• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
giphy.gif

It's the Dark Souls of tolerance.

Yeah, I might just play through Transference and Rayman Legends, which I still don't own. Considering one of the Far Crys, but not sure I have it in me to play another big-ass open-world game for a bit.

Far Cry 3 isn't enormous. I think I did every outpost and all the main missions in about 25 hours, so it's likely beatable in much less time than that.

Thank you!

I have not properly followed the procedure because it is intimidating to remove so many screws (and thermal paste is mentioned in the video below).
However, I have done my best to remove the dust hidden in there... and it seems that it has worked.

From now on, I will monitor the GPU temperature with MSI Afterburner.
While The Witcher 3 was running, the temperature seemed to be capped at ~70°C (max over a play session was 73°C), which seems normal.
I don't have a point of reference because I was not monitoring the temperature previously. The GPU ventilator is way less noisy, so I suspect cleaning helped a lot.

I watched that video and I can say that I didn't have to do all the steps Linus did there; mainly, on the GPU I had (a GTX580, blower style cooler), I could un-screw some screws on the bottom and the plastic shroud would just come off the top (with the heat sink and fan still attached to the actual GPU). That made it very easy to clean, with no need to separate anything and no need to re-apply thermal paste when putting it back together.

I imagine it's different for every card, though I wouldn't be surprised if you put "clean <model of GPU you own>" into Youtube and found a video of someone doing it there to give you a good idea of how far you'd have to go.

Anyway, I hope things are stable for you going forward. Troubleshooting PC stuff can be such a pain.

Presice

Mar 1, 2018
I recently got back in to PC gaming. First few games I played with the mouse and keyboard exclusively. I'm now picking up GTA5 and found out I could use my xbox one controller by connecting it to the PC with a micro USB cable. The keyboard+mouse didn't seem right to me for driving around Los Santos, but the controller felt so much better. Gameplay outside of driving, like gunfights, was much easier with the keyboard+mouse. It's fun to have both input methods on my desk and switch between them however I want to. Does anyone else do this?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got back in to PC gaming. First few games I played with the mouse and keyboard exclusively. I'm now picking up GTA5 and found out I could use my xbox one controller by connecting it to the PC with a micro USB cable. The keyboard+mouse didn't seem right to me for driving around Los Santos, but the controller felt so much better. Gameplay outside of driving, like gunfights, was much easier with the keyboard+mouse. It's fun to have both input methods on my desk and switch between them however I want to. Does anyone else do this?
I do it for openworld games when driving yeah, sometimes it just feels so weird to drive with KB+M.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
well, I signed up for the uPlay+ trial. Not sure if I'll bother or not, but which out of WD2/Far Cry 3/4/5/Primal/New Dawn is most worth playing? Also, is PoP Forgotten Sands any good?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

My general rule of thumb is 1st-person/strategy = KBM, 3rd-person/racing = controller. I very rarely switch mid-game, except in Hitman whenever I need to snipe.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Does anyone use a controller on their PC in 2019?

Are you a time traveller from 2007 or something mate? How is this still a surprising thing lol :p

I'm about to blow your freaking mind btw, you can also plug in...GASP... a PS4 controller. Or a Switch controller omg the humanity.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Eh depending on the game I'd use either a controller or kb+mouse.
Games that utilize firearms/shooting a lot, those I use kb+mouse for, and rarely would I switch to using a controller.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I use a controller without aim assist for almost everything lol, only exception is the obvious crpgs. Or point in clicks which I normally play on a TV with a steam controller.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

As far as GTAV is concerned, I didn't have any issues driving with kb&m, but I'd switch to a controller when hopping into a plane or helicopter. I especially found the latter very awkward to control with kb&m.

Generally speaking, though, if a game is third-person, I'll use a controller. The exceptions are games like GTAV, where the extra precision the mouse offers can make a big difference in combat.

Presice

Mar 1, 2018
Does anyone use a controller on their PC in 2019?

Are you a time traveller from 2007 or something mate? How is this still a surprising thing lol :p

I'm about to blow your freaking mind btw, you can also plug in...GASP... a PS4 controller. Or a Switch controller omg the humanity.

haha yeah didn't think people were using controllers too often with their rigs. I think it's really cool that you can switch real time. I figured that you would have to use one or the other and have to switch between gaming sessions. But I was surprised that it worked on the fly. I've even switched during gunfights while in cover.

As far as GTAV is concerned, I didn't have any issues driving with kb&m, but I'd switch to a controller when hopping into a plane or helicopter. I especially found the latter very awkward to control with kb&m.

Generally speaking, though, if a game is third-person, I'll use a controller. The exceptions are games like GTAV, where the extra precision the mouse offers can make a big difference in combat.

One of the reasons I thought about the controller for GTA5 was that I was losing track of what the keyboard button map was for the game. The xbox controller makes is easier to remember for me.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Updating BIOS alwasy scares sh*t out of me. But i finally did it (i never updated it after those Intel flaws were discovered).

TomcatTheLion

Oct 25, 2017
First time posting in a PC gaming thread. Always lurked in the old ones but figured I'd start dropping a post here and there.

Looking to upgrade my rig in a few months (fun times since it's been a few years and don't think I can move away from 21:9) but as for games this month I've been looking forward to Greedfall for some reason even though I haven't been following any detailed news about it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I usually prefer a controller but for Subnautica I switched to m/kb because I couldn't catch any damn fish with the controller.

Updating BIOS alwasy scares sh*t out of me. But i finally did it (i never updated it after those Intel flaws were discovered).

Scares me every time.

Edit: How are people signing up for uplay+ I'm in the client and it just gives me an error page when I try.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I know what you mean. I can understand this for Netflix or DAZN, for example, because they always have this trial period.
But I thought this free trial for Uplay+ is a one time thing? Just this september. Why not just give everyone access to the free trial in this case without payment information.

Megauap

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Anyone else having problems with the button to cancel the Uplay+ subscription? Clicking it seems that does not do anything, so I can't cancel...

Oct 25, 2017
Humble RPG bundle. $1 for Hiveswap, Deep Sky Derelicts, and Immortal Planet. BTA for Tyranny, Pilars of Eternity, and Cat Quest. $15 for Borderlands: GotY edition. Never seen a bundle run for three weeks before.

Surely everybody who wanted Borderlands must already have it by now.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
While we are at Blands i must say that i never saw 3rd party key sellers push game as hard as they are pushing Blands 3.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Port Royale 4 got announced half a month ago and I am just finding out now

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It is time to see if description "Urban Far Cry" is true, i am downloading Homefront The Revolution.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

I have started Spyro for a quick test. The game looks great, and the performance is amazing (45 fps) on my old rig (below minimum requirements).

Thank you, Teeth, for pointing that hidden dust can aggregate in the GPU shroud: my PC has not crashed yet! This was the perfect timing for fixing this issue!

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

Yooka could be amazing or it could be a disaster. For a 2D platformer, it boils down to how the controls feel, and the video cannot help assess that.

I am a bit worried after noticing that the player missed the feather at the following timestamp:

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
just saw a youtube ad for EGS, advertising Ooblets and Epic's latest round of exclusives (Wattam, Eternal Cylinder, Airborne Kingdom, ect)

Must say, I'm kinda impressed EGS is doing marketing via google.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Anyone know if the savefile for Odyssey is transferable between Steam and Uplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.