• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they're not crunching or working weekends over features on their launcher it's all good, you guys.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As i said before that whole thing about crunch at Epic was silenced fast, really fast. Compare that to R* story and NetherRealm story where media was talking for days.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Got a link for this?
It is just that Fromsoft thread that has been kicking about recently. The post in question: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...oftware-this-year.115159/page-5#post-20484501

Probably overthinking that post but regardless, it is not hard to imagine Epic looking to do a smash and grab for something From related seeing as how well it does on PC.

As i said before that whole thing about crunch at Epic was silenced fast, really fast. Compare that to R* story and NetherRealm story where media was talking for days.
I think the difference is that the R* and MK crunch story had salacious bits that is easier to sell to the public. The Epic one seems mundane and less interesting which is crazy to say about people being worked to the bone.

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Wah ha ha ha har...

I just cheesed a part of Supraland that was about to make me quit the game for good.

The Hag boss battle bit. I managed to hide behind one of those shield generators on a platform. The hag was underneath and just out of view meaning it couldn't get me. I used that secondary shot function to just explode balls roughly where it was and slowly whittled it down.

I dont care at all for the combat in this game.

Its a real shame that those bits are putting me off what otherwise is a fun puzzle game.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
It is just that Fromsoft thread that has been kicking about recently. The post in question: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...oftware-this-year.115159/page-5#post-20484501

Probably overthinking that post but regardless, it is not hard to imagine Epic looking to do a smash and grab for something From related seeing as how well it does on PC.
You're overthinking it. That post seems related to the nature of their upcoming game, likely hinting that FROM's next project is a new Souls game or some sequel/successor to Bloodborne, rather than a new IP like Sekiro.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Wah ha ha ha har...

I just cheesed a part of Supraland that was about to make me quit the game for good.

The Hag boss battle bit. I managed to hide behind one of those shield generators on a platform. The hag was underneath and just out of view meaning it couldn't get me. I used that secondary shot function to just explode balls roughly where it was and slowly whittled it down.

I dont care at all for the combat in this game.

Its a real shame that those bits are putting me off what otherwise is a fun puzzle game.
Wanna know the funniest part about the combat?
You are given a (wooden) sword but your melee attacks look like you are punching with the sword's hilt or handle instead.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Some words about Epic from Rob Fearon. (And here's the Twitter thread).

Part of the logic behind buying exclusives at this early stage is to kick the larger problem of what next down the road for a bit. Covering a studio for one year of sales or whatever means nobody has to worry too hard about what happens to the game between now and a year from launch. The thing is, for anyone not having this mitigated by Epic's moneysack – what next is the most important part. How good is the store at shifting copies of games in the long run? Do we have a tail here or do games just sink?

It's probably not anything new for most of us, but the fact that Rob's an indie dev who's been around for some years and has had words about Valve and Steam makes his input a) worthwhile, and b) something the rest of us can point to and say "Yeah, but indie devs like Rob have spoken eloquently about the EGS issues, so we're not just bloody Steam fanboys".

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
The only two games that seem to have done well/ok/as expected on Epic are Satisfactory and World War Z, both are typical stream bait and it's clear the vast amount of free advertising that has been bought on their behalf has helped. The Metro situation is murky due to Epic essentially purchasing all the physical pre-orders at the last moment.

Don't see them tweeting about the massive sales of Operencia, Close to the Sun, Ashen, Hadas etc... Sunk without a trace. While the bi-weekly free games, the quality of which has dropped, get people to the store there is no evidence they are browsing, hell there aren't even videos on the store. It's almost like including features in a store, forums, activity feeds, streams (albeit not big on steam but growing) and the like keep people on the site/browser. There is nothing on Epic to keep people engaged, in fact a large part of their strategy seems to be driving people off the store, outsourcing, to other services. Interesting business strategy.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017

Metal Wolf Chaos is a Fromsoft game and will be published on PC by Devolver Digital (still no ETA on their Steam store page), so... *shrugs*

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017

It's probably not anything new for most of us, but the fact that Rob's an indie dev who's been around for some years and has had words about Valve and Steam makes his input a) worthwhile, and b) something the rest of us can point to and say "Yeah, but indie devs like Rob have spoken eloquently about the EGS issues, so we're not just bloody Steam fanboys".

Yeah, the long tail thing is something that is not being discussed a lot right now. PC gaming is known for having somewhat good sales for a lot longer than the launch period (and it was the whole problem when Valve changed their Algorithm in October/2018), and so far Epic has nothing to help with that. They are against big "sales" and have no community features to keep people engaged with the store itself. All they said about visibility is about using "influencers" and that usually happens for a very limited time. We also don't know how these exclusive games will do on Steam in a year. Will the lack of initial "hype" to generate interest on the game affect the visibility algorithm? After all valve says that people playing the game has a huge influence.

But if it's already hard enough to argue points like lack of the most basic features without people shouting "competition!!", I don't think a discussion about possible sales in a year or two is going anywhere right now. But it is something developers will have to deal, unless they expect to keep receiving moneyhats forever.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
One thing i noticed is that for example people who want to buy Hades often go and ask around in what state game is. And when you look at their Reddit page for Hades it is more-less dead. I don't know how situation is on their Discord server but asking people to follow Discord servers for every game they want to know how it is in my opinion is insane.

Meanwhile any Early Access game, hell any game on Steam you want to know about you are few clicks away. No need for account either.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Wow I just heard about Outer Wilds being the next Epic Store exclusive despite being crowdfunded on Fig and promising Steam keys. Steam store page has also been available for over a year.

They really have no shame 🤬

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I just heard about Outer Wilds being the next Epic Store exclusive despite being crowdfunded on Fig and promising Steam keys. Steam store page has also been available for over a year.

MS also gave free play anywhere copies for watching their E3 conference, which got removed/hidden for some reason...

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017

There is also this tidbit that caught my attention:

I asked my Valve contact, Alden Kroll, about this mystery and got this response

The article was written 2 years ago so back then there was already human presence between valve and developer. At this point I'm pretty sure that a lot of dev don't even know how steam works giving that one of the general complain is that you don't have someone to contact in case of problem and such

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the long tail thing is something that is not being discussed a lot right now. PC gaming is known for having somewhat good sales for a lot longer than the launch period (and it was the whole problem when Valve changed their Algorithm in October/2018), and so far Epic has nothing to help with that. They are against big "sales" and have no community features to keep people engaged with the store itself. All they said about visibility is about using "influencers" and that usually happens for a very limited time. We also don't know how these exclusive games will do on Steam in a year. Will the lack of initial "hype" to generate interest on the game affect the visibility algorithm? After all valve says that people playing the game has a huge influence.

But if it's already hard enough to argue points like lack of the most basic features without people shouting "competition!!", I don't think a discussion about possible sales in a year or two is going anywhere right now. But it is something developers will have to deal, unless they expect to keep receiving moneyhats forever.
But the Steam release a year later will give it new buzz and bring back all the things that you don't have on the EGS like the community features and long term sales. For a dev willing to risk the ire of fans this is like a dream scenario. They get to have their cake and eat it one year later.

Its like selling your stuff on a high end boutique store then bringing it to the malls to sell the the masses(and holdouts)when the sheen has come off the product.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
But the Steam release a year later will give it new buzz and bring back all the things that you don't have on the EGS like the community features and long term sales. For a dev willing to risk the ire of fans this is like a dream scenario. They get to have their cake and eat it one year later.

Its like selling your stuff on a high end boutique store then bringing it to the malls to sell the the masses(and holdouts)when the sheen has come off the product.
Except that they had better be selling it at a discount, because otherwise I'm not sure the fish will bite. I suspect that by selling it a year later, they only get long tail+ type sales, not typical launch sales.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile any Early Access game, hell any game on Steam you want to know about you are few clicks away. No need for account either.

Ahhh... the good old days where worst developer comment about the exclusivity was "Using EGS will be great for our early-access period... even though it has absolutely no features to help with user interaction".

I understand an indie developer taking the deal because it would be hard to walk away from all the money Epic is offering... but for crowdfunded games that really is very scummy. Not only it is big f*** you to the people that allowed you to be in the position to get a deal in the first place, it is also damaging future crowdfunded games...

Maybe. But there are several unknowns. How will people react if it's just released at the same price as if nothing happened? Will it have a discount or maybe some extra DLC? Does the Steam visibility algorithm only take in account short term interest or the game being off the store during the period where a lot people would have been playing or wishlisting it have an impact?

Again, this second launch and long tail sales is something developers will have to deal with, even if it's not being discussed a lot right now.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Does the Steam visibility algorithm only take in account short term interest or the game being off the store during the period where a lot people would have been playing or wishlisting it have an impact?

Actually, this is a dream scenario for Steam visibility algorithm. All the Epic Store exclusive games will be heavily favored when the purchase button appears on Steam.
  • Info: wishlists matter a lot
    • Advice: get a store page up as early as possible✅
  • Info: as the developer, you have magic tagging powers
  • Info: giving testers a beta key takes the game off their wishlist
    • Advice: set up a separate app ✅
  • Info: your user review rating doesn't affect visibility, unless it's 'mostly negative' or worse
  • Info: the release date you set in Steamworks is important, even if you hide it
    • Advice: tell Steam your game is coming out in 3019 ✅
  • Info: Steam's visibility algorithms are trying to amplify external interest
    • Advice: maximise external interest in your Steam page on launch day ✅
    • Advice: don't do pre-orders ✅
    • Advice: think carefully about Early Access ✅
Reference: https://www.pentadact.com/2019-04-10-steam-quirks-for-developers/

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Saw someone respond with this after being asked if Shakedown Hawaii had forums available on EGS like it would have on Steam (from the OT, name removed)

no, that's one of the pluses. no space to foster all the hate groups that pitched their tent on steam, throwing vitriol at devs and being nazi hang out clubs etc etc.

if you have questions, just ask here. that's what the OT is for. if you have dev questions, ask the dev on twitter.

I was dumbfounded. Imagine arguing that the absence of a feature is actually a feature??

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Saw someone respond with this after being asked if Shakedown Hawaii had forums available on EGS like it would have on Steam (from the OT, name removed)

I was dumbfounded. Imagine arguing that the absence of a feature is actually a feature??
1wbgdEe.gif

Looked up who said this and I can't say I'm surprised.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I saw that post and was gonna write a response until I let it go. Responding to stupid fucking braindead vegetables is pointless.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, going to other threads to shit on people will only lead to you guys getting a 1 day ban or so, do not do it.

People shitting on Steam Forums and reviews it is always the same, they take some outliers and think they represent the whole system, instead of the reality of them only representing a small part. The thing is that when it works it is something that you dont really give publicity to, so whenever something bad appears, it gets a lot of publicity.
Basically the whole "you only remember when you forget your keys, not the 99 other times you didnt forget them".

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
People shitting on Steam Forums and reviews it is always the same, they take some outliers and think they represent the whole system, instead of the reality of them only representing a small part.
Damn, I just realized I do the same thing.

I point to stupid-ass posts like the one that was quoted here earlier when I tell people that Era is full of idiots.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Another Ubisoft BS thing

XpgZOik.png

EFhHSFv.png

They only had to leave Ultimate Edition from the first image and everything would be fine. But in my opinion because they put Ultimate Edition they are technically lying.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Mate it is cool. Its really relaxing. You just sit in a boat on a lake, drop a line over the side. Row about a bit. Gobble down a sandwich and drink a beer. Put on your fishing hat. Switch on the radio. I love it.

That must be nice. I'd love to have a VR rig and just chill like that now and then.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Mate it is cool. Its really relaxing. You just sit in a boat on a lake, drop a line over the side. Row about a bit. Gobble down a sandwich and drink a beer. Put on your fishing hat. Switch on the radio. I love it.

That sounds absolutely wonderful. I need to go out fishing for real one of these days (been telling myself this for at least five years now).

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
That must be nice. I'd love to have a VR rig and just chill like that now and then.
That sounds absolutely wonderful. I need to go out fishing for real one of these days (been telling myself this for at least five years now).
That fishing game and this....

Are really good for relaxing. In The Blu there is a coral reef type setting and I love just sitting in it watching the fish swim by. Its nice. VR is definitely the future (if you dont get out much).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That fishing game and this....

Are really good for relaxing. In The Blu there is a coral reef type setting and I love just sitting in it watching the fish swim by. Its nice. VR is definitely the future (if you dont get out much).

Well I'm disabled so I won't be sailing or swimming in the ocean any time soon. Guess I'll just start up a new game of Subnautica.

Status
Not open for further replies.