• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Collaborative filtering? That is what I want. As a consumer in an ecosystem, I want personalized suggestions. Valve knows everything about my gaming habits: playtime, page impressions, etc. Fine, why cannot they show me personalized suggestions of games? The "interactive recommender" is their first attempt.
Pretty sure the main page infinite scroll is collaborative filtering, which pools info from everything you have done / friends have done. Same with Discovery Queue (although only on part, and I think too much weight is put on new and popular for newer lists):

How is my Discovery Queue generated?
The products in your queue are brought together from a variety of sources – new, popular, top-selling or similar to other products you have on Steam. It tries to strike a balance between prioritizing products known to be good, and new products that you may find interesting.

how_it_works_english.jpg

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Rami is not cheering for Epic: he is cheering that Valve might get pressured to lower their cut. He has no stake in Epic specifically.

Valve is not working on discoverability for indie devs, but because it would be economically stupid to own an ecosystem and not have an automatic recommender. Consumers ask for it, content creators ask for it, and Valve is squeezed in-between: if they do not work on it, some other store like GOG might.

If the GOG 2.0 launcher is amazing and they have that flagship game set for release next year, it can get scary for Valve faster than one would imagine. The game would drag players, and the launcher would retain them. With all this data, GOG could work on discoverability after the release of Cyberpunk.

Rami is cheering for what he thinks Epic stands for and that's giving every indie dev a huge, riskless paycheck. It's very clear he longs for Tim's moneybags and constantly deriding one side for the smallest transgressions while ignoring every highly questionable thing the other side does/says can absolutely be construed as cheering for the latter.

For the rest: So Valve, despite all their efforts over the last years, didn't get it perfect yet and they also only did it because they were forced to instead of altruism, which must be pointed out repeatedly for some reason, gotta jump on everyone not making that clear enough (see also refunds). Meanwhile the rest isn't doing anything about discoverability but we have faith in GOG suddenly hitting it out of the park. Because of a new launcher and Cyberpunk, despite so far having done very little in that area and having a much smaller store which isn't doing so great financially? How exactly will it get scary for Valve in a way that they won't be able to react?

If, would, should, could, maybe. It's really easy to critizice what someone is doing and prop up the theoretical possibilty that someone esle who isn't could do it so much better if they only tried. It's also disingenious and at some point dare I say concern trolling.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
pools info from everything you have done / friends have done

Definitely not from everything which I have done.

The recommendations are often irrelevant, and only rely on tags, e.g. solo adventure RPG with great audio. That is content-based filtering.

If I had to guess, I would say that FF8 is recommended because I have recently played The Witcher 3. That is the best this system can achieve.

As for friends, i) they do not necessarily like what I like, ii) I get this kind of recommendation because a friend recently wrote a review. The system is very basic.

In contrast, if I check the "interactive recommender" for the most recent niche games, I get personalized recommendations which I can actually understand.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Rami is not cheering for Epic: he is cheering that Valve might get pressured to lower their cut. He has no stake in Epic specifically.

Cheering for someone is cheering for someone no matter the reason for why you've chosen to cheer for them. By supporting EGS as a force to maybe get Steam to lower their stake then you're also supporting whatever else the EGS is doing, it's really as simple as that.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get Rami, he is cheering for Epic Store and yet he has some issues with this

He also respects journalists and it is on their side while those same journalists only cover indie games that are already big hits or from established developers.

I disagree with Rami on practically everything, but I appreciate that he sticks up for journalists.
I wish everyone else would do the same, at least occasionally.

The fact of the matter is that the site I write for (Cubed3) has 8-10 critics pushing multiple reviews a week. Despite all of us working together, we still can't keep up with all of the new releases. It doesn't help that a depressingly high number of gamers would rather engage in console/launcher wars instead of...well...anything else.

It's nice that Valve is doing something, but it's not enough. It'll never be enough. Nobody will ever be satisfied.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with Rami on practically everything, but I appreciate that he sticks up for journalists.
I wish everyone else would do the same, at least occasionally.

The fact of the matter is that the site I write for (Cubed3) has 8-10 critics pushing multiple reviews a week. Despite all of us working together, we still can't keep up with all of the new releases. It doesn't help that a depressingly high number of gamers would rather engage in console/launcher wars instead of...well...anything else.
That is also a great comment, there is just not enough critics to play all game releases (we are talking about 100+ "popular enough" games a month). Also why I am kinda sad whenever people try to downplay the importance of user reviews (as even if they are not as good as some of the top critics, it allows for people to get knowledge of more games).

It's nice that Valve is doing something, but it's not enough. It'll never be enough. Nobody will ever be satisfied.
True, although there are some thing Valve really should improve (looking at you mobile app).

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
That is also a great comment, there is just not enough critics to play all game releases (we are talking about 100+ "popular enough" games a month). Also why I am kinda sad whenever people try to downplay the importance of user reviews (as even if they are not as good as some of the top critics, it allows for people to get knowledge of more games).
I used to write user reviews, so I'll always be in favor of them.

Plum

May 31, 2018
User Banned (1 week): inflammatory point of comparison
It doesn't help that a depressingly high number of gamers would rather engage in console/launcher wars instead of...well...anything else.

That didn't come out of nowhere. Epic came in using the most antagonistic methods possible and their CEO has repeatedly stoked the flames of war.

This whole EGS thing honestly reminds me so much of the current Brexit situation, and I think that's why I'm so frustrated with it. Not in any political way, of course, but in the basic fundamentals regarding how the 'problem' came to be and in what it's done to each community (Britain/PC Gaming). JUST TO CLARIFY THIS IS NOT COMPARING THE TWO POLITICALLY AND I DON'T THINK THAT ANYONE IS AS BAD AS BREXITEERS OR THAT THE SITUATION IS ANYWHERE NEAR IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ THIS PART OF THE POST. PLEASE. I BEG YOU.

Basically you have a non-perfect but incredibly well-establishes status quo (the EU/Steam) being suddenly challenged by a newer, highly-antagonistic faction who wishes to completely disrupt that status quo (Brexiteers/Epic) for their own personal gain. That newer challenger mixes the legitimate issues with a whole bunch of overblown lies/hyperbole whilst getting both 'lower-folk' (Indies in this case, I honestly can't think of a better term) and money-focused elites (major publishers) on their side with promises of mass-prosperity. For us regular folk there's a very arbitrary line being drawn in the sand that, frankly, very few people actually gave a shit about before, and that line has created a division and animosity between people that will likely never go away because it's a war that nobody can actually win. It's just so incredibly frustrating and I'm sick of these artificial crises being drawn up by those who are so very obviously just out for themselves.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Still cant wrap my head around using store suggestions to get into a non-f2p game, pretty much whenever i click store i already know what game im trying to purchase

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
20 hours (in game clock but shows up as 18 on steam clock) of legend of heroes tits FC

Just made it to chapter 2 and loving it so far

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why is that whenever a PC related thread is made on gaming side, it's usually by someone who has no idea what they're on about? Is it to bait folk?

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Why is that whenever a PC related thread is made on gaming side, it's usually by someone who has no idea what they're on about? Is it to bait folk?

I was thinking about this, looks to me that the majority of threads about Valve specificaly made here on ERA is to bait people and push some narrative, if the thread fail on any of those, suddenly who disagrees are bad toxic people.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Early reviews for Devil's Hunt are not very encouraging.
I didn't know the game is being made by the book's author. That could explain why it's got some issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
playing through episode 2 of Fate of Atlantis, and while the first episode was fine, I'm liking this a lot better, visuals aside. Some nice narrative payoffs to the original game, the cultist system is back, more of the quest design feels hand-crafted rather than purely system-driven, and the rifts are a fun spin on combat. Too much time in Elysium revolved around clearing out fortresses over and over again.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Have been home sick for a few days, and have had the luxury to go through my backlog on Steam, and tried some Game Pass games as well.

Quick impressions:

The Talos Principle - If I hadn't played a game in a long time, and had no other waiting, I might have had the patience for this game, but right now, the game annoyed me. I know that there's a good game in here, but with the game pushing small repetitive puzzles on me, alongside text files to read, and a lot of audio logs, I quickly opted out of this one. That the enviroments looked the same, to the point that I got repeteadly lost, and wouldn't have know where I had been or not if not for the signs that had crossed over completed puzzles, didn't help. It feels like a good game, that I just don't want to play.

Sleeping Dogs - I had the image of this game as a combo of a GTA clone and a brawler like Final Fight/Streets of Rage. It kinda was, but man, this felt clunky to play now. The combat was kinda fun, but the camera always managed to hide 2/3 of the enemies surrounding me, and the motorcycle was a pain to control. When those two flaws teamed up on me, in a mission where I was supposed to shake the cops of my tail, I quit and uninstalled the game after four attempts.

Sonic Mania - Kinda fun, but it's also so very apparent all the time that this is a fan game. It might be intentional, but the game throws so many loops alternate ways and contraptions on you, that it's hard to guess if you're even going in the right direction sometimes, the backdrops and foreground often blurs into each others, it has some enemies that completely stops the flow of the game, and some of the enemies are really hard to spot when they're sometimes in the same color as the backdrop. Often very fun, but very often so annoying as well.

Yakuza 0 - I actually played through chapter 1 a long time ago, and just tried it again. I would like to play this as an adventure game, but I would like to skip pretty much every single fight in this. Almost all of them feel like repetitive filler, that's just wasting time.

Endless Space 2 - I barely remember where I got this from now. but I've played an hour, and it was pretty fun. I didn't get into Endless Legend despite playing for 4-5h, but after 1h with this, I already feel a bit hooked. A very good tutorial helped a lot here. It's like space civ (not suprising being a 4X game perhaps) with heroes, quests, events, elections and other fun stuff. Not sure exactly how it holds up later on, or how much time I actually have for it, but so far, it's fun. And it looks good.

Creature in the Well (Gamepass) - I had no idea what to expect, the game gave me so little clues about it that I barely noticed when it actually started and I wasn't in a menu or intro. And after spending some time trying to figure out the pinball-esque puzzles/challenges, I unintalled it and moved on, with it being on Gamepass and not something I had actually bought or wanted.

The Messenger (Gamepass) - The game messed up the joypad setup, with X and Start on my joypad both individually triggering the other. Didn't have the energy to look into this, so I moved on. #GamepassMentality

Bridge Constructor Portal (Gamepass) - My favorite of these games. I was sceptical, after playing some less then stellar games in the series on my phone, and I thought this would be a pretty bad cash in, on the Portal series. But this was actually pretty darn good (beaten 14 of 60 levels). The humour is there, and pretty spot on very often, it has a lot of nice touches and details in the graphics, and it uses the portals, companion cubes and other stuff from the Portal games very well in the levels. I actually stopped playing it because I felt I would rather buy this on Steam, with all the features of the client there, then keep playing it in the mediocre XBOX app. Highly recommend this title, even if it might start a bit slow and controlled.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
20 hours (in game clock but shows up as 18 on steam clock) of legend of heroes tits FC

Just made it to chapter 2 and loving it so far

FC is the slowest (and less crazy) game in the series, but I love it. My first time was enjoyable the more I was playing, but my second run was a delight since the start. I need to drop my slacking off and get the 3rd.

I just watched a walkthrough of the game for the story, and it has some really pretty looking areas in the long run. You are still right though, it is on theme for each area, but looking very similar in itself.
Those audio logs sounded like the usual deep philosopical thinking about existence (yawn), but those QR codes were sometimes pretty funny.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know when you can play Fifa 20 if you buy Origin Premier? I can't really figure it out at all.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So, I can launch GOG Galaxy with Playnite, launch Rockstar's Launcher with GOG galaxy and then launch Steam with Rockstars Launcher
unknown.png

Does anyone know when you can play Fifa 20 if you buy Origin Premier? I can't really figure it out at all.
If it's like EA Access, Thursday for the 10 hours, 24th for release

Status
Not open for further replies.