• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like at least Gamepass is upfront payment for x months.

I'd imagine others will settle down for payment per playtime, at least for lesser indie games. (Which is already used model). Makes sense for services since they don't have to gamble. Sucks for devs tho.
Payment per playtime would make absolute 0 sense for indies. I am sorry for this devs, but if you go payment per playtime you are likely to be super fucked (and earn peanuts).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sub worries strike me as pretty premature. These services offer alternatives for devs, not replacement. They can be a way to shore up reasons to dev for a platform they might not have bothered with. Wayforward wasn't gonna make bank in shantae on iphones, and a large chunk of way of pc game pass games are hitting months after release for a reason

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sub worries strike me as pretty premature. These services offer alternatives for devs, not replacement. They can be a way to shore up reasons to dev for a platform they might not have bothered with. Wayforward wasn't gonna make bank in shantae on iphones, and a large chunk of way of pc game pass games are hitting months after release for a reason
Issue with this industry is that everything is not an issue until suddenly becomes an issue. Remember MTX and how they started and where we are today? How they impacted game design and habits? How GaaS games started and where we are today? And so on and so on.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The problem of subscriptions is that they can quickly become problematic for games even outside it, even more for smaller games that do not have that much in-built hype (such as the majority of indies). Subscriptions services would give easy access to a ton of games for a month for less than the price of a normal indie title (or heck, 1-1.5 major releases a year).

Now, in mobile it might be a net positive if only due to the small size of customers paying upfront for an experience (compared to the total possible population), so there is a big possibility on having a conversion between "only mtx/gacha game" to "subscriber for a few bucks to a service with nice games". Now on more normal consoles, this upfront isnt as big, as they are already fully paying customers.

We already saw developers realizing the devaluating effects of bundles years after the fact (and that has lead to much more conservative bundles now, which is kinda positive), and in the case of subscriptions, we will probably quickly see (and heck we are starting to see it in Gamepass) that once the service has enough content, people will just wait for it in the service while playing other stuff, only going outside the medium when the game is hype enough (which again, most indies sadly arent).

Would it kill indies? Probably not, but it would probably lead to more "indies developed for the service", as well as see decrease in some platforms.

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently, I have awful gaming taste because I ended up having a great time playing through Crackdown 3. Maybe it's just the Gamepass effect.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I think I might finally buy Imperator Rome now. Embarrassing launch, but the re-jigging of mechanics in the latest patch looks good.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The problem of subscriptions is that they can quickly become problematic for games even outside it, even more for smaller games that do not have that much in-built hype (such as the majority of indies). Subscriptions services would give easy access to a ton of games for a month for less than the price of a normal indie title (or heck, 1-1.5 major releases a year).

Now, in mobile it might be a net positive if only due to the small size of customers paying upfront for an experience (compared to the total possible population), so there is a big possibility on having a conversion between "only mtx/gacha game" to "subscriber for a few bucks to a service with nice games". Now on more normal consoles, this upfront isnt as big, as they are already fully paying customers.

We already saw developers realizing the devaluating effects of bundles years after the fact (and that has lead to much more conservative bundles now, which is kinda positive), and in the case of subscriptions, we will probably quickly see (and heck we are starting to see it in Gamepass) that once the service has enough content, people will just wait for it in the service while playing other stuff, only going outside the medium when the game is hype enough (which again, most indies sadly arent).

Would it kill indies? Probably not, but it would probably lead to more "indies developed for the service", as well as see decrease in some platforms.

It's issue for consumers too. More subscription services out there means more exclusive titles for that service and that also means more money spent on subscription services. It will also impact game design a lot and could impact games quality too. Instead of chasing 1/10 games we could see a lot more of 6-7/10 games to achieve quantity instead of quality.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Getting through Arkham Asylum now, after playing Origins first. I see what people were saying about character models. If you gave Gordon a green tint you could sell him as Killer Croc, jesus.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this will make it's way to PC and consoles but this is probably the way subscriptions for mobile games are going to be from now on. And it sucks for developers.

EFLLgWEWsAYdafV

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Into my veins Rockstar!

I have it on xbox one x but I stopped playing somewhat early in the campaign because 30fps with bad controls was no way to enjoy that masterpiece and I've been waiting for the PC version. Waste of $60 (digital copy) but oh well.

I finished it on base PS4 :D Amazing game and experience.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll only get RDR2 as a benchmark/screenshot game. The story was really uneven and mostly meh and the combat/controls weren't too good either.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
With R* being an entity of 2K, I fully expect to see EGS and Social Club launch. After Borderlands 3, EGS is willing to spend crazy money even for 6 months of exclusivity.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
With R* being an entity of 2K, I fully expect to see EGS and Social Club launch. After Borderlands 3, EGS is willing to spend crazy money even for 6 months of exclusivity.

Rockstar has nothing with 2K. Both are owned by Take2 but Rockstar has more independence I think. Take2 never announces or talks about R* games and updates unless they are talking about sales numbers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Rockstar has nothing with 2K. Both are owned by Take2 but Rockstar has more independence I think. Take2 never announces or talks about R* games and updates unless they are talking about sales numbers.

Maybe so, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. It's not like buying 6 months of exclusivity for BL3 was a cheap thing to do.
R* games sell regardless after-all so it's not like the "bad media" of being a 6-month EGS exclusive will hurt R* selling a bajillion copies of the games on EGS & R* Social before it hits steam.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, also for all new non PC people:

Augmented Steam

Improve your browsing and shopping experience at Steam with many features and quality of life improvements!

A really simple extension for Steam that makes your life incredibly easy, showing you the best deals possible. The page (isthereanydeal.com) is also quite good at keeping you up to date with bundles and discounts.
is like extended steam but with more options?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe so, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. It's not like buying 6 months of exclusivity for BL3 was a cheap thing to do.
R* games sell regardless after-all so it's not like the "bad media" of being a 6-month EGS exclusive will hurt R* selling a bajillion copies of the games on EGS & R* Social before it hits steam.

It would probably still happen I am just saying that it would be R* decision not 2K or Take2.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think you mean Enhanced Steam. Enhanced Steam is no longer supported, Isthereanydeal got a hold of it and changed its name, it says so on that link.

"The original project (Enhanced Steam) was created by Jason Shackles (jshackles). Unfortunately, he has announced its end of life, so IsThereAnyDeal team has decided to pick it up and continue to enhance Steam for you.

The original extension has been live for years, and Jason did a tremendous job with it. However, as with any project of this size and years of support, it needed a little bit of cleanup. Therefore, we have completely rebuilt it from the ground up, aiming to provide as many of the original features as possible, while adding new ones down the line."

Hope jshackles got a decent payday from it, but from that it sounds like he just let them have it.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"The original project (Enhanced Steam) was created by Jason Shackles (jshackles). Unfortunately, he has announced its end of life, so IsThereAnyDeal team has decided to pick it up and continue to enhance Steam for you.

The original extension has been live for years, and Jason did a tremendous job with it. However, as with any project of this size and years of support, it needed a little bit of cleanup. Therefore, we have completely rebuilt it from the ground up, aiming to provide as many of the original features as possible, while adding new ones down the line."

Hope jshackles got a decent payday from it, but from that it sounds like he just let them have it.
I guess they really just build the code as clean as posible, because it really doesn't have any new feature, but I had to move on because with Enhanced Steam the historic low prices stopped working.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might finally buy Imperator Rome now. Embarrassing launch, but the re-jigging of mechanics in the latest patch looks good.

I was so disappointed with that game. Bought it on a whim and quickly regretted it. Didn't help that a month or so later it was one of the titles included with game pass on the pc.

Anyway, if someone sees this the discord invite in the OP says it is expired or invalid for me.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
One of the games I've been following for a while now finally got a steam page, it's really cool. They're also self publishing it!
watchingthepathofshebzu.jpg

Early Access? What type of game is this again?

Death Trash is a semi open world role-playing game with a handcrafted story campaign in a grotesque post-apocalyptic setting. It features some replayability through choices you make, both in narrative and in gameplay. It's quite a complex game to figure out for a solo developer, so it would improve a lot through broad feedback and more iterations and that's my main reason for using Early Access instead of working behind closed doors and releasing when it's all done.

Early Access will start with about a third of the final campaign, gradually update the game, and leave the final third to still be discovered on or close to the official 1.0 release.

If you have more questions regarding Early Access, please also look at the info on the Steam page.

More info on it there

pool_of_tender_loving_care.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think this will make it's way to PC and consoles but this is probably the way subscriptions for mobile games are going to be from now on. And it sucks for developers.

EFLLgWEWsAYdafV

Never say never, but I have a hard time seeing Apple making this pivot with Arcade, given that they've used "no microtransactions, no online requirements" as a key selling point, and that a lot of the games they're marketing the service on are single-player story-driven indie games.

Status
Not open for further replies.