guess....

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
PC Gamers are Randy Orton
Epic Games is Edge
I am Wayne Brady

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously though it checks all the boxes

Unreal Engine 4 game (that 5% cut goes poof)
Deep Silver published game (good relationship with Epic)
Anticipated AA level game from a dev with a good pedigree
IT'S A SETUP
Main barrier I can think of is that I can't imagine KS refunds for $6,333,295 being on the table.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I am curious if Epic offered to help future games with financial backing. There is literally no reason to do this for short term gain.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It takes over a month to process? Are they sending the money by carrier pigeon or something?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
That's definitely unfortunate. I'd like to say this is an example of the Epic moneyhat being used on a game that actually isn't already from an established group, but then it did have a successful Kickstarter. I'm certainly hoping that they'll be looking as much or more into stuff that doesn't already have an audience aware of it.

This is the team in question's first game, isn't it? In that case they may not have the whole Steam developer account thing yet. No account, no way to get Steam keys.
here's their first game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/Chaos_Reborn/

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing they pay fewer fees in transferring the funds to your account (no matter where in the world you may be) through TransferWise. I have a "borderless" account through them that gives me a debit card I can load with multiple currencies. I can at least vouch for them being legitimate. Can't say it's something I've ever seen done like this, though.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Guess, if I do end up buying it, it'll be gog and a long way off from now. Best of luck on this one Julian
Thankfully I never backed this, because that's scummy

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
I just got this email and came to ERA to witness the carnage. I'm fine with the Epic Games store and the fact this is netting me a year worth of DLC for free is great. Also glad that they were able to make a deal that's going to keep them working on it for the foreseeable future. Shrug.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
What a scummy move. Oh well, another game and developer to add on my blacklist. This is not how I see healthy competition for pc gaming and I won't support this in any way.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't see how indie devs are thinking this is a positive move. Epic must be giving out some serious dish because you are going to burn good will by the sheer fact of switching ships midway especially so when your dev builds have been coming through Steam since now. What will happen with it being in Epic's store? They don't have dev branches, so what do backers who wanted that tier get?

I'm really perplexed as to why someone would do this. Why limit your sales. Why even hamper yourself as an indie dev who already has to struggle. Release on all platforms like you were going to, taking advantage of Epic's dev cut stream to maximise profits but also gain where you wouldn't before.

Why are devs being so stupid...

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At the end of day even with all this negativity about the Epic store, it's not stopped developers signing up. There has got to be more to it than money.
From the pure business perspective: guaranteed money in the bank is of greater value than a higher quantity of theoretical future money.

The problem is that I haven't seen a backlash this bad against a new PC game digital distributor since... we're probably talking Steam itself at this rate. Maybe Origin? The point is, I am pretty sure that the backlash is going to be affecting EGS sales. It's not quite "Xbox One announces DRM" bad, but it's getting there.

We also have the problem of late ports (or, in this case, late-to-other-stores) not selling as well as day-and-date ports (presumably because of less marketing around the game at the time of the late port).

And there's a potential problem of longer-term reputational damage as a result of this deal (see how the Tomb Raider reboot series never really recovered from Rise of the Tomb Raider's initial poor sales as an Xbox One exclusive).

Side note: I would find it hard to believe that Ubisoft would be willing to sign up three of their flagship games to EGS without the ability for Ubi to bail out early if targets aren't met.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is it possible to allow a crowdfunding project to be taken over by someone like Epic. Makes no sense at all to me.,why crowdfund in the first place.