• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is currently your main "platform" on PC?

• I use the Xbox app, but I still spend most of my time on Steam

Votes: 236 43.6%
  • I use the Xbox app more than Steam/EGS/GOG/Battle.Net/other

Votes: 76 14.0%
  • I use the Xbox app, but my main platform is EGS/GOG/Battle.Net/other

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • I don't use the Xbox app, and my main platform is Steam

Votes: 189 34.9%
  • I don't use the Xbox app, and my main platform is EGS/GOG/Battle.Net/other

Votes: 13 2.4%

• Total voters

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I did the $1 gamepass trial but otherwise haven't used it. Also haven't played anything on epic. Pretty much 100% steam.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Ever since it became an option I've only used it for a few games. I just don't like the app and don't like the way it installs games and had more than a couple issues with trying to move stuff to different drives. Not a fan of it and don't have it installed right now and won't before my sub ends next month. Won't be renewing. Was really hoping I'd enjoy it but it's left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I used both of the £1 for a month offers. Last year for The Outer Worlds, which was a disappointment, and again this year for Wasteland 3 and Ori 2, which were great.

I'll subscribe again when Microsoft publishes another game I really want, otherwise it wasn't a good experience. I had issues with downloads repeatedly restarting and wasting days of my subscription. Patches for Wasteland 3 were inexplicably late, arriving about a week later than the Steam version, even days later than the console versions.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
I gave Xbox Gamepass a chance, but I had pretty much only problems with it and what broke the camel's back was the encryption of game files.

I will give it another shot if it removes the encryption of game files.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Xbox app/Game Pass has absolutely no value to me, personally speaking. Steam has been absolutely killing it with a vast library of games coupled with regional-pricing.

I rather prefer EGS over other launchers apart from Steam.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't use it or resub to Gamepass since I got a new PC in January. I even have 3 free months still lying around but didn't claim them yet.

The app is trash. It literally can block gigabytes of space on your disc that you can't delete when uninstalls go wrong. I don't want to clutter my new M2 with shit like that.

There also isn't much reason for me to return to Gamepass at the moment. Tons of "free" games through Amazon Prime, Epic Games store and I often buy the humble bundle. There are also amazing deals on other bundle-pages like fanatical. I own all these games instead of just renting them and they won't simply disappear randomly.

I will resub when some big games that I want to play releases and then also catch up on some indies. But until Halo Infinite I don't see that happening. Before that, I will get another SSD for sure.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've subbed to gamepass for a single month when the Outer Worlds launched. Finished it along with Gears 5 and unsubbed. I wasn't really a fan of it. Besides the technical issues, with this subscription model I felt pressured to finish the games which reduced my enjoyment of both of them. Honestly, I'd rather pay more or wait for the games to release on Steam and have them sit on my backlog.
I feel you. As a Backlog God, Gamepass doesn't work because I am actively wasting money if I'm not using it regularly. Even if $10 a month isn't world-ending, it just just feel right. Gaming isn't like Netflix/Hulu where I can constantly get use by just snapping a window to the side while I do something else.

I will sub in short bursts for major MS releases that I really want to play day one, and that's it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It still just sucks. They at least now made it so you don't have to pull up the Windows Store app to manage downloads, but that's a low bar. It's still the Windows Store BS under that app. Their game updates are awful and often break games.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I have a Game Pass Ultimate subscription and I still buy and play allof my games on Steam, Blizzard, and even EGS. I've never downloaded a PC game using the Windows store.

I don't think that's going to change for a long, long while.

onyxxxxxxx

Banned
Nov 4, 2020
I had the gamepass for free for a while after CPU purchase. It was neat that i was able to play a few games i woudnt have otherwise. But all in all I'm not so hot about it. Some games had specific issues related to GamePass PC Version (Hellblade, Metro Exodus), you can't mod, hell you cant even access the game folder... That's not how I imagine a PC library. Everything is always on a monthly rent, for me not a smart choice. I only consider getting it when there are a few games included that I think that are one and done and i can play through them within a month or so.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Only use it for Gears of War 4 and when I beat it I'll uninstall 4 and jump straight to 5 on Steam. If I could play Gears 4 elsewhere I would have probably beat it ages ago.

Not a fan.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I stopped using game pass when they increased the price. They have a lot to fix before I would be willing to play another game through the windows store/game pass.

Oct 27, 2017
I love it, and have used it a lot more than Steam in the past month since I got my new PC. Playing Ori 2, Forza and most of all Deep Rock Galactic and Sea of Thieves for that price is ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mostly use it for Minecraft Dungeons, and Forza Horizon 4 but if they were on steam I probably wouldn't have a sub lol. I played Tetris Effect through it the other day though.

Aug 13, 2019
I'm primarily on steam. I only use Gamepass or the Epic Store when I'm playing with family that have games they want to play on those stores. (Borderlands, Halo, Drakes Hollow, etc.)

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I would say probably 75% Steam - 25% other which includes the Gamepass App.

I mostly use gamepass on console though.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I subscribed once (month trial for 1€) to try gamepass and played 2 games: Hellblade and Momodora (i also tried to play Gears of War but it run like complete dogshit for some reason). Haven't used it since.

The Xbox App is awful, and they really need to create a competent platform if they want me to invest on it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm using a LOT on these last few months.

Beating all the Halo campaigns (and Halo Wars!), now I'm playing Hollow Knight through Game Pass. Playing Tetris, Forza, Ori, Yakuza...

I guess my main gaming is being done using Game Pass. Good value! December will bring EA Play (and Jedi Fallen Order) and I'll use it even more.

Faderlite

Aug 2, 2018
Way more than I expected. It's now my go to place to play with friends. The absence of a 60 dollar price tag makes it way easier to get everyone into a game.

Mar 22, 2019
Between GamesPass on PC, EAPlay subscription, Ubisoft+ Subscription I don't really see any need for Steam purchases anymore (will play Cyberpunk on PS5 when theatre version is released.

I am all in on gaming subscriptions!

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Most days I'll just open Steam and see what I wanna play from the pile. But every so often I'll check out the XGP selection, and if they have an interesting game I haven't already played, I'll binge for a couple of days.

The chance of me actually buying something off the store is extremely low though (lower than any other PC storefront), due to the many issues people have listed ITT.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I've used free trials of game pass and I like it, but downloading anything from there is a nightmare for me, and just not enough on there that I'm interested in to warrant paying for a subscription. I'll just stick to steam.