• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Intel or AMD?

• Intel

Votes: 235 22.2%
  • AMD

Votes: 823 77.8%

• Total voters

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
A lot has changed in recent times. AMD's Ryzen series is a smashing success, and finally poses a threat to Intel CPUs for the first time in a long while in terms of gaming.

With the Series X reveal, myself and many others probably plan to upgrade their PC sooner or later. My CPU is an i5 3570k on its last legs, and stuff like the Ryzen 3700x is especially tempting.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say since I don't plan to upgrade my CPU until 2021 or 2022. I assume I'll switch from Intel to AMD but things could change by the time I ugprade

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Ive had intel every single time for as long as I can remember but for no real reason. Just asked in various places what's the best processor I can get right now for XYZ £. So far it's been intel, if someone tells me AMD is my best option when I next upgrade I'll get it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My CPU exploded a month or two ago and I am on my first AMD in like a decade. Hard to bear the price factor.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Right now it's looking like AMD. As long as they're offering good enough ST performance and better MT at the $300-350 price point I'm going with them.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Don't see any point in updating the PC for a console which will come out in a year. Will probably wait for 1.5 years or so before updating mine (GPU excluding). Will use whatever will be better in price/perf and provide better future proofing at that moment. And yeah, with Intel essentially skipping 10nm for desktops and being unlikely to launch anything on 7nm before 2022, it's a high chance to be AMD this time around.

Oct 26, 2017
AMD for this upgrade. The 3700x is the best value for money for my use case (illustrations, 3D modelling, occasional rendering and video editing and gaming after hours)

Merex

May 31, 2019
Probably AMD processor, Nvidia graphics card. Next build for me is in 2022 most likely.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
With next gen consoles using a version of Zen2, I'm very curious if the PC ports of games take more advantage of AMD in that case

Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 4700X will likely be my next CPU, but I've been waiting so long I feel like I might as well just keep waiting until DDR5. So, maybe Ryzen 5700X, lol.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Intel has too many security vunerabilities at this point that even if they had a performance advantage, it wouldn't be worth having a hardware-based exploit for it.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Who the heck knows lol. I had an 8086k @ 5.1, "upgraded" to first a 3700X, then a 3900X, both of which were awesome but VERY noticable downgrades for gaming, so, I kept th 3900X for a second PC, and replaced the 8086k for a 9900KS.

By the time something meaningful comes through, it could be from either company. So it need a poll : whichever is fastest when I buy.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Probably Intel, but not for a while.
Icelake & Ryzen 3 is going to be a classic punch out, though i think by 2022, Intel will take the crown back with their next gen arch, right now they are coasting on Skylake refreshes & still being competitive.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Most likely a 4xxx CPU (if there is a decent bump in ST to compete with Intel's lineup). I dont expect it to beat Intel but being close to the same performance with a lower price point is good enough for me.

The GPU could go both ways actually - AMD's 6xxx lineup will have some kinda ray tracing which is neat but NV might finally have some decent cards since it'll be their first on 7nm. As long as NV isn't crazy expensive like this year and perf is increased ( by a significant amount), it might be worth it. Time will tell.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Whichever gets me the best price/performance for the games I'm interested in at the time, without overclocking, while factoring in the total cost of the motherboard and RAM. That's why I went with the i5 8400 on my last build. I'm intrigued to see if it can stay competitive when next gen games come around.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Currently using the 2700X, looking to upgrade to the 3900x in a month or so. Can't wait.

OP
OP
RoboitoAM

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Don't see any point in updating the PC for a console which will come out in a year. Will probably wait for 1.5 years or so before updating mine (GPU excluding). Will use whatever will be better in price/perf and provide better future proofing at that moment. And yeah, with Intel essentially skipping 10nm for desktops and being unlikely to launch anything on 7nm before 2022, it's a high chance to be AMD this time around.
Some of us are still on Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge or whatever. I was humbled by Red Dead Redemption 2, the first game to really show me my CPU limits.

But yes, AMD is doing crazy stuff

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
It's a strong consideration when I come up on the money to upgrade. Been using an i7-2600k since 2011. My GPU situation is much worse (GTX 770), but I really just need to build a new rig when I can.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Have a 7940X (14 cores) I don't think I'll upgrade for a while. I'll give it maybe 2 years and see how it goes then.
Probably gonna go with my bi-annual gpu refresh and that's about it.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I was planning on building a new pc this year with a 3700X, but an upgrade to a 5700 XT over my 390X I feel will be a good enough of a boost on my i5 4690K that I don't quite need to move over to an entirely new system yet. I'm aiming for a Ryzen 5xxx series equivalent of the 3700X (probably the 5700X), but what I'm hoping for is that the higher core counts we're seeing in Threadripper start coming down to the lower Ryzen tiers, so that the 5700X will be a twelve or sixteen core CPU.

Hey, I can dream! Looking forward to going back to AMD after years of Intel stagnation. I very fondly remember my Athlon chips from way back over the years.

Edit - of course waiting for the 5xxx series means DDR5 and probably AM5/equivalent, and those two together are another great reason to wait.

Last edited:

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I have this constant problem in which I'm waiting for a sale on a decent ryzen cpu but everytime it goes on sale they announce the next gen and the features are crazy. I'm on a i7-2700K, and while I do most of my gaming on my PS4, I still need my PC for the occasional FFXI/FFXIV and some Deus Ex HR. I'm pretty sure I'll go for AMD since the whole socket ordeal with AMD but I don't know if I want to go with a better Ryzen 7 and have it last longer or go with better value and get a decent Ryzen 5.

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
My next build isn't for another year at least so we'll see where things stand then but based on current market trends it looks like I'll be going AMD.

It'll be my first AMD CPU since the Athlon 64.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference?

AMD and Intel share a large common instruction set, but there exist things called "extensions" that are unique instructions only available on certain processors. This goes for both CPUs and GPUs. Often times, there will be equivalent instructions between the two kinds of processors that behave differently. An example would be the bit manipulation instruction sets for intel and AMD processors. Intel processors use the BMI instruction set. Likewise, AMD has the ABM instruction set which does similar bit manipulation.

An example of why this can be problematic is if there are instructions that one CPU has that another does not. An example would be during the transition when BMI was introduced, only certain CPUs had instructions like PDEP (parallel bit deposit) and PEXT (parallel bit extraction). These are useful instructions to speedily do certain actions like Morton Encoding, which can introduce what is known as locality of reference in memory, which, in laymens terms, means that things that reside close together in geometric orientation (like two objects in a game that are side by side) will reside next to each other in memory, so that they speed up access by cache. These instructions mean that the CPU has special circuitry inside to do the complex math needed to do generate a morton code. There are alternatives to doing a morton encoding routine in software if your CPU lacks the circuitry to do these parallel bit manipulations, but they either eat up more RAM (using a look up table) or they perform slower (using a multiply-no-carry operation of a number upon itself, then using more basic bit manipulation in a second cycle to place the bits manually).

Often when you see a logo before a game, like when you see an intel logo or AMD logo flash before a game, it'll mean they worked closely with the vendor to implement these special instructions in the game so that, if the hardware is there, it'll take advantage of them.

This applies to GPUs, as I said, as well. There are extensions for both DirectX and OpenGL that are unique to certain graphics card instruction sets per manufacturer. This is compounded because the official drivers for DirectX and OpenGL by their respective groups are usually slow to roll things like certain extensions into what is known as the "core" profile, a set of standard instructions that GPU manufacturers have to adhere to to be "directX" or "openGL" complient. Things like Vulkan and DirectX12 are meant to reduce this, by, in simple terms, making programmers able to programmatically "create" these extensions in software, instead of waiting for them to roll into the core profile. Philosophically, Nvidia and AMD operate differently regarding their drivers for OpenGL and DirectX. Nvidia's drivers -- the implementation of these extensions -- are closed source, and thus only Nvidia can change or add extensions to the driver. They usually are very quick in Windows, adding the latest and greatest extensions to their drivers quickly and professionally, but if they don't think a certain extension is worth adding, it'll languish. By contrast, AMD's drivers are open sourced. This means anyone can create their own drivers, and thus their own extensions, but AMD leaves that largely up to hobbyists. That means, in windows, they usually lag behind Nvidia drivers and extensions, but can be more quick to adopt new extensions, and especially over on the linux and OSX side of things, their drivers are usually much better because hobbyists will put in effort that nvidia will not.

Long story short, different manufacturers have different tricks in their hardware that certain games and applications take advantage of when they 'code to the metal.'

My answer to the question? Both. I need to have all sorts of hardware available to me when I make stuff to make sure it works everywhere.

Last edited:

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
I'm currently thinking about switching for the next Ryzen line-up next year (4700X or 4900X), unless Intel releases something with the same performance and value.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'll upgrade to Zen 4. I have a 9900K which will probably fine performance wise next-gen but I expect it to run hot with increased CPU utilization next-gen.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I game at 1440p so the so called Intel gaming advantage (tm) plays pretty miniscule role. And I guess giving Intel the finger is a reason enough not to buy them.

Currently running a 2600x and I guess I'll see how far my cheapo B350 motherboard goes when Ryzen 4XXX is released.

God bless AM4 socket.

That's another reason not to go Intel BTW. Platform longetivity.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm a bit annoyed that my gamble of last year failed. Due to some circumstances I had to upgrade my 3570k PC in August 2018 and was met with said gamble. Do I take the lower temporary performance of a 2nd Gen Ryzen and then if 3rd Gen Ryzen really hits it home I have an easy upgrade path or do I play it safe and go for a Intel 8600k with 6c/6t in the hopes that 6 threads will carry me through next gen?

Well as we all can see my gamble failed hard, 3rd Gen Ryzen came down with a bang and next gen consoles will have 8c/16t CPUs. So realistically I might have to upgrade way sooner again, I'm not even confident I can run Cyberpunk well at this point with my 8600k as even Battlefield V pegs all cores are almost 100%. And while I don't think the Ryzen 3700x is overpriced the thought of having to shell out around 500€ again anytime soon while I still have my GTX 1070 to replace too at some point hurts. Especially with next-gen consoles looming next year for exclusives.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go with whatever offers better value which is most likely going to be AMD.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Honestly I'm a bit annoyed that my gamble of last year failed. Due to some circumstances I had to upgrade my 3570k PC in August 2018 and was met with said gamble. Do I take the lower temporary performance of a 2nd Gen Ryzen and then if 3rd Gen Ryzen really hits it home I have an easy upgrade path or do I play it safe and go for a Intel 8600k with 6c/6t in the hopes that 6 threads will carry me through next gen?

Well as we all can see my gamble failed hard, 3rd Gen Ryzen came down with a bang and next gen consoles will have 8c/16t CPUs. So realistically I might have to upgrade way sooner again, I'm not even confident I can run Cyberpunk well at this point with my 8600k as even Battlefield V pegs all cores are almost 100%. And while I don't think the Ryzen 3700x is overpriced the thought of having to shell out around 500€ again anytime soon while I still have my GTX 1070 to replace too at some point hurts. Especially with next-gen consoles looming next year for exclusives.
8600k will be fine due to it's 4ghz+ clocks.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I have a 8700k currently so im in no rush to upgrade, but almost certainly it wil be AMD when the time comes.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
Currently running AMD 3700X. Very happy to have changed. It was probably not the best time to upgrade (Oct 2019) with the new consoles comming in a year, but I really needed to.

OP
OP
RoboitoAM

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Currently running AMD 3700X. Very happy to have changed. It was probably not the best time to upgrade (Oct 2019) with the new consoles comming in a year, but I really needed to.
Series X is based on the 3000 (Zen 2) series so you should be fine.

This is more for those of us needing to upgrade.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on whatever is the best value for my needs in about 2-3 years. I'm very brand agnostic so I'll go with anything.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I built a new PC a couple of months ago and Intel made absolutely no sense given the price and performance situation. I went for a Ryzen 5 3600.