• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
And good luck getting half the damn things to run properly nowadays. There's always some little niggle that you have to put up with or sort out.

That's not really my experience with most things. I guess it depends how far back you go. If you wanna play tons of last gen games but at current gen resolutions then you'll largely be fine. If you're going back to like early 2000s PC stuff then maybe, yeah.

At a certain point I'd stick with GOG for older games. They've always been relatively painless with getting them to work on a newer machine in my experience due to updates/patches that come with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
tumblr_inline_pbbd6fURZ01r2vvqk_540.gif

My Name is John Marston

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Planet Zoo just came out.

Escape From Tarkov is one of the best and the most in-depth shooters out there.

Those are my main PC exclusives at the moment.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I would think not many console-only gamers have played the Bioware classics on the XBOX like Kotor and Jade Empire (also Obsidian's Kotor 2) so that's something you could start off with if it interests you.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Try one of the total war games. I would recommend shogun or warhammer as a starting point.

Isometric rpg's are best on pc. Divinity, tyranny, pillars of eternity. I would really recommend expeditions :conquistador and expeditions:vikings.

You have access to a ginormous back catalogue, they're are tons of classics on GOG. I completed fallout 1 & 2 recently (for the first time). Graphics and interface is a bit dated but they are still absolutely classic games.

If you like football you should give football manager a go, it is crack for soccer fans.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Browse through some PC oriented youtube channels, you will find a lot of interesting games you've never heard of.
For example this guy plays new game almost daily:

This guy plays different games, but he also does compilation videos about what is coming up in future:

He has videos like that from previous years, so check older entries to check games has that already released. Of course there are compilation than 'simulation games'

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
As the gap between console has lessened significantly, and developers understandably bring their games to console, I feel like I've already played most of what's available. I'm no graphics hound, and revisiting games I already own with better visuals doesn't interest me particularly, so ...what should I be playing? What are the gaming experiences that only a PC can offer?

For the cost, hardware wise the consoles still win. Initially at least. But aside from the various PC specific games that you may, or may not even care about, the biggest draw is the ability to tailor your own experience with the hardware at hand. You can either go for graphics or performance over the consoles, and even both with enough of an investment, or simply as each console generation marches on, and better PC parts become available.

Personally, there are a very select few PC exclusives that I end up playing annually anymore, and I think most of them have ended up on the consoles eventually anyway. I mainly use my PC for multiplat titles, which have always had at least parity with the consoles in graphics, but ran at twice the frame rate. Frame rate matters a lot, and it's not something you can really translate through a description. Loading times are a thing too. They might be much less of an issue next gen, with the new drives, but for now they still kind of matter. Some games have frequent, and very long loading times on the consoles, yet on PC the loading can be less than five seconds, compared to thirty or more.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Every new PC bulid is incomplete without installing and playing through the OG Deus Ex

It's tradition, and still a great game

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
Like everyone has been saying, being able to fully customize the game's settings to your liking is something that needs to be experienced to fully understand. Also, if you budget allows for a powerful pc with high refresh rate and possible G-Sync, it will be night and day my friend.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
By pretty much all accounts it's a better game.
During beta, it was really buggy, with various crashes and game-breaking situations, but the core concept was solid. Hopefully they have ironed out most problems and will continue to do so with updates and patches.

This one also has a sandbox mode, that lets you go as creative as you want, it's increadibly customizable, with a great build tool, allowing you to actually build many types of enclosures and facilites for your animals, staff and guesses.
The game launched, should i buy it? (read that as in, it doesn't seem to have any new severe problems at launch)

Jan 20, 2019
This thread is already a goldmine of ideas. As someone who recently got a PC, I'll be reading this more thoroughly when I have a moment! Thanks, OP and repliers.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I've been a console gamer my whole life, but I'm picking up a fairly capable PC in the next week or so, and initially I thought of it as this whole new world of opportunity. But then I got to thinking... what am I actually hoping to play? As the gap between console has lessened significantly, and developers understandably bring their games to console, I feel like I've already played most of what's available. I'm no graphics hound, and revisiting games I already own with better visuals doesn't interest me particularly, so ...what should I be playing? What are the gaming experiences that only a PC can offer?

Because otherwise this is going to be an expensive Disco Elysium machine.

I went through this experience when I picked up my first gaming PC and while your mileage may vary you may very well had just picked up an expensive Disco machine :P

For me, at first I was excited and I started loading games to see how much more beautiful and smooth they were than the console counterparts I was used to. Loaded up Skyrim and launched it on the highest settings running at 60fps was amazed at how much better and smoother it looked and then after about 15 minutes of virtual sightseeing I realized I wasn't actually getting anything extra out of this and shut it off. Rinse and repeat for several games.

Then I picked up some games that I hadn't played before and enjoyed my time with them but was finding I was more likely to switch on my PS4 since I didn't have to wait for the OS to load, log in, launch steam, log into steam again because my brother logged into another account, do the 2 factor authentication, wait for steam to update, and finally launch my game. It was nice that everything was setup in my bedroom though so I could just swap between my TV and my computer monitor for comfy "couch" (technically bed) gaming.

Later I moved, spent $1500 to upgrade to a top of the line (at the time) new build with a Ryzen 7 1700 and a 1080 for VR and grabbed a VR headset. And man that was a killer app to me first few days with that I though that this was where gaming needed to go and it was the most mindblowing thing but the games weren't there outside of a few standouts and while I would show it off every chance I got I never really used it much myself outside of a few experimental games. And now that I had moved my PC was in a separate room so I lost that comfy couch gaming feel and was even more likely to just run games in my front room on the PS4 or WiiU since it was just easier and more comfortable. I got a steamlink but ran into so many issues with that danged thing that I quit using it.

Fast forward I reached a point where outside of emulation (which is amazing and I love) and some random indie games that would run on a toaster my $1500 gaming PC was a Facebook/Resetera machine. I ended up selling it and now just use a raspberry pi 4.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I've found the best thing about PC gaming is being able to play all your games in one place. Because there's not a "PC 2" so to speak, games from newer gens and older gens can all be played in one place, and a lot of the time the games will scale with hardware in some ways. Its a great convenience and helps take away the need for "HD Remasters".

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Pathologic Classic HD, Pathologic 2, and The Void.

Excellent choices that are PC only at the moment.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Spending a bunch of money on a gaming PC but not having any idea what games to play? That's dope. I'm also a shoot first ask questions later sort of guy.

Starcraft 2 remains one of the very best games ever made and it's free to play.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
The game launched, should i buy it? (read that as in, it doesn't seem to have any new severe problems at launch)

It seems that Youtubers who got early access to the game haven't found many —if any—, of the issues during beta, so it's now a smooth experience.

As with this types of games, only go for then if you care for the management aspects, balancing animal welfare and economics. In the game, you can get protesters that disturb your guesses and get penalize with fines for low exhibit conditions. There's plenty of guided tutorials in the game, also. It's not like Planet Mars that throwed you in the dark (though I enjoyed that, lol).

OP
OP
adumb

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Spending a bunch of money on a gaming PC but not having any idea what games to play? That's dope. I'm also a shoot first ask questions later sort of guy.

Starcraft 2 remains one of the very best games ever made and it's free to play.

It's more of a need a decently powerful PC for other things anyway kind of deal. Gaming is secondary.

This is if my partner asks, you understand. This is absolutely about work, and nothing to do with replacing Skyrim dragons with Untitled Geese.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It's more of a need a decently powerful PC for other things anyway kind of deal. Gaming is secondary.

This is if my partner asks, you understand. This is absolutely about work, and nothing to do with replacing Skyrim dragons with Untitled Geese.
Understood. Did you know some of the most exciting work in AI development happening today uses Starcraft 2 multiplayer as a learning environment?
deepmind.com

AlphaStar: Grandmaster level in StarCraft II using multi-agent reinforcement learning

AlphaStar is the first AI to reach the top league of a widely popular esport without any game restrictions. This January, a preliminary version of AlphaStar challenged two of the world's top...

If you wanted to dabble in the exciting industry of AI and machine learning, Starcraft 2 is available for free right here: https://starcraft2.com/en-us/ The free 2 play edition includes ALL multiplayer components, limited access to the co-operative mode, and the first of three single player campaigns. In case you need a genuine impossible on any other platform PC exclusive to enjoy after putting in a full day's work.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I've been a console gamer my whole life, but I'm picking up a fairly capable PC in the next week or so, and initially I thought of it as this whole new world of opportunity. But then I got to thinking... what am I actually hoping to play? As the gap between console has lessened significantly, and developers understandably bring their games to console, I feel like I've already played most of what's available. I'm no graphics hound, and revisiting games I already own with better visuals doesn't interest me particularly, so ...what should I be playing? What are the gaming experiences that only a PC can offer?

Because otherwise this is going to be an expensive Disco Elysium machine.

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. The greatest RTS of all time.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Immersive Sims: Deus Ex; Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl; Tron 2.0; System Shock 2. Absolutely essential games if you like "Shooters with powers" .

RTS: Age of Empires II Definitive Edition (out in 2 weeks). The Total War games. Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 1+2; Homeworld Remastered; Supreme Commander- Forged Alliance; the SpellForce series; (whenever it's released) WarCraft III Reforged; StarCraft 1+2 - this is just scratching the surface of the strategy game genre that has almost 40 years of history on PC, and most of those games are still playable, and many hold up. GOG is your gateway to strategy game history, and it is incredible. Steam's a better place for the more polished, AAA iterations, most notably the Total War series.

There are other genres, of course. Point'n'click adventures, 1st person puzzle games, real-time city-builder games, Paradox's grand strategy games, tons of 4X strategies, weird ambitious and janky RPGs that only ever get a PC release and then become cult hits;

PC Gaming is not, contrary to popular belief, "all about the flashy graphics" . It's a treasure trove of variety of genres, many of which have seen a recent resurgence, but also have established classics lovingly preserved via decades of back compatibility. There's always something new to discover, and the multitude of retailers like Fanatical, IndieGala, Humble Bundle, Green Man Gaming, Steam and GOG (to name just a few) shine near-daily spotlight on some more obscure games via sales, allowing you to try to find niche games in a genre that interests you.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
total-war-three-kingdoms-asia-pc.jpg

Totally exclusive. Amazing strategy. And completely busts the 'PC hardware doesn't have any high-tech games to run!' myth.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Playing console games at 60+ fps with mods is a vastly difference experience.

Look at Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash for example.

You should be open to playing games that are already on consoles, especially older ones.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Some games that are only available on PC or are better on PC. I didn't played them all, but people love all of these.

Diablo 1/2
Dwarf Fortress
World of Warcraft
RTS's (Age of Empires, Starcraft, Warcraft)
TBS's (Civilization, Total War)
Simulators (Cities: Skylines, Farming Simulator, Two Point Hospital)
CRPG's (Shadowrun, Divinity: Original Sin, Baldur's Gate, Planescape)
Visual Novels (The House in Fata Morgana, When They Cry, Steins;Gate, The Silver Case)
TCG's (Pokemon TCG, Magic The Gathering, Hearthstone)
MOBA's (LoL, DOTA 2)

And of course, you can buy games from previous generations on Steam/GOG that aren't available on consoles today.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Simulators (Cities: Skylines)

I know mine is an impopular opinion but I still prefer SimCity 2013 over Skylines. Maybe because of nostalgia, or because I find the stylized art direction of the latter more appealing. Also, city specializations in SimCity was fun, and the expansion, Cities of Tomorrow brought cyberpunk/sci-fi cities, which looked great.

Managing wise, Cities: Skylines is probabbly the better Game, though.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

(TOKI YO TOMARE)

Even though people have been properly rewarding the massive quality of many of my picks that used to populate my lists to get console releases, it still shows how the PC is a breeding ground for innovation and variety.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Two of my favorite games of 2018 were PC only, but fortunately for the console folk Frostpunk is coming to consoles real soon and Two Point Hospital next year. Those are recent games I'd recommend to PC players. Edit: Frostpunk on consoles was released last month actually.

OP
OP
adumb

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
I seem to recall seeing people stacking Game Pass time to an absurd degree somehow. Is this still possible? I wouldn't mind setting myself up with it for the next few years.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
A mouse alone is a game changer for a lot of games. Hell, sometimes games become way too trivial with mouse input and I have to force myself to use controller (RE4). Any game with mouse aiming is in a whole different ball park compared to controller. I legit can't imagine playing Dusk or Titanfall 2 with a controller. Then it opens up whole new experiences within genres like ARMA. Also; exclusive PC titles, breadth of unique PC-only indies (check out Zachtronics), and, of course, mods. Bloodlines with Unofficial patch, STALKER with bugfixes...