• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
These devs that try to screw over backers with EGS keys when they know everyone wants a Steam / GoG key are a special kind of asshole.

The whole reason the game is happening is because people cared enough to give you cash upfront. It's a serious dick move to turn around and abuse that goodwill.
Hopefully consumers remember

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
These devs that try to screw over backers with EGS keys when they know everyone wants a Steam / GoG key are a special kind of asshole.

The whole reason the game is happening is because people cared enough to give you cash upfront. It's a serious dick move to turn around and abuse that goodwill.

At the very least, they should commit to a DRM free version that they'll maintain...its the least they can do.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I like these videos about successful games, in which you get to listen to the devs. Short and to the point!

About the development process:

the tricks:

and other thoughts:

Oct 30, 2017
Which is all fair enough. But in that case, where's the value of reporting it? "Here's this thing which may or may not be true. We don't know because we haven't spent 3 hours checking the sums on the Steam Market, so, hey, it might not be accurate" isn't exactly a great article. :/ Media is supposed to inform and enlighten, and this article does neither. Or, at least, doesn't do either without the reader expending time and effort to verify. Which is also supposed to be the media's job.

A journalist reports a claim made by another party that they have not verified. The reader then decides whether they will trust what that party claims is true or seek verification themselves. Expecting such verification is unreasonable due to how onerous it is for a short piece like this.

That article is fine. It situates that information within the context of other claims and issues and provides enlightenment as to its value.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
The thing i find really anoying about the whole EGS debacle is that it does nothing to fix the underlying problem.

They can claim steam is taking too big a cut (who doesn't like more money in there arse pocket), or they don't like being released alongside hentai games, or shovelware.

But there are just Too Many Games being released.

There are, what, 30 to 40 games released on Steam in a slow week. The eshop has just hit 2,000 games in something like 2 to 3 years.

But the pool of paying customers doesn't appear to be growing at the same rate. People like service games. People are signing up to Origin Access, Xbox Pass and whatever else. There are humble bundles, monthly deals, Xbox Gold and PS Plus. There are so many games being thrown at us that they can't always grab our attention.

EGS paying to have developers and publishers on the store as exclusives does not stop people like me going to steam or uplay or humble and getting games there. Also waiting a year means nothing to someone like me who is probably going to be playing Blood this weekend or Yakuza 0. Who remembers having to wait 6 months to a year for console ports. I am patient.

And thats before getting onto 30 years worth of back catalogue to acces, or emulation.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I wouldn't be surprised if future crowdfunded games are forced to specify if they will remain committed to Steam or if they will go wherever the money is.
This would be good. I've quit backing as much as I used to for now. I'm just going to wait and see how this all plays out.
Hopefully consumers remember
I hope so too.
At the very least, they should commit to a DRM free version that they'll maintain...its the least they can do.
Yeah. This is a great point. Everyone is focused on Steam, but GoG / DRM free is losing just as much with this EGS business.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Noticed WTWTLW is -50% this weekend.

Been on my Wishlist for a long while but I've been hesitant 'cause I heard that while the stories, music & voice acting are great, the gameplay can be kinda grindy.

Any opinions from the peanut gallery?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
A journalist reports a claim made by another party that they have not verified. The reader then decides whether they will trust what that party claims is true or seek verification themselves. Expecting such verification is unreasonable due to how onerous it is for a short piece like this.

That article is fine. It situates that information within the context of other claims and issues and provides enlightenment as to its value.

I mean, I don't agree, but I get where you're coming from. *shrugs* :)

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I have only played the freebie, which is all about stories, without any of the gameplay. The atmosphere is great. It is an aggregate of short stories.

Unrelated:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I have only played the freebie, which is all about stories, without any of the gameplay. The atmosphere is great. It is an aggregate of short stories.

Oh nice.

Looks like some kind of free demo with unique side stories.

Will def. check this out to see how it lands.

Thanks for looking out!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

Retro developer Mindware is working on a port/remake of the PC-88 game 'Hover Attack'.
Hover Attack was most likely the inspiration for Treasure's 'Bangaioh'.

It'll be interesting to see which direction Mindware goes for the arranged versions.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Any game that requires always online to play single player isn't worth full price purchase, ever.

Imho.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You use same character for Story and PvP that is why they want you to be always online. So if you don't care about PvP you are still forced to be always online.

And so data is easier to validate and track. Tracking what players are doing live gives great insights.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And so data is easier to validate and track. Tracking what players are doing live gives great insights.

Ubisoft already tracked what players do almost in detail since AC Brotherhood or even before without forcing users to be always online. I can't and won't support any singleplayer game that requires online connection.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi PCERA

Back and I'd like to share what PC gaming thing I've been doing.

FREE/EXPERMENTAL GAMES!!!!!!! I've been into sampling these since early 2011 and every now and then I find a new article/writer to follow regarding this.

Priceless Pay by Kat Brewster @ RPS.

Read the entire series, as each entry is focused on a theme rather than simply what is new. Therefore the quality of the entries are pretty consistently good.

A Bewitching Revolution is my favorite out of all of what I've played.
I love this kind of stuff, thanks for posting it.

matimeo

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft already tracked what players do almost in detail since AC Brotherhood or even before without forcing users to be always online. I can't and won't support any singleplayer game that requires online connection.

Engagement metric is more important than ever now. So expect more and more of the big games to go this route.

It's more impressive to show how many are actively engaging live services.

Offline engagement is harder to track. You don't get data until they sync again which could be never, you also have to do way more to validate that data.

Remember it's not just about sales, we need to show increasing numbers in engagement. Not bothering with offline gives you that boost out the gate. Simultaneous users will be at an all time high, etc.

Last edited:

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
So they can track everything I do in game? That's cool for UbiSoft I guess. But most of these games fail to justify the always online component for me. What do I get out of it? Diablo 3 requiring a connection was a real pain in the ass sometimes.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is Steam's download throttling broken at the moment? Setting it to 512 and 768 Kb/s has it act like it's 1 and 1.5 Mb/s respectively.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Engagement metric is more important than ever now. So expect more and more of the big games to go this route.

It's more impressive to show how many are actively engaging live services.

Offline engagement is harder to track. You don't get data until they sync again which could be never, you also have to do way more to validate that data.

Remember it's not just about sales, we need to show increasing numbers in engagement. Not bothering with offline gives you that boost out the gate. Simultaneous users will be at an all time high, etc.
Having reasons to want your players to be online is understandable. At the same time this is perfectly analogous to the player having reasons for wanting things, such as playing offline.

matimeo

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Having reasons to want your players to be online is understandable. At the same time this is perfectly analogous to the player having reasons for wanting things, such as playing offline.

As someone who's career has been built on representing player and user interest. You need to provide a valid business advantage to offline play.

Bottom line is the more online, the more fully engaged, the more who spend additional money into the service.

It's more development work to setup offline with very little payoff.

All I want is once the game service ends for offline mode to be added in wherever possible for archival purposes. I know some games have done this.

No business cares what you want as a consumer until they can draw the business benefits for themselves from it.

Another thing to note, potentially they have data from wildlands, and only a small percentage of users regularly played offline. Definitely see that as serving potential justification for having offline play be low pri , then eventually it's below the cut line and here we are.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's career has been built on representing player and user interest. You need to provide a valid business advantage to offline play.

Bottom line is the more online, the more fully engaged, the more who spend additional money into the service.

It's more development work to setup offline with very little payoff.

All I want is once the game service ends for offline mode to be added in wherever possible for archival purposes. I know some games have done this.

No business cares what you want as a consumer until they can draw the business benefits for themselves from it.

Another thing to note, potentially they have data from wildlands, and only a small percentage of users regularly played offline. Definitely see that as serving potential justification for having offline play be low pri , then eventually it's below the cut line and here we are.

That is why users should fight for it. Remember how PS4 crowd cheered when Tretton said that PS4 won't require online check? Rare are companies today that do something for the customers. But just blindly accepting everything that is served to you and making fun of those who oppose those things is something that i will never understand.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
LoL i just got this

J6cvpZy.png

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I won't buy online-only single-player games under any circumstances, because I've never yet lived anywhere where the internet connection doesn't disconnect occasionally, and I'm not interested in playing a game that gets interrupted by that. It's a fundamental deal-breaker.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It's generally not a dealbreaker for me but Ubisoft has a terrible track record when it comes to supporting their games long term. Just as a recent example, I decided to play through Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist and while it's nothing major it's annoying that you can't unlock certain achievements/challenges/rewards (or any at all in the case of Conviction) as well as being locked out of content because their companion app is dead and weekly challenges are long gone.

I mean I accept and understand that the muliplayer part is eventually unavailable/dead, but the singleplayer part shouldn't be affected.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
New Geforce experience drivers out

Nice!

New feature and fixes in driver 430.64:
Game Ready - Provides the optimal gaming experience for RAGE 2, Total War: Three Kingdoms, and World War Z.

Security Updates - Version 430.64 adds security updates for driver components.

Driver Fixes (For full list of fixes please check out release notes)

• Fixes higher CPU usage by NVDisplay.Container.exe introduced in 430.39 driver. [2577118]
  • [3DMark Time Spy]: Flickering observed when benchmark is launched. [200511272]
  • [BeamNG]: The application crashes when the game is launched. [2575392]
  • [Shadow of the Tomb Raider]: The game freezes when launched in SLI mode. [2575536]
  • [Hitman 2 DirectX 12]: The game crashes. [2584342]
  • The desktop flickers when videos are played on the secondary monitor. [2552316 2565509]

Nov 4, 2017
Baltimore, MD

Standard disclaimer that kickstarter and similar sites aren't a preordering service and its a gamble that you'll get anything at all.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is on sale for 33% off -- is the DLC worth it?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Standard disclaimer that kickstarter and similar sites aren't a preordering service and its a gamble that you'll get anything at all.
True enough.

However a project failing isn't the intent of the people developing the game, it is a factor outside of their control. Reneging on promises, via deliberate decisions is a very different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.