• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order reached 20K concurrent players outside of prime time. Not bad, not bad at all.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
MQoQQqd.png

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Thought I'd give a quick look at the early state of Steam Origin integration. IMO far better than most thus far.

- Steam installs "Origin Thin", which is the same as normal Origin after it updates
unknown.png

- First time you run an Origin linked game, you need to link your EA (Origin) and Steam accounts
unknown.png

- I actually ran into a problem at this stage where the game didn't start further and was left with a look at my Origin library. So simply closed Origin and hit play on the game in Steam.

- This time, the only sign of Origin is this brief message:
unknown.png

-Then this splash screen and you are straight into the game. There didn't appear to be any signs that Origin was active on the desktop, and when the game is closed, Origin is not there. Far better than Uplay, which remains in all its bloat.
unknown.png

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
lmao at Wasteland 3 being £54.99

with inXile's track record i wouldn't pay half that

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Thought I'd give a quick look at the early state of Steam Origin integration. IMO far better than most thus far.

- Steam installs "Origin Thin", which is not the same as normal Origin
unknown.png

- First time you run an Origin linked game, you need to link your EA (Origin) and Steam accounts
unknown.png

- I actually ran into a problem at this stage where the game didn't start further and was left with a look at my Origin library. So simply closed Origin and hit play on the game in Steam.

unknown.png

-Then this splash screen and you are straight into the game. There didn't appear to be any signs that Origin was active on the desktop, and when the game is closed, Origin is not there. Far better than Uplay, which remains in all its bloat.
unknown.png
Neat.

Although I'm pretty sure OriginThinSetup is referring to something else here (probably online installer or something similar) because I've seen this several times when installing Origin before.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Neat.

Although I'm pretty sure OriginThinSetup is referring to something else here (probably online installer or something similar) because I've seen this several times when installing Origin before.

Yeah - turns out, its a thin installer, but it is just Origin. Only difference is with a linked Steam account, Origin becomes an invisible open and close thing for the game - which is much nicer than Uplay

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
lmao at Wasteland 3 being £54.99

with inXile's track record i wouldn't pay half that

I've liked most of their games, but they tend to have serious issues at launch. In this case it might be better waiting for the inevitable Director's Cut re-release.

Games are getting really expensive here now that our currency is dead in the water. It wasn't so long ago that £40 was expensive for a PC game.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Yeah - turns out, its a thin installer, but it is just Origin. Only difference is with a linked Steam account, Origin becomes an invisible open and close thing for the game - which is much nicer than Uplay
Yeah, that's definitely optimal.

One small thing I'd like for them to add is full controller support, i.e. being able to log-in and navigate the client with just a controller, so I don't have to get hold of a keyboard whenever I want to play these games.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

One small thing I'd like for them to add is full controller support, i.e. being able to log-in and navigate the client with just a controller, so I don't have to get hold of a keyboard whenever I want to play these games.

Of note, the Steam version if you look at your Origin account, is specifically marked as a Steam Version:
unknown.png

unknown.png

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Of note, the Steam version if you look at your Origin account, is specifically marked as a Steam Version:
unknown.png

unknown.png
Oh my god, this has been an issue on uPlay for sooo damn long.

Maybe not that big of a deal, but it's annoying when you have duplicates, or just can't remember where you bought the game. Good to see they're putting some effort into this implementation!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god, this has been an issue on uPlay for sooo damn long.

Maybe not that big of a deal, but it's annoying when you have duplicates, or just can't remember where you bought the game. Good to see they're putting some effort into this implementation!

Yeah. If you run the game from Origin, it will run it from Steam - with overlay and the usual Steam features. Again, far more preferable!

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- Steam installs "Origin Thin", which is the same as normal Origin after it updates
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
So, you'd still have to create a different Origin account? You can't be identified by your Steam account and that's it?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
That's some really nice integration. I hope they bring other games over soon, especially Dragon Age 2 before the decade is out. :D

Yeah think this is something we may see at the game awards.
There are also some games not using Origin at all. Will be interesting to see how the whole thing develops and matures. Particularly when Steam's Cloud Gaming service drops, which will be both Valve's own service and third party vendors - probably including EA eventually

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
OriginThinSetup is just the name of the normal Origin installer. I know because I just installed Origin to renew a Premier sub to play Jedi: Fallen Order.

Though it looks like they are *only* using Origin to keep the game updated. This is understandable as it limits the number of builds they need to support. One of the problems with so many launchers on PC is that you end up with one platform with multiple builds you need to support.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Did you know about Steam "chord" configurations? When you have a controller connected with Steam, holding the "Home" button allows you to do things like controlling the mouse with the right stick. In case you just to navigate the client to start a game or whatever. There should also be a combination to bring up an on-screen keyboard.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a meaningful change or just noise?
I would say meaningful in terms of Twich, as it just went back to the pre-Chapter 2 viewership numbers, nothing extraordinary.

The question (that nobody can answer) is how connected Twitch and game involvement are close to each other. I would say not that close to normal games (maybe in some GAAS but not all). However, looking at their revenue, Fortnite has sharply decreased this year (which is natural ss last year was wowzers) .

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-321

Hello,
we feel that the Factorio development is taking way too long. The approach "It is done when it is done" was serving us well to deliver a high quality product, but if we continued this way, we would be doing it basically forever. A lot of us don't have any problem working on Factorio for some more time, but the main problem is, that we would like to introduce new features and content instead of just polishing parts that are already present in the game. We also considered, that the game is quite polished now, and if we just pushed the button to release 1.0, it wouldn't be a catastrophe. From our perspective, a lot of things wouldn't be finished, but from the perspective of a new player, the things we are working on now are mainly nitpicks.

With this in mind, we decided to just specify a 1.0 release date publicly, so we have to stick with it. We will just focus on the most important aspects as we approach the date, and we just do whatever we have time to do. Once the 1.0 happens, we can have some rest and after that, we can finally focus on the content and features again.

The date is 25th September 2020.

Version 1.0 does not mean that development on the game will end, or that Factorio is 100% finished. When we have a better idea of what we will be working on after the 1.0 release, we will let you know.

Factoria 1.0 September 2020, will keep on updating.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Holy shit Valve...

Hentai Nazi - Anime Girl doing hitlers salute, Hitler on the banner. Just invest in people pre-checking what pages get up...

The game description is uhhh . . . Something else.

Hentai Nazi - It's not just for you, it smells like a groin, it's an unusual shooter, but to be honest, it's just a MEM game of the year, love memes? Do you like easter eggs? Do you like various jokes? Ohhh yeah, you love them. Then you just have to go to Hentai Nazi and find EVERYTHING, I repeat EVERYTHING !!!

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Hentai Nazi - Anime Girl doing hitlers salute, Hitler on the banner. Just invest in people pre-checking what pages get up...

Yes, there are some very weird games coming to Steam. Recently, I stumbled upon this game, which is not part of the adult section, and which looks edgy as well. I almost posted about it here, and then decided not to. I cannot bother reporting them: I think Valve would only care if the dev posted fake Steam reviews.

2jvxY7Y.png

eklesp

Nov 7, 2017
Thinking about getting Fallen Order on Origin prem and cancel after a month. My PC will hurt won't it? Ryzen 3 2200, RX570, 8GB mem

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'll sub to EA Premier for one month for Jedi. 15€ > 60€ /shrug

I dont think my computer will handle it very well (it's getting up there, its from the 970 hay days) but hey its 15€

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Launching RDR2 as non Steam shortcut doesn't crash game at launch anymore but Steam overlay is not launching.

Status
Not open for further replies.