• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Is there any way to enable/disable windows HDR for specific programs? Took me an hour but figured out Dead Space wouldn't launch with Windows HDR enabled. But I'd like to not have to worry about toggling it on and off every time I switch games

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Is there a way to emulate a dummy display on a Win 10 system for remote desktop and VR purposes without having to buy a physical dongle like this?

61-HuwSaFAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
So for the past year I have this problem where my wifi is normal and fine but then randomly it shits the bed on random devices in the house and i have to unplug and plug my modem and router back in. Sometimes the PS4 will not connect and laptops fine. Sometimes laptops and phone won't connect by PS4 and TV are ok. My desktop is always fine and i also have upgraded my router and modem and got the fastest connection from Spectrum possible. Is this a common problem for people? Its driving me banana splits

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wanted to start Hades on PC today and ran into an issue that isn't too bad but still annoying. So my main PC monitor only supports 1080p and is set as primary monitor. Whenever I want to play on my 4k TV though I plug a HDMI cable from my PC to the TV. Unfortunately when I open Hades it opens it automatically on my 1080p monitor and even when I move it to my TV the max resolution stays at 1080p. The only way to make the 4k option appear is to make my TV primary monitor so that the game automatically opens on my TV. While I can do this I am still wondering whether there is a way to handle this without having to switch primary monitors all the time... why does the game not recognize that it is now displayed on a display that supports higher resolutions than 1080p?

ebugg

Nov 3, 2018
Wanted to start Hades on PC today and ran into an issue that isn't too bad but still annoying. So my main PC monitor only supports 1080p and is set as primary monitor. Whenever I want to play on my 4k TV though I plug a HDMI cable from my PC to the TV. Unfortunately when I open Hades it opens it automatically on my 1080p monitor and even when I move it to my TV the max resolution stays at 1080p. The only way to make the 4k option appear is to make my TV primary monitor so that the game automatically opens on my TV. While I can do this I am still wondering whether there is a way to handle this without having to switch primary monitors all the time... why does the game not recognize that it is now displayed on a display that supports higher resolutions than 1080p?

try this - https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/
basically save one profile when youre using your 1080p monitor as primary, then save a different one when its your TV as primary. it just sits in the taskbar, but i believe you have to manually add it to startup.
i have a similar issue when i'm trying to toggle between one of my 3 monitors. windows + P is buggy when it comes to more than 2 monitors

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
When streaming to my Nvidia Shield and encountering a Windows 10 UAC prompt, how do I get the mouse cursor to not disappear?

I say "disappear" because the mouse cursor actually just becomes invisible. I can still move a cursor around with my mouse and click through the prompt blindly to proceed if I know where the cursor is (I always thought that the UAC prompt was actually blocking inputs to non elevated apps?)

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
try this - https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/
basically save one profile when youre using your 1080p monitor as primary, then save a different one when its your TV as primary. it just sits in the taskbar, but i believe you have to manually add it to startup.
i have a similar issue when i'm trying to toggle between one of my 3 monitors. windows + P is buggy when it comes to more than 2 monitors

Will try this, thanks!

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I'm having this weird issue while using my Xbox One bluetooth with my PC.

Games randomly stop detecting the controller input. I have to press the Windows key so the game moves to background, enter the game again, and voilá everything working.

It won't start working again until i do this.

Any idea?

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There are several monitors out there that offer "overclocking" to a higher refresh rate. Is there any issue with using these modes? I assume not since they're typically advertised as an additional feature of the display but there must also be a reason why they don't run at that refresh rate out of the box.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
There are several monitors out there that offer "overclocking" to a higher refresh rate. Is there any issue with using these modes? I assume not since they're typically advertised as an additional feature of the display but there must also be a reason why they don't run at that refresh rate out of the box.

Well it all depends on the hardware, higher refresh-rate might cause the color quality to degrade or in the case of response-time overclocking it might cause overshoot artifacts but generally these are two things you wouldn't notice in games unless you look for them. You will however notice these in regular desktop usage.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is no issue for many that have it. I have a 100hz monitor with an oc option up to 120 and I have been using it at that refresh rate for years now with no issues (well I did have one issue when I first got it where the signal would drop randomly, but I think that was more on nvidia's side since it was acknowledged by them and fixed in a driver update)

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Thinking of upgrading my PC, a couple of questions:

1) With DirectStorage coming, what are requirements for it? What should I have in my PC to be able to utilize it in the future?

2) What's the easiest way of identifying what causes bottleneck in my build? I have I5 3570k and GTX2060, so CPU is obvious suspect, but can I confirm it? I'm having FPS all over the place in Horizon.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
1) With DirectStorage coming, what are requirements for it? What should I have in my PC to be able to utilize it in the future?
Win10 20H1, an SSD - preferably an NVMe one (PCIE 3.0+) as it will target some NVMe features but will supposedly work with SATA SSDs too.

2) What's the easiest way of identifying what causes bottleneck in my build? I have I5 3570k and GTX2060, so CPU is obvious suspect, but can I confirm it? I'm having FPS all over the place in Horizon.
Check MSI Afterburner monitoring. The part which hits 100% load will be the main limiting bottleneck.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have a really odd issue.

I have an Asus X570-E motherboard that has a wifi/bluetooth dongle like so:

Cg8QTExKBThvnLuzFfQ5HK-1200-80.jpg

I'm getting some bizarre issues with it. It happened me with Warzone and Resident Evil 3.

When connecting my Xbox One Bluetooth controller to it, it works perfectly. However if for example I hold my controller under my desk, the inputs start going crazy (I'm guessing the bluetooth starts acting up) and my FPS TANKS on whatever game I am playing. Warzone dropped to 4fps and Resident Evil 3 stutters at around 10fps.

Any idea what's causing this? I mean, at most I'd expect the controller to just start acting funky. I don't really understand why my FPS needs to dip massively. Unless the dongle starts sending massive spikes of inputs?

EDIT: Seeing a couple of similar issues across places like reddit. This one is a good example: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/57c9a3/xbox_one_s_controller_frame_rate_issue/

I had the same issue. When you hold the controller next to the Bluetooth reciever the FPS come back. I could never figure out why it affects frame rate. I returned it for the elite controller. I also have the issue where Windows 10 sometimes won't see the USB adapter either and I have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Last edited:

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

I'm getting some bizarre issues with it. It happened me with Warzone and Resident Evil 3.

When connecting my Xbox One Bluetooth controller to it, it works perfectly. However if for example I hold my controller under my desk, the inputs start going crazy (I'm guessing the bluetooth starts acting up) and my FPS TANKS on whatever game I am playing. Warzone dropped to 4fps and Resident Evil 3 stutters at around 10fps.

Any idea what's causing this? I mean, at most I'd expect the controller to just start acting funky. I don't really understand why my FPS needs to dip massively. Unless the dongle starts sending massive spikes of inputs?

EDIT: Seeing a couple of similar issues across places like reddit. This one is a good example: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/57c9a3/xbox_one_s_controller_frame_rate_issue/

I had that issue with my laptop. I think I solved it by updating the bluetooth controller drivers (mine is from intel).

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this undervolting business is no fun. Everytime I find "stable" settings I try a new game and it starts crashing. What's the best game to test voltage stability?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man, this undervolting business is no fun. Everytime I find "stable" settings I try a new game and it starts crashing. What's the best game to test voltage stability?

Undervolting GPU? I usually just run Unigine Heaven at max settings or Time Spy for about 10 minutes and watch for any kind of graphical issues.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017

Asus seems to have horrible Bluetooth. I suffered through tons of FPS issues thinking my build was bad or my GPU was faulty. No amount of updating fixed the issue.

I solved this by getting the official Xbox dongle. haven't had an issue since.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Asus seems to have horrible Bluetooth. I suffered through tons of FPS issues thinking my build was bad or my GPU was faulty. No amount of updating fixed the issue.

I solved this by getting the official Xbox dongle. haven't had an issue since.

Yeah tbh I just bit the bullet and bought the official dongle on Amazon. Waiting for it to arrive.

Never before have I seen Bluetooth cause FPS to absolutely tank when it starts having connectivity issues. Official Dongle should at the very least eliminate my headache from trying to troubleshoot it :)

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah tbh I just bit the bullet and bought the official dongle on Amazon. Waiting for it to arrive.

Never before have I seen Bluetooth cause FPS to absolutely tank when it starts having connectivity issues. Official Dongle should at the very least eliminate my headache from trying to troubleshoot it :)

its truly a terror trying to troubleshoot each game. I wasted at least 50 hours researching destiny settings on how to keep 60fps, lowering ping in Sea of Thieves, finding a vpn so I could play SFV online.

all of this shit being caused by Bluetooth is absolutely insane. I'm guessing there's a constant connect/disconnect/reconnect happening at such a high rate that it's not prompting an error but instead making the game perform terribly.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully understand CPU/motherboard chipsets. The Ryzen 5000 series CPUs work with the X570 and B550 motherboards. Is that the last CPU line those motherboards will work with? Do motherboards only support one chipset?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just had the longest call with Microsoft support.

Basically, Windows Store will only download about 50% of the GamePass games on my PC. Others give me errors right when I try to initiate the download. It seems completely random which games will install and which won't. For instance, Flight Sim, Halo:MC, Halo Wars, Drake Hollow, Disgea 4, Crusader Kings all download. However, all the Age of Empires games, Company of Heroes, Wasteland 3, and many others will give me an error.

So I tried to troubleshoot this myself for the past week. Searched on all the error codes I was getting, and tried like 20 different solutions. Such as "WSReset.exe", many PowerShell commands to clean Windows Store and download caches, making a test user with admin rights and logging in as them and trying to download the problematic games, etc etc.

I finally called MS today, and started with the Xbox division. The guy basically had me do all the steps I had already done, and of course none of them worked. Then I got put to a windows tech rep who took control of my computer and basically did all the things the previous guy did and of course none of them worked. 2 hours later, they elevate my case up to an "expert" windows tech. This guy does the same thing, exact same steps I had already tried, nothing worked.

He then says he wants to "repair" my OS by downloading an ISO and running an OS repair on it. He does this, and my PC reboots and now I have 2 installations of Windows 10 I need to chose between. He sounds really confused about this, and I need to explain to him what happened for like 10 minutes. This is when he started getting angry. He yells at me that it is "impossible" to have two installations of Windows on a single computer. Finally, after I finally am able to get him to understand what he just did, he insists I load the new install of Windows and see if I can download anything. This new install of Windows can install the problematic games.

So then he tells me that the problem is fixed, and if I ever have a problem downloading a game, just reboot my PC into the new install of windows and use that installation to play the game.

I was like, no, I need you to fix the issue on my original OS install. Then he starts telling me this song and dance about how PC games have high system requirements and if I download too many then Windows Store will start not letting me download any more. I told him that I knew that wasn't how anything works and I needed my case elevated to someone who can actually fix the problem on my existing OS. He then starts basically talking over me and yelling at me that I don't understand how highly demanding games are and that they take up too many resources so it makes the Windows Store not able to download more games.

I ended up trying to get him to elevate my case and he just got angrier and angrier with me. I couldn't believe how unprofessional he was being, on top of making up complete nonsense to justify his "solution". He then said my only option was to live with having two windows installs or to wipe my original windows install completely and start from scratch.

The whole ordeal lasted for 5 and a half hours.

Anyhow, what is my best course of action to get this issue elevated beyond this guy? I have a case number, but I'm afraid they are just going to connect me with this guy again.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I've also twice had to reinstall Windows to get their horrible, shitty, awful store working again. Microsoft support is pretty bad.

It's difficult for me to imagine how this is working, unless maybe you have installations on multiple drives. It sounds really bizarre. I would probably backup, wipe, and start fresh.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Hey PC ERA, I've got a problem and I'm not sure if it's the game or if my GPU is just fucked.

I've run into a few older games now that just straight up run at 1-2 FPS in game. The menus also run like a slideshow but the splash screens and cutscenes work fine. Enslaved Odyssey to the West is one but I understand that port isn't the best. The one most recently I've had trouble with is Aliens Colonial Marines. I've not seen anyone claim it's a poor port just that it's a poor game and it honestly baffles me that my computer is having such difficulty running it even at 720p. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

My specs for reference:

I7-8700k
64GB Ram
RTX 2080 (with the latest drivers)

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
So, I just got a new LG CX hooked up to my PC and whenever I load up Yakuza 0 on it at 4k it defaults to a lower resolution then what it says in game unless I alt tab and go back into the game. Thereafter, the resolution seems to resolve itself. I am playing fullscreen with both the desktop and the game set to 3840x2160. Any idea how to resolve this so it doesnt keep switching every time I play?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TV-with PC question here.

My housing situation was moved around recently, and now my main LG oled is in the same room as my PC (win10). I'm currently using it as a third monitor I usually keep off and Steam big picture mode works pretty well when set to launch on the TV, while maintaining my monitor as the 'primary' screen when I'm not gaming. My issue is that half the time my desktop icons are jammed onto the TV desktop at some point during the primary screen switching (which I let steam handle automatically with bpm). It seems like it only happens if I alt-tab out of a game, but I think changing resolutions on some games might trigger it as well.

Any advise on the best solution here? It would be great if steam (or another app) could handle sending bpm/gameplay to the TV screen without changing primary monitors, but I think the only way to do this is on a per-game basis via in-game options. I had also thought of simply mirroring my primary monitor to the TV, but there are resolution and refresh rate differences (4k/60 vs 1440/165) so I don't think that's an option either. The only thing I can think of is to set up rainmeter, and use that for desktop shortcuts since their positions are a bit more permeant than windows icons. I'd prefer something that's just a bit more elegant than what steam is doing.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Time to upgrade my controller. I'm retiring my old wired X360 controller and moving the XB1 controller from the Steam Link in the theater room to the PC, with a wireless adapter that will be here in a couple days (and I'll be getting a XSX controller for the living room once those release).

If I run the wireless adapter through a powered USB hub, it should be fine, right? That's where the wired controller is run right now. I'm fresh out of ports on the back of the system and I'd rather not put the dongle on any of the front ports.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Logitech wireless keyboard/touchpad hooked up to my PC for using the TV, and a wired Philips mouse on the same PC for when I am sitting at my desk.

I've noticed that the wired mouse has a super subtle "lag" to it, which was driving me crazy. It is really subtle, like the mouse is slightly inaccurate and I need to sometimes correct it when clicking on a link or highlighting something.

I got to thinking that maybe the wireless keyboard/touchpad was causing it. I turned off the wireless keyboard, and the problem seems to have gone away.

Is there a way I can monitor USB activity? I would like to know if the wireless keyboard is actually sending data to the PC if it is on and not being interacted with that might be subtly effecting my wired mouse.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I just had the longest call with Microsoft support.

Basically, Windows Store will only download about 50% of the GamePass games on my PC. Others give me errors right when I try to initiate the download. It seems completely random which games will install and which won't. For instance, Flight Sim, Halo:MC, Halo Wars, Drake Hollow, Disgea 4, Crusader Kings all download. However, all the Age of Empires games, Company of Heroes, Wasteland 3, and many others will give me an error.

So I tried to troubleshoot this myself for the past week. Searched on all the error codes I was getting, and tried like 20 different solutions. Such as "WSReset.exe", many PowerShell commands to clean Windows Store and download caches, making a test user with admin rights and logging in as them and trying to download the problematic games, etc etc.

I finally called MS today, and started with the Xbox division. The guy basically had me do all the steps I had already done, and of course none of them worked. Then I got put to a windows tech rep who took control of my computer and basically did all the things the previous guy did and of course none of them worked. 2 hours later, they elevate my case up to an "expert" windows tech. This guy does the same thing, exact same steps I had already tried, nothing worked.

He then says he wants to "repair" my OS by downloading an ISO and running an OS repair on it. He does this, and my PC reboots and now I have 2 installations of Windows 10 I need to chose between. He sounds really confused about this, and I need to explain to him what happened for like 10 minutes. This is when he started getting angry. He yells at me that it is "impossible" to have two installations of Windows on a single computer. Finally, after I finally am able to get him to understand what he just did, he insists I load the new install of Windows and see if I can download anything. This new install of Windows can install the problematic games.

So then he tells me that the problem is fixed, and if I ever have a problem downloading a game, just reboot my PC into the new install of windows and use that installation to play the game.

I was like, no, I need you to fix the issue on my original OS install. Then he starts telling me this song and dance about how PC games have high system requirements and if I download too many then Windows Store will start not letting me download any more. I told him that I knew that wasn't how anything works and I needed my case elevated to someone who can actually fix the problem on my existing OS. He then starts basically talking over me and yelling at me that I don't understand how highly demanding games are and that they take up too many resources so it makes the Windows Store not able to download more games.

I ended up trying to get him to elevate my case and he just got angrier and angrier with me. I couldn't believe how unprofessional he was being, on top of making up complete nonsense to justify his "solution". He then said my only option was to live with having two windows installs or to wipe my original windows install completely and start from scratch.

The whole ordeal lasted for 5 and a half hours.

Anyhow, what is my best course of action to get this issue elevated beyond this guy? I have a case number, but I'm afraid they are just going to connect me with this guy again.

This started happening recently.

In my case, games that are a certain size (like 10GB+) wouldn't download.

I found out that if I tried to download them to my secondary HDD, not C:, they wouldn't download.

As soon as I started downloading to my C:, no issues.

Now I have a 2TB HDD where I cant install nor move inside games from the Windows Store...

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

I've had this issue for years now and never really figured out what causes it and if it's a Microsoft thing (and if so, why they never fixed it). It happens randomly with both a cheap USB bluetooth adapter (which has awful range) and with my motherboard's bluetooth dongle (which has significantly better range) and only seems to occur with xbox one controllers. I think the only fix for those who get it is to use a USB cable or to buy Microsoft's wireless usb adapter.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This started happening recently.

In my case, games that are a certain size (like 10GB+) wouldn't download.

I found out that if I tried to download them to my secondary HDD, not C:, they wouldn't download.

As soon as I started downloading to my C:, no issues.

Now I have a 2TB HDD where I cant install nor move inside games from the Windows Store...

Yeah the size doesn't matter for me at all. Some 200 Meg games won't download on any drive but some 70 gig ones will install on all of them.

It is extremely frustrating.

MS really needs to get their shit in order. Until they do my Gamepass subscription is like 1/4 functional.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Does anyone know if the Xbox gamepass app or the microsoft store can locate installs?

If I reset windows can it find a game on another drive after the fact. I wanna know since the game doesn't support cloud saves.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the Xbox gamepass app or the microsoft store can locate installs?

If I reset windows can it find a game on another drive after the fact. I wanna know since the game doesn't support cloud saves.
When I upgraded to a new CPU/Motherboard last year, I decided to do a reinstall. Games were installed on a different drive. Steam easily picked up existing installs. I think Origin did too. Microsoft store/Xbox App though, no. Don't know if things have changed now though

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've had this issue for years now and never really figured out what causes it and if it's a Microsoft thing (and if so, why they never fixed it). It happens randomly with both a cheap USB bluetooth adapter (which has awful range) and with my motherboard's bluetooth dongle (which has significantly better range) and only seems to occur with xbox one controllers. I think the only fix for those who get it is to use a USB cable or to buy Microsoft's wireless usb adapter.

Yep I bit the bullet and bought the official Wireless USB adapter and haven't had the issue since. Really annoying though!

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
I recently was able to get a decent 27" 1440p Freesync monitor that supports G-Sync, but some games struggle a little at 1440. I'm planning on upgrading soon anyway, but in the meantime, is it recommended to run demanding games at 1080p but use my NVIDIA control panel to upscale/downsample (I always get these mixed up) them a bit so the picture doesn't look too blurry full screen? I apologize ahead of time for the dumb question, this is the first time I've ever gone above 1080p...I'm really behind the times, G-Sync/Freesync is so awesome!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely not. The system Microsoft uses for app/game installs is so convoluted and broken that a lot of Windows systems can't even install the games. The files are locked into some crazy secure directory which I think is tied directly to the hardware they are installed on, meaning they get unique directory names and permissions that only exist on that particular hardware configuration and OS install.

There is no way for another installation of Windows to recognize them.

The system is so bad that Microsoft themselves can't even fix the many problems that happen because of it.

I almost think whoever designed the system quit the company years ago and no one who is left there has any clue how it works. I'm pretty sure during the three separate tech support calls even the third and fourth tier tech support engineers were just googling for how to fix it.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
This might be a really stupid question, but how do I know what direction a fan will blow before I screw it in and turn it on?
There should be an arrow symbolizing airflow somewhere on the frame of each fan.
Found it, thanks. It was pretty small. There's one arrow pointing perpendicular as well. I assume that's the direction the fan spins.
For future reference, it's almost always going to be blowing in the direction of the "spokes" connecting the motor to the frame.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Definitely not. The system Microsoft uses for app/game installs is so convoluted and broken that a lot of Windows systems can't even install the games. The files are locked into some crazy secure directory which I think is tied directly to the hardware they are installed on, meaning they get unique directory names and permissions that only exist on that particular hardware configuration and OS install.

There is no way for another installation of Windows to recognize them.

The system is so bad that Microsoft themselves can't even fix the many problems that happen because of it.

I almost think whoever designed the system quit the company years ago and no one who is left there has any clue how it works. I'm pretty sure during the three separate tech support calls even the third and fourth tier tech support engineers were just googling for how to fix it.
Bruh...

I should've just bought dishonored when it was on sale.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping someone here can help me out. I'm trying to delete the WindowsApps folder (not on my C: drive but another one) and I'm unable to. I've already done all the permission stuff, but now when I try to delete it it says another folder or file is in use and blocks the deletion. I've checked via a third party app and Resource Monitor and nothing else is running on that particular drive at all so, as far as I can tell, nothing should be open that's involved. Anyone else ever have this issue?

EDIT: Figured it out. Had to delete it via CMD prompts. Also the WpSystem folder was basically a second WindowsApps folder and needed to be deleted before I could make a new one.

Last edited:

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Anyone else ever had trouble with DSR on Nvidia causing crashes in games in full screen exclusive?

I didn't used to have problems on that but it seems to be causing games to crash without fail, the only exception being if they're in borderless. I've tried disabling and reenabling it to no avail

Am considering maybe just trying to go the higher custom resolution route instead