• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I think his issue is that all the older news posts got categorized. This won't be a problem going forward, it's just annoying as of right now where things are getting retrofitted.

Yeah, absolutely, it's just really unfortunate. I think if Valve had considered it, they would've given devs/pubs a few days notice to categorize stuff before the system went live, but, eh, what can you do?

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can just write "it didnt change much", to hide that your real opinion is "SJW destroyed the game. No more mermaid bushes!"
They resold this game to PC users (not even offering some kinda discount to owners of the original) with the only major change being a few character models got updated, a couple of idiots getting angry over censorship isn't why people are giving it mostly negative reviews. Plus this seems to be the only way SE will listen, let's not forget:

1519787565426.png

Negative reviews is the only reason they fixed the shity Chrono Trigger port. You don't do that they leave the game as is, like Nier with all its problems.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. How bad does it have to be to get mostly negative reviews on a classic like that?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Negative reviews is the only reason they fixed the shity Chrono Trigger port. You don't do that they leave the game as is, like Nier with all its problems.
Hmm, is Nier Automata that bad of a port? I was considering playing it before the Nier stuff hits FFXIV.

Am I better off borrowing a PS4 and buying it there?

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, is Nier Automata that bad of a port? I was considering playing it before the Nier stuff hits FFXIV.

Am I better off borrowing a PS4 and buying it there?
It's not TERRIBLE mind you but it has a few issues that needed fixing, SE never put out a single patch for the game since release cause it stands at Mostly Positive.

Oh wow. How bad does it have to be to get mostly negative reviews on a classic like that?

Here's a screenshot from before all the updates.

chrono_trigger_steam_04.jpg

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I want Jason Shreier to get Grayson epically drunk so that he'll confess what terrible things Valve did to him to give birth to such unreasonable hatred. And then write an expose about it.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I want Jason Shreier to get Grayson epically drunk so that he'll confess what terrible things Valve did to him to give birth to such unreasonable hatred. And then write an expose about it.
I don't think Schreier has much love for Valve either so idk what that would achieve. They'd probably end up just comparing notes.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Wrong person. They'll instead write a collaborative article about Valve bad, martye, and weaponized charity.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Atomicrops (i know i know) for $3.

Kinda hard to say no to such a throwaway price. Not sure what kind of money the dev wants to make because this is throwing your product and work away.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all know anything about Fantasy General II? I just noticed it and it sounds pretty cool.

fg2fsknc.jpg

Game seems really good, weird that nobody is talking about it. Then again, I've only seen two reviews in German so far (9.0 at GamersGlobal, 8.5 at 4Players), hope it's gonna gets some more attention.

Not sure I played the original back in the day but it feels a little like Panzer General meets Advance Wars in a medieval / fantasy setting; I'm not exactly a wargamer but it is pretty accessible, devs put a lot of effort into UI, tooltips, and stuff. Looks good and runs fine, too. I'll try to post more impressions over / after the weekend.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Atomicrops (i know i know) for $3.

Kinda hard to say no to such a throwaway price. Not sure what kind of money the dev wants to make because this is throwing your product and work away.

It's only on sale for the first day IIRC, so they are hoping they'll get a lot of impulse buys early on, similar to Risk of Rain 2 (albeit that was 2 for 1, but still came out pretty cheap if you split the cost).

Was tempted but have too many games to play this period of the year anyway.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
fg2fsknc.jpg

Game seems really good, weird that nobody is talking about it. Then again, I've only seen two reviews in German so far (9.0 at GamersGlobal, 8.5 at 4Players), hope it's gonna gets some more attention.

Not sure I played the original back in the day but it feels a little like Panzer General meets Advance Wars in a medieval / fantasy setting; I'm not exactly a wargamer but it is pretty accessible, devs put a lot of effort into UI, tooltips, and stuff. Looks good and runs fine, too. I'll try to post more impressions over / after the weekend.
Yeah I ended up buying it, myself. It's got heavy fantasy wargame vibes, but also a lot of RPG aspects too. It's actually... an SRPG! At least for the campaign.

I'm a few missions into the campaign and it seems fun. Reminds me a lot of Battle for Wesnoth in how it's set up, except the RNG isn't infuriating which is a huge plus. It seems very approachable.

If the campaign is meaty or is replayable (sorta seems like it might be, but it's hard to tell), it will be a super satisfying game overall. I'm pleased by it thus far.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

That's quite some reach the discovery tour had. I hope many of those who played through it were inspired to delve deeper into history.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
An official search function with filters similar to these offered by "Enhanced Steam" (and infinite scroll):

I remember a time when Jschackles could not get Valve to sign a contract for him to work on enhancing the store, similar to what he did with Enhanced Steam. It only took a decade for Valve to decide to improve its search options. Thanks Epic? Or just a coincidence that they are finally implementing it in 2019?

Micro-trailers for every game and tag:

*scroll*
Tip: maybe adjust your "adult" filter first.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
literally incapable of being happy about something without complaining. Really Rami?

If you look who is most vocal against Valve and who jumped first on Epic train you could notice pattern. Both Tommy from Team Meat, SuperGiant Games and Rami were there for the first wave of Indie mega hits when Steam was closed platform. They all praised Steam then and for years after. But then Valve opened doors to everyone so they weren't special anymore and competition got tough. And now they speak against Valve.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you look who is most vocal against Valve and who jumped first on Epic train you could notice pattern. Both Tommy from Team Meat, SuperGiant Games and Rami were there for the first wave of Indie mega hits when Steam was closed platform. They all praised Steam then and for years after. But then Valve opened doors to everyone so they weren't special anymore and competition got tough. And now they speak against Valve.

2/3rds of your examples have barely (if at all) released games in this new period you're referring to. Vlambeer hasn't released a game since 2015, and Team Meat since 2010. If you want to cite this reason, it makes sense with Supergiant, but not really with them. And really, 2015 was when the floodgates were already open, and it was probably Vlambeer's biggest PC hit.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Rami is releasing Ultrabugs on Steam tho (paraphrasing here, but something along of the lines of "thats where our community is, and we appreciate that")

So, he recognizes the relationship and doesn't want to burn bridges with his audience the way Epic is advocating, but resents it all the same and just generally blames Valve...for everything.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
So, he recognizes the relationship and doesn't want to burn bridges with his audience the way Epic is advocating

We don't know if Epic courted Rami. Maybe he would have accepted the moneybag, if given the opportunity.

Rami said:
A reminder that Steam's ownership of the market is so monopolistically large that even with all of Epic's spending, Steam hasn't had to worry for its position enough to even blink yet.

These are cool changes to the store though.

To me, Rami's only goal is to lower Valve's cut ("blink"). He is welcoming the cosmetic changes of the Steam library, but he was expecting other changes. That is all.

If you look who is most vocal against Valve and who jumped first on Epic train you could notice pattern.

Come on...

Also, the "most vocal" are the most well-known devs and publishers, because these are the ones whom we listen to.
Nobody pays attention to IndieDev#94857 on Twitter. For all I know, they could be very vocal, yelling at the clouds, and nobody would ever notice.

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know if Epic courted Rami. Maybe he would have accepted the moneybag.

Come on...

Also, the "most vocal" are the most well-known devs and publishers, because these are the ones whom we listen to.

From the cesspit of Steam discussion forums

Rami (adderssing questions about EGS)

ULTRABUGS will likely be available there too [EGS] in the future. If you like a developer and their work, surely it would only be good for you if they had more avenues to sustain themselves. If you don't care about our games, our ability to continue making games for the people who love our work, or the health of the gaming ecosystem for creators and consumers alike, it is obviously difficult for me to care about your opinion: I care deeply about my work, and about my community.

As such, for the moment I support these early efforts by Epic Games to create a form of competition - it will create better terms for developers, and a renewed focus on the platform by Valve. I understand this might not be an immediate concern for you, but it absolutely is to thousands of creators you love and support. Many of them might stay quiet about that for fear of backlash: at Vlambeer we've always been in favor of transparency with our fans and customers.

While we have no loyalty to any one store beyond how well it allows us to continue making games for our audience, since we have a good history with Steam, appreciate the platform, and deeply appreciate the Nuclear Throne community on Steam, we've decided to launch here first, or simultaneous - in other words: to not take any exclusivity deals. This, by the way, is exactly the sort of existing momentum that forces Epic to buy exclusivity to stand any chance in mounting the sort of competition that would break Steam's current grip on PC.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

Rami (addressing questions about EGS)

Right, he might have refused the moneybag if given the opportunity. However, that is all conditional, despite his forum post.

Rami said:
ULTRABUGS will likely be available [on EGS] too in the future.

Rami said:
we've decided to launch [on Steam] first, or simultaneous - in other words: to not take any exclusivity deals.

Rami is not clear about the alleged offer. It does not make sense to release the game "on Steam first, or simultaneous", and "likely on EGS in the future".

In hindsight, I believe Rami was making things up. First, he was unsure about what he wrote. Second, what he described is incompatible with Epic's strategy.

Rami said:
I support these early efforts by Epic Games to create a form of competition - it will create better terms for developers, and a renewed focus on the platform by Valve.

The only clear take-away from his message is that he wants to force Valve to lower their cut. This has been the recurring theme.

Even in his last tweet, he welcomes the store changes, but is unhappy that Valve has not "blinked" yet (regarding store cut) despite Epic's millions.

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

Rami (adderssing questions about EGS)
Rami: Hey, Tim. Lets talk about getting our game on your store.
Sweeny: Umm...actually your game does not meet our standards of quality.
Rami:
4o7EcAk.png

So much waffling but he never mentions actually approaching Epic for any exclusive deals. I can't even imagine what it must feel like if he did and they rejected him after all that stanning he did for them free of charge.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, that guy got pwned in that imaginary scenario, he should have seen that coming.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The only clear take-away from his message is that he wants to force Valve to lower their cut. This has been the recurring theme.

Even in his last tweet, he welcomes the store changes, but is unhappy that Valve has not "blinked" yet (regarding store cut) despite Epic's millions.

Of course they haven't "blinked" yet because what is there to "blink" about?
Wasting millions on vapid timed-exclusive deals is all the EGS has done thus far, there quite literally is nothing for valve to react to beyond offering those timed-exclusives a bigger paycheck before they sign with epic.

Valve has no worry of ever losing customers to epic because no person would actually buy a non-exclusive on the epic store over steam right now.
Just like a popular sit-down restaurant wouldn't have to worry about an ugly, stinking take-out setting up shop in their proximity.

In regards to the developers side of thing, valve has nothing to worry either because most devs will go where the customers are, not the other way around.
This is becoming increasingly obvious as everyone pops back right onto steam the moment their exclusive contract is done for, whatever revenueshare be damned.

This isn't a question of monopolies and marketshare, this is a question of a dog being all bark and no bite.
Valves only Monopoly is on customer satisfaction.

If Valve ever decides to lower their cut, it will be for the ongoing conversation and criticism of devs at large, the EGS on the other hand, will have been a complete non-factor in such a decision.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's quite some reach the discovery tour had. I hope many of those who played through it were inspired to delve deeper into history.

The discovery tour in Egypt was amazing, and now it's added to Odyssey I'm considering buying it.
It feels like the amount of amazing work and research the artists of Ubi Soft are doing for AssCreed was being wasted, and they finally decided to give them credit.
I hope at some point they'll remake the Ezio games with the same amount of care as these ones, and add a discovery tour to Rome, Istambul, San Giminiano...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying Shadow of the Tomb Raider so far. Each game since TR2013 seems to have markedly improved over the other. I continue to be surprised that this one reviewed worst of the three. The ethics around the conceit of looting ancient tombs and then using the gold you found there in exchange for goods from native peoples as well as the part where you kill endangered animals are pretty questionable, but I haven't seen that mentioned in the reviews I read.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'm really enjoying Shadow of the Tomb Raider so far. Each game since TR2013 seems to have markedly improved over the other. I continue to be surprised that this one reviewed worst of the three. The ethics surrounding the conceit of looting ancient tombs and then using the gold you found there in exchange for goods from native peoples is pretty questionable, but I haven't seen that mentioned in the reviews I read.

That later part gets subsumed by the much larger debate about Tomb Raider being colonialist fantasy, it's just a small element of much more problematic themes throughout Shadow of the Tomb Raider. This Waypoint/Vice review delves into that quite a bit.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The discovery tour in Egypt was amazing, and now it's added to Odyssey I'm considering buying it.
It feels like the amount of amazing work and research the artists of Ubi Soft are doing for AssCreed was being wasted, and they finally decided to give them credit.
I hope at some point they'll remake the Ezio games with the same amount of care as these ones, and add a discovery tour to Rome, Istambul, San Giminiano...

A discovery tour of the Ezio trilogy would be fantastic, and worth the remake alone tbh. I quite enjoyed the factoids you'd get in game about the locations and people you met.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
If you didnt read all Codex entries for collected beer bottles in " AC: Syndicate" , I do not consider you a person of culture .

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That later part gets subsumed by the much larger debate about Tomb Raider being colonialist fantasy, it's just a small element of much more problematic themes throughout Shadow of the Tomb Raider. This Waypoint/Vice review delves into that quite a bit.

Honestly, the potrayal of LC was so embarrassingly awful in the first 2 games that I doubt I'll ever touch Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Not being fond of what current Crystal Dynamics considers "Tombs" doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.