• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Is it ok to ask for advice on what to upgrade first? I hope this link works my computer.

I know my storage is small, but I just recently had an HDD die and I plan on getting a new SSD when I feel I need it. Otherwise, my research tells me that a new graphics card would be the best choice, but I thought I'd ask here in case someone was interested in helping.

Edit: I'm going to ask in the PC building thread as it seems more appropriate.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Hey all, I just installed the latest Windows 10 update (KB4524570) on my Asus Zenbook and now I'm having really irritating hdmi output problems where previously I had none. I use my HDMI daily because I use a small TV as a second monitor, and I also have to use the HDMI output for my work in Grad school constantly for conferences and presentations, so this is actually more than a minor inconvenience for me. Has anyone else had HDMI bullshitty stuff in the past few days due to the most recent update? I reinstalled display drivers but it didn't seem to help at all. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a nightmare getting the Switch Pro controller to work, some games it's fine (Outer Worlds), some it refuses to work properly (Forza Horizon 4) even with UWP/GloSC, etc.

If I buy an Xbox controller will it JUST WORK? I'm getting super frustrated with this shit. It should be easy, but it's just a massive headache.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Having a nightmare getting the Switch Pro controller to work, some games it's fine (Outer Worlds), some it refuses to work properly (Forza Horizon 4) even with UWP/GloSC, etc.

If I buy an Xbox controller will it JUST WORK? I'm getting super frustrated with this shit. It should be easy, but it's just a massive headache.
That shit works better than on its own console. You plug it in an USB slot and press a button while playing a game and it switches automatically, button prompts/interface too.

If you want wireless you'll need a dongle tho.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I suddenly have a lot of icons (and folders) on my Windows 10 desktop that have a gray X on the lower left corner. These files aren't being synched to anything..

Anyone encounter this?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Got all my parts sorted for my new build.

My W10 license is linked to my digital account, so before I build my new PC, will resetting windows be enough? Going into settings, reset windows 10 etc?

Then afterwards use this to reactivate windows on my new motherboard? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Going Intel to AMD, so don't want any headaches, but this is the first time I've done such a big change, so not entirely sure what's best to do when it comes to the OS? I'd be using the same SSD with W10 on it.

EDIT: https://old.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/96glyv/upgrading_motherboard_and_cpu_need_to_reinstall/ According to this, you don't need to reinstall Windows? You can just uninstall drivers later? I probably will anyway since it's better to start fresh.

Since I'm reusing the SSD with W10 on it, do I reset windows on my current PC, and then put it into my new build and W10 should work fine?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Got all my parts sorted for my new build.

My W10 license is linked to my digital account, so before I build my new PC, will resetting windows be enough? Going into settings, reset windows 10 etc?

Then afterwards use this to reactivate windows on my new motherboard? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Going Intel to AMD, so don't want any headaches, but this is the first time I've done such a big change, so not entirely sure what's best to do when it comes to the OS? I'd be using the same SSD with W10 on it.

EDIT: https://old.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/96glyv/upgrading_motherboard_and_cpu_need_to_reinstall/ According to this, you don't need to reinstall Windows? You can just uninstall drivers later? I probably will anyway since it's better to start fresh.

Since I'm reusing the SSD with W10 on it, do I reset windows on my current PC, and then put it into my new build and W10 should work fine?

I think resetting windows keeps drivers so I wouldn't think it's worth doing. Either don't do anything, uninstall the drivers, or reinstall windows.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think resetting windows keeps drivers so I wouldn't think it's worth doing. Either don't do anything, uninstall the drivers, or reinstall windows.
I don't have the W10 license on hand, it's just tied to my digital account. Would it be easy to reinstall Windows? I'm leaning toward just uninstalling Intel drivers.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Can you just do this from the link you posted?

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshoot . The troubleshooter will show Windows can't be activated on your device.
  • Select I changed hardware on this device recently, then select Next.
  • Enter your connected Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in. The troubleshooter will only work with the connected Microsoft account.
  • From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the check box next to This is the device I'm using right now.
  • Select Activate.

If you don't mind losing what's on the drive reinstalling Windows should be easiest.

If you want to try uninstalling drivers, just uninstall anything intel in the device manager and after youchange hardware, install chipset drivers and run a benchmark like r15/r20 to see if you're experiencing any abnormal performance issues. If not then you're great, if so then consider a fresh reinstall.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Can you just do this from the link you posted?

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshoot . The troubleshooter will show Windows can't be activated on your device.
  • Select I changed hardware on this device recently, then select Next.
  • Enter your connected Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in. The troubleshooter will only work with the connected Microsoft account.
  • From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the check box next to This is the device I'm using right now.
  • Select Activate.

If you don't mind losing what's on the drive reinstalling Windows should be easiest.

If you want to try uninstalling drivers, just uninstall anything intel in the device manager and after youchange hardware, install chipset drivers and run a benchmark like r15/r20 to see if you're experiencing any abnormal performance issues. If not then you're great, if so then consider a fresh reinstall.
I'll do this. Thanks again

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely as they can use different pinouts on the PSU end.
100% yes. There's no standard for modular cables, so there's no guarantee they'll be wired up the same way, so you could easily fry something.
Thanks for the quick clarification!

Just for clarity's sake, even if I'm upgrading within companies (Corsair PSU to Corsair PSU), still a good idea to change?

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the quick clarification!

Just for clarity's sake, even if I'm upgrading within companies (Corsair PSU to Corsair PSU), still a good idea to change?

Yes. There's a good chance they will be interchangable, especially within the same brand, but if they're not then you're going to cause immediate and irreparable damage to your hardware (and maybe even blow up your PSU). It's just not worth the risk.

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
If I'm not particularly sensitive to input lag and am playing with a controller, is G/Freesync worth it?

I'm attracted to the idea of it making framerate fluctuations less noticeable, thanks to eliminated tearing, but does V-sync achieve the same result, albeit with added input lag?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
If I'm not particularly sensitive to input lag and am playing with a controller, is G/Freesync worth it?

I'm attracted to the idea of it making framerate fluctuations less noticeable, thanks to eliminated tearing, but does V-sync achieve the same result, albeit with added input lag?

vsync is only effective at a refresh rate that divides into the native refresh rate. Like 30/60fps on a 60hz display, 72/144fps on a 144hz display.

A good freesync window is 45-144hz so in a scenario say where you can't get a locked 60fps, but are always above 45fps, freesync will still give you a great experience where vsync would require you to reduce settings to stay above 60.

In a scenario like that, with vsync you also lock yourself out of the benefits of higher than 60hz if you run into scenes where you can reach framerates of 70+, you miss out on that with vsync while freesync would just raise the refresh rate.

It's less an input lag thing and more a fluidity of motion thing.

But thankfully in the current market freesync is very cheap, and probably included in any decent monitor you buy.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say I want to put a 500gb SSD in my M2 slot for games like StarCitizen that need a SSD also for future proofing since new consoles will have a SSD, would a SATA based SSD with 500/500 be okay or should I absolutely get a NVME 1-2gb/sec one? I ask because SATA based drives are almost cheaper by half.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How intelligent is PCI-E backwards compatibility at using extra lower speed lanes? If I have a PCI-E 2.0x16 slot and a PCI-E 3.0 x8 card, any chance the card would work at full speed by using all 16 2.0 lanes? Or would it be stuck using 8 2.0 lanes?

Oct 29, 2017
How intelligent is PCI-E backwards compatibility at using extra lower speed lanes? If I have a PCI-E 2.0x16 slot and a PCI-E 3.0 x8 card, any chance the card would work at full speed by using all 16 2.0 lanes? Or would it be stuck using 8 2.0 lanes?
Does the card have a full length PCI-E connection? I can't imagine it will if it is only half length.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Let's say I want to put a 500gb SSD in my M2 slot for games like StarCitizen that need a SSD also for future proofing since new consoles will have a SSD, would a SATA based SSD with 500/500 be okay or should I absolutely get a NVME 1-2gb/sec one? I ask because SATA based drives are almost cheaper by half.

Unless you're out of sata ports/space, I wouldn't bother with an M.2 500/500 drive. Chances are you only have 1 M.2 slot and if you use it on that, which you can just get in the standard form factor, you will have to replace it later on if you ever decide to get an NVMe drive, or get a new motherboard with space for multiple M.2 drives.

You've got plenty of time before PS5, and with PCI4 NVMe drives now releasing, the PCI3 drives are on sale very often. Black Friday is upon us and there will certainly be a good NVMe drive on sale.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're out of sata ports/space, I wouldn't bother with an M.2 500/500 drive. Chances are you only have 1 M.2 slot and if you use it on that, which you can just get in the standard form factor, you will have to replace it later on if you ever decide to get an NVMe drive, or get a new motherboard with space for multiple M.2 drives.

You've got plenty of time before PS5, and with PCI4 NVMe drives now releasing, the PCI3 drives are on sale very often. Black Friday is upon us and there will certainly be a good NVMe drive on sale.

Hmm you make good points yeah, I guess I'll wait and see if I can snatch something good in Germany during Black Friday.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Other than what Dec said, don't buy a 500 GB drive. That's going to be filled in no time with so many games taking massive amounts of space nowadays. I have two 1 TB SSDs and they are already quite full. I would start with a 1 TB drive.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
So I built my computer a year ago. I got Windows on a 250 gig M2 SSD, and all my programs go to a 500 gig m2 SSD. So the entire time I've had my comp, it has never once been able to install a Windows Update. It just never fucking works. Ever. Lately, windows has refused to even mount an ISO to install programs..which is monstrously terrible for me cause I'm recording an album there are plugins/programs i need that need to be mounted. So I have to do a fucking clean install I'm assuming.

So my question is..do i need to cleanly wipe both my C and D? Or can I get away with just wiping my C drive and will my programs still launch normally off the D? I'm gonna be super annoyed if i need to redownload all my music software/VSTs/Plugins etc etc etc

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
So I built my computer a year ago. I got Windows on a 250 gig M2 SSD, and all my programs go to a 500 gig m2 SSD. So the entire time I've had my comp, it has never once been able to install a Windows Update. It just never fucking works. Ever. Lately, windows has refused to even mount an ISO to install programs..which is monstrously terrible for me cause I'm recording an album there are plugins/programs i need that need to be mounted. So I have to do a fucking clean install I'm assuming.

So my question is..do i need to cleanly wipe both my C and D? Or can I get away with just wiping my C drive and will my programs still launch normally off the D? I'm gonna be super annoyed if i need to redownload all my music software/VSTs/Plugins etc etc etc

Go into Disk Management and see what is on each drive. Like it will list what drive the pagefile is on, the boot files, the OS files etc. As long as that other drive isn't being used as a boot device or something you do not have to wipe it when reinstalling windows to another drive.

Windows is really bad about putting things on the wrong drive if you leave multiple drives installed during Windows installation.

If you go into Disk Management and next to your D drive you see nothing but "Healthy (Primary Partition)" then you are fine to reinstall Windows to C without worrying about D. Though I would remove the D drive while installing Windows.

You are going to lose registry and system files so there is no guarantee that all installed programs will work, but you will at the very least not have any data lost and you can probably repair any installation that breaks.

edit: if it looks like this you should not lose any data on any drive besides C

TTEvslo.png

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Ooh. Good call on taking out my drives, Some of my M2 SSDs are a fucking pain in the ass to get to but it's probably safest bet. I just really hope this new installation of windows doesn't continue having the problem where critical Windows Updates refuse to install. I spent probably 30 to 40 hours constantly trying to find every solution i can to make it work, but nothing.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Ooh. Good call on taking out my drives, Some of my M2 SSDs are a fucking pain in the ass to get to but it's probably safest bet. I just really hope this new installation of windows doesn't continue having the problem where critical Windows Updates refuse to install. I spent probably 30 to 40 hours constantly trying to find every solution i can to make it work, but nothing.

Consider backing up your Documents folder as well!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Other than what Dec said, don't buy a 500 GB drive. That's going to be filled in no time with so many games taking massive amounts of space nowadays. I have two 1 TB SSDs and they are already quite full. I would start with a 1 TB drive.

Hmm would 500gb still not be enough if I strictly limit the games on it that need a SSD? Currently the only game that comes to mind is Star Citizen but then again that alone would eat up 1/10th of the space... maybe I should still wait a year or two with that.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm would 500gb still not be enough if I strictly limit the games on it that need a SSD? Currently the only game that comes to mind is Star Citizen but then again that alone would eat up 1/10th of the space... maybe I should still wait a year or two with that.

I think your storage habits will naturally balloon to whatever space you have available. You can make 500GB work, and I understand your reluctance to go higher since 1TB drives basically double in price. Just set your budget and get the best that you can get.

Consider the possibility that games next gen will all "need" an SSD and you can imagine why you should go as big as you can now. But in the end, you can make 500GB work for you even if it might require some hard decisions when it comes to number of games installed at one time.

Edit: Or ya you could wait, or grab a cheap standard ssd on BF to hold over.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I want to run a small indie game in my class.

is it possible to download a game under 1gb onto a usb or external hdd and then play it on a work computer?

note that I probably cant download the game or steam onto the work computer

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I want to run a small indie game in my class.

is it possible to download a game under 1gb onto a usb or external hdd and then play it on a work computer?

note that I probably cant download the game or steam onto the work computer

Yes, buy itoin GoG / DRM Free Humble Bundle if you're extra worried about it.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So it being a work computer wont be an issue? I imagine websites like steam are banned but Since im not installing anything on to the computer/account and running it off the usb/hdd im good?
i am no expert here but it hink it depends on how the account system on the work computer works. For example in my uni some sites were locked but you could install whatever you wanted on the PC (even steam). The PC were formated I think every 3 months.
In this case bringing the installers on a USB drive would be enough.

If you work computer account doesn't allow you to install anything then bringing the installer on USB wouldn't work. In this case you would need a game that doesn't need to be installed and can be just run by their exe.
One way to test this is to get a free game like C&C. That said i'm not sure if there are games that can be run without being installed. The only thing that comes to mind are emulators but do note that depending where you are they can be illegal.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
i am no expert here but it hink it depends on how the account system on the work computer works. For example in my uni some sites were locked but you could install whatever you wanted on the PC (even steam). The PC were formated I think every 3 months.
In this case bringing the installers on a USB drive would be enough.

If you work computer account doesn't allow you to install anything then bringing the installer on USB wouldn't work. In this case you would need a game that doesn't need to be installed and can be just run by their exe.
One way to test this is to get a free game like C&C. That said i'm not sure if there are games that can be run without being installed. The only thing that comes to mind are emulators but do note that depending where you are they can be illegal.
I imagine i cant install any program onto the computer/windows account
i cant install on to an external hdd?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Now do note that i live in Portugal and prices are different. Also i made my PC 3 years ago so i'm not 100% up to speed on the newest components.
From a superficial approach the "catches" are:
  • no mention of the PSU
  • Can't find if it has a CPU cooler
  • very low quantity of ram and relatively "low" speed
  • very small space (just 256 + 1TB?)
  • windows 10 included (would probably be cheaper to buy a key)
  • mouse and keyboard included (probably unnecessary)
  • its using an RTX 2080 isntead of a RTX 2080 super (in portugal these cost the same)
  • only 1 year warranty
For Portugal the price is OK. You could probably buy something similar if you bought it by components; you could probably get better space and better ram for the same price; possibly a better PSU too; depending where you live you could also get RTX super instead of the "old" brand. In portugal by buying components you would have the following advantages:
  • waranty per component (for example my SSD has 5 years of warranty)
  • would know exactly what components you are using your money one (for example you could get an intel 660p SSD 2TB drive instead of a small SSD + HDD)
IMO beforing buing a prebuilt go to a local store and ask them how much would they charge for a similar PC. In portugal it is almost always cheaper buying components + work for building it than buying a pre-built.

I imagine i cant install any program onto the computer/windows account
i cant install on to an external hdd?
it depends on how the account system in your work is set up. Unless someone here works/studies where you are i don't think they can predict the way the windows/linux/mac account is setup. I'd try it with free games like C&C and see how it goes before buying any game.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Now do note that i live in Portugal and prices are different. Also i made my PC 3 years ago so i'm not 100% up to speed on the newest components.
From a superficial approach the "catches" are:
  • no mention of the PSU
  • Can't find if it has a CPU cooler
  • very low quantity of ram and relatively "low" speed
  • very small space (just 256 + 1TB?)
  • windows 10 included (would probably be cheaper to buy a key)
  • mouse and keyboard included (probably unnecessary)
  • its using an RTX 2080 isntead of a RTX 2080 super (in portugal these cost the same)
  • only 1 year warranty
For Portugal the price is OK. You could probably buy something similar if you bought it by components; you could probably get better space and better ram for the same price; possibly a better PSU too; depending where you live you could also get RTX super instead of the "old" brand. In portugal by buying components you would have the following advantages:
  • waranty per component (for example my SSD has 5 years of warranty)
  • would know exactly what components you are using your money one (for example you could get an intel 660p SSD 2TB drive instead of a small SSD + HDD)
IMO beforing buing a prebuilt go to a local store and ask them how much would they charge for a similar PC. In portugal it is almost always cheaper buying components + work for building it than buying a pre-built.

it depends on how the account system in your work is set up. Unless someone here works/studies where you are i don't think they can predict the way the windows/linux/mac account is setup. I'd try it with free games like C&C and see how it goes before buying any game.
Ill try with a game i already own that's under 1 gig and see what happens

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
So i did a 100% clean wipe. What is the best/most reliable way to set up programs to automatically install on a different drive? Cause I think the guide i used last time to do this is the reason why my windows couldn't install any updates ever..I wanna make sure i do this right this time.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I think your storage habits will naturally balloon to whatever space you have available. You can make 500GB work, and I understand your reluctance to go higher since 1TB drives basically double in price. Just set your budget and get the best that you can get.

Consider the possibility that games next gen will all "need" an SSD and you can imagine why you should go as big as you can now. But in the end, you can make 500GB work for you even if it might require some hard decisions when it comes to number of games installed at one time.

Edit: Or ya you could wait, or grab a cheap standard ssd on BF to hold over.

Hmm yeah I guess I'll wait what BF brings in Germany if anything and then decide, thanks for the input!

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

To me it's better to just install all games on SSD. The loading time improvements are worth it. I loathe the sound of mechanical hard drives too so it's nothing but SSDs for me at this point. The price difference between a decent 1 TB vs 500 GB SSD should not be massive, you don't need the fastest thing around for this as any SSD will be a big improvement.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
To me it's better to just install all games on SSD. The loading time improvements are worth it. I loathe the sound of mechanical hard drives too so it's nothing but SSDs for me at this point. The price difference between a decent 1 TB vs 500 GB SSD should not be massive, you don't need the fastest thing around for this as any SSD will be a big improvement.

Eh to be honest so far there's just one game where I feel a SSD is mandatory and that's Star Citizen. The majority of other games I play are either way more light-weight or have a multiplayer component where I have to wait for the others anyway so I don't mind slow loading. But yeah for the noise department I want to wait till 2tb SSDs hit around 100€ and then cram 2 or 3 in my PC and be done with mechanical storage.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Eh to be honest so far there's just one game where I feel a SSD is mandatory and that's Star Citizen. The majority of other games I play are either way more light-weight or have a multiplayer component where I have to wait for the others anyway so I don't mind slow loading. But yeah for the noise department I want to wait till 2tb SSDs hit around 100€ and then cram 2 or 3 in my PC and be done with mechanical storage.

Wait, you have NO SSD at all? Oh my, it's difficult to describe the difference it's so massive.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I just picked up a Western Digital Easy Store portable drive. It's got the WD Discovery install file loaded pre-loaded on it - can I just trash it or is there a benefit to installing it?

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
So i wiped my computer but now i have a new problem. My front mic jack won't detect any headsets/mics. My sound settings say nothing is plugged into it, also when i try to open my realtek audio console it says "Realtek Audio Console Doesn't support this machine". I have a Aorus Gaming 7 Mobo and Windows 10. It came with sound blaster connect but even that doesn't really seem to do anything

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
So i wiped my computer but now i have a new problem. My front mic jack won't detect any headsets/mics. My sound settings say nothing is plugged into it, also when i try to open my realtek audio console it says "Realtek Audio Console Doesn't support this machine". I have a Aorus Gaming 7 Mobo and Windows 10. It came with sound blaster connect but even that doesn't really seem to do anything

Have you tried manually grabbing the drivers

"(Note) Please install Realtek Audio Driver first."