• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Why can't Epic just bring over their own games, I'd legit hop on the egs store for gears of war 1-4

Microsoft owns Gears outright.

Edit:
gF8Ry22.jpg

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Steam teaser for the upcoming Knuckle Sandwich. A GBA-style RPG.

Also the store page went up a couple days ago which I saw nobody on my friends has on their wishlist.

No concrete release date at the moment.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

we believe the correct course of action is [...] to re-examine the decisions we've made along the way regarding game design, the economy, the social experience of playing, and more.

It is such a disaster. Valve could have asked any player and fixed these issues months ago:
  • game design: unsatisfying RNG due to creep deployment and arrows,
  • the economy: prize play is a mistake,
  • the social experience: players expect to be able to trade cards with their friends, without any fee. It is a trading card game,
  • and more: a ladder, trinkets, etc.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Knuckle sandwich needs a remake setting where they replace every unique npc with a generic sprite aka why the fuck is Nintendo so desperate to strip Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi of all charm.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Uplay treated like trash in that quote 😄 That should be reserved for EGL. You gain nothing by buying from Epic, and they should let you know that.

It is sad to see. All gamers should support uplay and help it thrive. We seem a long way off from ubisoft games being pulled off steam and made exclusive to that service, but that doesn't mean we should give up.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Please for the love of god ship to Norway or partner up with some Norwegian retailers.
Have you tried to buy a steam controller or something related to the Valve hardware? I think that they'll have the same partner for the headset, so if a steam controller, for example, get shipped you should be safe :o

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried to buy a steam controller or something related to the Valve hardware? I think that they'll have the same partner for the headset, so if a steam controller, for example, get shipped you should be safe :o

Yes, but noone has ever sold Steam controller, Steam link or any kind of hardware or accessory here in Norway, not even Steam gift cards can be found here. There is only one retailer that has an online store page for the Steam controller, but it has never been on sale.

I have a Steam controller, but I bought it in another country.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but noone has ever sold Steam controller, Steam link or any kind of hardware or accessory here in Norway, not even Steam gift cards can be found here. There is only one retailer that has an online store page for the Steam controller, but it has never been on sale.

I have a Steam controller, but I bought it in another country.
Ouch, that sucks. Let's hope that they'll expand their net with the release of their headset :/

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone in Canada or on my friends list want to go halvsies on Risk of Rain 2?
edit. you dont have to be in Canada but I think there is a paypal fee from other countries.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
But guys, don't you know there's too many crappy games around and curation is needed to help the cream rise to the top?

(Also, that's game looks charming)

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is someone making a thread about that game? More threads about curation failures would be nice.

Dude's game looks good

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
The "shitpost games" issue probably has to do with trading cards. A quick asset flip + free keys given away + trading card sales = profit.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Even though the developer complained about Steam, it doesn't change the fact that:

- Game looks good by the trailer and screenshots.
- Has a very positive rating on Steam with 117 reviews.
- Has an OpenCritic score of 74
- and a Metacritic of 69(PS4) and 79 (Xbox).

Now, I haven't played myself, but this appears to exactly the type of game that curated stores block regardless of quality. And that's what anyone who actually remembers the curated Steam can tell you. A *lot* of good games got left out. Curation is not the general solution. And if EGS becomes really popular and a place where people go to find games, indies would just be screwed again. And yes, this was on GOG, but the principle is the same.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something to be aware of. The two co-founders of Humble Bundle are stepping down

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-29-humble-bundle-exclusive

Alan Patmore will now be leading the company.

While Patmore hasn't managed a digital storefront specifically, his experience in the industry is broad and undeniably impressive. Recently, he was chief product officer at Kixeye, before that he was studio general manager at Zynga, and before that he was vice president of product development at Double Fine.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
That line of thinking also means that he afraid of losing to compete against 'shitpost' game. Quite sad really.

Yeah, it's depressing seeing so many devs buy-into what is essentially the "other devs are my enemy" line of thinking.

Anyways... Sucks about Anno 1800. I was going to buy it in a Steam sale, and now trying to work out if I should buy it on Steam now, or just wait for a UPlay sale. Unfortunate that the SEA UPlay store charges in US dollars everywhere except Singapore, as I'd buy it from there like a shot otherwise.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Risk of Rain 2:

playing now

Risk of Rain:

all-time peak

This is nuts. The BOGO was genius. I even bought the damn thing.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a MP closed beta for Bannerlord is coming soon:
Of course Skirmish mode, like other multiplayer modes, is still under development and there is still a lot of work needed to fine tune and balance everything. To do this more efficiently, we are planning to carry out a closed multiplayer beta where we hope to get help and feedback from members of our community.

We realise that this overview of Skirmish has probably raised a lot of questions about multiplayer in general, especially for Warband veterans. However, fear not! We will discuss much more about multiplayer in future blogs, including Bannerlord's new class system, matchmaking, additional game modes, and, of course, details about the upcoming closed beta!

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think the upcoming Steam Events could helped indie devs to market their next game better to their already established audience?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Assuming the 500M number was accurate, I can see three possible scenarios:
a) They were counting gross sales assuming everything delivered through the store was actually bought at the listed store price; for example, Subnautica had 4.5M downloads and retails for €20.99, that's roughly 94.5M euros in gross sales, despite the fact the game was given away for free;
b) They were counting the entire revenue that's been negotiated as part of their exclusive deals, including the cash advances and guaranteed sales income to developers with whom they have exclusive agreements;
c) They were indeed talking about income obtained through the store but were including Fortnite as part of their numbers, since it's also sold through the store. For reference, Fortnite was making an average of 200M per month during 2018.

Regardless of the scenario this would always be a very deceiving number. For starters, these sort of giveaways are usually negotiated at a fairly modest sum paid upfront that would only amount to a very small % of total gross sales in case they were being sold (sometimes with additional income based on target downloads being surpassed); cash advances for guaranteed sales does not mean they actually brought in half a billion dollars of income and including revenue from Fortnite completely defeats the purpose of giving away any sales numbers while discussing the performance of their store.

Either way it was misleading information, which is why Epic already backpedaled. Their statement does feel a bit disingenuous, pretending this was just an employee who misspoke when this information was provided by the Head of Unreal Engine Business Development during an Investment Summit, while the Director of Publishing Strategy who is in charge of the Epic Games Store was sitting right by his side.

Yup. The 500m they claimed to have made was from multiple sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.