• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean both Disco and Chernobylite should be good - I just hope they're not too expensive, will get both day 1 if possible.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I spent all weekend experiencing the glory of Gsync and >100fps gaming. It is truly glorious. Even had to ratchet up the sensitivity on games I used a controller with as the default setting for most titles is way too slow for such speedy rates.

Destiny 2 is just glorious on PC, I wanted to compare it to PS4 to see what gains HDR offers on my living room 4K. I hate to admit I was taken back at how awful it looked and played at 30fps in comparison. Just insane how wide the gap feels now.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I must say that I am not that impressed with Destiny 2 visuals. I am playing it maxed out and even at 4K visuals are kinda average. Art Direction is good but environments can be mixed bags. It is noticable that some areas were done by different team (Beenox and High Moon Studios if I remember correctly).

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
been so busy lately with games, playing a lot of destiny again, trying to squeeze in some more game pass games before my sub expires

although i might keep it up for outerworlds

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
I must say that I am not that impressed with Destiny 2 visuals. I am playing it maxed out and even at 4K visuals are kinda average. Art Direction is good but environments can be mixed bags. It is noticable that some areas were done by different team (Beenox and High Moon Studios if I remember correctly).
Have you played it on consoles? Or maybe the first game on consoles?
I played D1 a lot and the improvements on PC for part 2 were impressive. (The first game ran like crap on PS4)

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely looking forward to Disco Elysium. I wonder why there is no pre purchase for this. Hopefully it gets a good regional pricing here in the Philippines.
Super excited for this and I didn't know it existed 72 hours ago. Also wondering why certain games don't do pre-purchase. I know that they're not being published by Humble anymore, but I wonder what the deal is.

Don't want to search it because I am on mobile but Valve recommends no preorders for smaller titles. If you are an indie you most likely don't have the marketing budget of a game published by a big publisher and are much more reliant on other stuff. Like for example the Steam Topseller list.And if your purchases are scattered over the time when your game isn't even released then you are most likely not in the list when the popularity of your game should be/is at its height.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017

it has its flashes of brilliance but overall, even in 2017, its main strengths were the art, not the tech. i do think loading times have improved with shadowkeep too

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
So after years and years of going back and forth I am FINALLY jumping into PC gaming. Most of my friends who played on console before all jumped ship and I have just been finding excuses not to go along. What finally pushed me over the edge was going to one of my friends house and playing Destiny 2, the differences were immediately noticeable and with how much I play Destiny 2 on PS4 currently it was a good push to motivate me. Plus I have beaten the Witcher 3 at least four times and have always wanted to experience it on PC so double win.

Welcome to the ranks of the PC Master Race. Consoles are good for the convenience and exclusives (probably less of a concern this generation), but graphical eyecandies would always be the trump card of PC, provided we have good hardware of course.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Currently playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on my GBA SP and really digging it. Kinda puts me in the mood for Bloodstained.

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
eliminated for xbox, but i'd say there is a sizable amount of exclusive games on ps4 and switch that are worth buying the systems for...and i'm sure this will continue with ps5

Yea, off my mind my Horizon Zero Dawn, the God of War reboot and Bloodborne are definitely on my wishlist, but buying a console just for the few exclusives doesn't fit into my budget. I would rather channel the funds into a better graphics card. Guess it will be at least 2 decades from now before we see those games on PC, seeing that PS3 emulation is still in development. Have yet to try out PS Now, heard there may be latency issues with the service.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
and it's on gamepass too, i think i'll play it next

Yeah, I know. Though I do not really like playing games through Gamepass. Gives me this pressure that I have to play them because my subscription runs out and I need to play all the games I want. This is more paralyzing to me than looking atmy Steam library.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I know. Though I do not really like playing games through Gamepass. Gives me this pressure that I have to play them because my subscription runs out and I need to play all the games I want. This is more paralyzing to me than looking atmy Steam library.

i signed up for that $2 for 2 months deal but i think just unsub until i'm ready to play a set of games..so like binging i guess. maybe when halo 6 comes out.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Have you played it on consoles? Or maybe the first game on consoles?
I played D1 a lot and the improvements on PC for part 2 were impressive. (The first game ran like crap on PS4)

I played Destiny 1 Demo/Beta on PS4. It is an improvement for sure but for 2017 PC release is not that impressive. Game is still kinda linear experience and game could do better on technical level.

it has its flashes of brilliance but overall, even in 2017, its main strengths were the art, not the tech. i do think loading times have improved with shadowkeep too

As I said above for mostly linear experience they could do it better. And don't mention loading, worst part of the game for sure XD It is not as bad as GTA Online but it is close XD

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
What does your favorites tab look like y'all?

Is that the beta UI?

csvb3ve.png

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I increased my PC gaming in the past two weeks (with a comfy PS4 controller), I have a question regarding upgrades:
My current PC set up is:

Intel® Core™ i5-7400
GTX 1060 (3gb)
8 GB RAM
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD

All current games are always on my SSD. I still can max out some (older) games, but yeah.. Is the GTX 1060 still good? Of course I'm probably light years away of being able to use raytracing, but is it like... still solid?
Also, I have one spot left to upgrade the RAM. Should I buy another 8 GB? Would there even be a good reason for going up to 16 GB while having a GTX 1060? Would games profit a lot from it? Thanks!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Welcome new people, I hope you all stay. I hadn't realised my hellaposting was that appealing. Have some Amberpricefield.

3d31363-1.png

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since I increased my PC gaming in the past two weeks (with a comfy PS4 controller), I have a question regarding upgrades:
My current PC set up is:

Intel® Core™ i5-7400
GTX 1060 (3gb)
8 GB RAM
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD

All current games are always on my SSD. I still can max out some (older) games, but yeah.. Is the GTX 1060 still good? Of course I'm probably light years away of being able to use raytracing, but is it like... still solid?
Also, I have one spot left to upgrade the RAM. Should I buy another 8 GB? Would there even be a good reason for going up to 16 GB while having a GTX 1060? Would games profit a lot from it? Thanks!

What do you mean by 1 spot? You have a MOBO with 2 ram slots and you only have one stick, or you have 4 slots with 3 taken coming out to 8?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Have they said when it'll go live for everyone? I looked around on Google but didn't see anything besides articles on how to opt in. I did stumble across this though:

Original-steam-library-design.png

Seeing that now I kind of miss it, lmao
Ack, it hurts to look at! :D

And I have not seen anything about a date. Might be a "when it's done" thing. The updates we are getting are still both adding features people request and squashing some bigger bugs.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 ram slots and only one is used right now... I think. I will need to have a look later, but I'm pretty sure it's that way.

Then yes, a 2nd stick will be useful in pretty much all aspects. You should always dual channel RAM if you can. And it's not like it's something hard to install / migrate to a new system.

The only issue is you should ideally have 2 of the same stick, and depending on when you bought that original stick, it might be hard to find, and you might be better off just buying a new 16gb set.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, you would want 2 identical RAM sticks.

Then yes, a 2nd stick will be useful in pretty much all aspects. You should always dual channel RAM if you can. And it's not like it's something hard to install / migrate to a new system.

The only issue is you should ideally have 2 of the same stick, and depending on when you bought that original stick, it might be hard to find, and you might be better off just buying a new 16gb set.

Thanks guys. So it would be a solid upgrade, nice. And yes, yikes, because the stick was included back then. Thank you for the fast replies! Hope I find the same one at a good price, otherwise I will do as you recommended and buy a higher set at one go. Can't wait to game even better.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in Disco but it's really going to come down to reviews/word-of-mouth - I admre their ambition but there's a lot of things that could go wrong.
I think I'll likely pick it up regardless, as I love the idea and it reminds me of elements of other games that I just loved (Fallout 1/2, Planescape: Torment, etc.). It's just a matter of when, as I have so much on the go at the moment.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I wanted to build a new pc but we sell a prebuilt at my work that has an AMD processor that is compatible to a 8th gen I5. Its about 700 plus I can get 25% off with our holiday bonus discount. How much longevity could I expect out of it?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I wanted to build a new pc but we sell a prebuilt at my work that has an AMD processor that is compatible to a 8th gen I5. Its about 700 plus I can get 25% off with our holiday bonus discount. How much longevity could I expect out of it?

You really oughta get the exact specs (at the very least the exact CPU, GPU, and how much RAM, and what type, DDR3 or 4) before anyone can really give an answer on that.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
if it's compatible to an 8th gen I5 does that mean it doesn't have one in it currently?

but yeah as the other person said it would depend on what else is in it. If it doesn't have a video card and is just on board, and just has a cheap low speed 8gb stick of ram, and just a 500gb standard hard drive ect even at 25% off $700 you would be getting ripped off compared to what you could build for the same price.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
You really oughta get the exact specs (at the very least the exact CPU, GPU, and how much RAM, and what type, DDR3 or 4) before anyone can really give an answer on that.
if it's compatible to an 8th gen I5 does that mean it doesn't have one in it currently?

but yeah as the other person said it would depend on what else is in it. If it doesn't have a video card and is just on board, and just has a cheap low speed 8gb stick of ram, and just a 500gb standard hard drive ect even at 25% off $700 you would be getting ripped off compared to what you could build for the same price.
It's a Ryzen 5 3600. 8gb of DDR4 ram. Don't remember what the gpu was but I believe it was a 4gb card, which I would be replacing with my gtx1080 and I believe a 1tb drive.

and by compatible I meant comparable. sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.