• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
By the time the extra VRAM would be useful the card itself would be on its knees from lack of rendering power.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Neither, I'm waiting the probable 9 - 12 months for the inevitable 3080Ti.

Where would the 3080Ti slot?
Consider the chip is already maxed out in the 3090 and the gap between the 3090 and 3080 isnt big enough to fit a whole other GPU inbetween.
So what the 3080Ti would be a cheaper 3090.....or a rebadged 3090?....What exactly are you expecting from the 3080Ti?
New chip thats better than the 3080 and 90 so basically a whole new tier above them both....but called xx80?

nath999

May 7, 2018
I planned to get a 3080 but the stock shortage and issues reported makes me just want to wait. I will get by with my ps5 and Series X for now and re-evaluate in 2021 to see if there is a better card.

Just makes sense to wait until Big Navi is out before deciding anything.

Nov 8, 2017
Where would the 3080Ti slot?
Consider the chip is already maxed out in the 3090 and the gap between the 3090 and 3080 isnt big enough to fit a whole other GPU inbetween.
So what the 3080Ti would be a cheaper 3090.....or a rebadged 3090?....What exactly are you expecting from the 3080Ti?
New chip thats better than the 3080 and 90 so basically a whole new tier above them both....but called xx80?

3090 with 12gb vram, basically.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not willingly waiting.... I want to buy but everyone knows the stock situation

If I can get my hand on a 20 GB version because it's more available, I probably will

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I usually upgrade every second generation, so with a 2070 Super atm I will wait for 40XX or 30XX Super if 30XX will be long-lived. Of course Navi might offer an intersting option as well but bought a $1000 Gsync screen so will probably stick with Nvidia for a while.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
If anything I'm waiting until this shit is available on shelves with no ridiculous scam markups. Then we'll see where prices have settled and what makes the most sense.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really understand why you'd want the 20GB version unless you were editing 4K video or something. Has no gaming applications.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
3090 with 12gb vram, basically.

Well AMD released a 3600, 3600X, 3700X and 3800X and they seemingly all did well.

So a half VRAM 3090 named 3080Ti will probably sell a ton.

Hell at this point I think people are so stupid Nvidia might as well just rebadge the RTX 3080 20GB edition as the 3080Ti and people will sell their 3080s to get that extra 10GB of VRAM they will barely use.

VFX/CGI artists are going to eat those 20GB editions up.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Going to get killed by Darktalon but is 10GB enough at 1440p for at least 3 years? In terms of perf I don't doubt that, but being bottlenecked by VRAM

I managed to grab a 3080 that's coming tomorrow but I also have 6 months to return it for my money back, so I'm still interested in what AMD have or (wasting?) spending more money on a 20gb sku

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I play games, so 10GB is enough. It is weird to be upgrading from a 1080ti with 11GB of VRAM, even though the new VRAM is faster, but the 1080ti was a wonderful aberration the like of which we will never see again.

I've been given hope that I might actually get my 3080 before the end of November, and if I do, it's going in my tower straight away.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've decided to just wait for the next iteration, and just rely on the PS5 for now for maxing out games.

My 1080 is still chugging along quite well anyways.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha this should be in the OP so people do understand.
I mean it depends on how long you're planning on sitting on the card.
If you're buying it till about 2025 or so then sure, 20GB version will eventually show some performance advantage in higher resolutions with RT. It's debatable though of how much use this advantage will be as historically these differences tend to show themselves in very low framerates anyway (if 20GB version will be 35 fps while 10GB will show 30 will this even matter to you?)
If you're planning on upgrading to some 4080 two year from now then don't waste your money on 20GB version, period.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I'm on a 970 atm and want to upgrade to finally be able to play half life Alyx. I was thinking about the 2070s as that is within my budget, but am unsure about the value in the longish term. I've been out of the pc gaming loop for a while so I'm not sure if I should be waiting for something else.

vhyn

Nov 13, 2017
What are you going to use that 20GB for? It'll be coming in at a higher price, it really doesn't seem worth it considering how much VRAM games need.
You can do other stuff with your GPU besides gaming.

Considering it's impossible to buy a 3080 in Europe right now I might aswell wait for the 20gb version

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Running AC Syndicate at 1440p at close to ultra settings is already choking the 8gigs on my GTX 1080 and thus giving me inconsistent framerates. 10 is not enough.
www.resetera.com

MSI Afterburner can now display per process VRAM!

Nov 17th 2020: Per Process VRAM Monitoring now is supported internally, and works in all games. Install MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 4 Build 15910 from -MSIAfterburnerSetup463Beta4Build15910.rar']over here. Enter the MSI Afterburner settings/properties menu Click the monitoring tab (should be...

I find it very hard to believe that AC Syndicate at 1440p is eating 8GB of VRAM, please test again following the instructions in the link

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it depends on how long you're planning on sitting on the card.
If you're buying it till about 2025 or so then sure, 20GB version will eventually show some performance advantage in higher resolutions with RT. It's debatable though of how much use this advantage will be as historically these differences tend to show themselves in very low framerates anyway (if 20GB version will be 35 fps while 10GB will show 30 will this even matter to you?)
If you're planning on upgrading to some 4080 two year from now then don't waste your money on 20GB version, period.
Lots of self contradictions in your post. Most people don't jump to every new card. They usually skip 1-2 generations of cards. Jensen even addressed this in 3080 reveal event.

If 3080 is so awesome, why would anyone upgrade to 4080 in just two years time? Maybe you actually don't believe what you are saying and you don't believe in longevity of that GPU since you are already discussing 4080?

We don't even know how 10GB version will perform with real next gen games as of yet. I honestly don't know how people who lived through 20-30 years of PC hardware evolution can now came out and say "Yuuuup, 10GB is enough, this is where we draw the line, there won't be need for any more memory ever!" I get Bill Gates 640K ram flashbacks when people make such claims.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Seeing that I can't even grab a normal 3080 not sure if a 20 GB one will be available for awhile.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can do other stuff with your GPU besides gaming.

Considering it's impossible to buy a 3080 in Europe right now I might aswell wait for the 20gb version

Exactly why I was asking the question, it doesn't seem worth it for just gaming, but for sure if you're doing other things.

Running AC Syndicate at 1440p at close to ultra settings is already choking the 8gigs on my GTX 1080 and thus giving me inconsistent framerates. 10 is not enough.

Are you running 4x MSAA there? That would be your choke, trying to supersample from effectively 10k. Syndicate at 1440p was getting around 50-60fps at Ultra on my 980ti even and not very inconsistent.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Going to get killed by Darktalon but is 10GB enough at 1440p for at least 3 years? In terms of perf I don't doubt that, but being bottlenecked by VRAM

I managed to grab a 3080 that's coming tomorrow but I also have 6 months to return it for my money back, so I'm still interested in what AMD have or (wasting?) spending more money on a 20gb sku
You're more likely to hit a wall in compute before RAM. And TBH, even if we do start hitting the point that RAM becomes an issue, that'll just mean you turn textures down from ludicrous to still-better-than-consoles levels
Wouldn't the extra VRAM just be useful for non-gaming purposes??
Yeah, and for that, unless it's way close to the 3090 in price than the 3080, I don't see how it doesn't basically obsolete the former. At a bit less than 4/5 of the RAM, and only marginally less compute, it'd make way more sense to just get 2 of them than to get a 3090 (for ML and 3d rendering applications, it doesn't matter if they don't have SLI. IIRC you can even use a hetergenous arrangement of cards!)

Jan 21, 2019
www.resetera.com

MSI Afterburner can now display per process VRAM!

Nov 17th 2020: Per Process VRAM Monitoring now is supported internally, and works in all games. Install MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 4 Build 15910 from -MSIAfterburnerSetup463Beta4Build15910.rar']over here. Enter the MSI Afterburner settings/properties menu Click the monitoring tab (should be...

I find it very hard to believe that AC Syndicate at 1440p is eating 8GB of VRAM, please test again following the instructions in the link

I did, thanks for this. Seems like my limiting factor was bandwidth not amount. The game sits around 4 gigs or so.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
With how much power draw the 3080 pulls, and my current push to go SFF with my builds, I'm starting to wonder if I should just go PS5/XSX until there is a die shrink to get us back to 200Wish instead of these insane 300+ numbers.

As VRAM goes, I think Nvidia will drop the news the moment the Big Navi benchmarks start showing up from reviews, so they can steal back the media cycle. Classic Nvidia strats.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
With how stock and availability is going, I'd rather wait for the fresh-up (Ti, Super or whatever its called). And with the Radeon tease about close level of performance, maybe its wiser to wait a bit.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
You're more likely to hit a wall in compute before RAM. And TBH, even if we do start hitting the point that RAM becomes an issue, that'll just mean you turn textures down from ludicrous to still-better-than-consoles levels
Thanks, yes exactly it's a pretty simple fix. Still worth looking at AMD though; if we're talking long long term I think that the 16GB Big Navi competitor will fare very well.
I did, thanks for this. Seems like my limiting factor was bandwidth not amount. The game sits around 4 gigs or so.
There we go! Was it because of MSAA? Imo MSAA is just old and sucks now, it's good for when you have an extremely capable card (for instance using 8x msaa at 1440p on Nier Automata with a 2080) otherwise it's just a resource hog.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
20GB. i don't believe 10GB is enough. we've seen games use 9GB already and no i don't mean ASK for it...it actually uses/needs it. that's only gonna rise over the next couple years.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Neither, I'm waiting the probable 9 - 12 months for the inevitable 3080Ti.
That was my theory at first, but seeing how there's barely a difference between the 3080 and 90 performance wise, there just doesn't seem to be that much room between the two to actually fit a different sku in that matters.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Rumor is the 20gig model is coming December. My plan right now since I wasn't able to get a 3080 is to focus on getting a 3070 while keeping a passive watch is a 3080 does suddenly become available. Makes sense especially since I play at 1440p and 3070 is perfect for that where the 3080 is more for 4k.

This still makes no sense even if it's true. By the time games actually come remotely close to utilizing that at a more realistic 4K resolution, we will likely already be two years into Hopper, if not beyond.

That was my theory at first, but seeing how there's barely a difference between the 3080 and 90 performance wise, there just doesn't seem to be that much room between the two to actually fit a different sku in that matters.

Exactly. Nvidia aren't going to make a cheaper card within the same series that rivals, or even outperforms its most expensive "flagship", so a 3080 Ti makes zero sense. Oh what, are they going to make a card that is a 5% improvement over the base 3080 with a $300 markup and call it a day? Doubtful. The only thing I can see them realistically doing is a 3080 refresh where they use 7nm, which should help give a slightly higher boost clock, or at the very least less of a power draw.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can't afford the 3080. Alongside that my 1070 hasn't still found a game it can't run.
I'll probably wait for the 4000 series and buy the 4060. If the price continues to icnrease who knows if i'll be even able to afford a 4060

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
By default I'm basically waiting for the rumored 20g version. Since, you know, it's basically impossible to get one. Let alone one not marked up to hell.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
The VRAM debate is crystal-ball tier until we see what next-gen games are actually like. This is like deciding your VRAM back in 2013 based on late Xbox 360 ports. People who bought high-end 2GB cards around the PS4 launch kind of got fucked.

PS4 had "8GB" of RAM and the sweet spot on PC ended up being 4GB (with 6GB for maxed out settings). PS5 has "16GB" so if the trend continues 8GB will be a good baseline and 12GB will be good for maxing stuff out. I guess this is BS speculation on my part, but I just can't see games staying where they are over the next few years.

Low VRAM cards will probably win out in price-performance.