• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Intel or AMD?

• Intel

Votes: 235 22.2%
  • AMD

Votes: 823 77.8%

• Total voters

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'll either get a stop-gap cheaper AMD rig in a few months.

Or I'll wait until 2021 and get a beefy Intel rig.

It all depends on how long my current rig will survive. It's misbehaving right now, can go into a reset-every-3-seconds loop for a few minutes before finally starting.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I have this constant problem in which I'm waiting for a sale on a decent ryzen cpu but everytime it goes on sale they announce the next gen and the features are crazy. I'm on a i7-2700K, and while I do most of my gaming on my PS4, I still need my PC for the occasional FFXI/FFXIV and some Deus Ex HR. I'm pretty sure I'll go for AMD since the whole socket ordeal with AMD but I don't know if I want to go with a better Ryzen 7 and have it last longer or go with better value and get a decent Ryzen 5.

Given how long you've waited, you seem the type to carry a platform for a good long while. At 4.5-5Ghz, a 2700K is still totally fine for 60-100hz gaming, so unless you had 2080S/1080ti or better, just hang in there until DDR5 comes along, then jump to whatever is good at that time, perhaps AM4+. The current DDR4 platforms are dead ends once DDR5 hits.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I'll upgrade to Zen 4. I have a 9900K which will probably fine performance wise next-gen but I expect it to run hot with increased CPU utilization next-gen.

No. With 3900X and 9900KS OC'd to the max, I see completely manageable temps and whisper quiet operation when under Noctua DH15 series for both, even when pegged at 100% + AVX on all cores for burn in. If your cooling is sufficient, heat and noise need never be an issue.

If anything, 7nm+ and 5nm TSMC and 10nm Intel will be HARDER to cool due to hot spotting and heat density. It's an emerging problem, and it's one of the reasons 7nm is not clocking very well.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
My personal computer is an Intel but all of the work computers I built are AMD. Can't beat that performance/price ratio!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm set aside from a graphics upgrade for at least another year or two, but I've been AMD for a long time. My secondary computer is still sitting with a bulldozer based processor. Yeah, it's performance on CPU tasks was butt, but I just was never willing to pay Intel's prices especially since games still played well enough.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I built a new PC early this summer and ended up going Intel because there was a nice promotion on a combo i9900k with a mobo and RAM at Microcenter.

Otherwise I would have possibly just gone AMD. As an old Athlon user, it is nice to see AMD rising up again.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Honestly I'm a bit annoyed that my gamble of last year failed. Due to some circumstances I had to upgrade my 3570k PC in August 2018 and was met with said gamble. Do I take the lower temporary performance of a 2nd Gen Ryzen and then if 3rd Gen Ryzen really hits it home I have an easy upgrade path or do I play it safe and go for a Intel 8600k with 6c/6t in the hopes that 6 threads will carry me through next gen?

Well as we all can see my gamble failed hard, 3rd Gen Ryzen came down with a bang and next gen consoles will have 8c/16t CPUs. So realistically I might have to upgrade way sooner again, I'm not even confident I can run Cyberpunk well at this point with my 8600k as even Battlefield V pegs all cores are almost 100%. And while I don't think the Ryzen 3700x is overpriced the thought of having to shell out around 500€ again anytime soon while I still have my GTX 1070 to replace too at some point hurts. Especially with next-gen consoles looming next year for exclusives.

You can move to 9900 without a huge cash outlay or Windows reinstall, as the 8th and 9th gen i5 and i7 have truly stupid resale prices. 8C/16T high IPC will be perfect for 9th gen. Solid 6C/12T should hold up fairly well also, I'm thinking 8700k/8086k/Ryzen 3600 will do mostly well. 4C/8T and 6C/6T may be borderline, and anything less will be often problematic.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I'm set aside from a graphics upgrade for at least another year or two, but I've been AMD for a long time. My secondary computer is still sitting with a bulldozer based processor. Yeah, it's performance on CPU tasks was butt, but I just was never willing to pay Intel's prices especially since games still played well enough.

Haha, yeah the 6300/6359/8320/8350/etc were ok at some things. Really held up nicely with BF4/5!

I really hated the boards though. I got the top end 990FX board for like $289, and it had noticably weak SATA and USB3 performance.

I am SO happy to see that even with the B350 series, AMD is no longer suffering under weak chipsets and mobos that don't do it justice. If anything, if you run more than one nVME drive, AM4 and B*50/X*70 series give you superior I/O due to the additional PCIe lanes. <3 my Taichi x470.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
As a console only player who has no horse in this race I hope someone here can answer my question.

So as I understand it, Intel is still on 14nm while AMD made the switch to 7nm a year ago or so. Right now they seem pretty equal performance wise, but won't Intel pretty much obliterate AMD performance wise when they make the switch?

I really don't want to start any arguments here, I'm just curious because as someone who doesn't even understand PC for dummies that's what it sounds like.

Jul 26, 2018
My 1st gaming PC i've built since last November 2018 is a Ryzen 7 2700X with RTX 2080 Super. Very happy with the build, purchase, and performance atm.

At this point, the only reason i'll go to intel is due to the sexy motherboards other brands offer like the ASUS ROG mb's. I gotta admit.. some of the intel's MB look so nice that i want to make the switch but very unlikely will happen.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I've had AMD-based PCs since 2004. We'll see how the landscape looks when my current (Ryzen 7 1700X) build is due for replacement in '23 or '24.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So as I understand it, Intel is still on 14nm while AMD made the switch to 7nm a year ago or so. Right now they seem pretty equal performance wise, but won't Intel pretty much obliterate AMD performance wise when they make the switch?
AMD is all set for 5nm in 2021, and 7nm+ next year. They're already expecting another 10% increase in IPC AND a 10% increase in core clocks on 7nm+ (theoretical 20% improvement, but more likely 10-15% real world depending on the task). They've got a solid roadmap and should be fine against Intel when they finally get their act together. Intel isn't going to be competing against what AMD has today, they have to make a giant leap over their 14nm to get to what AMD will have by then.

Intel and AMD are set to be very competitive for at least the next 2-3 years and likely longer.

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just recently made a build since the 9900KF was on sale for $420, and I was sick of waiting for the 3900x to come into stock.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a console only player who has no horse in this race I hope someone here can answer my question.

I really don't want to start any arguments here, I'm just curious because as someone who doesn't even understand PC for dummies that's what it sounds like.

performance relies on way, way more than chip size. There isn't even a standard metric for performance. Do you mean power draw, for example, or throughput? Technology isn't linear measurements, where X is wholly better than Y is wholly better than Z. It's more like comparing A to 1 to Circle. The devil is in the details, technology are tools, the right tool for the right job. Is a screw driver a better tool than a hammer? Perhaps for screwing in a screw, but not for hammering a nail. If you are doing something where power draw is important, then die size matters very much as it will affect heat. This is usually the case in compact machines. If not, if throughput is important, then die size really doesn't matter to much, instruction set matters more.

It's one reason I cringe whenever people talk about TFLOPS so much. Floating point operations are NOT the be-all end-all performance metric. There are lots, and lots of integer-math related functions in computer programming, which will be nearly single digit cycle instructions, making TFLOPS a meaningless metric.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Whichever one has the best upgrade path. I feel like a damn idiot going with a 7700k with no upgrade path. Don't get me wrong, the CPU is still good, but in hindsight, I kinda wish I had gone with first-gen Ryzen when I upgraded in 2017. I could be rocking a nice 3800x right now.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Form a consumer standpoint I believe AMD is more bang for the buck and they dont change their sockets as often as Intel.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going and have recently gone intel purely for the fact it performs better with high framerate monitors. Also 8 cores @ 5GHz (so far) so I'm set for a while no matter what happens.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Undecided, as I'm currently running couple of i9-9900K builds and expect to have time until 2024 before next round of updates.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
AMD is all set for 5nm in 2021, and 7nm+ next year. They're already expecting another 10% increase in IPC AND a 10% increase in core clocks on 7nm+ (theoretical 20% improvement, but more likely 10-15% real world depending on the task). They've got a solid roadmap and should be fine against Intel when they finally get their act together. Intel isn't going to be competing against what AMD has today, they have to make a giant leap over their 14nm to get to what AMD will have by then.

Intel and AMD are set to be very competitive for at least the next 2-3 years and likely longer.

I expect AMD to either lead or be very close for a good long while, but it is important to note two things :

Intel 14nm+ is about as dense as what TSMC would call '10nm'. Intel's 10nm is about 1:1 with TSMC 7nm, just due to how differently they measure and market their processes.

Second, the added density is beginning to have noticable adverse effects on clock speed and how much power you can put into it to chase said clocks. Hot spotting is a big problem, and the ludicrous density makes attempts at cooling nearly impossible to effectively pull from the die, through the solder/TIM/STIM fast enough and wide enough to do what you'd like. Previous gens with such a notable process shrink would enable higher clocks, but we've now been in the 3.8-5Ghz range for the better part of a decade starting really with 32nm (45nm if you count solid air OC, or even arguably 65nm!!).

A good note on how differently these things play out is by looking at Surface Pro new model, available with AMD and Intel. In that realm, Intel wins in both CPU performance and battery life despite the by the numbers process disadvantage. Flip it to desktop or workstation, and suddenly it's AMD with the wide margin of victory in most situations, with Intel having worse process for socketed CPUs, and AMD having their best.

I expect clocks to stay stagnant for both Intel and AMD for a variety of boring reasons, with the real battle being IPC (which appears to favor Intel looking at the 10nm tests) and cores per socket (which should heavily favor AMD as long as Intel is monolithic vs chiplets). Chiplets and IF make for unavoidable latency penalties. Monolithic makes for unavoidable limits to practical core count limits with any usable yield whatsoever.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went AMD with the 2000-series CPUs. Today there's no reason at all to go with Intel, especially with the exposed vulnerabilities. AMD for my next build too.

Morgenstern

Oct 28, 2017
I just upgraded to a 3600x with 32GB RAM and a PCI-E 4.0 NVMe SSD. It is really nice coming from an overclocked i5-2500k. I was originally planning on going the Intel route with a 9700k, but the value to performance proposition of the Ryzen 3000 series and rumours of what the next series will bring is just much more substantial.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm building a new rig in a few months and have gaming performance as the highest prio. I feel like i don't have a choice but to go for the upcoming 10700K.

AMD is back and more relevant than they've been in a long while. But they're not back enough to have a $400 CPU that beats Intel in gaming performance and similar benchmarks. It's easy to forget this little fact then you listen to people talk about Amd vs Intel these days...

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I went AMD with the 2000-series CPUs. Today there's no reason at all to go with Intel, especially with the exposed vulnerabilities. AMD for my next build too.

They're both pretty different.

My 3900X is way too slow at gaming to feed my 144hz @ high details (I tune games to well lower than all max/ultra because framerate is my priority). Even my *very* old 5Ghz devil's canyon put up better numbers in extremely CPU bottlenecked titles like modded Fallout/Skyrim. And I got rid of that years ago.

My 9900KS even at 5.1Ghz is way too slow at pure compute to be ideal for any production work, and Intel's stingy PCIe lane offerings for Socket 115x have long been an irritation.

Pure 60hz gamers though, not much of a reason not to go with a 3600 non X. The value is supreme.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I'm building a new rig in a few months and have gaming performance as the highest prio. I feel like i don't have a choice but to go for the upcoming 10700K.

AMD is back and more relevant than they've been in a long while. But they're not back enough to have a $400 CPU that beats Intel in gaming performance and similar benchmarks. It's easy to forget this little fact then you listen to people talk about Amd vs Intel these days...

Lol on another forum I go to, someone is pairing a Threadripper build with a 2080ti for gaming. It's so dumb that it hurts, but oh well.

Production/rendering PCs should be AMD for the vast majority of scenarios currently. High refresh/top end gaming should be Intel in almost all cases, unless you are the type to insist on always 4k/ultra all the time even if it means sub-60fps. I went 4k and couldn't stomach the performance, even with 1080ti and then 2080ti. If I can't run it at 100+, I drop settings.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
But they're not back enough to have a $400 CPU that beats Intel in gaming performance and similar benchmarks.
CPU price is only part of it, even if you're planning on gaming exclusively. AMD also has more attractive motherboard options, and a wider range in the price gamut with older and cheaper boards being fully compatible.

That said, I'd honestly still recommend that if people can get through the next year on their current rigs they should. DDR5 and new motherboards/CPUs to support them will be likely hitting late 2020 or early 2021. AMD has been great at supporting sockets for multiple years, so getting an early AM5 board/processor could potentially set you up for 3 years of easy slot in CPU upgrades where as Zen 3/Ryzen 4000 will likely be the last major chipset (though I expect AMD will likely do tweaked 4X50 for each price range to keep them somewhat relevant past DDR5).

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I upgraded from a 3570k like OP has at the start of the year to a Intel 9700k. I was trying to wait for Ryzen 3 when it was rumoured for Q1 but when I found out it was Q3 I didn't want to wait. If I was buying now, AMD would be a no brainer.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using Intel right now, but my 3770k is beginning to grow old and I'll be upgrading soon.

Almost certainly going AMD this time around.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Really depends on wha the situation is like once this 8700k 6c/12t starts to feel a little long in the tooth. It's such a beast right now but let's see if new console cpus change that.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Won't uprgrade before 2021 so hard to answer. I went from a 2500K to a 8700K a couple years ago because of how much core speed matter for emulation, and I fully expect to still take that into consideration for my next upgrade.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
AMD CPU for sure. The price:performance is crazy good value right now, and it feels like Intel is either unable or unwilling to compete.

GPU will probably be nVidia, but I am kind of hoping AMD releases something in 2020 that's super competitive -- their current GPUs don't seem all that bad really, but a focus I wanna have with my next PC build is definitely ray-tracing capability and right now AMD just doesn't offer anything substantial for ray-tracing. Again, I do think we'll probably see that change at some point in 2020.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
8600k will be fine due to it's 4ghz+ clocks.

Hmm I don't believe this sadly, we already saw that even quad-core HT CPUs do better than just quad-cores so threads matter and AMD has caught up in terms of IPC too so a few couple hundred megahertz really don't cut is as a counter-balance I think.

You can move to 9900 without a huge cash outlay or Windows reinstall, as the 8th and 9th gen i5 and i7 have truly stupid resale prices. 8C/16T high IPC will be perfect for 9th gen. Solid 6C/12T should hold up fairly well also, I'm thinking 8700k/8086k/Ryzen 3600 will do mostly well. 4C/8T and 6C/6T may be borderline, and anything less will be often problematic.

Wait 9th gen Intel CPUs are compatible with 8th gen z370 boards? o.o Also as I said above, while Intel still has a very very small IPC lead I truly doubt that can save lower threaded Intel CPUs here outside of maybe stupid high framerates. But I'm not in a hurry to upgrade before next gen. I also want to wait and see what Nvidia Volta will be and when we really will see the impact of the PS5 and Series X on PC ports, the only thing that could make me reconsider is Cyberpunk underperforming on my system and with that I mean less than a stable 60fps on Medium-High 1080p.

Last year I was forced to make my decision early because a friend fried another friend's PC by accidentally connecting my Nintendo Switch over HDMI to his GPU and since we as a group of friends didn't really want to lose that PC as we use it each week for our meetups I offered my friend to pull my upgrade ahead and gave him my 3570k with the mainboard and RAM for very cheap.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I had to get a new CPU a few months ago and I went with AMD. Very happy with my decision so far, it's working like a charm.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
The most powerful option at time of upgrading

We'll see what both companies roll out in 2021/22