• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
2) sod the eggs, there are tons of great games to play that are available to buy from many stores.

3) sound like bad luck. Ive built and re-built my pc about 4-5 times now and as long as you are careful and follow the correct procedures you shouldn't have any problems. I follow you tube guide for most of my builds.

4) I use a TV and sound bar and think its fine.

In conclusion - yes get back into PC gaming. There are so many options its really a great time to be on PC.

Yeah, I think I will. My main worry with the EGS is that more major titles are going to be exclusive to it, and it's already the case that games I intend to purchase when I do get a PC aren't available on Steam (Metro Exodus, Control, maybe BL3).

The thing with building for this one is that due to my setup I can't really put a full or even a mini tower in, and if I did it would be rather awkward as it would just be sitting right on the floor next to my TV. I suppose I could buy a prebuilt but I know that's not always the best idea.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Plum
The egs isn't really that big an issue, if you keep an open mind and are willing to experience any type of game there is no shortage of nice games released each month on Steam, GOG, etc.
For example, if you're interested in a Strategy game, consider Battletech

Endless Space 1 is being offer for free on humble atm, so try and grab a copy quick! Assuming the game interests you of course.

If there are any particular genres that interest you, do mention it and I, or we, will try and recommend some good titles for you.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017

Dropped a few hours into Queen's Wish and am really digging it so far.

You may have noticed above that it's my first Spiderweb Software game and after my brief hands-on introduction to the dev, I can see myself being a regular with their release schedule.

I mentioned in the Controversial Opinions thread that I find myself gravitating more and more to titles with a clean & simple presentation, away from the visual noise of hyper detail. Queen's Wish is a good example of this in motion. It looks like a 90s-era cRPG, but it's still pleasant to look at and reads really well visually. Oddly, the abstracted nature of the graphics kinda makes Queen's feel like a board game or a D&D PnP session. It's hard to explain.

Writing is pretty ace with a wry sense of humor as you play a layabout member of the royal family charged with unifying a lost vassilized territory. Seems like there's pretty meaningful dialogue options in conversation trees where you can shape the tone & alignment of your character. Do you want to actually help these people or do you want to be an entitled uber-brat? Maybe something in between? Clementine will remember that.

TB-Combat seems cool so far. Has a tactics-lite feel. And the Mana-refresh system feels novel in that it replenishes based on kill-count, making use feel strategic.

So all and all I'm quite enjoying myself so far. I'm an absolute sucker for basement/home-brew game design (cough) and frankly am pretty shocked that I'm only now discovering the husband/wife team behind Spiderweb Soft. Digging into their backstory really enhances the game experience. Or at least gives a greater appreciation for the lane their cruising in.

EJmb6aT.gif

Glad you're liking it

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I think I will. My main worry with the EGS is that more major titles are going to be exclusive to it, and it's already the case that games I intend to purchase when I do get a PC aren't available on Steam (Metro Exodus, Control, maybe BL3).

The thing with building for this one is that due to my setup I can't really put a full or even a mini tower in, and if I did it would be rather awkward as it would just be sitting right on the floor next to my TV. I suppose I could buy a prebuilt but I know that's not always the best idea.

It is a pain if a game you really want is only going exclusive. I am happy to wait but i understand the nature of wanting to play a game at launch. All i can say is that there are 1000s of great games already released and if you are willing to wait those exclusives will eventually come to other stores and probably be cheaper/patched up.

I have my pc next to my TV in the living room and have cunningly hidden it by sticking a plant in front of it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Plum
The egs isn't really that big an issue, if you keep an open mind and are willing to experience any type of game there is no shortage of nice games released each month on Steam, GOG, etc.
For example, if you're interested in a Strategy game, consider Battletech

Endless Space 1 is being offer for free on humble atm, so try and grab a copy quick! Assuming the game interests you of course.

If there are any particular genres that interest you, do mention it and I, or we, will try and recommend some good titles for you.

Unfortunately I'm not interested in that kind of Strategy game (Fire Emblem: Three Houses is as hardcore as I want to go lol) but there are definitely a bunch of games that I want to play that have come out in my absence from PC Gaming. Control is definitely the biggest annoyance right now because I'd really want to play that on PC; same with Watch Dogs: Legion and Outer Worlds.

It is a pain if a game you really want is only going exclusive. I am happy to wait but i understand the nature of wanting to play a game at launch. All i can say is that there are 1000s of great games already released and if you are willing to wait those exclusives will eventually come to other stores and probably be cheaper/patched up.

I have my pc next to my TV in the living room and have cunningly hidden it by sticking a plant in front of it.

Don't have space for a plant (my room's not big), unfortunately, but I can try and fit it in. I still have my Nano Define S from my previous build so if I can fit that in I'll be able to save a bit of money that would have been used to buy a case.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
In general, if you are going to boycott something you will have to give something up, unfortunately for some that means not participating in a game's launch in this case. I agree tho that there is such a plethora of games available on the platform that you shouldn't miss too much, especially if you own a console since a lot of the EGS exclusives are coming out on console as well (unless you are also in the camp that would also like to punish devs for taking the deals). The biggest incoming exclusive to me is Outer Worlds, and that's on console as well.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind EGS, but I believe Outer Worlds will be on Xbox Game Pass for PC. I'll probably grab it there.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
oh word, my info is bad
but yeah, in general I don't think you should let EGS prevent you from getting into pc gaming

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of the Spiderweb Software games are on sale on at the moment GOG by the way

Lol If you want kept busy for the next like 8 months~

The punch line is that with indie devs of this size I'm almost more inclined to buy direct from their website at full price just to see them get all the full cut.

Might be a long way off given how slowly I tend to creep through games, but I'm thinking I might dive into Avadon: The Black Fortress next.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Finished TitS First Chapter finally. It's still as great as I played on PSP years ago and that ending still hit like a ton of bricks. Finally I can move on to SC.

My achievement though....
6Hl9Spd.jpg

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
was playing a bit of The Messenger (yo The Messenger is dope) and I started thinking about that DLC it got, and I thought to myself "what is the financial motivation for The Messenger or Celeste for example to have free dlc?"

...fuck I've become super cynical in my old age :(

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
6th anniversary sale for Arma 3, the best milsim out there. Quite the achievement, and comes with a 66% sale, as well discounts on the DLC.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I played more RDR Online now that it is free week on PS4 and i must say that it is much much better experience than GTA Online. It is basically RDR 2 Lite. You have story missions, side missions, PVP modes, collectibles... Basically everything that it is in RDR 2 is in RDR Online just in different capacity. I am building this character on PS$ in hope that if/when game comes to PC i can just transfer my character and i could see myself play RDR Online on PC for a long time even though i abandoned MP games in general for a while now.

Also more i play GreedFall more i get Witcher 1 vibes from it. It really reminds me on humble beginnings of CDPR and their ambition. I hope that BigBen Interactive will give Spiders more freedom and money after GreedFall. I know that Focus Interactive would.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't mind EGS, but I believe Outer Worlds will be on Xbox Game Pass for PC. I'll probably grab it there.

Damn, I didn't realise this. I've got Game Pass Ultimate until April next year so I should have access to it whenever I buy the PC.

Guess the only loss right now is Control... and the majority of AAA games and fair amount of indie games that will inevitably be locked to EGS in the future...

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Hektor I'm doing it again, I'm playing a bad game with all added dlc just so I can keep shitting on it without being a hippo

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
was playing a bit of The Messenger (yo The Messenger is dope) and I started thinking about that DLC it got, and I thought to myself "what is the financial motivation for The Messenger or Celeste for example to have free dlc?"

I you want to be super cynical about it the answer is probably get renewed attention/sales, or create goodwill.

But it's more likely that it's just a labor of love.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

In general it is mostly about things you wanted to add to the project but you couldn't. I often add things to my projects (not games or software, architectural ones) if I get opportunity after they are finished because I want to reach certain standards.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Man i've got so mixed feelings about this game.
I totally love the world and some of the chars.

But i freaggin hated the combat system. No matter what character i played, which blades i used, which party composition i had and which enemy i fought, every single fight felt the exact same.

I played it for 40 hours and then dropped it when i found out i'm in chapter 5 of 13 or something.

Story worked great when it takes a comedic tone, not so much when it's trying to be serious.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Man i've got so mixed feelings about this game.
I totally love the world and some of the chars.

But i freaggin hated the combat system. No matter what character i played, which blades i used, which party composition i had and which enemy i fought, every single fight felt the exact same.

I played it for 40 hours and then dropped it when i found out i'm in chapter 5 of 13 or something.

Story worked great when it takes a comedic tone, not so much when it's trying to be serious.

Pretty much agree on the story part. I enjoyed the first half of the game quite a bit but after that it kind of gets up its own ass in the same way the first game did.

It's still a far better game than xenoblade chronicles, but I think that game is pretty awful.

I'll never play another fuckin' corrupt church trope JRPG again

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain I watched at least an hour of "combat tutorial" videos for XBC 2 and then I put the game down for a week, forgot everything and never touched it again

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
It is roughly the same volume of threads.

~ 120 threads since September 12 on the official forum for tech support with Borderlands 3.

~ 180 threads since September 12 on the Steam forum of Borderlands 2, including threads for tech support with Borderlands 2.

and threads about the Steam vs. EGS platform war:

It could have been worse. I expected a worse imbalance.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
It's a pity that the combat in Xenoblade 2 only gets better with the hardest and challenge modes (both in the DLC IIRC). Until that you can steamroll practically everything only doing flashy things not worrying about builds, pilot & blade combos, status... etc. At least in Torna the combat is better (you can control the blades) and the experience gets more streamlined (20-25h RPG instead of a bloated game like Xenoblade 2).

Anyway, I'm trying to decide which Steam game should I start now: Danganronpa 2 or Zero Time Dilemma. Pointing more to ZTD so at least then I'll finish the trilogy but I also need some despair in my life...

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone in the UK know where I can buy the base Forsaken DLC for Destiny 2? Nowhere seems to have it in stock and the Blizz store pages are just 404. I fancy playing it before Shadowkeep comes out. I have it on PS4 but my PS4 doesn't run the game at 4k/60 :)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
remind me, The Messenger is the game people were mad because it turns into a metroidvania halfway through or something? or was that Katana Zero?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone in the UK know where I can buy the base Forsaken DLC for Destiny 2? Nowhere seems to have it in stock and the Blizz store pages are just 404. I fancy playing it before Shadowkeep comes out. I have it on PS4 but my PS4 doesn't run the game at 4k/60 :)
It originally was Battle.net exclusive, but it looks like they've pulled all of the Destiny 2 stuff off their store already. Therefore, you're going to have to wait until the Steam launch of the game, and I suspect Forsaken will be available at launch.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
remind me, The Messenger is the game people were mad because it turns into a metroidvania halfway through or something? or was that Katana Zero?

That was The Messenger, although I thought the switching between 8 and 16 bit was neat, even if the Metroidvania part isn't quite as strong as other games that are just Metroidvanias it was still decent, and the game is good overall.

Katana Zero is good as well though.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
That was The Messenger, although I thought the switching between 8 and 16 bit was neat, even if the Metroidvania part isn't quite as strong as other games that are just Metroidvanias it was still decent, and the game is good overall.

thought so. I'm loving it so far personally but its still a...err normal 8bit ninja gaiden style joint.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Cdkeys.com seems to have aa few keys to sell but their price isnt discounted.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
8n2wRK5.jpg

So I finished the first part of the Assassin's Creed Odyssey: The Fate of Atlantis DLC, Fields of Elysium.

QLpsMOj.jpg

So the first thing to say about this DLC is that the area it takes part in, Elysium, is one of the most beautiful settings I've seen in a video game. Large green fields filled with flowers, interspersed with towns and forts stretched out into the sky. It definitely feels like the art department went to town on this one. With every town and fort on giant cliffs there's an incredible level of verticality to the world, and at it's best you'll have forts to clear out that stretch across multiple platforms in the sky, giving you a variety of ways to approach them. Unfortunately too many are just concentrated on one platform, meaning they don't really take full advantage of the very different design possibilities. At least the enemies you find within are very different, and actually posed a challenge to me, with their teleportation and adrenaline sapping skills. It actually encourages you to focus on stealthy taking down areas, which to my mind at least is one of the better ways to play the game. I just wish the stealth mechanics were a little more advanced. You are able to unlock advanced versions of four of your powers, which are very impressive and fun to use. Also, with the aforementioned giant cliffs, you'll be glad to know that spartan kicking people off of them has still not gotten old.

SIWMm46.png

The actual quests in the game are strikingly familiar though, consisting of 'go here fetch/kill this', but having the likes of Adonis, Hekate, Hermes and Persephone ask you to do them gave it a real Xena vibe, which I certainly loved. Greek Gods + Soap Opera + Kassandra is a good mix in my book. I would have liked some more variety though, and there's parts that hint at choice and consequence, though sadly it sounds as if they don't really lead to anything. It's a shame and I hope Ubisoft improve on that aspect in future. A small, self contained environment like this one would have been perfect for some choice and consequence. One of the real joys of Elysium is it's size. It has 4 relatively small areas that just beg to be cleared out entirely as you ride, climb and gondola around Elysium. Clearing all of Greece in the main game would be a sisyphean task, but here, it's perfectly doable and the game world's so beautiful that you want to explore it all. I'm eager to see if the next part of the DLC continues with this strong start.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The tone of Iconoclasts is really bizarre, you have these exaggerated main characters and speech patterns contrasted against a rather dark plot about class war in a facist religious state where npcs get killed and pummeled into submission constantly.

Game is so fluid to play tho and the art style and bouncy animations are a nice contrast to Blasphemous for religious themed 2d games.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to do Atlantis, if only to finally delete the game as it takes up a bunch of space :/

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Finished TitS First Chapter finally. It's still as great as I played on PSP years ago and that ending still hit like a ton of bricks. Finally I can move on to SC.

My achievement though....

giphy.gif
Ouch lol, I feel your pain, missing few collectibles for achievement happens to me way too often and that's why I absolutely love games that don't require to get you literally every single piece, but around 90% of them to unlock the achievement.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
2) The Epic Games Store bs. It's already frustrating looking at the situation as an outsider (especially with every thread getting derailed, turned to crap, locked, or all three), so I'm not sure whether I'd want to add the frustration of actually having to deal with it myself. I'm fine redeeming all the free shit they hand out but the thought of buying a game on there annoys me as I'm so used to Steam and having most everything under one program.

To be honest, for me ignoring the EGS has been similiar to quitting Facebook. You think it's going to suck and you're going to miss out on a bunch of cool shit, but you eventually just forget it even exists. There's just too much great shit out there that helps you forget you're not getting a particular overhyped game day 1. The current games I'm playing are Vermintide 2, Graviteam Tactics, Medieval 2: TW, Warhammer 2: TW, and Star Wars: Empire at War with mods. Those games release date stretech from 2007 or so to present. That's what makes PC gaming so great!

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
It is not, but everyone thinks so at first. I can understand.

Basically, download the tool, and run the config generator (to fill in your credentials) in your browser. That is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.