• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
DQB2 is my GOTY, shame about the price but you do get all the DLC with it I suppose.

Hope it sells a bunch on Steam and they make a third.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna experience playing it but VR makes me vertigo act up so I'll likely never get the chance. At the very least, it's going to be cool to see a Source 2 game running a none Dota title.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
bCDoHC2.png

So I finished Life is Strange 2 Episode 3 - Wastelands, and I must say I really enjoyed it. It's a real step up from the previous episode, with a decent cast of supporting characters you get to spend a good chunk of time with. My complaints about previous episodes where you were briefly introduced to characters, only really touching the surface of them, that's not found here. Finn and Cassidy are the real stand outs, but the rest manage to rise beyond what could be cliched surface level characters. DONTNOD are really good at the quieter moments, creating believable characters that feel like actual people with their own wants and needs, not just skinjobs for the Sean to interact with, and they nailed that here.

Daniel's education continues to develop in interesting ways. As I said before, you're definitely having an effect on him, not just directly but little things throughout. It's tough to be a role model, especially when you want to do your own thing and hang with your cool friends. Incidentally, getting to define Sean's sexuality was hella cool, so good points for DONTNOD there.

r8vpmDQ.png

The finale was classic LiS, desperately searching for the right items to solve problems, faced with life or death circumstances, making decisions in the heat of the moment on some insane plan. Loved it, and I'm excited to see where we go in Episode 4.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm very excited for it (!), of course, but why is it titled Alyx?

Will the sequel be called Half-Life: Gordon? Half-Life: Barney?

This new Valve irks me.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
The title implies they're planning to tell new stories in the HL universe that don't revolve around Gordon Freeman, which would be pretty good news. The rumors about Alyx being the protagonist and this game taking place between HL1 and HL2 seem all but confirmed after this announcement, but we'll see next Thursday.

Would also be a very pleasant surprise if they were doing a new Orange Box, this time around releasing three new VR titles in the same package, with Half-Life: Alyx as the flagship title and two smaller VR titles.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The title implies they're planning to tell new stories in the HL universe that don't revolve around Gordon Freeman, which would be pretty good news. The rumors about Alyx being the protagonist and this game taking place between HL1 and HL2 seem all but confirmed after this announcement, but we'll see next Thursday.

Would also be a very pleasant surprise if they were doing a new Orange Box, this time around releasing three new VR titles in the same package, with Half-Life: Alyx as the flagship title and two smaller VR titles.
Yeah according to the leaked interview snippet that revealed all this, they're saying that they want to know what people think of this before commiting to more. I think they're dipping their toes with Alyx, it's a brand new world for them. But Gaben did say "we want to ship games again" and the announcement was made on a brand new "Valve Software" twitter account, I think it speaks volume.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for more HL even if I don't see myself getting VR tech ever. There will be a non-VR version eventually even if only through mods, and there's a decent chance it'll essentially revive the franchise in a practical sense.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the new Half-Life probably still won't be the conclusion of the story from HL 1 and 2 annoys me to no end, but I guess that ship sailed years ago. Oh well.

Also not into VR, but maybe Valve can change my mind.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for more HL even if I don't see myself getting VR tech ever. There will be a non-VR version eventually even if only through mods, and there's a decent chance it'll essentially revive the franchise in a practical sense.
This is how I feel about it too. I likely won't ever get VR tech because it's overly expensive and doesn't really appeal to me, and this will likely see the light of day as a non-VR version down the line if not day one

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the new Half-Life probably still won't be the conclusion of the story from HL 1 and 2 annoys me to no end, but I guess that ship sailed years ago. Oh well.

Also not into VR, but maybe Valve can change my mind.
It kind of cracks me up on how much of a massive, downer cliffhanger they left the series on. In my mind Alyx has just been sobbing into a black void for the past 12 years.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I just wanted more games with the same quality. The cliffhanger story stuff never really bothered me, as this type of storytelling clearly relies on mystery and unanswered questions to a large extent.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Dang. Half Life 2 was the game that converted me from a console player to a mainly PC player. I'm happy for Valve that they are finally doing what's basically HL3, but I'm sad for myself that it's in VR. Oh well.

I hope everyone else has an awesome time with it!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Anyone hear good things about the dell G5? I can get i7 9700k and rtx 2080 for like 1509. It's more compact though and I'm wary about it's cooling

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is messing up my backlog.

I have Bloodstained on PC, started it, then backlogged it for Gears5. Back to Bloodstained, then backlogged it for The Outer Worlds. Back to Bloodstained, now Rage 2 is making me put Bloodstained on hold again, lol. At least all these games are sub-30 hours. I hope I can beat Rage 2 in time, I've only got like 5 days of gamepass. Gonna have to marathon it.

Beat Rage 2!

Overall, more enjoyable than I expected really. I liked a lot of the missions, the encounters were pretty good. I felt like all the force-whatever powers (push, ground pound, dash) were awkwardly bound to CRTL+KEY meaning it was almost impossible to use WASD while running powers, plus there were so many guns and scrolling through them was awkward. Really feels like the game was designed around using a controller, with so many things being "hold this, to modify when you press that."

And now my gamepass is done. I beat:

-Guacamelee! 2
-Momodora: RUtM
-Metro Exodus
-Gears 5
-The Outer Worlds
-Rage 2

I played
-Middle-Earth: SoW
-Vampyr
-FH4

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Rage 2!

Overall, more enjoyable than I expected really. I liked a lot of the missions, the encounters were pretty good. I felt like all the force-whatever powers (push, ground pound, dash) were awkwardly bound to CRTL+KEY meaning it was almost impossible to use WASD while running powers, plus there were so many guns and scrolling through them was awkward. Really feels like the game was designed around using a controller, with so many things being "hold this, to modify when you press that."

And now my gamepass is done. I beat:

-Guacamelee! 2
-Momodora: RUtM
-Metro Exodus
-Gears 5
-The Outer Worlds
-Rage 2

I played
-Middle-Earth: SoW
-Vampyr
-FH4

I've been really curious about Vampyr for a long time. Forgot it was on GP. On paper, it sounds interesting, but it seems like it doesn't really work all that well in actuality. Given that you played but didn't finish it, you didn't like it?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been really curious about Vampyr for a long time. Forgot it was on GP. On paper, it sounds interesting, but it seems like it doesn't really work all that well in actuality. Given that you played but didn't finish it, you didn't like it?

It was very very wordy. I don't mind it in games like Pillars or Shadowrun where I can just read quickly, but in Vampyr all the dialog is voiced, so you have to listen to it. The thing in Vampyr is that if you press to skip dialog, it skips the whole person's speech if the dialog carries onto a second screen. So you'll see two lines for someones speech ending in a period, and you think that's the end of the dialog so you hit skip, and then you realise by context they must have kept talking. The result is that you have to listen to someone say their whole spiel. I'd say about 70% of the time their dialog fits on one screen, but you still have to sit there in case they keep talking. It really slowed down the game for me, but maybe you won't mind.

I think I may have stuck with it if I bought it, but I wanted to play those AAA games so I quit it early.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It was very very wordy. I don't mind it in games like Pillars or Shadowrun where I can just read quickly, but in Vampyr all the dialog is voiced, so you have to listen to it. The thing in Vampyr is that if you press to skip dialog, it skips the whole person's speech if the dialog carries onto a second screen. So you'll see two lines for someones speech ending in a period, and you think that's the end of the dialog so you hit skip, and then you realise by context they must have kept talking. The result is that you have to listen to someone say their whole spiel. I'd say about 70% of the time their dialog fits on one screen, but you still have to sit there in case they keep talking. It really slowed down the game for me, but maybe you won't mind.

I think I may have stuck with it if I bought it, but I wanted to play those AAA games so I quit it early.

Thanks for the impressions. I usually don't mind reading, but I do have a tendency to skip VA after a while because it inevitably drags on for too long. I'll give it a shot since I've got GP anyway, but I can see myself getting hung up on that as well.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of cracks me up on how much of a massive, downer cliffhanger they left the series on. In my mind Alyx has just been sobbing into a black void for the past 12 years.
Yeah, it's a real bummer. I was actually pretty invested in that story by the end of the DLC episodes.

And Marc Laidlaw's leak or whatever you want to call it with his story ideas for HL 3 just made it even more disappointing. Was a lot of potential there imo.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a real bummer. I was actually pretty invested in that story by the end of the DLC episodes.

And Marc Laidlaw's leak or whatever you want to call it with his story ideas for HL 3 just made it even more disappointing. Was a lot of potential there imo.
Yeah, it was really nice of him to leak it like that. Any resolution at all was very welcome.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So how good is unofficial PSVR support on PC these days?
From what I've read it's a pain in the ass to set up, and you need to buy special connections to get things connected, and psvr in general is just meh. Just save up and get an oculus quest and use oculus link and or the $20 remote desktop app. Then you can also get beat saber with custom songs and no wires that you can play anywhere :P
Why is valve obsessed with vr? its a gimmick...
because it allows for experiences that aren't possible in non vr and they are interested in such things.
I've found in general people who think VR is just a gimmick haven't played beat saber or the VR version of super hot

(this is a custom song not a default one :P)

but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.