• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I was wondering why I had no issue with my Firefox addons. It turns out I allowed "studies" in my preferences, and a study fixed the issue before I could notice it.

lXzuDDC.png

Props to Mozilla.

To be honest, I think it's pretty scummy to lock the fix behind an option that sends your data to Mozilla. No official patch at this point is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Pillars of Eternity II with all the DLCs and I fear that it will be a looooooong time before we see another masterpiece like this... I really really hope MS let's Obsidian do a third game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Pillars of Eternity II with all the DLCs and I fear that it will be a looooooong time before we see another masterpiece like this... I really really hope MS let's Obsidian do a third game.
This probably sounds silly and tbh it is but whatever, but I'd be shocked if they ever made a proper RPG again, under Microsoft.

Big corporations and RPGs just don't mix.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Oh jeez, are they working on a new Fable? I never was able to get into those games.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes no sense to buy Obsidian (and InXile) if you don't plan to play to their strengths. They could get a lot more bang for their buck if they just wanted a handful of devs to toss at Forza or w/e than 2 devs not known for their polish, speed, or budgetary restraint.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The consoles do not have this level of equivalent anger in the user review era. People were pissed about Tales of the Abyss, maybe. People lost their minds about Final Fantasy VII back in the day, but by and large there are very few examples of people review bombing a game to show their displeasure of an exclusive moving from one platform to another.

The comparison isn't that Bayonetta moved because Nintendo saved it and that should make people mad. It's that people were mad and they didn't review bomb it. I'm curious why. You can say people understood that Bayonetta 2 would not exist without Nintendo and people are happy to acknowledge and understand that I will show you a hundred threads from the old country that prove you wrong. Is review bombing a case of ease of access or the cultural mores of certain digital distribution platforms? Why are they an act of protestation that only exist in one place?

Sorry for the late reply but I think this post presents a common fallacy so I thought I'd share my view. There's really no point in comparing one community with another and their different behavioral tendencies, especially when consoles don't have any tools for review bombing, or any reviews for that matter. You can simply leave a rating and that's it--it's impossible to deduce how many people are disgruntled over exclusivity, the game's framerate or anything else. Not to mention, there is really no purpose to review bombing if your message isn't getting across since a score in and of itself is useless without context.

Around 3,700 negative reviews were published for Rocket League in the last 30 days which represents almost 2% of the total 192,000. In the worst case scenario all of those reviews are part of the "review bombing" and hence have a potential impact of lowering the overall score with 2%. Is this significant enough to claim that this is a problem, or that it's a tendency only PC-players have, or honestly anything at all?

I think the term review bomb loses its meaning when people frequently refers any influx of negative reviews as bombing, but in this case I think it's something in-between. It's a lot of hyperbole and nonsense but I also share some of the concern many people are conveying. We just don't know what the future looks like and they haven't been motivated to clear things up in any capacity other than "nothing announced at this stage" which essentially means anything can happen. The userbase is healthy, with a lot of heavily invested people with thousands of dollars worth of skins or various investments so of course people will be wary when all of that is jeopardized. I don't think it's surprising in the least considering Epic's previous behavior.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It makes no sense to buy Obsidian (and InXile) if you don't plan to play to their strengths. They could get a lot more bang for their buck if they just wanted a handful of devs to toss at Forza or w/e than 2 devs not known for their polish, speed, or budgetary restraint.
Ehh... I don't believe corporations see niche appeal as a strength.

To go from Kickstarted RPGs to working under one of the Big Three will cause whiplash, no matter how much freedom they are given.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh... I don't believe corporations see niche appeal as a strength.

To go from Kickstarted RPGs to working under one of the Big Three will cause whiplash, no matter how much freedom they are given.

I mean, they bought like 6 niche developers, and they are focused on gamepass. Why bother buying 2 CRPG devs if they're not going to continue AA level development? If they're going to be on a big AAA project, they'd just buy 1 and staff them up.

Or really, they wouldn't buy either. Neither are any good at what MS would want. MS will be going for a quantity thing

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Playground will be the Fable Studio from here on out. Obsidian might help here and there, but they're likely sticking with Outerworlds or going with something else after. Since I think MS will give up that IP before it decides to make a sequel that's multi-platform as well.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
You also called me intentionally misleading after I replied to you twice. Given your tone here, I do not think I was wrong to end the conversation after your heckling.

What percentage of Steam users do you honestly believe have the review bomb protection turned off? For the vast majority of Steam users Rocket League still shows at very positive. I do honestly believe they way you said it was misleading due to the way Valve/Steam now handles off topic review bombs, especially when you knew about the off topic review bomb protection.

Do you think that review bombs are a poor way of average consumers to communicate their dislike of a policy or action to major companies? Not saying that they can't be abused, but that's true of anything and we've seen stuff like review bombing of GTA5 causing Rockstar to change their policy on GTA mods or the review bomb of Skyrim over the way paid mods were handled that lead to positive changes. How else would you suggest consumers voice their opinion in a way that will be as noticeable to major corporations?

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just for clarity. Playground is staffing an entirely new project team for Fable. Horizon devs remain on Horizon.

This process had started before the buyout as they were wanting to expand beyond the Forza franchise while also delivering on prior commitments to Microsoft.

Oct 27, 2017
With regards to PC gamers being more angrier than console counterparts. To be fair we have to put up with a hell of a lot of shit from the industry, We have been told countless times our preferred platform is dying. We are constantly treated like an after thought and secondclass customers by most devs and we have had companies like Epic basically jump ship, give us the middle finger and call us all fucking thieves. Now things are not so rosy in the console market we have Epic coming back and trying to buy it's way into a monopoly and destroy the company that stayed behind and committed itself to supporting the PC platform, yet for some crazy reason valve is the bad guy here and Epic are the poor hard done by guy that keeps getting picked on by review bombers and nasty Twitter posters.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Any handy to have apps off Steam like Wallpaper Engine, 3DMark etc?
  • DisplayFusion is essential if you have an ultrawide monitor or multi-monitor setup in my opinion, and it typically gets heavily discounted in the sales. It has an extremely long list of features that significantly improves window management no matter what your display setup is.
  • Lossless scaling is a good way to play games that have a fixed resolution full-screen without blurring, so long as they support windowed mode.
To be honest, I think it's pretty scummy to hide the fix behind an option that sends your data to Mozilla. No official patch at this point is unacceptable.
I don't think they're trying to hide anything, it's just the fastest channel for them to get the fix out to people considering that it happened at midnight on a Friday.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fable was always terrible, a series built around Peter Molyneux promising the world and delivering underwhelming mediocrity.

hate to see a studio like Obsidian get lumbered with that.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Fable was always terrible, a series built around Peter Molyneux promising the world and delivering underwhelming mediocrity.

hate to see a studio like Obsidian get lumbered with that.
Please read above comments playground games new team is rumored to be working on a Fable game. Obsidian is likely going to be working on a new title.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
With regards to PC gamers being more angrier than console counterparts. To be fair we have to put up with a hell of a lot of shit from the industry, We have been told countless times our preferred platform is dying. We are constantly treated like an after thought and secondclass customers by most devs and we have had companies like Epic basically jump ship, give us the middle finger and call us all fucking thieves. Now things are not so rosy in the console market we have Epic coming back and trying to buy it's way into a monopoly and destroy the company that stayed behind and committed itself to supporting the PC platform, yet for some crazy reason valve is the bad guy here and Epic are the poor hard done by guy that keeps getting picked on by review bombers and nasty Twitter posters.

I see it, that Console gamers are more approving or resigned on anticonsumer bullshit.

PC gamers were "more angry" at paid online. PC gamers don't have any paid online while all 3 consoles have it now.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I thought the regular Headless were difficult. But the underwater versions are even more disorienting.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
While looking for information about Griftlands, I stumbled upon this article published in January about the most anticipated games of 2019.

I like the part about Ori and the Will of the Wisps:

John: That this will inevitably be cursed by being only available on the godforsaken Windows Store is so crushingly miserable. It's like composing and recording the most beautiful aria, and only ever broadcasting it over a tinny speaker in some rancid public toilet.

Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend has been picking a game to spectate me playing recently, as she finds some stuff relaxing to watch. We beat Slime Rancher (after a month or two, since she only dedicates a couple of hours at it every so often), and now she's picked to spectate me playing Assassins Creed: Origins. First time playing. I'll never see the end of the game with this style of playing.

Pray for me.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
My girlfriend has been picking a game to spectate me playing recently, as she finds some stuff relaxing to watch. We beat Slime Rancher (after a month or two, since she only dedicates a couple of hours at it every so often), and now she's picked to spectate me playing Assassins Creed: Origins. First time playing. I'll never see the end of the game with this style of playing.

Pray for me.

Make a youtube channel out of it and call it girlfriend reviews :>

But what about playing something like Life is strange.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Anyone else unable to login to origin? I was gonna play a bit of battlefront II after I bought it on star wars day. But it seems to be down. doh.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Was Mordhau expected to be this popular? I think I was aware of its existence before it launched but never thought it'd be blowing up like it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.