• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Intel or AMD?

• Intel

Votes: 235 22.2%
  • AMD

Votes: 823 77.8%

• Total voters

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Just recently with AMD (3800x) and love it. Now i just wait for new cards next year and I'll be set for next gen :D

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
on the next build? Whoever has the best price/performance ratio in a few years

in the immediate future, I'll probably pick up a used 9900k(s?) as a stop-gap

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will take a look and buy whatever is the highest performing gaming processor that I can afford. I don't give a shit about which processor is faster at unzipping zip files. I don't care about brand and I think it's silly to be a fanboy of one. Companies do not give a shit about you and your are naive as fuck to think that one of them are "the good guys", while the other is "the evil corporation".

I'm more concerned about GPU prices. I'm hoping that AMD's next generation will finally complete with the high end **80 or **80 Ti's of Nvidia.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Got a 3700X when they released so not thinking about upgrading for a while.
Don't really have brand loyalty and will pick up whatever seems best (value, perf) again in 3-4 years.

I swore off AMD CPUs years ago when they started misleading consumers with their CPU names. At one point the "1500" in the model name was also the clock speed in MHz. Then suddenly they started doing differently and a "3000" wasn't running at 3000MHz (which I think the main Intel competitor at the time did) but as I recall around 2200, maybe 2500. I haven't had an AMD since.

But perhaps it's time to forgive.
You might wanna read up on what Intel has done if this is an unforgivable sin.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Depends on whats out there when I finally pull the trigger. I was an affordable X570 board away from going AMD this summer, but mobo issues plus other things sidelined an upgrade. If all things are equal I'd probably buy Intel because I've worked through their idiosyncrasies for the last decade vs (potentially) hitting an unexpected issue with an AMD build. But with how things are going, I imagine AMD will have a more compelling mid-range option so my next build is probably AMD. If I had to build right now I wouldn't even look at Intel in my price range though, the 3600 is just too damn good.

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
I feel the need for some reason to specify that I generally have had no preference when it comes to Intel V. AMD.

I'm going to look at AMD route next time I do an upgrade and probably a year or two (however my 6700K and 1070 set up will probably be good for another 3-5 years at least).

The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way with Intel is that since buying my 6700K two years ago, to remain secure, it's performance would be 30-40% worse since the major speculative execution flaws came to light.

I would need to disable HT (something that's a premium with Intel) and the numerous mitigations implemented have an impact in performance.

Meanwhile AMD has had less issues come to light since the first round of speculative execution flaws were publicly revealed.

For the time being I hope this site doesn't get any additions

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
I will be going AMD when I build my next PC this summer. AMD price to performance is just better.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
AMD CPU and probably Nvidia GPU. For some reason I have in my head that AMD GPUs are all loud and power hungry, which is probably incorrect.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
undecided. have a 9600k right now, who knows what will be available when i decide to upgrade? i dont mind either one, ill get whatever is the best bang/buck for gaming in my price range.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Whatever is the most worth it for my gaming needs and workflows. Intel has been for the last couple of dozen years. Doubt it will change anytime soon.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I now aim for 1080p/240 or 1440p/144.

I keep reading that for really high framerates, Intel is still the better choice. AMD is now better overall but if you're specifically targetting high refresh rates, go with Intel.

I'm not sure if that will change because of the CPU in the next-gen consoles or because of something else. I want it to be very comfortable for at least 5-6 years so I was thinking I should wait for Intel 7nm but that's at least 2021.

I probably won't be able to hold out that long. I'm on an i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz but it's starting to not perform as well as I'd want. Not really sure what to do at this stage tbh.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
For pure gaming? Man, AMD is running circles around Intel right now.

Where exactly? I've only seen AMD cpus perform better in like three games. 3900X loses to the 8700K in most games, and currently costs more than the 9900K. The 3900X is a fine chip that edges out the i9 for productivity, but someone would be hard pressed to say it "runs circles" around anything Intel has on the gaming side of things.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Well I buy gaming laptops, and right now AMD is literally obsolete in the space.

Rumor has it they are supposed to be revealing 6+ core Ryzen mobile chips at CES, so I'm excited to see if the company finally makes a push to gain a foothold with some real performance CPUs.

I just acquired a laptop with a desktop i7-9700K and RTX 2080 a few weeks ago though, so I won't be looking to upgrade until 2021 at the earliest, unless I sell next year.

I definitely wouldn't mind AMD putting a ton of pressure on Intel, because the latter is massively boosting laptop prices with what they charge per wafer on the mobile CPUs. The basic 8-core mobile chip, the i9-9980H will run you a $700 premium over the 6-core i7-9750H, in the same laptop. Ridiculous.

plast

Oct 25, 2017
I voted AMD (because fuck Intel), but I'll stick with my 4770k for now and upgrade when DDR5 hits the market. If AMD can manage to not shit the bed until then and we get another Bulldozer situation, I'll probably go back to team red.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I'm torn on this. I need a new gaming build in 2020. AMD clearly has the best value, but Intel has a 5-10% FPS benefit in games. Closer to only 5% at 1440p. That almost enough for me to go with Intel but I want to go with AMD.

I guess we'll see what the Intel Comet Lake S brings.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Where exactly? I've only seen AMD cpus perform better in like three games. 3900X loses to the 8700K in most games, and currently costs more than the 9900K. The 3900X is a fine chip that edges out the i9 for productivity, but someone would be hard pressed to say it "runs circles" around anything Intel has on the gaming side of things.
Yeah this threw me off as well. Intel is still king in terms of raw gaming performance with very few exceptions. That being said amd are making very pro consumer moves and Intel is so far behind them in terms of their 7nm chips. If Intel can stop being so damn scummy I'll continue to use them when I rebuild in a year or two, otherwise amd it is.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I now aim for 1080p/240 or 1440p/144.

I keep reading that for really high framerates, Intel is still the better choice. AMD is now better overall but if you're specifically targetting high refresh rates, go with Intel.

I'm not sure if that will change because of the CPU in the next-gen consoles or because of something else. I want it to be very comfortable for at least 5-6 years so I was thinking I should wait for Intel 7nm but that's at least 2021.

I probably won't be able to hold out that long. I'm on an i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz but it's starting to not perform as well as I'd want. Not really sure what to do at this stage tbh.

It's really close as it is right now. I also game at 1080p/240 and 1440p/165 so I have a 9900k. In your position I'd buy a 9900k right now or buy the zen3+ that comes out next year from amd.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Have AMD now, will be going with AMD unless Intell gives me a compelling reason not to. Either the 3600x or whatever the comes on the next Zen platform.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As for the post, here's how I see it shaking out:

Now - Novemberish 2020
- you buy a 9900k or you buy a zen2 chip

Novemberish 2020 - late 2021
- you just buy zen 3. Intel's best offering is a slower 9900k with 2 more cores

Late 2021 - late 2022
- See how intel backport to 14nm works but you probably just keep buying Zen3+ or whatever

Late 2022 - ??
- see how the 7nm intel is lookin.

But basically .. I don't really see a reason to buy intel chips in the next few years? Right now they've got the 9900k but once the new ryzen stuff comes out, the response wont be there for years lol. Pretty crazy.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I feel so out of touch. I built my PC about 5 years ago, and AMD was considered trash back then.

Nov 8, 2017
I have no idea. It will depend on how my r7 2700 + 2080 holds up on first contact with next gen games. I probably don't need an upgrade until 2022 or something, realistically. But I may go sooner.

Pleasant!

Nov 1, 2017
I'm more sympathetic toward AMD due to their market share and past Intel hijinx and currently use a Ryzen 1700. The answer for me though is whoever has a thermal/fps advantage when I next decide to do an upgrade. I'm guessing 2021-ish. If both platforms are within a % or 2 of eachother at that point, I'll default to AMD unless they start wildly overpricing cpus.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I've already gone with Intel for another round.
Idk I wanted the best gaming performance and less trouble with bios, so it seemed like the obvious choice, especially since I had found a nice deal for the 9900k.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've already gone with Intel for another round.
Idk I wanted the best gaming performance and less trouble with bios, so it seemed like the obvious choice, especially since I had found a nice deal for the 9900k.

Yup, AMD bios issues were a fucking nightmare on zen2 release. I had a 3900x but Im really busy with work these days and couldn't be fucked to deal with it. Returned and got the 9900k as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 5700X in 2021 (coming from a 2700X). I'm still sticking with Nvidia for my GPU (1080 Ti) and also upgrading that in 2021 to a 4080 Ti, hopefully.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cheated slightly because I build my computer a couple of months ago but I went with AMD/Nvidia for my system. Absolutely zero regrets.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for Ryzen 5 3600 for my build.I hope it's worth it since it will be my first PC since a long time

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just built both me and my wifes first gaming PC with a 2070 Super. Pretty sure I am good for a bit although there was someone saying the new XSX will have a gpu comparable to a 2080 Super so now I am kinda curious to see where the chips may fall next holiday.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see what the market looks like when DDR5 and USB4 are released. Who knows, maybe PCIE5 will be out as well since the spec was finalized back in May.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Went amd 3rd gen for my current build and unless intel gets there shit together my next will too. I really wish i didn't have to use Nvidia but I usually play at higher res and want max settings so i pay the price.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Currently on a 1700 and will absolutely jump on to Zen 3 or Zen 4 depending on when I deem it necessary to upgrade. I don't see much reason to consider Intel if their current trajectory is how they plan to keep going.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
This year I went AMD (3900x) after being on Intel for 6 years. Next one will be whatever is better value, that's likely at least 5 years away (unless something happens, like major leap or something breaks).

I feel the need for some reason to specify that I generally have had no preference when it comes to Intel V. AMD.

I'm going to look at AMD route next time I do an upgrade and probably a year or two (however my 6700K and 1070 set up will probably be good for another 3-5 years at least).

The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way with Intel is that since buying my 6700K two years ago, to remain secure, it's performance would be 30-40% worse since the major speculative execution flaws came to light.

I would need to disable HT (something that's a premium with Intel) and the numerous mitigations implemented have an impact in performance.

Meanwhile AMD has had less issues come to light since the first round of speculative execution flaws were publicly revealed.

For the time being I hope this site doesn't get any additions

I wonder if this is due to: (combination of)

1) AMD not being as interesting target
2) AMD had foresight to block many of issues
3) Intel over optimised for speed, by not having security checks

or something else.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I've dumped intel once AMD released the first Ryzen. All my Intel PCs were swapped to AMD and I haven't looked back. That said, I'll go with whoever has the best bang for the price and is appealing. Right now, that's AMD.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Currently using a 6600k and 980ti. I will go AMD with my next build in 2021 or 2022, when PCIe Gen 5 and DDR5 comes, likely their 5xxx series CPUs.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not in a need for a new PC, but I would go with AMD, just because it has the best value. U can't beat getting all those cores for such a low price.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I'll buy a ryzen 3600, but in half year or so, I don't really need it right now.