• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
'The only one who buys our indie games are people with 100+ or even 1k+ games'
'But why aren't they buying them right away and just wishlisting in best case scenario'

Well cause they have 100+ or even 1k+ games already. That detective work is only second to Sherlock's. Also probably doesn't buy shit but wants everyone to buy his shit.

Jesus this is so hostile. Like, why?

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Never got to cap the creepy FIFA guy from the gamescom trailer. The background person.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I checked Twitch after a while and man did WoW hit Fortnite, or maybe it was Season 10. One way or another current trajectory is going downward for both number of channels that stream the game and number of viewers.

Lifetime Averge

K1QHcT0.png

This year Average

RE6bpcc.png

This year Peak

Ps16Bhx.png

Last year

nkCA7oY.png

This year

2ju8XBL.png

In general all stat are down between 30%-50% compared to last year. My theory is that FPS games have 1.5 - 2 years of prime time before numbers are starting to go down and they stabilize when mostly core players are ones left playing the game. Same happened to PUBG for example. I wonder how long will WoW Classic last. Also i am really surprised by Minecraft and GTA Online raise on Twitch.
As I said before, it is following the normal pattern, and in the case of Fortnite, it reached such a saturation point in society that is hard to expand their audience more.

In the case of Minecraft, it has gained a second wind as more of the adult playbase it has been shedding came back to try it again (I guess due to a combination of an update, the AR game, and the upcoming Dungeons game), as they had never lost the young population.
Similarly, GTA:O had a massive resurgance with the role-playin

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As I said before, it is following the normal pattern, and in the case of Fortnite, it reached such a saturation point in society that is hard to expand their audience more.

In the case of Minecraft, it has gained a second wind as more of the adult playbase it has been shedding came back to try it again (I guess due to a combination of an update, the AR game, and the upcoming Dungeons game), as they had never lost the young population.
Similarly, GTA:O had a massive resurgance with the role-playin

I know that it is normal i just thought that drop won't be this big and that something next would be the cause not old games :D

Btw i need small help from PC Era. I am not sure what to do regarding the GPU purchase. I currently have 1060 6GB and only new game i plan buying by the end of the year is GreedFall. So i am still fine. But CP2077 is nearing (unless they delay it) and i would need new GPU. I wanted to go with RTX2070 Super but there is no reason to buy it until CP2077. But by then there will be big chance that Nvidia will release something new during the summer. So what to do is the question. To get RTX 2070 Super around march or wait for next generation of GPUs and play CP2077 on peasant levels (i am graphics whore)?

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
'The only one who buys our indie games are people with 100+ or even 1k+ games'
'But why aren't they buying them right away and just wishlisting in best case scenario'

Well cause they have 100+ or even 1k+ games already. That detective work is only second to Sherlock's. Also probably doesn't buy shit but wants everyone to buy his shit.

Your bizarrely hostile argument isn't a very good one. If somebody has 1000 games then they buy a lot of games. Why would you assume they all only stopped buying games by the time this dev analyzed their behavior? The article posits these kind of players happen to buy a lot of games during sales.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This early launch access trend is tiring and I'm stupid. I've forgotten twice now that Gears 5 isn't actually out yet and tried to launch it prematurely.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Slain: Back From Hell (including DLC) is the Chrono.gg deal of the day, just $1.99. That's worth it right? It's been on my wishlist for ages and that's the cheapest I've ever seen it...

Oct 25, 2017
Equilibrium is the most anime a non anime medium ever.

Slain: Back From Hell (including DLC) is the Chrono.gg deal of the day, just $1.99. That's worth it right? It's been on my wishlist for ages and that's the cheapest I've ever seen it...
Particularly I found it terrible even on sale and is the only game I refunded for thinking it's bad. Level design is atrocious and many small tweaks you expect from a platformer are not there. It feels like devs didn't research how those games were being done thirty years ago. Combat is extremely linear and boring, also being punishing as an excuse for being "hardcore" or "deep". Presentation was absolutely not enough to save how bad it feels to play the game IMO.

Really interesting article about purchase behaviors on Steam

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisZukowski/20190906/350248/How_Steam_users_see_your_game.php

Makes you wonder how more barren stores fail at triggering that sale. So many little details are paramount to catching peoples interest.
This is super cool. Particularly I always click on games that sound funny (or a disaster) from their name or short description, just to check out if my expectations are met by the store page. I find fun just looking around stuff even if it's not my style of game. Game screenshots are a pretty interesting thing; a lot of the times I don't think they are any help at all, and many indie games try to make movie style trailers that also don't tell me how the game plays so it's hard to make a decision without hunting down reviews or an actual gameplay video. Other times they are enough for me to get a sense of "ah, it's a 2D Metroidvania" or "ah, it's a FPS going for a comedic tone", but they hardly are able to showcase what makes the game unique in its genre or setting, and since store page descriptions are 90% of the cases hyperbolic marketing speak or simply homogenously vague ("game features many builds because it has leveling" "unravel the mystery of who your father was while delving deep into demon's territory"), the video may make or break if I'm going to keep informing myself or leave it for later. Since that is the information I'm looking for, long intros trying to be mysterious or focused too much in the story get skipped like the devil skips the church on sundays. If it's not a VN or a point and click, show the game being played, show off your art direction and the characters first.
And no, I'm not watching 3 or 4 trailers in a store page, stop with that devs.

Participants wanted those 4 screen shots to show them what type of game they are hovering over. So I would recommend showing the 4 distinct points of your game's core gameplay loop. For instance if you have a survival/crafting game I would prioritize the following 4 screenshots:
1 that is someone exploring a beautiful open world
1 that is them collecting something (including the UI that says "pick" or "cut" or whatever)
1 of the crafting menu
1 of the character holding up the newly-crafted item
Highly agree with this. Lemme see the UI and menus that I'm expected to use. That helps a lot to "get" what the game is about and how it is played even if it's not a menu heavy game. It's like showing off the interior of a car - I want to know how I am going to sit there, what colors and textures I'm going to see while actually using the vehicle and not looking at him parked at the garage.

Now you might think trailers are the first thing they watch (it makes sense - they auto-play they are fully animated etc) but time and time again I saw most participants click right past the trailer to the screenshots. Most participants didn't even turn on the sound. I think this is because too many trailers have long logo intros and cinematics which participants didn't care about because it doesn't tell them the gameplay or the genre.
Absolutely. Long ass intros, sudden high pitched volume, and the fact I hate autoplaying in general, rarely Steam trailers get played with sound on for me. Some of the most crude and badly edited amateur trailers for indie games are the most informative, since they are just a sequence of shot gameplay clips. May look not polished or professional, but it's giving me what I want ASAP. A store is not a theater where I am doing nothing but watching carefully everything that comes up on the screen.

One of the test participants was from Indonesia and said that because of his internet connection, Steam trailers are very slow to load and so he never watches them.
Also this, yeah. Basically, if I'm watching your trailer I'm already wanting to want your game, or at least am very intrigued by what screenshot and description gave me.

The images In the game page accurately convey the verbs of the game and ultimately caused him to wishlist it.
In short, yeah, this. Too many store pages fail at this simple idea.

And to add something he doesn't cover: if you are going to have your store page localized to other languages... please, try your best to hire someone who plays games and give some context of your game to them. Far too many times (including for AAA titles) I see things that aren't supposed to be translated or some specific made up term/name that is awkwardly positioned in a sentence because the translator clearly had no clue what it is that just make the game description sound off, weird, amateurish and with a layer of noise that makes it harder to extract important information from. It's one thing when you are a solo developer without a full grasp in another language and tried to summarize your game, it's another when you have an obviously fully translated description from a template that is trying to awkwardly localize game terms in ways no native speaker ever used them.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am half way through the Homefront The Revolution and i kinda don't know what to think about it. In some ways it is really nice game but in others it is so tedious.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
it's on gamepass just so you know

I know but I currently don't have Gamepass since I am not eligible for the 2 months Ultimate for 2€ offer and probably won't get it until Outer Worlds comes out. Though I would probably prefer to own it and play it at my own leisure even if it is most likely not a long game.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I am half way through the Homefront The Revolution and i kinda don't know what to think about it. In some ways it is really nice game but in others it is so tedious.
It's a thoroughly middling game, but it has great FPS genes. The looks of HL2, the mechanics of Far Cry 3, and the QA of pre-patch Stalker

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is an odd question but does Steam keep track of times when you were about to buy an item or pack in the store but decided not to? I was checking to see how to apply a coupon to a game when I noticed that I had multiple purchase failed attempts on August 19 for the same game bundle. I'm 100 percent sure I didn't even try buying something back then. All it says is that the purchase failed because Steam was not able to accept payment from the provider.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I just discovered I was suffocating my poor RTX 2080 ti. I use an external GPU enclosure(Alienware Graphics Amplifier). Since I got it the GPU ran pretty warm. Usually peak around 82 and the fan would run at 85%. So it was fucking loud. I thought it was normal for the GPU. Today I open the case and let it run open and jesus the difference is immense. The GPU never tops 70c and the fan stays around 60% which is super quiet. On top of that the GPU boosted a 100 MHz higher AND was hitting 1900 MHz comfortably without touching any OC. So how do you guys deal with an open cooler in a small case? It makes me wish I paid the extra money for a blower style cooler.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered I was suffocating my poor RTX 2080 ti. I use an external GPU enclosure(Alienware Graphics Amplifier). Since I got it the GPU ran pretty warm. Usually peak around 82 and the fan would run at 85%. So it was fucking loud. I thought it was normal for the GPU. Today I open the case and let it run open and jesus the difference is immense. The GPU never tops 70c and the fan stays around 60% which is super quiet. On top of that the GPU boosted a 100 MHz higher AND was hitting 1900 MHz comfortably without touching any OC. So how do you guys deal with an open cooler in a small case? It makes me wish I paid the extra money for a blower style cooler.
Sure, external graphics adaptors aren't really designed for the heat put out by high end graphics cards.

Blower style coolers are really noisy, on account of the high fan speeds required to keep static pressure high. They're acceptable on lower power cards, but with a TDP of 250W on a 2080ti, that fan would be operating full power most of the time. They aren't very good at cooling (at least in the space afforded by two PCI slots).Their advantage is only that they don't dump hot air inside your case.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
How do you deal with a multi monitor setup with different resolutions? I bought a new 4k tv and have it setup as a second monitor for games. If I set it to 4k resolution and 100% scaling it cuts off part of the screen so I can't see the task bar or the window controls to be able to close the programs.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I subbed to the PC version of the Microsoft games service. Shit, $5 a month? And when I get home I can literally download like Gears 5 and Blair Witch? Am I understand correctly?

That's a helluva deal if so.

Edit- looking for it seems unbelievably legit. I can even play Forza Horizon 4? That's sick!

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Okay so I subbed to the PC version of the Microsoft games service. Shit, $5 a month? And when I get home I can literally download like Gears 5 and Blair Witch? Am I understand correctly?

Edit- looking for it seems unbelievably legit. I can even play Forza Horizon 4? That's sick!

Haha, welcome to our world.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France

I think there was even an offer for the Ultimate game pass, just got 2 months for 2 euros.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm enjoying Metro Exodus but I feel like a fucking idiot now...
For what I paid, even on a good sale, I could have had 7 months of sub.

How's it work with dlc? Does the service ever offer it? Or is that considered a revenue stream for the dev? Like you always pay for dlc like The Two Colonels?

DLC isn't included. You do get a slight discount tho.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, external graphics adaptors aren't really designed for the heat put out by high end graphics cards.

Blower style coolers are really noisy, on account of the high fan speeds required to keep static pressure high. They're acceptable on lower power cards, but with a TDP of 250W on a 2080ti, that fan would be operating full power most of the time. They aren't very good at cooling (at least in the space afforded by two PCI slots).Their advantage is only that they don't dump hot air inside your case.

my GTX 1080 before it was an FE. It ran pretty quiet. But considering the difference in TDP I understand where you are coming from. I will probably build a Ryzen tower early next year. I will suck it up with the current set up.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Same here.

letmein.gif

Gears 5 is good fun (I'm playing on an XB1X right now), but they are having server instability issues that are borking a lot of multiplayer and even affecting the single player campaign as well (occasional progression triggers won't fire and some people are losing progress).

So you're probably better off waiting a bit. I'm assuming it'll all get sorted in a week or so.

Good game though. It's hilarious how much Gears 5 takes from Uncharted after Uncharted lifted so much from Gears 1. The circle is complete.

Flower is such a nice game! :3
Especially the first chapters. Can't watch/play them without starting to simle. The chapter during the night is my favourite. The light effects are beautiful, and I love the change of the atmosphere during the end.
My only real gripe with the game is the lack of camera control. I'd love to be able to look around. Your only option is to fly high up to get a little overview of the area, but you always have to fly to change your viewpoint. And you can't do it slowly, full speed or nothing.
I think I also got a bit motion sick at the end. Compared to the chapters before, or it may have been bad luck, for I wasn't feeling too well the days anyway. But I felt a bit exhausted after the last chapter and stepped away for a bit before playing the credits. And there it really creeped into my stomach. I thought of stopping and then was sort of relived, when I reached the ending. Maybe that slight pause the game does, when you hit a flower with credits enforced the effect, with the game starting to stutter in a way.
Nevertheless a really nice, chill game. Mayabe I'll go back and grab the hidden flowers I missed.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to play Flower at some point. It seems like it would be very relaxing and at the very least unique. I vaguely recall enjoying the demo on Vita.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam version surprised me with solid performance and the fact the bothered with actually adding all those Steam features like trading cards and cloud support. And most importantly, it even has properly implemented counters on Steam achievements, so every time you pick up collectibles it shows how many of them you collected and how much left:
unknown.png

It's been a quite while since last time I've seen developer bothered with implementing this feature properly. The campaign so far was fun, need to try other modes before making a proper preview.

Uhhhh. What game?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

I knew that console backend (especially Sony one) was bad but I never knew that even SDK is complicated.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
What's a good way to see if I'm the one making everyone in a game lag? I never really played online on my laptop much before but I started to do so a lot recently and I'm worried that I may be the culprit.

I went to one site that said my ping was 39ms but another said that it was 19ms. I'm really new to the whole latency/lag thing.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
What's a good way to see if I'm the one making everyone in a game lag? I never really played online on my laptop much before but I started to do so a lot recently and I'm worried that I may be the culprit.

I went to one site that said my ping was 39ms but another said that it was 19ms. I'm really new to the whole latency/lag thing.
You should test packet loss if you can. It's a pretty common culprit with wireless connections, and there's not much you can do besides going wired unfortunately.

What game are you having trouble with?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't worry about that ping. You only really feel it once you get into the hundreds, at least for casual online games.

Might be a firewall or router issue, especially if you're the host? AFAIK, it really depends a lot on the game, in that case.

Oh, and some games just have bad netcode with no real fix. It's very noticeable in e.g. fighting games.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019

Are you playing a P2P games with you as the host?

You can always check your ping from command prompt. Then again you won't make people lag because your connection if you don't play P2P games like Warframe.

19-39ms is a great ping anyway. My whole life is playing multi-player games with 100-250ms ping.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
You should test packet loss if you can. It's a pretty common culprit with wireless connections, and there's not much you can do besides going wired unfortunately.

What game are you having trouble with?
I just went to a packet loss test website but I have no clue what settings to choose sadly lol. I left everything as is and tested it out and I got this:

Average Latency: 62.75ms

Average Jitter: 4.10ms

Total Packet Loss: 4.0%

Not sure if that's good or not.

I first started to worry when I was playing an RTS Multiplayer Beta test. I was hosting a game. Then I tried Unreal Tournament 2004 and the first game I was severely lagging to the point where I got kicked out for being afk(?) and the second game I did so much better but at the results screen it showed that everyone had 0ms while I had 39ms.
I wouldn't worry about that ping. You only really feel it once you get into the hundreds, at least for casual online games.

Might be a firewall or router issue, especially if you're the host? AFAIK, it really depends a lot on the game, in that case.

Oh, and some games just have bad netcode with no real fix. It's very noticeable in e.g. fighting games.
I tried hosting one game and that had some lag which was what I was starting to worry about. It was a RTS game and three other people joined my team against AIs but two of them quickly dropped out of the game. I thought maybe it was because I was a bad player but then I saw that lag continued to linger.
Are you playing a P2P games with you as the host?

You can always check your ping from command prompt. Then again you won't make people lag because your connection if you don't play P2P games like Warframe.

19-39ms is a great ping anyway. My whole life is playing multi-player games with 100-250ms ping.
It wasn't a P2P game like Dota or League or even FFXIV but it was an RTS game and then a shooter game.

I hope my ping is great! I lived my entire youth with horrific internet and now I'm using a much better setup but I'm wireless with my laptop.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
It wasn't a P2P game like Dota or League or even FFXIV but it was an RTS game and then a shooter game.

I hope my ping is great! I lived my entire youth with horrific internet and now I'm using a much better setup but I'm wireless with my laptop.

I don't think Dota, League, or FFXIV are P2P. If you were playing on a server and got a ping in the 30's then that's fantastic. Anything below 60 is really hard to feel. Anything below 100 is pretty much fine unless you're really accustomed to the game at lower latency. In UT2k4, the players showing 0 latency were either bots or on the same network as the host. But unless these players were actively talking, I'd say they were just bots.

Status
Not open for further replies.