• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
They probably still have the strange(?) issue where they are limited on how much games they can add to the store. So any non-exclusive game takes away a slot for exclusive games.
Strange in some ways, not strange in others. Adding games to Steam required a lot of manual work for a long time, which is why Greenlight acceptances were a trickle at first. Over the lifespan of Greenlight they streamlined the process to the point where there's now no rate-limiter needed. So it's not strange that a store would only be able to add so many games due to cumbersome manual processes, but it is strange that Epic built it this way despite having Steam as an example. It's like they want EGS to be exactly like Steam circa the mid-late 2000s, including the stuff that sucked.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
What's the deal with Quiet Man? Only recently built a PC and never heard of this game, but the steam reviews seem to kill the game. But, I've seen a lot of ppl say it's not bad...

It's a hidden gem but you need 2 playthroughs to fully appreciate it.

Also the challenge I suggested is humanly impossible

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
This is my personal Twitter and I use it to post personal thoughts. Likening it to FOX News is a cheap and inaccurate shot. The last time I personally wrote anything about Epic Games Store for the website, it was this:

"As previously suggested, Borderlands 3 on PC will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store, but Gearbox has clarified it will only be exclusive until April 2020. If you're willing to wait, it should hit other services six months after release. Obviously the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions are not affected by this."

I fail to see how that is a questionable journalistic practice.

The bolded are statements I made in reference to the Era stance on criticising games media vs "normal" media. If you want the relevant posts I made towards yourself - and I assume you do because you're replying to me - then

This is the thing that gets ignored:

People ask "Should a reviewer who's not good at games be trusted?" or "Should a reviewer who's not completed a game give it a score?"

No-one asks "Should someone who lacks reporting, journalistic and analysis skills and a basic awareness of an area of the games industry be given a senior position on a website?" And this isn't calling Imran specifically out - I could name 4 or 5 sites that have people who think they're being smart when they really don't have the first clue.
( post )

and
I think the whole environment - here and in the PC space generally - would be much improved by just banning (officially or unofficially) random Twitter opinion posts from people who are just drive-by'ing or pushing a narrative. Like, I see no real difference in actions between that Twitter dude ^ and Glenn Greenwald - they both push a narrative through either ignorance or arrogance that ignore genuine concerns in favour of disingenuous clickbait. Which is not to say that Game Informer (or The Intercept wrt Greenwald) is necessarily bad, but that nothing is gained by giving shitty takes a platform.
( post )

Both of which, I stand by. The fact that it was your personal Twitter makes the second quoted block (which was actually my first post on the matter) far more relevant. You can absolutely say anything you wish on Twitter, but that does not mean people need to come in here and post it - signal-boosting your personal views on a highly contentious subject (views which I personally find skewed, but regardless) does nothing for the conversation here but push your narrative to more people.

This comes across as very stony, but I mean no ill will. So here's a smiley. :)

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure.

But by and large I view this as an outside observer. The things that personally interest me about the Steam/Epic war are the business sides of things and the reactions of the consumer base. Review bombing in particular has become a thing I monitor because so many developers complain to me about that specifically
You can tell developers that when a customer makes a purchase on steam he gets the right to post a review (positive or negative) or not post a review. And then change the review for whatever reason whenever.
Also you can ask Epic the fuck this supposed to mean:

u65HqNY.png

Don't know such gaem.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So ehm, I just booted up Firefox and none of my extensions are working and as a result I can't seem to browse anything besides this thread. What on earth is going on? 😮

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
bit of a fool's errand to even ask this here but fuck it, let's try. What is the one game that would / will make you use EGS, if you dont already of course. I dont really have a horse in this race, I havent used it yet, I would rather not if only for convinience sake, but I'm not exactly opposed to it (or any launcher) if I REALLY have to (the whole "guess ill never play that game" thing...yeah no, fuck that if its something I love).

And unfortunately I have a strong feeling I'll have to later this year with... Torchlight Frontiers. I'm 99% sure they will snatch it up, and thats one of those games I really REALLY want to play (or at the very least try).

An obvious anwser would also be "any Souls game" but I dont think those would happen. And I would probably elect to play them on console if so, since my PC is getting up there in age anyway, Sekiro was already struggling (in fact, I'll probably do just that with Blands 3, I havent decided yet)

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
bit of a fool's errand to even ask this here but fuck it, let's try. What is the one game that would / will make you use EGS, if you dont already of course. I dont really have a horse in this race, I havent used it yet, I would rather not if only for convinience sake, but I'm not exactly opposed to it (or any launcher) if I REALLY have to (the whole "guess ill never play that game" thing...yeah no, fuck that if its something I love).

And unfortunately I have a strong feeling I'll have to later this year with... Torchlight Frontiers. I'm 99% sure they will snatch it up, and thats one of those games I really REALLY want to play (or at the very least try).

An obvious anwser would also be "any Souls game" but I dont think those would happen. And I would probably elect to play them on console if so, since my PC is getting up there in age anyway, Sekiro was already struggling (in fact, I'll probably do just that with Blands 3, I havent decided yet)

I was thinking about this the other day and I can't think of anything (That's within the realm of possibility). The obvious answer would be "Dino Crisis 4" but EGS seems unable to garner any Japanese support for the platform currently. Japanese titles as a whole are the biggest thing that might make me bother.

Sure would love a new Unreal Tournament in active dev though.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

I'm kind of in a privileged position on this one. Because my answer is:

There is no game that would make me use EGS in it's current form combined with EGS's current business practices (the latter of which are more important to me than the status/feature-set of the client). If it's a multi-platform title and goes EGS exclusive on PC, I'll buy it on PS4. If it's PC only, I'll go without. I know owning a PC and PS4 means I'm privileged compared to some others, but at the same time, I'm 40 years old. I have enough games I can play - and enough other things to do with my time - that I'm literally never going to buckle on this, because I don't need to.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm better off playing the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games on 360 instead of PC, correct?

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

I can wait a year until it's on Steam or, if it's a multi-plat, I'll just get it on PS4.

Let's see what they do with Rocket League, though. If that goes exclusive and they pull support for the Steam version, I'll probably have to begrudgingly use the client. At least, I assume, they'll make it F2P so I don't have to throw any money at Sweeney.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ghosts of the Precursors, the real new Star Control game that is being developed by Fred and Paul (assuming the lawsuits go correctly) would make me sign up for any service or buy any kind of hardware to play it. I don't think anything else would. There are a couple of games I want to play that are currently on the EGS but I don't want to play them enough to support the Epic stuff.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017

There is no game that will make me use EGS. I already have a massive backlog and there are so many good games to choose from, so there's no need for me to use EGS.

Oct 25, 2017

The only game I can think off right now that would really sting would be XCOM 3 for me.
Or Divinity OS 3 but that's.....don't do this to me Larian, okay?

Oct 27, 2017
bit of a fool's errand to even ask this here but fuck it, let's try. What is the one game that would / will make you use EGS, if you dont already of course.

Tim ............ Timothy Sweeney is that you again trying to add things to your shopping list ;-), just kidding. The only game I think that would give me pause for thought about installing EGS is probably GTA 6. I am a huge GTA fan with thousands of hours in GTA 5. Hell I even bought a Xbox 360 once just so I could play GTA 4 (and regretted it). But at the end of the day I probably wouldn't do it even if it was GTA 6. I have tried other launchers and stores, but the problem is I never keep them running. So everytime I launch the store there is usually a huge arse update waiting for me to download before I can play the game. Usually when that happens I say "ah sod it" and go back to steam and play something else.

On the other hand steam is always running, my games are always up to date so if I fancy playing something I can start straight away. So I don't think there is really any game that could entice me to EGS. Even if it is a game I really wanted to play I know playing it on EGS would be a lesser experience so I would be wasting my money buying it.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

there is no game

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

nothing.

Which is not to say there is no game that I would be interested in, but I think that some things are more important.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So ehm, I just booted up Firefox and none of my extensions are working and as a result I can't seem to browse anything besides this thread. What on earth is going on? 😮
Yeah that was messed up. Same happened to me. Still can't download new extensions yet. I mostly use other browsers but happened to be using FF today to experience this. I use it for my work during the week though, so I hope they get it fixed by Monday.

IamAwake

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know why "Steam Common Redistributables" keeps showing up in my client? I can uninstall it, but it comes back if the client restarts.

2qaml3l.png

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I've never installed EGS yet so far

but maybe Borderlands 3. haven't decided yet for sure

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I've been redeeming the freebies ( already had the majority of them on Steam / GoG ) but there is no way I would ever buy anything from Epic. Their behavior has been a total turn off. There isn't a game out there that I couldn't wait an extra year for.

I was super hyped for Metro and The Outer Worlds, but it's a matter of principle for me at this point. I already have more games than I could play in my lifetime.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
A game I wanted to play. It doesn't really need a specific example IMO; if a game is exclusive and I want it, I'll buy it.

I don't anticipate it happening, but I'm not really that concerned if it ever does.

Does anyone know why "Steam Common Redistributables" keeps showing up in my client? I can uninstall it, but it comes back if the client restarts.
It's how they handle the dependencies now (games that need VC or .NET redist and such).

I assume there's some benefit to doing it this way (it used to just be invisible stuff handled on a per-game basis). I think there's a way to make it hidden, but it's always going to be there if you have games installed.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
More or less. Easier to get a hold of and they don't run THAT bad.

Oh, right. I was thinking they were still on steam. I've must have been thinking of the console remasters, which I've heard are crappy.

I'd like to play the X-men legends games - I could unpack my old Xbox if I really wanted to, I guess.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Literally nothing, they've pissed me off enough that I'd cut my nose off to spite my face regarding their store

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I buy games on EGS, but I wish I could get the games anywhere else to be honest, I think EGS and Tim et crew are horribly shady and dishonest, I have nothing but respect for those of you that won't do it.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

2qaml3l.png
I don't know what it's doing with your games, but that's where Steam puts redists, the things that install when a game is run for the first time.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Are you sure you're not Tim Sweeney? 🤔

...but it would probably be Souls for me too. I simply can't skip on Dark Souls 4 on launch or whatever they'd chose to make.

However, all the games they've grabbed so far have been easily skippable for me personally. The Outer Worlds is probably the biggest loss but I just can't justify using EGS due to the security concerns; I don't trust them with my details, money or anything really.

If it's singleplayer it'll likely be the same experience one year following the EGS release anyway, if not better? I can wait.

2qaml3l.png
You can hide it by entering detailed view and clicking "hide" under "Categories".

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
sidenote: I had no idea The Outer Worlds was EGS exclusive. Thats the Obsidian joint right?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Unreal Tournament 4. It's sad Fortnite won with the masses.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I actually don't have the option to hide it. Only add as a favorite or uninstall. It's quite odd.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough! You need to press "Set Category..." when in detailed view and then "Hide this game in my library".

You'll find the "Set Category..." to the right in this screenshot, beneath all the links for store page and such:

Details_ModernWarfare2.jpg

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
will that be on Windows 7? I haven't switched to 10 yet

As noted above, Win Store is Win 10 only. Something else to mention is that the Steam Store page for Outer Worlds notes in the System Requirements that a 64 processor and OS is required, whilst the EGS page has no System Requirements listed yet. Obviously this may change (or the Steam Store page is just outright wrong), but depending upon your system and version of Win 7, it may not run for you anyways.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Windows store is only Win 10. I assume egs works on windows 7. Just a fair warning official Windows 7 support from MS ends January of next year.
As noted above, Win Store is Win 10 only. Something else to mention is that the Steam Store page for Outer Worlds notes in the System Requirements that a 64 processor and OS is required, whilst the EGS page has no System Requirements listed yet. Obviously this may change (or the Steam Store page is just outright wrong), but depending upon your system and version of Win 7, it may not run for you anyways.
drats.

I definitely have 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, and a 4690k and 1070 ti

I'm just too lazy to convert to Win10 yet

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG

My computer won't accept crappy stores.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It feels appropriate to hear this from a Kathy Rain avatar because that's the game that set me down the PC gaming path, heh. Playing through that on my cheapo laptop last December made me realize that I will miss out on a whole world of interesting games that will never come to consoles if I didn't get a decent gaming PC.

I've played the first on Xbox 360 years ago. Will I notice a significant difference? Five bucks seems like a steal.

This is very helpful! Thank you so much for this post. I have signed up for Humble Monthly last week and I'm happy with what I got even if the rest of the thread is a little underwhelmed. I'm guessing I'm still in the big honeymoon phase of my PC. I also Fanatical earlier in the year and have been snagging cheapo bundles over the last couple of months while I saved up for my PC parts so I have a decent sized library already, which feels good and bad, heh. Here's my steam username in the proper format, I think. FrumpleOrz (Edit:I think I fixed it)

I'm lucky that I'm a cheap bastard so I rarely buy anything at full price.

Thanks everyone for the advice and being so welcoming!
The recent humble unlocks are a little interesting
Journey down is a nice and decent point and click adventure game, ep. 1 and 2 have gone on sale multiple times and i recommend them if u like pncs.
Finding paradise is the 3rd game after To the moon and a bird story, both of which are light adventure games.

On fanatical, they have some decent $1 offers
https://www.fanatical.com/save-more/dollar-legends

Broken sword 1 and 2 are good pnc classics and glass masquerade is a relaxing jigsaw puzzle game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Frump I mean if you are literally just starting out your Steam / PC collection, I have 357 thousand unused keys you can have if you want >_>

Oct 28, 2017
You can tell developers that when a customer makes a purchase on steam he gets the right to post a review (positive or negative) or not post a review. And then change the review for whatever reason whenever.
Also you can ask Epic the fuck this supposed to mean:

u65HqNY.png

Don't know such gaem.

Is that real? It looks like propaganda.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frump I mean if you are literally just starting out your Steam / PC collection, I have 357 thousand unused keys you can have if you want >_>
I appreciate the offer but I feel they'll have more use to someone else! I've already got way too many games to get through on my new computer, some which have been sitting in my library unable to be played for years because my laptop couldn't run them. I'm set for a while, I think! Thank you though!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the offer but I feel they'll have more use to someone else! I've already got way too many games to get through on my new computer, some which have been sitting in my library unable to be played for years because my laptop couldn't run them. I'm set for a while, I think! Thank you though!

welp, in the limbo they remain then /shrug

wasnt there someone that literally just got into pc gaming recently? who was it? annoys me to have all those keys wasted.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

The next proper Legacy of Kain title.

Status
Not open for further replies.