• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
LVQMQ6e.png

We cam long way since infamous quote "93-95% of PC players are pirates".

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Damn, im assuming MTX are included in this? Because i can see siege being what pushed it over the edge to number 1, along with division 2 of course.

Unless im forgetting a game released by Ubisoft this year.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Anno 1800 was released early in the Q while I don't believe there were any major releases on consoles.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I wonder if the ANNO 1800 release had anything to do with it since it only released on PC? That's the only Ubi game I've gotten this year. Preordered it so I could get a Steam copy

May 25, 2019
London
Held up against Activision and EA, Ubi Soft looks like darlings

Doesn't hurt that I really enjoyed AC Odyssey and that The Division 2 was stuffed with content

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EGS saves PC gaming.

lol. This isn't what you should take from this.

Yves is on record saying that the decision to move their games to EGS was because they know the storefront is extremely unpopular and it drives customers directly to uPlay instead (where they get 100%).

Jun 14, 2019
lol. This isn't what you should take from this.

Yves is on record saying that the decision to move their games to EGS was because they know the storefront is extremely unpopular and it drives customers directly to uPlay instead (where they get 100%).

yup the egs stuff in a way was a perfect storm for ubisoft to do that move just like ea did with their origin store, ubisoft is in a place now where they can launch games on egs because they know they will get minuscule sales their, where as if they did steam / uplay like prior most of it sells on steam,

as of now its egs/uplay, they get a bulk of cash from epic (literally daylight robbing epic frankly haha ) and then 100%money due to most sales happening on uplay now.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The Division was released at the end of March, still in Q1.
The chart is about Q1 of this fiscal year, so Q1 2019 (January - March 2019)

Click the link, The Division 2 is indeed included in the fiscal report.
I believe Q1 of the fiscal year is April-June.
Today, Ubisoft released its sales figures for the first quarter of fiscal 2019-20, i.e. the three months ended June 30, 2019.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Not surprising. This is why it is so smart of them to do UPlay+. Only Microsoft has a better reason for subscription gaming.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone hurried to preorder Anno 1800 to get Steam version instead of Epic version, so this is thx to epic.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I only care about whatever Rabbids/Rayman content comes out of Ubisoft these days, plus whatever Davide Soliani's team is working on, assuming it's not a Mario + Rabbids followup.

Starlink was a good time, though I doubt that's seen all the support it's going to at this point.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
PCGamesN

Ubisoft has reported financials for its first quarter of the fiscal year, and it looks like the publisher's increased focus on "the PC opportunity" is paying off. Ubisoft has beat its targets for the quarter, and its biggest platform for the period was PC, a segment which expanded year-over-year to overtake the consoles in Ubisoft's portfolio.

Continued performance from Rainbow Six Siege and Assassin's Creed Odyssey are noted as the biggest factors in beating the quarterly target. The first quarter of the financial year for Ubisoft runs from April through June, during which Ubisoft's only major new release was Anno 1800 – a PC exclusive – and in a post-report conference call (noted by Dom on Twitter), the company attributes PC growth to both Anno and continued performance from other games.

Ubisoft saw 34% of its net bookings on PC for the quarter, up 10% from the platform's share a year ago. That puts PlayStation 4 in second place at 31%, followed by Xbox One at 18%, mobile at 7%, Switch at 5%, and 'others' at 5%.

The Ubisoft store seems to be working out great for them. A whooping 93% of bookings is from digital sales. But new player additions have stagnated. It's recurrent spending from existent players that's driving revenue growth.

So even with the EGS controversies and bitcoin GPU mining price inflation this only shows PC gaming is far from dead and continues to grow. It will be interesting to see how streaming and subscription services like Stadia and GamePass effect the PC gaming market.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
But that cannot be. PC players are nothing but filthy pirates and so always-online DRM is needed. Or at least that's what I remember them saying when AC2 came out.

How times have changed. I wonder if they'll stop using Denuvo at any point.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
With their own store where they don't have to pay a 30% cut, that makes sense
Though net bookings =/= profits

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, EGS is one of the biggest reasons for this. They lured Ubisoft over to their store, so now with how deep the discounts get for Uplay keys, most people are buying Ubisoft's games on Uplay.

Also, I'd like to see population comparisons for Rainbow 6 Siege on PC vs console. Someone on Reddit tried to convince me it's more popular on PS4.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I mean, EGS is one of the biggest reasons for this. They lured Ubisoft over to their store, so now with how deep the discounts get for Uplay keys, most people are buying Ubisoft's games on Uplay.

Also, I'd like to see population comparisons for Rainbow 6 Siege on PC vs console. Someone on Reddit tried to convince me it's more popular on PS4.

It's a sneaky play on Ubisofts part. The terrible public image of the EGS causes people to boycott games. So some people will buy those Ubisoft 'EGS exclusives' on the Ubisoft store instead.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, them rinsing Epic for every penny is probably a contributing factor, especially considering Anno's pre-orders were bolstered by the announcement that it would be removed on Steam on launch day. With that said, I do find it interesting that the games highlighted were Rainbow 6 Seige and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, two games which pre-dates the EGS deal. This does pose questions on the continued commercial success of The Division 2, given that its Ubisoft most recently launched service game.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
They better give the next gen sequel the mother of all budgets and heavily invest in better online hit detection and severs.

GaaS games tend not to get sequels. It's more profitable to release updates and MTX to an existing game than create a new one. At least until the playable numbers get too small. Then maybe they'll think of a sequel. But that could be years from now.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
GaaS games tend not to get sequels. It's more profitable to release updates and MTX to an existing game than create a new one. At least until the playable numbers get too small. Then maybe they'll think of a sequel. But that could be years from now.
There will be a sequel eventually. It will be Re released on ps5 but I'd guess 4/5 years from now we'll have a siege 2.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
"Hey, we're about to remove Anno from Steam, better get it at full price while it's there!" *wink* *wink* "Did you get it yet? It's almost gone, just a few days left!"

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
LMFAO, my god, ubi has come a long way since those days where we were al filthy pirates. i for one, buy all their games day 1, so much versatility and choice in their catalog.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Yo, we came along way from sailing.
PC gaming has "around a 93-95% piracy rate" claims Ubisoft CEO

I wonder what the sales are like per title, with things like copies sold, DLC and microtransactions?

That statement was always so dumb. Denuvo had crackers on the ropes for a long while (even today for certain games), and those games that couldn't be pirated didn't magically gain millions of extra sales because of it. In fact stuff like The Witcher 3, which was DRM free, dominated sales for single-player games during that time. It goes to show how little the corporate heads understand about the industry, literally anybody with half a brain could have told you it was a service problem.