• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
On Act 3, almost Act 4 of Gears 5 now and I honestly don't understand the praise around the game.
Sure the PC version is well optimized, it runs very well, but the campaign is way too similar to the Gears 4 one, the story is here as it was here in the other Gears games just to justify some shooting.
It's nice they added a semi-open world, but honestly it's not so interesting to navigate, so after I cleared the first snowy area I didn't bother with the desert one even because you can live without those ultimate upgrades for Jack.
To me Gears 5 is exactly what Gears 4 was: an honest, funny week-end game you'll beat and forget in about one week. If you are not interested in the multiplayer there's no reason to dump 70€ on this.

Also I wonder, since the game uses XBox login, if you share savegames between the Win Store and Steam version.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
On Act 3, almost Act 4 of Gears 5 now and I honestly don't understand the praise around the game.
Sure the PC version is well optimized, it runs very well, but the campaign is way too similar to the Gears 4 one, the story is here as it was here in the other Gears games just to justify some shooting.
It's nice they added a semi-open world, but honestly it's not so interesting to navigate, so after I cleared the first snowy area I didn't bother with the desert one even because you can live without those ultimate upgrades for Jack.
To me Gears 5 is exactly what Gears 4 was: an honest, funny week-end game you'll beat and forget in about one week. If you are not interested in the multiplayer there's no reason to dump 70€ on this.

Also I wonder, since the game uses XBox login, if you share savegames between the Win Store and Steam version.
So is the Steam version all good? Was hearing people having stuttering issues on the Windows Store version.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That later part gets subsumed by the much larger debate about Tomb Raider being colonialist fantasy, it's just a small element of much more problematic themes throughout Shadow of the Tomb Raider. This Waypoint/Vice review delves into that quite a bit.

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read. Waypoint continues to be a good place for quality commentary. Should've known to check them by this point!

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
Man, playing Gears 5 crossplay with Xbox has been all but problem free... cinematics getting out of sync with huge audio delays, objects that you shoot around are not in the same places for host and client, getting disconnected several times so host has to restart the game in order for me to rejoin... but the most annoying issue is that I had to play with like 500 ms lag all the time. In the end I got permanently disconnected so we stopped playing, but the servers have been updated now so hopefully it will be a better experience next session.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So is the Steam version all good? Was hearing people having stuttering issues on the Windows Store version.
I'm playing the Game Pass version and it's totally ok with a 970, a very well optimized game.
EDIT: Just completed the game. Overall it was very short, but as I wrote I skipped all the optional objectives in the second open-world location. Enjoyable game to spend a couple of days on, expecially with a coop buddy, but totally not worth the 70€ Microsoft is charging unless you aim to spend a lot of time on the multiplayer.
The game crashed on me twice, one in the final act right before I triggered a checkpoint, another in Act 2, but it runs very fine considering the 970 is like five years old or so.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Hmm, I wonder if I could complete Vanquish in a single sitting for the monthly challenge?

My fallback option would be Virginia on GOG.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I..uh, am one of you now. I just ordered a pre-built unit (due to store credit at a retailer that doesn't sell parts themselves), so I will now be adding (more recent) PC games to my library. Not that I needed to get a new PC to upgrade from my laptop, but I'll be going from:
  • i7-4800MQ
  • 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz
  • GTX 765M
to
  • i9-9900K
  • 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
  • RTX 2070 Super
What's the best way to keep apprised of sales and promotions? I've previously used the Steam wishlist, but it seems like the market is different since I've last paid attention 5-6 years ago. I've just been playing games on console/handheld these past years, with PC games like Cities:Skylines. Dota 2, and Civ V on the lowest settings, so my library is pretty outdated.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I play indies almost exclusively on my Switch (previously Vita), but I'm probably only going to focus on the big AAA and/or PC exclusives for my PC (since I already have a ton of games across my various consoles already).

Last edited:

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I use game deal reddits, isthereanydeal.com, and slickdeals.net. the more shady websites like cdkeys.com usually arent listed so you will have to check them yourself.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I..uh, am one of you now. I just ordered a pre-built unit (due to store credit at a retailer that doesn't sell parts themselves), so I will now be adding (more recent) PC games to my library. Not that I needed to get a new PC to upgrade from my laptop, but I'll be going from:
  • i7-4800MQ
  • 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz
  • GTX 765M
to
  • i9-9900K
  • 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
  • RTX 2070 Super
What's the best way to keep apprised of sales and promotions? I've previously used the Steam wishlist, but it seems like the market is different since I've last paid attention 5-6 years ago. I've just been playing games on console/handheld these past years, with PC games like Cities:Skylines. Dota 2, and Civ V on the lowest settings, so my library is pretty outdated.
giphy.gif

There will be a new monthly revealed in 30 mins.
Humblebundle.com/monthly
So if highlight game interests you consider getting it.

Oct 25, 2017
If you look who is most vocal against Valve and who jumped first on Epic train you could notice pattern. Both Tommy from Team Meat, SuperGiant Games and Rami were there for the first wave of Indie mega hits when Steam was closed platform. They all praised Steam then and for years after. But then Valve opened doors to everyone so they weren't special anymore and competition got tough. And now they speak against Valve.
This is extremely disingenuous.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I need to get back to Wuppo, game seemed incredibly charming and novel outside of some cumbersome inventory elements.

Carrying around a loud squaking hint bird on your head that annoys everyone is great.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty solid Monthly

Gods Trigger, State of Mind, Guacamelee! 2 were on my radar, Slay the Spire is great, Distance looks interesting and Shady Knight has style.

The Battletech highlight hurts a little because I bought that game at launch but still haven't played it...

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Pretty solid Monthly

Gods Trigger, State of Mind, Guacamelee! 2 were on my radar, Slay the Spire is great, Distance looks interesting and Shady Knight has style.

The Battletech highlight hurts a little because I bought that game at launch but still haven't played it...
The season pass for the game costs more than the game itself.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Humble Monthly was already worth it just for Slay the Spire.

Distance has been on my wishlist for a while, and I'm sort of interested in Guacamelee 2.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno what's all that hard to understand about the praise, the campaign is an extremely solid third person shooter with co-op and great graphics, and the multiplayer modes are like 2/3rds of the game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think when you manage to nearly beat a game in like 24 hours and then say "what's the big deal" you kind of undercut your point a bit. A lot of people can't manage to put half that much time into games they truly adore in that small time frame.

I don't think I've beat a game in a day or weekend in ages. Aside from ones that are like 2-3 hours long, that is.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I think when you manage to nearly beat a game in like 24 hours and then say "what's the big deal" you kind of undercut your point a bit. A lot of people can't manage to put half that much time into games they truly adore in that small time frame.

I don't think I've beat a game in a day or weekend in ages. Aside from ones that are like 2-3 hours long, that is.
I had 2 days off work and I beat the game, what's so hard to understand? It's a Gears game, the campaign is very short.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I love my PC for gaming. What I don't love is that for a given game it's a crapshoot if I'm going to have some weird framerate issue that no other person is having and has no known fix.

At least I can also play Gears on xbox I guess.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Ooh, I think I'm in for Humble this month, I've been meaning to get Battletech.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017

In case you didn't watch the video or got distracted for 1 minute and 45 seconds that person wishlisted the game after they thought the game's capsule image was cute, watched 13 seconds of an animated gif version of the trailer, read 12 words of the short description, SKIPPED the trailer, looked at exactly 4 screenshots (which took all of 5.5 seconds), checked 5 user-defined tags, jumped over the full-text description, glanced at the curators, and skimmed through 1 negative review.

If you thought she was some speed-reading super-shopper, she is not. What you just saw was the typical behavior I witnessed when I spent 5 hours watching gamers shop on Steam.

A qualitative review of Steam

I am an indie game developer with 1 game on Steam and another coming out soon. I struggle to market my games. I have read tons of postmortems and spent hours digging through my Google analytics, my own Steam sales data, and sales charts for other games on Steam Spy. But I am still clueless as to how to sell my game on Steam. And when I am setting up a new store page I am completely clueless as to what to put in the Short Description field and which screenshots to pick.

So I decided to undertake a different type of research project. I dove into the murky, messy world of qualitative research.

A qualitative look at Steam

For my research I reached out to gamers across the internet and asked them a very simple question, "would you be willing to let me watch (and record) you browsing the Steam store in exchange for $25?"

Thankfully 7 people agreed to trust me on this offer.

For this study, I spent at least 30-minutes with each person in a 1 on 1 screen sharing sessions watching them and asking them how they bought games. I listened as the puzzled through which games to wishlist, and which ones to pass.

The rest in the link.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that video is pretty much exactly how I look at stuff on steam besides saying "Oh thats so cute" every other 4 seconds except I do it even faster than that when looking at stuff

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Can't say I'm surprised that they skipped the trailer. Autoplaying videos on the internet are a scourge on us all.

Fascinating article though.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I don't even watch the trailer through if it opens with 10 seconds of fading through the game name and developer name like the one in that post. Typically a store icon looks interesting, I click it then immediately skip to the center of the trailer and watch a few seconds, only looking at more info if the gameplay or graphics are interesting. I think some stuff slips through the cracks with this method, but the throughput is high.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Thats a very interesting article. Also part of why I loved the 6 second microtrailer steamlab, and was surprised about the backlash by indie developers (although it is understandable as they already struggle to make a really great trailer).

Trailers is something I really only look after the game has peaked my interest nowadays, or during big events, and only as a sort of confirmation of the game being interesting, but the art behind them is also very interesting:

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I sort of base myself off of theory that if the overall page/look of the game doesn't draw me in after I read its like 20~ word description I just mark it as ignore and move on.
I only ever spend more time looking at stuff like more screenshots and the trailer after the original "Ooh what's this" phase

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when we were just happy that Battletech was getting made. Them being able to add some nice DLC chunks is nice.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I linked my Ps4 account to B.net along with my Steam account, will progress transfer from PS4 to Steam (Destiny 2 of course)?

Status
Not open for further replies.