• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Removing the game from Steam is a dick move but whatever, it's not a new game I can live with that.
Buying devs to actually (presumably?) make games for the EGS is preferable to just moneyhatting them away from Steam.
When Microsoft does a better job in the PC market space than you, you know you fucked up.

Why should Valve even let them further profit off their userbase if Epic decides to pull the game from Steam?

Because Valve also profits from this sales and they probably aren't childish enough to not let them sell stuff there anymore.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Well, I always said if Epic owned the developers, I wouldn't have a problem with the games they funded being exclusive on EGS. I'm guessing enough people have purchased Rocket League on Steam by now that it won't be too big of a deal, but I'm sure if there was any sort of Rocket League 2 in the works, it will now be exclusive on EGS.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
So heads up to anyone that preordered rage 2 on cd keys I just sent this request in

And got this response

I got a refund but you may want to contact them if you've preordered this through them

Yeah I brought this up a few weeks back and I figured this would be the case but good to get it confirmed.

Going forward if you buy a Bethesda game from a key seller i would just go ahead and assume it's gonna be a Bethesda key and if you want the game on steam, you just have to buy directly from steam.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Valve also profits from this sales and they probably aren't childish enough to not let them sell stuff there anymore.

And because if Valve were the one to cut it off it's basically like telling the 50k concurrent players to go elsewhere. If the DLC remains in Steam, the players do too and are more likely to spend elsewhere.

There's no way Rocket League's functionality will be different when it comes to DLC / MTX. I wouldn't doubt it if they ended up making you get an Epic account or something though..

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Removing the game from Steam is a dick move but whatever, it's not a new game I can live with that.
Buying devs to actually (presumably?) make games for the EGS is preferable to just moneyhatting them away from Steam.
When Microsoft does a better job in the PC market space than you, you know you fucked up.

Remember EA went Origin exclusive but they didn't remove their released games from Steam. They even allowed you to redeem your keys (that you got in Steam) on Origin, and if you couldn't do that their support would just add it to your account after you provided them proof of purchase. F-ing EA did better job than Epic.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah I brought this up a few weeks back and I figured this would be the case but good to get it confirmed.

Going forward if you buy a Bethesda game from a key seller i would just go ahead and assume it's gonna be a Bethesda key and if you want the game on steam, you just have to buy directly from steam.
Yeah when I bought it said it was Worldwide and was only 49CAD but now it's region locked and NA one is more than I can get it on humble with my 10% off. Figured would be Bethesda key but CDkeys had told me before I bought it when I emailed them it would be steam and was worldwide. Sorta annoyed by the bait and switch

Oct 25, 2017
Remember EA went Origin exclusive but they didn't remove their released games from Steam. They even allowed you to redeem your keys (that you got in Steam) on Origin, and if you couldn't do that their support would just add it to your account after you provided them proof of purchase. F-ing EA did better job than Epic.
Really, the big difference is that those companies cared about looks.
Epic is basically trying to power through this on the back of Fortnite. Bad PR? Who cares, as long as Fortnite still makes billions.
And then a couple of years from now when Fortnite might start slowing down hopefully (from their perspective) they already got enough users this way and people hopefully won't remember what shit they pulled. Then you start making a couple of nice gestures and people will be like "See? They are cool!"

I really wonder if Valve is going to react at all. People (rightfully) talk a lot about how much money Epic makes from Fortnite but I imagine Valve also makes a pretty penny from Steam.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Wasn't Kerbal devs bought by 2K?

I don't know. I remember something about Valve, and found this article:

Two of the Kerbal Space Program developers who joined Valve in 2016 have left the company. As of May 2017, former KSP community Kasper Nahuijsen and producer Jose Palacios were said to have been at Valve for about six months, according to former Valve designer Roger Lundeen. They are thought to have been joined at the company by up to six other former KSP developers.

It now seems, however, the the pair have left Valve. Nahuijsen's LinkedIn profile states that he is now a senior software development consultant at a Netherlands-based consultancy. Palacios' profile is unavailable at time of writing, but reports suggest that he too has left the company.

The pair joined Valve alongside Ted Everett – who worked with them at KSP developer Squad. According to Valvetime, Everett seems to have remained with the company, along with five other former Squad employees who were thought to have joined Valve at the same time as Nahuijsen and Palacios. After leaving Squad, the three went on to found a new company, Seven Headed Studios.

There's little evidence as to what the group have been working on since joining Valve, but Nahuijsen's LinkedIn references "production and product ownership for an as of yet unannounced multi-platform video game."

Apparently, up to six KSP devs are still at Valve.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got Caves of Qud after being skeptical for a while. To my surprise, it is really good. It's a really good time for roguelikes, stuff like Cogmind, CDDA and Caves of Qud all manage to be very different in gameplay mechanics while keeping the roguelike formula and being really amazing experiences.

Qud is absolutely beast.

Really passionate dev too as the game has seen weekly content updates religiously every Friday since landing on Steam in 2015.

Only other title that comes close is Star Traders: Frontiers that has seen 145 content updates from late 2017 to present.

Anyway, I remember reading a great Caves of Qud quick-start guide if you're looking for some opening tips as the game can be pretty intimidating. Link is dead for some reason but I had a copy of it on my hdd.

(This guide contains very minor spoilers, which really shouldn't be spoilers, they should be shown to you immediately upon loading the game up, right on the goddamn main menu screen, and then maybe guides like this wouldn't be necessary.)

Until recently, my experience with Caves of Qud had been limited to purchasing it, installing it, being dropped in the middle of god-knows-where with a bunch of crazy crap on the screen, pressing the "go north" button 100 times and dying for some reason I couldn't understand. Then I'd try going east 100 times, and I'd die for some reason. Then west. Death. Sou--DEATH. It was like some overly-convoluted, less enjoyable version of Annoyotron. Eventually I realized there were a couple of "introductory" quests you could sign up for on the first screen. I attempted them about twenty times, and on the rare occasion I was able to actually find any of the places they were telling me to go before I died, I would die shortly thereafter, surrounded by a bunch of blinking characters and inscrutable stats and gobbledygook. Then I said, "f*ck this", and uninstalled it.

Caves of Qud is an incredible game featuring a massive, bewilderingly creative world to explore, which is almost impossible to do, because though it's been in development for nearly a decade, it still does such a phenomenally woeful job of welcoming new players that I am sure my story is a common one, and Qud remains uninstalled on computers all over the world because of it.

So over a year later, I reinstalled and committed to finally figuring out what the hell was going on. I did this because the idea of the game -- a huge world in a far-future semi-dystopian science fiction setting -- still appealed to me, and I did love the pseudo-retro look of it, and I paid the $10, so goddammit I'm gonna figure this out. I scoured everywhere I could for tips and help. And I died a lot. But every time it'd take a little longer to die, and eventually I was able to complete the intro quests, and then it really started to click.

But I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, so this guide is my attempt to help kickstart your enjoyment of the game, if you want to get down with the Qud, and get down in them Caves.

1. UNDERSTAND THE GAME WORLD.

As soon as you get into the game, hit the "<" key to go to the world map. I didn't even realize there was a world map a year ago. It is then that the scope of the game begins to hit you. The (fixed) world map fills the entire screen, and you're in a single square way down in the southwest. You can traverse the world without ever going to the world map, and you definitely should explore that way for a while, just to see how amazingly huge the game is.

On the world map, hit "l" to go into "look" mode and just arrow-key your way around it for a while, looking at the names of the various locations. Most of them are generic, but sprinkled around are special locations with specific names ("Rust Wells", "Asphalt Mines", etc.), which you can (and must, for quests) visit and see what's up. And in between these special places, vast, varied lands of unknown to explore. And this is just on the surface. If the game took place only on the surface, it would still offer a full, seemingly endless experience.

But beneath every square of that world map is also an infinite labyrinth of caves. If that doesn't get your roguelike juices flowing, I can't help you.

I say this not so much to sell the game to you as to deal with one of my first questions -- where the hell are the "caves" in "Caves of Qud"? What do you do? Where do you go? Well, the answer is, pretty much anywhere. If you wander around the surface enough, you WILL come across cave entrances, both at the "special locations", and also randomly all over the place. They are not as easy to find as I would have thought, though, which led to my initial confusion. Unlike a game like ADOM, where the overworld is just a convenient way to move from dungeon to dungeon, the "overworld" here is just another (humongous) level of the game world. So walk around. You'll find one. Then you'll find another. Life is in the caves, the rest is just waiting.

2. BUILD A GOOD STARTING CHARACTER.

Do not "create random character" at first, no matter how much you want to. The character creation screens are complex and daunting, but there is a way to build a simple character easily that will let you get into the game without dying immediately.

The idea is to build a "big dumb fighter guy". There are two kinds of characters you can build. One, "mutant humans" gives you a wide array of special, crazy mutations you can choose, and while these are surely a blast to play around with, it adds unnecessary complexity when you're just trying to go 100 squares without dying at first. The other category, "True Kin", just means, regular old dudes. So choose this.

Then choose your big dumb fighter stats. This means put most of your attribute points into STRENGTH ("Hulk smash!") and TOUGHNESS ("Hulk not get smashed!") We're just looking for a lumbering oaf with a big sword who can walk around bashing things and not running out of hit points. That's it. On the next and final screen, choose a caste that looks good to you. "Praetorian" offers more bonuses to strength and toughness, and makes you good with swords. Doesn't get much bigger, dumber, or fighterer than that.

3. HIT F1 AND DO WHAT IT SAYS UNDER "10 THINGS YOU SHOULD DO WHEN STARTING..."

That little help screen is the game's only attempt to be helpful, and while it is completely and utterly inadequate, it's still good information and advice, particularly the very first thing about assigning hotkeys to your abilities. In particular, make sure you map "sprint" to something easy to remember, because it is going to be your main escape method when you realize you are in over your head. Do not be afraid to use "sprint" early and often.

4. DO NOT DO THE STARTING QUESTS RIGHT AWAY.

In the first screen, you'll meet two guys, a farmer who wants you to go to Red Rock to figure out what's eating his crops, and a machinist/tinkerer guy who wants you to go fetch him a bunch of stupid sh*t from the Rust Wells. It's a common refrain among in-the-know Qud players that the Red Rock quest is a bit of a "trap", not meant for brand new characters. But frankly, they're all traps, and if you try to do either of them right away, you will probably end up uninstalling the game (again).

Instead, just go out into the wilderness, get comfortable with the surroundings, bash a bunch of crocodiles on the head with your big sword, and gain a few levels. I'd suggest getting to at least level 4 or 5 before trying the quests. You can succeed at them earlier, but the less stress the better.

5. LEAN ON THE "ALT" KEY.

Perhaps the most important key in the Qud keyboard, holding down Alt shows the current screen in a simplified, color-coded layout, the most important colors being green and red.
NPCs/monsters/plants who are friendly are show in green, and those that are hostile (yes, there are hostile plants) are shown in red. Check it often to see exactly 1) where there are monsters, and 2) whether you need to worry about them or not. Without this, there is so much going on in every screen, particularly on the surface, that it can be hard to tell exactly who is where, and makes it real easy to die before you knew you were in trouble.

6. LEAN ON THE "L" KEY.

Once you have identified hostiles with the Alt key, use the l)ook command to see exactly what's going on with them. Particularly, it will show you how dangerous they are to you at the moment ("Trivial", "Easy", "Medium", "Tough", "Impossible", etc.) Anything "tough" or above, think twice, and if they're coming after you, remember when I said to use "sprint" often? This would be a good time.

7. LEAN ON THE "W" KEY.

If you take nothing else away from this guide, take this: Never, never, ever, nevereverever hold down a movement key to go in one direction quickly. Something eventually WILL jump out at you, and WILL kill you before you even realized there was anything there, as the status messages scroll crazily up the screen reporting your injuries until the "You died" window pops up. If you want to move a long distance in one direction, hit "w" first, and then hit the direction key. It will keep you walking in that direction until something happens or you see something (like an enemy) worth stopping for. Do it. You can also hit "0" to auto-explore the entire screen, which is also fine. Just never, ever hold down a mov-- well, I can't say it any more clearly than I already have.

8. LEAN ON THE "~" KEY.

The tilde key is the default key mapping for "rest until healed". Do this a lot. Don't go into danger without full HP unless you absolutely can't avoid it. In combination with the "sprint" ability (remember that, from a few other times I mentioned it in this guide?) you will almost always be able to survive and fight another day. Run away, hide, heal. Sounds like common sense, but in the heat of battle, pride and/or forgetting about it can kill you long before you needed to die.

9. REMEMBER TO LEVEL UP YOUR GUY.

Unlike a lot of games that, once you achieve a new level, will be upfront about asking which attribute or skill you want to upgrade, Qud just quietly puts upgrade points in a little pool, waiting for you to remember that they exist and divvy them out the way you want. Hit "x" to get to your character sheet, and if you have upgrade points waiting, assign them.

10. REMEMBER TO BUY SKILLS.

Like character upgrade points, "skill points" also collect as you progress through the game, and if you don't press "p", you may not even realize you can use them to purchase new skills.

11. REMEMBER TO BUY THESE SKILLS SPECIFICALLY.

This is just my preference, but for a new player, I would recommend the "harvest" and "butchery" skills. "Harvest" lets you gain helpful stuff from plants, particularly "witchwood bark" from Witchwood Trees (which are quick healing snacks) and "vinewafers" from Watervines, which are food. "Butchery" lets you get a lot more food from certain corpses than you otherwise would have, so you don't have to keep worrying about hunger.

12. USE THE WIKI

I ended up spoilerizing a few bits of the game by using the Wiki, but I forgive myself in this case, because I'm too old for this sh*t, and there's tons of great info in the Wiki that may not be clear in (or is absolutely absent from) the game itself.

CONCLUSION

I've barely scratched the surface (literally and figuratively) of Caves of Qud. I don't mean this in the lyrical Steam review sense ("I've played over 500 hours and I've just scratched the surface!") I mean, really. I just figured all of this stuff out within the last two weeks, and none of this should be considered expert advice. However, armed with this guide, you should be able to confidently step into the wild, wonderful world of Qud and have some basic idea what the hell is going on, and maybe not die immediately.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people bringing up in the Valley of Gods as a Steam exclusive in the RL thread? Weren't Half Life 2 and other Valve games available for purchase on other stores like uPlay (dropped third-party games) and Origin (probably removed them because it made them look bad?)? Other than store policies I see no reason that Valve makes their games exclusively available on Steam.

Of course they want you to install Steam when you buy it somewhere else but GOG probably not up for that since it would go against their DRM policy, uPlay like mentioned not selling third party games, EA probably because they don't want to answer those questions, I don't know about Bethesda, Battle.net being a Blizz and Activision thing and Epic wants to take Valve's place.

I don't know. I remember something about Valve, and found this article:

Apparently, up to six KSP devs are still at Valve.

Thanks!

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Trolling
Well I set out a couple of cats amongst the pidgeons of gaming side, I'm sure it'll go well...

Can't say I give a fuck anymore.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
literally the only game I want to play on PC right now runs like shit so I don't wanna play anything beyond getting mad at Hearthstone

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I have a group of 3 other guys I played BL2 and pre sequel co-op with. It's one of the few games I actually get to play with other people so I'll probably have to bite the bullet come September. I'd suggest we play it on console but I don't think it will fly.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I already see people getting banned on RL thread. Why do people do this to themselves? Ignore the drive-by poster or, better yet, the entire thread.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cross-posting from the RL acquisition thread: seems that the tweet deletion is automation error, not a retraction.

Hey y'all
Matt Kim from USGamer here.

I just dropped in to say that something with our Twitter account malfunctioned and our story with the clarification disappeared. Nothing has changed with the story and it still stands, untouched. Here's a link to it.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ep...orms-no-announced-plans-to-pull-it-from-steam

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't wait till the day when everyone who already owns RL will be required to have an Epic account to play.
As is always the case like this, they will dismiss it as old news and go whatever or move goal-posts (why is it wrong to do so when it's not third-party exclusive?) Some will go as far as to suspect your intentions if you choose to dig up their old assurances.

It's ironically far better to prove them right and have your justified fears not come to pass...

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely lost now, does Borderlands 3 have Microtransactions or not?
I'm reading Pitchford's tweet and it's like "Yeah we have microtransactions but don't worry they are not microtransactions" and I don't understand

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Pitchford's tweet and it's like "Yeah we have microtransactions but don't worry they are not microtransactions" and I don't understand
I have no idea about Pitchford, but BL3 coverage suggests a "regular" extreme DLC plan, which suits maybe consider MTX.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

If you're feeling generous, I think you'd take from his statement that there will be MTX but only for cosmetics.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly mercenary move from Psyonix, here, surely? RL has been on Steam for years, and they probably feel that it's diminishing returns at this stage, so taking the money and making it EGS exclusive means they make out like bandits being bought out by Epic, and the only "loss" is an ageing multiplayer game on Steam that lost its hype years ago.

Or, tl;dr - stopnodon'tgo.gif.

Last edited:

Sim

Oct 25, 2017

I think, over the years, lootbox and premium currency have become what people know as microtransactions and cosmetic dlc for direct purchase technically isn't anymore? B3 has the latter, I believe. It doesn't seem like a meaningful distinction to me, but I'm pretty sure that's what Randy is arguing.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I swear I remember reading a rumor about Epic being interested in buying Psionix somewhere. Nothing they do is suprising for me anymore.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly mercenary move from Psyonix, here, surely? RL has been on Steam for years, and they probably feel that it's diminishing returns at this stage, so taking the money and making it EGS exclusive means they make out like bandits being bought out by Epic, and the only "loss" is an ageing multiplayer game on Steam that lost its hype years ago.

Or, tl;dr - stopnodon'tgo.gif.

It is pretty frequently (in fact, almost always) in the top 10 played games on the platform (hell, pretty sure it is on all of the consoles too). I personally don't care for it but this idea it's not a big fish you're pushing is kinda weird.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Went to the Rocket League sub, saw the Epic announcement: 2000 comments, 0 upvotes, many angry people. If I was a right wing populist prone to conspiracy theories, I'd say Epic is actively trying to harm the PC market and make it bad for all involved so that they can go and prop the console space for a while and hide out there until the competitor sinks because they only have one field they can play on.

Of course, I am not and the simplest answer is they just don't give a fuck; how it looks and how it plays out long term because they think they need to do this to carve out a piece of the pie. Besides, I think the console space is gonna get volatile possibly in the next few years when it was once a safe place that you can bank on for every 5-7 years before any major shifts.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty frequently (in fact, almost always) in the top 10 played games on the platform (hell, pretty sure it is on all of the consoles too). I personally don't care for it but this idea it's not a big fish you're pushing is kinda weird.

There's a difference between people who have already bought it and continue to play it, and people who aren't ever going to buy it on Steam. Obviously I have no insider knowledge, but my comment about "no hype" was that RL's time as "the big multiplayer game everyone's talking about" appears to have passed. And in fact, I'm guessing (though I may be wrong, for sure) that this is the most RL has been talked about in non-owner circles in quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.