• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was also looking weirdly at it the first time I saw it, good comparison! :P

OK so after playing some Fortnite my temps are insanely high and Im worried. These are in Celcius and are the mac values:

SYSTIN 43
CPUTIN 72
AUXTIN 42
TMPIN 99!

CPU FANS 2777
AUXFAN 1086 RPM

Package 100
CORE0 99
CORE1 100
CORE2 100
CORE3 91

These numbers are high, right? What do I do?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
OK so after playing some Fortnite my temps are insanely high and Im worried. These are in Celcius and are the mac values:

SYSTIN 43
CPUTIN 72
AUXTIN 42
TMPIN 99!

CPU FANS 2777
AUXFAN 1086 RPM

Package 100
CORE0 99
CORE1 100
CORE2 100
CORE3 91

These numbers are high, right? What do I do?

Okay that's high and likely the cause yeah. What CPU cooler do you have? First make sure the CPU-fan can actually still spin freely, next make sure it's still properly attached. If both of these are the case the next step is to replace the thermal-paste between the cooler and the CPU. For that dismount the cooler and clean both the cooler and the CPU off the old paste with a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol. Then apply a pea-sized ball of new thermal paste onto the center of the CPU and put the cooler back on.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that's high and likely the cause yeah. What CPU cooler do you have? First make sure the CPU-fan can actually still spin freely, next make sure it's still properly attached. If both of these are the case the next step is to replace the thermal-paste between the cooler and the CPU. For that dismount the cooler and clean both the cooler and the CPU off the old paste with a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol. Then apply a pea-sized ball of new thermal paste onto the center of the CPU and put the cooler back on.

If you are running the stock Intel cooler I would also strongly suggest getting a aftermarket cooler, Intel's stock coolers are awful all around :/

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Damn. That sucks, I figured cleaning the dust would help but why would this happen... Would it help to play on much lower settings too? Ill look into your advice thanks

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. That sucks, I figured cleaning the dust would help but why would this happen... Would it help to play on much lower settings too? Ill look into your advice thanks

It would actually help raising the settings as then you push more work towards the GPU away from the CPU but really that's no state to leave your PC in :/ It's like breaking your arm and saying: "Oh then I just won't use my arm anymore!" you have to get it properly fixed.

EDIT: I just realized instead of editing my previous post I quoted myself. See my second post too!

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It would actually help raising the settings as then you push more work towards the GPU away from the CPU but really that's no state to leave your PC in :/ It's like breaking your arm and saying: "Oh then I just won't use my arm anymore!" you have to get it properly fixed.

EDIT: I just realized instead of editing my previous post I quoted myself. See my second post too!

Ok thanks

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I heavily torrented on an external hdd 4 Tb drive now it seems to be reading and writing slowly from what I can tell

However after several video thumbnails were refreshed and updated it seems to be running better now for some reason not many video files just very high quality and large ones

I also ran disk check and seemed to return no errors

Are there any options to look for drive faults more deeply or assess performance or even clean up the drive to improve performance or is it just crapped out?

The whole is still readable and files work and I can still play games off of it. Would defragging it even be worthwhile since files are so large anyway? Would defragging hurt the drive performance more with more read write operations? Do I need to replace it soon?

Also noticed that steam installing games to it would just halt randomly unlike any other drive though I haven't tested this since I refreshed video thumbnails and it's working better now

It's a fairly new drive so curious if it could be damaged quickly if there wad heavy read write from torrent use like 25 at a time lmao

Lastly I recently activated caching on the drive which helped also and I enabled on the other USB drives as well which aren't having problems

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My kid needs a new gaming keyboard that actually uses switches. It's in the family room, so I don't want anything incredibly noisy.

Any suggestions?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I heavily torrented on an external hdd 4 Tb drive now it seems to be reading and writing slowly from what I can tell

However after several video thumbnails were refreshed and updated it seems to be running better now for some reason not many video files just very high quality and large ones

I also ran disk check and seemed to return no errors

Are there any options to look for drive faults more deeply or assess performance or even clean up the drive to improve performance or is it just crapped out?

The whole is still readable and files work and I can still play games off of it. Would defragging it even be worthwhile since files are so large anyway? Would defragging hurt the drive performance more with more read write operations? Do I need to replace it soon?

Also noticed that steam installing games to it would just halt randomly unlike any other drive though I haven't tested this since I refreshed video thumbnails and it's working better now

It's a fairly new drive so curious if it could be damaged quickly if there wad heavy read write from torrent use like 25 at a time lmao

Lastly I recently activated caching on the drive which helped also and I enabled on the other USB drives as well which aren't having problems
If drive performance is poor, it's more likely that the drive is fragmented rather than damaged - though many external drives have plastic enclosures that tend to insulate heat, which means they aren't really suited to a lot of constant work.
If you have a tower, most cases have a fan blowing over the HDD cage so you're usually far better off with internal HDDs than external for something that you're using to load games off, rather than storing backups. SATA is far better than USB for this too. Few drives or motherboards support eSATA now, so I'm assuming it's a USB connection.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I think I'm just getting old but I was ignoring Corsair because I can't figure out all the model variations.

(MK1 MK2 LUX RGB aluminum plastic etc etc)
Don't sleep on Corsair. I have the tenkey-less version of the keyboard he linked, it's great. You can program the lights to whatever you want or turn them all off. It has the feel/action reaponse of a good mechanical keyboard, while not being much louder than membrane keyboard. If it got broken/lost I would purchase the same one again immediately. It's awesome.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Just a question about using thermal paste: how many Degrees of a difference can I expect?

If the old thermal paste is getting me 100 Celcius, wont I need to cut by like 40%? Im worried about doing this project but Ive ordered some Arctic paste

Do I necessarily need to buy the alcohol to remove the old paste or can I use something else?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Just a question about using thermal paste: how many Degrees of a difference can I expect?

If the old thermal paste is getting me 100 Celcius, wont I need to cut by like 40%? Im worried about doing this project but Ive ordered some Arctic paste

Do I necessarily need to buy the alcohol to remove the old paste or can I use something else?

What cooler do you use, the stock one? Well a normal functioning thermal-paste should never make a CPU exceed 70°C under most circumstances, it's likely that your old paste just got dry and brittle over the years. I've always used rubbing alcohol but in theory any kind of alcoholic solvent should work aslong as it's high percentage and doesn't include sugar or any other extras. I've heard of people cleaning with high-percentage vodka even.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
What cooler do you use, the stock one? Well a normal functioning thermal-paste should never make a CPU exceed 70°C under most circumstances, it's likely that your old paste just got dry and brittle over the years. I've always used rubbing alcohol but in theory any kind of alcoholic solvent should work aslong as it's high percentage and doesn't include sugar or any other extras. I've heard of people cleaning with high-percentage vodka even.

Thanks. Im going to be honest, I built my pc a long while ago and dont even know what cooler I have or what it looks like

Edit: im dumb, I know what a cooler is now

My pc is actually probably 6 or 7 years old, I dont totally remember. So the paste is probably so brittle and useless

Is 70C considered safe enough? I feel like Id have to constantly monitor it because its fairly high still compared to something like 60C or 50C

Now, when I put a peadrop of paste on the cpu chip, do i just press down with a credit card? Should it be a thin layer covering most of surface?

Thanks so much for your help btw

Last edited:

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. Im going to be honest, I built my pc a long while ago and dont even know what cooler I have or what it looks like

My pc is actually probably 6 or 7 years old, I dont totally remember. So the paste is probably so brittle and useless

Is 70C considered safe enough? I feel like Id have to constantly monitor it because its fairly high still compared to something like 60C or 50C

Now, when I put a peadrop of paste on the cpu chip, do i just press down with a credit card? Should it be a thin layer covering most of surface?

70 under heavy load is pretty standard. Idle temps should be much lower with a decent to good cooler though.

Don't spread the paste, the force of pushing the cold plate of the cooler down along with screwing it in will spread it enough. Just have to make sure you put it on evenly

There are plenty of YouTube videos for stuff like this, I'd pick a cooler and type it into YouTube to see if there are any specific instillation videos.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
70 under heavy load is pretty standard. Idle temps should be much lower with a decent to good cooler though.

Don't spread the paste, the force of pushing the cold plate of the cooler down along with screwing it in will spread it enough. Just have to make sure you put it on evenly

There are plenty of YouTube videos for stuff like this, I'd pick a cooler and type it into YouTube to see if there are any specific instillation videos.

Thanks. So no need to unscrew the cpu itself, just the cooler (which I see now is the giant metal thing), and then just pressing that back down

I believe my cooler had an intel sticker but ill check when my paste arrives

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: im dumb, I know what a cooler is now

No problem, I'm always happy to help :) Just follow what FHIZ said and you'll be fine! If your cooler has a Intel-sticker it's probably a stock Intel one and honestly you might want to get a decent aftermarket-cooler which are under $40. What CPU do you have?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
No problem, I'm always happy to help :) Just follow what FHIZ said and you'll be fine! If your cooler has a Intel-sticker it's probably a stock Intel one and honestly you might want to get a decent aftermarket-cooler which are under $40. What CPU do you have?

Is the difference that big? Any recommendations? Im in Canada so id like to stay under $40 for sure

Ill try out the paste and if its not cool enough Ill consider a new cooler

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. So no need to unscrew the cpu itself, just the cooler (which I see now is the giant metal thing), and then just pressing that back down

I believe my cooler had an intel sticker but ill check when my paste arrives
In my swapping of coolers, taking the CPU has always made cleaning the old paste off easier.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Is the difference that big? Any recommendations? Im in Canada so id like to stay under $40 for sure

Ill try out the paste and if its not cool enough Ill consider a new cooler

The difference is most of the time substantial both in noise and temperature but without knowing your CPU model I don't really want to throw out recommendations. You can check it with a program called CPU-Z!

fuzzylogic

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people keep trying to brute force my Instagram password? I keep getting those "looks like you're having trouble logging into your account" emails. There's nothing on my account anyways, I've never used it. Should I just delete the account?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Why do people keep trying to brute force my Instagram password? I keep getting those "looks like you're having trouble logging into your account" emails. There's nothing on my account anyways, I've never used it. Should I just delete the account?

Probably. If they get into it they'll likely use it to spam shit and get it blocked anyway.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
my cpu is Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40 GHz

the GPU is AMD Radeon HD 7800

That's my CPU! :D

I would say grab the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for the best of budget options at $30:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master...58806&sr=8-3&keywords=be+quiet+pure+rock&th=1

If you want something more future-proof for newer CPU's too and such grab the Cryorig H7 for $40:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cryorig-Tower...TF8&qid=1531759216&sr=1-1&keywords=cryorig+h7

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
If drive performance is poor, it's more likely that the drive is fragmented rather than damaged - though many external drives have plastic enclosures that tend to insulate heat, which means they aren't really suited to a lot of constant work.
If you have a tower, most cases have a fan blowing over the HDD cage so you're usually far better off with internal HDDs than external for something that you're using to load games off, rather than storing backups. SATA is far better than USB for this too. Few drives or motherboards support eSATA now, so I'm assuming it's a USB connection.
Very helpful thank you.

Yes I am considering simply moving heavier read/write applications and games into an internal drive, the only issue is I don't have much space to fit a third drive or I will just have to be very creative inside there haha

I do much prefer SATA drives but yea space right now is the only limiting factor, may buy another 4 TB or even 6 TB internal

Thanks again

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the longest I've ever owned a single GPU (thanks Nvidia for not releasing anything new in forever) since I cared about things like temps and fan speeds. And when I bought this thing, it would cap out at 69% with my current fan speeds (barely audible). But now I'm seeing temps rise to 74-75, so I think I might actually have to replace the thermal paste.

How often to people replace the thermal paste on their GPUs? And is there a new hotness in thermal paste, or should I just stick with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This is the longest I've ever owned a single GPU (thanks Nvidia for not releasing anything new in forever) since I cared about things like temps and fan speeds. And when I bought this thing, it would cap out at 69% with my current fan speeds (barely audible). But now I'm seeing temps rise to 74-75, so I think I might actually have to replace the thermal paste.

How often to people replace the thermal paste on their GPUs? And is there a new hotness in thermal paste, or should I just stick with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?

You sure it's not dust inside the fin-grills?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
IMHO, you should always delete accounts you aren't using. That way you don't have to worry about what you're seeing.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
What's the most reliable external HDD for long term cold storage? Are Seagates still worse than WD? Is Toshiba worth considering? Are 1TB drives more reliable than 500GB?

What about USB flash drives? I'd prefer a couple 128GB flash drives over a single HDD. I've never had any issues with USB sticks and some are almost 10 years old.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If there is a more appropriate hardware thread I would appreciate a link to it.

I currently have a 1060 GTX 6GB and a 1440p monitor. Amazon has a special on the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 GAMING 8GB for $420 after taxes. My 1060 sells in the low $200s so my total cost to upgrade is around $200.

Is it worth it at this time with new cards coming "soon"? Would one of the new $400 cards 6 months from now be more powerful than the 1070 Ti? I don't follow hardware so I'm not sure how much each gen improves. If I wait my card will probably drop another $50-75 in resale value.

My primary game is PUBG. I typically get 60fps with drops to the low 50s. AA low, post processing low, textures high, view distance ultra.

My CPU is a i5 6600K.

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a more appropriate hardware thread I would appreciate a link to it.

I currently have a 1060 GTX 6GB and a 1440p monitor. Amazon has a special on the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 GAMING 8GB for $420 after taxes. My 1060 sells in the low $200s so my total cost to upgrade is around $200.

Is it worth it at this time with new cards coming "soon"? Would one of the new $400 cards 6 months from now be more powerful than the 1070 Ti? I don't follow hardware so I'm not sure how much each gen improves. If I wait my card will probably drop another $50-75 in resale value.

My primary game is PUBG. I typically get 60fps with drops to the low 50s. AA low, post processing low, textures high, view distance ultra.

My CPU is a i5 6600K.
Get a 1080.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I have one of those 'off the shelf' Predator PCs; grabbed it at Best Buy about 2 years ago. Been playing it on a 4K tv, and occasionally on an old-ass monitor i've had since 2008 or some shit.

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. My main focus is high framerates. I wanna finally feel what it's like to play at frame rates higher than 60. I'm really not as sensitive to resolution. On my PS4 Pro and Xbox1X I select frame rate over resolution 100% of the time, regardless of the game. 4K doesn't really thrill me, I prefer smoothness if given the option and frankly I find most games look great at 1080p.

With that in mind, i'm thinking about grabbing a G-Sync monitor and a graphics card to boost my machine. Few questions:

(Disclaimer: i know everything about video and computer games but have little to no technical ability when it comes to building PCs or anything like that. I even have trouble installing mods. It's that bad. I couldn't even get the Dark Souls fix to work properly because of my ineptitude. My ability maxes out at 'buy game on Steam and launch it')

1. Which monitor should I look at? 24 inches i'm sure is big enough.

2. Which graphics card? I know I need to get GeForce to take advantage of the g-sync, but I don't wanna get something that isn't optimal for my machine.

3. How much 'tinkering' with settings and whatnot will I have to do to maximize all this? Anytime I read that I have to alter an INI file I freeze up.

4. How will my PS4 Pro and Xbox1X look on a g-Sync monitor? Any reason to hook up a console to them as opposed to a larger TV?

5. How hard is it to install a graphics card these days? Keep in mind I suck at this stuff

6. I can't afford to upgrade anything other than the card and monitor at this point, but down the road what would be the best upgrade? More ram, a new CPU?

7. Is gaming at 144hz as fucking amazing as I expect it'll be?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and/or respond to any or all of my layman's questions...

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
Just built my first pc a few months ago. If I were to upgrade gpu every refresh, how often would I have to upgrade my motherboard?

Oct 25, 2017
I have one of those 'off the shelf' Predator PCs; grabbed it at Best Buy about 2 years ago. Been playing it on a 4K tv, and occasionally on an old-ass monitor i've had since 2008 or some shit.

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. My main focus is high framerates. I wanna finally feel what it's like to play at frame rates higher than 60. I'm really not as sensitive to resolution. On my PS4 Pro and Xbox1X I select frame rate over resolution 100% of the time, regardless of the game. 4K doesn't really thrill me, I prefer smoothness if given the option and frankly I find most games look great at 1080p.

With that in mind, i'm thinking about grabbing a G-Sync monitor and a graphics card to boost my machine. Few questions:

(Disclaimer: i know everything about video and computer games but have little to no technical ability when it comes to building PCs or anything like that. I even have trouble installing mods. It's that bad. I couldn't even get the Dark Souls fix to work properly because of my ineptitude. My ability maxes out at 'buy game on Steam and launch it')

1. Which monitor should I look at? 24 inches i'm sure is big enough.

2. Which graphics card? I know I need to get GeForce to take advantage of the g-sync, but I don't wanna get something that isn't optimal for my machine.

3. How much 'tinkering' with settings and whatnot will I have to do to maximize all this? Anytime I read that I have to alter an INI file I freeze up.

4. How will my PS4 Pro and Xbox1X look on a g-Sync monitor? Any reason to hook up a console to them as opposed to a larger TV?

5. How hard is it to install a graphics card these days? Keep in mind I suck at this stuff

6. I can't afford to upgrade anything other than the card and monitor at this point, but down the road what would be the best upgrade? More ram, a new CPU?

7. Is gaming at 144hz as fucking amazing as I expect it'll be?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and/or respond to any or all of my layman's questions...
24 inches is fine if you're gaming at 1080p.
As for what GPU you should get, you need to tell us what your pc specs are.
Installing a gpu is not hard. Just insert it into the 16x PCIe slot and connect the power pin connectors
As far as future upgrades goes, you probably would need a new pc build but if you buy a future proof card, you would only need to buy a new mobo, cpu, ram, psu, and an ssd if you don't have one already.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the Windows Insider program on the Fast Ring, and I'd like to get out and back on to the public release schedule. My only option for doing this right now would be resetting Windows entirely which I don't want to do. I'm wondering if there will be a time when it will become possible to get out of the Insider previews, and when exactly that will be. Will I need to wait until the next big public release, and if so what steps will I have to take to get back to the normal version of Windows? Thanks.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on Corsair. I have the tenkey-less version of the keyboard he linked, it's great. You can program the lights to whatever you want or turn them all off. It has the feel/action reaponse of a good mechanical keyboard, while not being much louder than membrane keyboard. If it got broken/lost I would purchase the same one again immediately. It's awesome.

Older version is $80 on Prime Day, in!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get a download in 1080p? Most YT downloaders say they require an additional install (which seems shady).

Oops sorry that's my bad then, it seems downloading in 1080p is indeed not as easily possible for some reason. I've been using this addon for ages and always saw all-kinds of resolutions listed so I thought 1080p would be there aswell but I just checked and it isn't. Sorry again!

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
That's my CPU! :D

I would say grab the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for the best of budget options at $30:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531758806&sr=8-3&keywords=be+quiet+pure+rock&th=1

If you want something more future-proof for newer CPU's too and such grab the Cryorig H7 for $40:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cryorig-Tower...TF8&qid=1531759216&sr=1-1&keywords=cryorig+h7

Thanks!
So i removrd the old paste with a paper towel

It was not as dry as I had thought it would be

But now I have a concern: is it ok to leave residue? I removed all the physical paste but it still has a residue that would need alcohol

I cant use vodka or 67.5% alcohol? (Highest I have)