• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Just finished building my PC... I hope I didn't do something wrong and it runs fine. My alarm takes me out of my dreams in 6 hours... so unfortunately there's no time to try it and install everything.

I'm looking forward playing Ori this week and especially Doom next week.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Doom Eternal Requirements
P3iEOaK.png

Wait you mean brand new Doom Eternal doesn't require at least 8 cores and 16 threads to play???

wee-urd.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wait you mean brand new Doom Eternal doesn't require at least 8 cores and 16 threads to play???

wee-urd.

Nah. i5 are 4 core 4 threads, up to 8600k which is 6 core 6 thread.
Though it is sounding like I need to upgrade my mobo and CPU sooner or later to go above 8 core. Intel CPUs have been fine so far though. I'll probably wait till I have a game that performs poorly and is due to CPU, then do a full on rebuild.

Seems best to wait till a year or two into "next gen" consoles, when new PC hardware will probably be kick ass

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those graphical options PH3 / Durante threw into Cold Steel III are awesome. The only problem is that running 2xMSAA with transparencies at 5120x2880 and having the game's performance come to a screeching hault must mean the game is unoptimized.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
This one.

You simply drop the two files into the folder with the game's executable and run the game as normal. No setup or fuss is needed.

The fix disables the broken frame pacer (this is what made the game bounce down to 30 fps all the time for no apparent reason). It also fixes the enemy intel info text, allows you to uncap the frame rate (high frame rates can screw up the lip sync timings in cutscenes, though), removes the hot-plugging support (to keep the game from polling for a controller every second, causing it to stutter if one isn't plugged in), enables rumble, and works around the 1440p bug where the game would render at the wrong resolution. It also includes an older fix that keeps 2D elements from causing performance hiccups (by changing where the buffer gets allocated).

It works for 13-2 as well, but that game has some additional performance problems that aren't solved (though it is still dramatically better with the fix than without).
Thank you!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing and really enjoying Black Mesa right now to the point where I might just replay the whole HL2 Saga before Alyx comes out...

Are there any good mods or anything similar to make the experience better in 2020?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing as dramatic as Black Mesa afaik, but I'm gonna do the same thing, and I'm planning on playing this after Black Mesa: https://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update/
Just tried it...

Kind of a bummer, looks like there's a bug right now that anytime you click on Options in the main menu, it tries to start the VR mode and launches SteamVR... So I can't even change the resolution right now!

Also looks like it's only the base game and no Ep1-2

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Just tried it...

Kind of a bummer, looks like there's a bug right now that anytime you click on Options in the main menu, it tries to start the VR mode and launches SteamVR... So I can't even change the resolution right now!

Also looks like it's only the base game and no Ep1-2
Ep 1 and 2 don't have it because they already have the things Update adds and aren't as buggy.

I had the same SteamVR problem but when I played with MMoD on top of HL2: Update it went away. MMoD has some neat stuff in it and you can turn off almost everything about it if you don't like it, I wasn't a fan of almost any of the visual changes so I played without them.

Or you can just play base HL2 because it's aged really well even without any mods.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Ep 1 and 2 don't have it because they already have the things Update adds and aren't as buggy.

I had the same SteamVR problem but when I played with MMoD on top of HL2: Update it went away. MMoD has some neat stuff in it and you can turn off almost everything about it if you don't like it, I wasn't a fan of almost any of the visual changes so I played without them.

Or you can just play base HL2 because it's aged really well even without any mods.
Ah, good to know about the Episodes and MMoD... I'll check it out, thanks!

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't popped in , in awhile. Mostly playing GRID 2019 (finally decent track designs in a no nonsense wrapper) and Daemon x Machina. Enjoying both but only really playing PC on the weekends.

It's been easier to play switch during the crazy work week. Definitely appreciating the cross save efforts between switch and PC. Hoping to see more in the future.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
did Doom (im talking 1993 Doom) always have these 4 episodes, or was that a ultimate doom thing, or were they expansions or whats going on?

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm enjoying Pathfinder: Kingmaker a lot more than I was Pillars of Eternity. I'm just playing on the Story difficulty, so maybe I should give PoE another try on a lower difficulty. Does it have a story mode as well? It's been a while since I shoved it into the backlog.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
It was always 4 episodes

1st one was released free, the other 3 had to be purchased.
Not exactly. Originally it was 3 episodes, with the first one free and having to buy the rest. It didn't have a retail release, so they sent it to you through mail.

After the success of the game they did Doom 2, which was retail. Then they released Ultimate Doom, the retail version of Doom 1, and made a fourth episode for it, Thy Flesh Consumed. I think people that bought the original release also got Thy Flesh Consumed if they sent a letter to id?

That's why Thy Flesh Consumed is harder and feels different than the rest of Doom 1, it was made after Doom 2 was released.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm enjoying Pathfinder: Kingmaker a lot more than I was Pillars of Eternity. I'm just playing on the Story difficulty, so maybe I should give PoE another try on a lower difficulty. Does it have a story mode as well? It's been a while since I shoved it into the backlog.

I just couldn't get into Pathfinder. I love that type of game and really wanted to like it but it just felt too much like a pen and paper RPG and unwilling to change anything about it's design despite the fact it's actually a videogame if that makes sense.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of those games I've actually been looking forward to playing to - but missed the bundle. Seems to have varying reviews though. I'll probably get it during the next sale.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

Yes, they added a Story Mode to Pillars 1 some time after launch. If I remember correctly, it was one of the new features released alongside a second expansion. You should try it, Pillars 1 is a much better game than it was at launch with all of extra content and updates. The White March expansion is especially a worthy addition.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
God I loved Shareware, back when I was a poor PC gamer. Anywhere up to a third of the game for free.

Didn't play the full releases of Doom or Wolfenstein till many years later.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they added a Story Mode to Pillars 1 some time after launch. If I remember correctly, it was one of the new features released alongside a second expansion. You should try it, Pillars 1 is a much better game than it was at launch with all of extra content and updates. The White March expansion is especially a worthy addition.
Ah, I actually started PoE around last September I think, but it started collecting dust after I finished act 1. Guess I'll pick it back up... eventually 😅

Story Mode for Souls when

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Beautiful Desolation. Couldn't make sense of all that was going on to honest, but it was a surprisingly good game nonetheless. Character designs and voice acting were especially on point. The world they have crafted is pretty cool too. Hearty recommendation.

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually enjoying tower of time. It has a nice difficulty to it that I think a lot of games miss out on, without also feeling like a pain in the ass. I have not been thrilled with real time combat games lately, but this one seems to be an exception.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tower of Time is underrated. Though it plays out in battle like more of a MOBA tower defense game than other rpgs do.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about the games (that much) for now, I'd rather have more animated movies. Ye, I know people generally don't like them, but I enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.