• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is currently your main "platform" on PC?

• I use the Xbox app, but I still spend most of my time on Steam

Votes: 236 43.6%
  • I use the Xbox app more than Steam/EGS/GOG/Battle.Net/other

Votes: 76 14.0%
  • I use the Xbox app, but my main platform is EGS/GOG/Battle.Net/other

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • I don't use the Xbox app, and my main platform is Steam

Votes: 189 34.9%
  • I don't use the Xbox app, and my main platform is EGS/GOG/Battle.Net/other

Votes: 13 2.4%

• Total voters

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I use gamepass on the odd month via cheap offers, but won't use much more since there are constant issues and the limitations of these apps not being interoperable with others is just not good for how I want to play.

If they do get gamepass and xcloud thrown into Steam at some point, even with a limited library I'd be more likely to sub, knowing games will behave in a way I expect.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
I have the Xbox app installed but I don't use it for anything. I have +950 games on Steam so no reason to switch at this point.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasted four months of game pass ultimate because I don't want to deal with that trash software ever again. I'll come back when they integrate it with Steam.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I have used Game Pass once, and that was for The Outer Worlds. Otherwise, it's been 99.99% Steam, and 0.01% EG. I'll likely not bother with Game Pass again either until they fix the numerous issues it has on PC.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I use it quite a bit, currently have Clarion, Deep Rock Galactic, Tetris Effect Connected, Grounded, and Tell Me Why installed, I check what's available all the time and download and try things often.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How is it the game pass pc games don't have proper exe files?
It drives me crazy.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Steam is where I buy and play my games usually, but I'm also subscribed to Xbox Gamepass for even more to play.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
The Xbox app is the worst storefront I've experienced on PC so I avoid it for anything other than Game Pass. I had a month or two of GP here and there to play the odd game because it was cheaper to spend ÂŁ3.99 on Game Pass than the actual game which I knew I was going to play for an hour and get bored of. Now it's gone up to ÂŁ7.99 I'm at the point where I'd rather just buy the games in the first place to make sure the dev gets the lions share of what I'm paying. Definitely not a subscription I'd keep running for anything over a month every now and then, my backlog is big enough as it is, especially with the EGS free games which I don't even need to pay a sub for.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get to spend enough time on my PC, but when I do my time is pretty evenly split between game pass stuff/stuff I bought on steam/Overwatch

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I tried it for a month and unsubscribed after. Something about not actually owning the games puts a bad taste in my mouth and I never actually got to playing any of the games that I downloaded for longer than 10 mins. I know it's probably a strange reason, but it is what it is.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I only use the Xbox app when a specific game comes around I want to play. Otherwise, I'd never just browse it for games. It's definitely worse than my experience on Steam or EGS (Which seem to be my most common platforms these days).

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the polls could be better worded.
I think PC GP main competitor are EGS free games tbh
I tried to be very specific about how much time you spend on these platforms exactly because they all support different business models. I don't necessarily agree that free games compete with Game Pass because you never know what games will be free, while you do know first and second party games will always be on GP, plus EA Play games and third-party deals. You can already see a certain profile of players who can get GP. I am a Game Pass subscriber but I don't get even half of free games on EGS or other platforms.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use the Xbox app, last time I downloaded something was ages ago with the windows store.

Only used it for both Forza Horizons and Forza 7.

I also don't use Gamepass, I like to buy my games and play when I want, rentals are not for me.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I have free game pass for two more years, so I'm going to use the Windows Store/Xbox app no matter how garbage it is (and believe me, it's quite garbage). But I'm not going to use it for anything else if I don't have to. I'm sure not going to buy games from there unless given absolutely no choice. One my Game Pass runs out, I doubt I'm going to pay for it unless they drastically overhaul their backend or put GP on other stores.

However, Steam remains my main platform. GoG, U-Play, and Origin also get use, but to a much lesser extent.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I basically don't use it, I signed up for the 3 years of Game Pass just for the exclusives so I don't have to buy them but I own nearly all the games I want to play that are currently on Game Pass (the exception being Flight Simulator and the Age of Empire DE's).

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Almost no time. I subbed to Gamepass but was never able to install anything because for some reason it did not think I had hard drives. Nothing I did fixed this, so I was never able to download anything and thus unsubbed.

I have 6 drives in my PC, all with ample space.

Ă„lg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Gamepass has very few games that I care about unfortunately. So far I've used it for Ori, Forza Horizon 4, and the MCC, although I just cancelled my subscription after they raised the price.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I buy a month of Game Pass here and there, but end up barely using it. I often don't even finish the games that I subscribed for.
It just lacks the convenience of Steam, and there's always some kind of problem with the games on that platform, which would be easily fixed in any other version of the game.
Now that they've doubled the price, I'm far less likely to return.

Almost no time. I subbed to Gamepass but was never able to install anything because for some reason it did not think I had hard drives. Nothing I did fixed this, so I was never able to download anything and thus unsubbed.
I have 6 drives in my PC, all with ample space.
Are you using something like Windows Storage Spaces to pool the drives together? I think the drives need to be formatted as NTFS.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Are you using something like Windows Storage Spaces to pool the drives together? I think the drives need to be formatted as NTFS.
I am not. My drives are NTFS.

I've tried every fix and nothing worked, so I cut my losses. Windows Store is just nigh-unusable on my PC so I've stopped trying to make it work.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I used the Xbox app with gamepass earlier in the year but stopped using it once my three month free sub was done

I have over 2k games on steam so it's my main platform overall

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I tried the xbox app for a motnh when the obsidian RPG came out (can't remember the name). I liked the game but the app has some problems with my PC. It gave me 2-3 blue screens and a lot of CTD, specially when the game session was bigger than 30 mins. Due to the inability to mess with the files of the game is jsut didn't even bother to try and see what the problem was/is and jsut gave up on the service.

Make no mistake it has great value but until I buy a new desktop i ain't trying it again.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely use Steam the most out of every PC launcher. I've been using Epic a lot as well, since they have exclusives and occasional coupons. GOG gets a good amount of use from me too, though usually depending on if I recently bought something on there.

I only really use Xbox on PC when I'm subscribed to Game Pass, and that only happens when something specific I wanted to play is out. I'll sub for a month or so, play that particular game to completion, give a few others that look interesting a shot, then cancel before the month is up. I'm usually only subscribed for 3 or 4 months out of the year, and not consecutively either. I know it's really cheap to stay subbed all year, but with my backlog as deep as it is, paying for something I use maybe 20% of my time playing games on PC seems like a waste of money. Still a great value though.

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
I paid for it a couple of times when it was in beta/when I could get the ÂŁ1 month, but other than that I haven't used it, and I barely used it even when I paid for it. Nothing to do with the games on it, but the platform itself was (and, from the looks of it still is) just poor quality. The download speeds and issue with uninstalling games just put me off using it.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Far more time, I've been hooked on Gears 5's multiplayer, and I've been playing the MCC a lot too

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I use MS Store for couple of things.

1. Test drive games before buying on Steam. See MCC, Wasteland 3 (waiting for patches), etc...
2. Exclusives such as Forza that aren't on Steam.

I am considering getting Yakuza 7 digitally from MS since that gets one both Xbox and Windows Store versions, but probably will go Steam route at the end.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I use the Xbox app but spend most of my time with Steam.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Honestly, I don't have a "main plattform". It's all about the game I'm gonna play. Now that Apex Legends is on Steam, I'm barely using Origin though. Answering the question, I am using the Xbox app more because of gamepass and the games I'm playing there, but I still use a lot the other launchers

Denis Colovic

Nov 2, 2020
Germany
Mainly play Game Pass games on pc. I try to keep most of my games on gog and EGS. I only buy stuff on steam if its not on gog. But sometimes I just wait for the gog release.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't have a "main plattform". It's all about the game I'm gonna play. Now that Apex Legends is on Steam, I'm barely using Origin though. Answering the question, I am using the Xbox app more because of gamepass and the games I'm playing there, but I still use a lot the other launchers
I do wonder how many people will start using the new EA app replacing Origin coming from Game Pass next month.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
It drives me round the bend at times and has led to a full reinstallation of Windows at least once, but I'm spending more of my time on PC playing "Xbox" games than Steam because of the amount of content offered through Games Pass.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent a lot of time with Minecraft and Sea of Thieves with little to no issues. I would prefer steam of course but I don't feel like rebuying sea of thieves and minecraft is not available there. I don't sub to gamepass constantly but if there is something new I want to try I'll use it. It' s a great deal but has an overwhelming amount of games and my backlog is already pretty full. I know my situation may be unique but I've never had any issues with the store and playing games on it though I know many have.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I use whatever platform is needed for the game I am playing. I am on Destiny and AC Valhalla right now, so I am switching between Steam and Ubisoft Connect. Before this I was playing Control so I was using EGS. I get annoyed at everything being spread out and having to jump back and forth between different accounts and different launchers (which is why I am rooting for Apple in the case against Epic, I don't want consoles to become like PCs with multiple storefronts/launchers)

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Not as much as i thought i would. But there hasn't been very many games released lately. Halo MCC would have been a big title, but i prefer to own that game on Steam. Once next gen Halo comes out and more big releases i will be making more use of this service.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Considerably more.

I still use steam for most of my purchasing, but gamepass has made it so in between big releases, I'm almost always on microsoft's platform...and it's strange. it's annoying that there's no way to report bugs or issues, that I still have to use steam forums in order to find out if something is broken or to see if there are dev updates.

But yeah, it's my number 2 gamewise on pc. And it'll probably stay like that.

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
At this point i have almost 5 launcher on my pc, but i buy only on steam, we used a lot the gamepass and xbox app during the first lockdown with my friends for sot, but now most of us got sot on steam cause steam is a better platform and xbox app was a pain in the ass

No one of us use EGS, some of us don't even have an account, a lot of use (unfortunatley) uplay via steam for rainbow 6, 1 or 2 play Mw on battlenet, origin we all have an account but no one use it (this even before EA come back on steam)

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
epic is my favourite platform rn but I use whatever the most that has the game I want to play rn. EGS had a lot of good sales this year so that's why I've been using it a lot but rn the platform I use the most is ubisoft connect because they were selling AC Valhalla for 48€ if you used the coin discount

I still wish I could consolidate all the games into a single launcher.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Almost never. Most of my time goes to BNet and EGS currently, then Steam and GOG.

Dec 15, 2017
I use it quite a lot, between games I bought and subscribing to pc gamepass here and there
It's getting better over time so that helps. I wish FH4 was released on steam though.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The Xbox app is trash, it's a necessary evil to access my Gamepass games.

It needs a lot of improvement on the UI side.

It's a shame, because Gamepass is brilliant.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
On PC I'm probably 50% game pass 30% epic games 10% steam 10% bnet right now

I'm one of the rare people that hasn't had that many problems w/ the xbox app 🤷‍♂️

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
After Wastelands 3 didn't find anything interest to play. Last months were not really good. So steam, battle.net and ac Valhalla on ubisoft connect is where I'm speding my time.

Looking forward for Dragon Quest in December.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I bought Gears 5 and otherwise try to stay away from it. It feels basic at best and broken at times.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
When it was the cheaper price on PC I used it to play the Ori sequel and A Plague Tale: Innocence. I have over 2,500 Steam games, with a huge chunk I havn't played so Gamepass is no longer worth it for me, especially at the higher price. I could stomach a $5 rental though.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I don't have a sizeable Steam or EGS library (even with the free stuff) so Xbox app beats all. I very much predict I'll only use Steam or EGS for yesteryear AAAs