• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
Anno 1800 has been removed from the Steam store, welp.

Blue Byte can't get a break, way to kill off the sales of Anno. They're pulling the same crap they did when they used The Settlers 7 to test their online-only DRM in 2010, which pretty much buried the series for a decade.

Also good thing Metro: Exodus was the last time they were announcing a game as exclusive so close to the release date.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I don't think it's an overkill. People have to be vocal about what they don't like, specially if the thing is making their main hobby worse by the day.

Vote if your wallet, but also speak if you really wish to be heard.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I thought Epic said they were done doing these "Metro" already available to pre order / close to release deals? Couldn't even make it a week.

Edit: I see below that they held out for a whole 8 days from when that article was posted.

Last edited:

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's an overkill. People have to be vocal about what they don't like, specially if the thing is making their main hobby worse by the day.

Vote if your wallet, but also speak if you really wish to be heard.
Apparently we're either more of a minority than we thought possible or Epic is willfully ignoring us and blaming us for not swallowing what they're giving us whole sale

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The setting is nice and they actually do some interesting things with the story. The problem is... almost everything else. I will admit that survival elements are not something I usually enjoy, but here the problem was more the bugs, bad combat, and annoying AI like for example if some NPC becomes hostile because you were running besides it, suddenly *all* NPCs that see you are hostile and start shouting nonsense like "there goes the murderer". That and having to "start over" with two new characters got on my nerves by the end.

Still, you can cheat your ass off (which I did) by enabling the console to try to enjoy the good aspects.

I thought they scrapped the survival stuff and the game was more "normal" now?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I care less about this shit with Ubisoft games because I don't mind uPlay, but this seems really dumb for the series as a whole. Like it's a thing that already struggles for attention compared to your larger series and now you're pulling it away from the platform with a gigantic install base of strategy game players.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
new rules i guess?

from the anno thread

Official Staff Communication
Given the volatility in recent Epic Game Store related threads we have decided that some clearer guidelines are required to cultivate healthier discussion.

• Do not enter these threads in bad faith. If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated. Intent matters here. Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine. Deliberately and dismissively attempting to troll concerned members on those topics is not okay. These discussions must be held in good faith and in a civil manner.
• As a reminder, antagonizing or engaging in personal attacks on other members is still against the rules. We have a large community with a wide range of preferences and personal priorities. Not everyone will feel the same way as you do on any given topic. If you feel a post is breaking a rule please report it and do not respond with hostility. If you choose to engage do so politely. We always check to see which users have a history of trouble in this area.
• It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.") It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.") The latter is needlessly inflammatory and distracts from discussion. We will be scrutinizing these posts more closely going forward.
• Do not advocate, defend, or admit to piracy under any circumstances. This is explicitly against our Terms of Service. There are no justifications that will make this acceptable.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It doesn't change things much for me since I was already conflicted between picking Anno 1800 up on Steam or going for the cheaper option with UPlay, but it's still a dumb as fuck move, I hope it won't kill the series.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I care less about this shit with Ubisoft games because I don't mind uPlay, but this seems really dumb for the series as a whole. Like it's a thing that already struggles for attention compared to your larger series and now you're pulling it away from the platform with a gigantic install base of strategy game players.
making your games not sell to own the libs

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I mean, in defense of Bernardo, Death Stranding was announced as a PS4 console exclusive even through Sony official business channels.
Sorry but we know how console exclusive works, it was already discussed in the past. Yakuza 0 was PS4 console exclusive, Ni-Oh was PS4 console exclusive.
But the fact is Death Stranding was announced from Kojima himself to be available on PC and PS4. No other information was provided after that. So unless Kojima Production tomorrow will release a statement saying the game is PS4 Exclusive, people can and should presume it's a PC game too since the director of the project told so.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Now I don't know what to do. I really liked the beta and I was considering buying Anno 1800 at launch but I hate the idea of being blackmailed by fucking Ubisoft into buying the game now if I want to have it on Steam.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but we know how console exclusive works, it was already discussed in the past. Yakuza 0 was PS4 console exclusive, Ni-Oh was PS4 console exclusive.
But the fact is Death Stranding was announced from Kojima himself to be available on PC and PS4. No other information was provided after that. So unless Kojima Production tomorrow will release a statement saying the game is PS4 Exclusive, people can and should presume it's a PC game too since the director of the project told so.

They're agreeing with you.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
And going back to my comment from this morning, there's a billion hours worth of strategy games launching at basically the same time, and this was already the most low profile of them all. Just seems weird.

Exactly. I'm mainly a strategy game player, and Anno was really low in my list. Phoenix Point hurt me much more.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
somehow in between running from work to hospitals to classes to whatever i managed to get one hour of sekiro last night and i unlocked a bunch of new areas?

game was fairly linear up until now and now i have so many directions to go and i've unlocked a bunch of bonfires that just seem like dead ends? but they're right next to what look like potential boss arenas, so it's a bit confusing

anyways i found some monkeys

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

They're agreeing with you.

Exactly.

My feeling on the subject is that Sony is trying the Nier Automata strategy all over again. "What's a PC?" stance on all PC-related questions until the game is actually out.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much. It's one thing to do these deals for big multiplatform AAAs; the future of The Division or Assassin's Creed isn't reliant on those games selling well on PC.

Anno ending up a commercial failure because they wanted to push their Unprecedented Partnership™ and decided to ignore the largest userbase for strategy games will have a huge impact on the future of the series, just like Ubisoft's bullshit online-only DRM scheme completely tanked The Settlers VII and led to the series being on hiatus for nearly a decade.

Unfortunately I can see them pulling the same thing with the new Settlers. It would be quite something if a decade later they finally release a sequel, only to sabotage its chances of success with another move that its audience will preemptively reject.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, to each their own, I definitely get the annoyance of having to use a second, lesser launcher. But the sheer hatred for pubs and devs and others when the games are still playable on the exact same device just genuinely baffles me. And I say that as someone who also won't buy anything til it comes to Steam. Either way, I don't mean to stir controversy again in here, there's been plenty to go around on the topic all over the place already.
My vitriol comes not from the decisions to go exclusive, but the attempts at justifying said decisions in extremely condescending tones. You won't see me shit talking Remedy instead of something like Devolver, for example.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I think people assuming all the EGS games are bombing and wont sell are in for a rude awakening soon enough. You dont seem to understand how small the micro-cosmos of this forum (or forums like it) is in the big picture. I've said this before, and granted that doesnt "prove" anything, but EVERYONE I know that plays pc games that doesnt frequent forums in general doesnt give 2 fucks where they buy the games. My entire wow posse is now a division posse, and was a battlefield posse before for example.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I think people assuming all the EGS games are bombing and wont sell are in for a rude awakening soon enough. You dont seem to understand how small the micro-cosmos of this forum (or forums like it) is in the big picture. I've said this before, and granted that doesnt "prove" anything, but EVERYONE I know that plays pc games that doesnt frequent forums in general doesnt give 2 fucks where they buy the games. My entire wow posse is now a division posse, and was a battlefield posse before for example.
People said the same thing about GFWL, the Windows store and most recently the Bethesda launcher. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Epic is covering lost sales so the pubs / devs are good. Epic also doesn't seem to care right now if you buy the games or not. They're just hoping to wear people down over time.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone I know who doesn't go on forums nor video games social media at all wants to keep their games in one place (Steam, right now). So I don't think you're correct. But I also think they'll be bringing in some money because even here there are plenty of people who don't seem to care.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Whether they sell or not doesn't really matter. They are probably going to sell okay regardless, but the moneyhat guarantees the games wont be failures.

The real question is whether people are going to keep using the EGS after they stop forcing people to use it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
There was warning about game being pulled of the Steam on Anno page but now it is gone. Also there are no official posts about it on Steam.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017

For Ubisoft games I think the question is more how much they are selling on EGS versus the Ubi Store. People were already familiar with UPlay and the games are big enough that I don't think need the Steam audience.

I thought they scrapped the survival stuff and the game was more "normal" now?
Almost forgot to answer this because of the new drama.
The survival elements I very toned down, but still there somewhat. On easy I don't think you get you get any penalties for not sleeping/drinking/eating. On normal you get something like less stamina, etc. I think on hard you die but I'm not sure.

You still have to do the "collect everything for a lot of time to craft what you need" though.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017

I think if games were selling so well on the epic store they would have come out with specific numbers, and not vague bs like with Metro. Most PC centric forums/gatherings are not happy with Epic.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

So the users of this thread are the ones downvoting reddit, downvoting Youtube videos and reviewbombing games from the publishers on Steam?
Or maybe we are not a little minority?

, but EVERYONE I know that plays pc games that doesnt frequent forums in general doesnt give 2 fucks where they buy the games.
I wouldn't be so bold to Claim EVERYONE I know gives more than 2 fucks about where they purchase games, but NEARLY EVERYONE I KNOW boycotts Epic *shrug*

Every user should count, every sale should count, disregarding your possible audience is stupid.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I just bought this game, it looks pretty interesting and it's very cheap. It's from the same studio who brought Bladed Fury and Iris.Fall.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
And in regards to Anno: I already bought it on uplay after the beta.
if I wouldn't have bought it (because of my buddy) I would boycott it. I didn't buy the games after 1404, so it wouldn't have been that difficult for me, even if I love Anno since 1602

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
My vitriol comes not from the decisions to go exclusive, but the attempts at justifying said decisions in extremely condescending tones. You won't see me shit talking Remedy instead of something like Devolver, for example.
yeah definitely irritating, although i never expected much better

what i don't really know about the pc gaming market is how big of a deal whales are for it

i agree that most people not belonging to forums like this probably don't get a shit which launcher they use, but i'm also unsure how big a slice of the pie they represent compared to the whales you see here. considering that valve has often felt to me like they only hunt whales, i get the impression they matter a whole lot, but can't say for sure

like sure my friends bought overwatch or minecraft or whatever on outside clients, but also my friends don't really play that many games in the first place

meanwhile there's people that buy hundreds of games and if they represent a big part of the market then the epic store is gonna have a lot of trouble getting outside of the one or two exclusives

i wonder if epic couldn't have done something like origin (or was it uplay) does that keys you activated on steam also work on their store? at least just retroactively, so in the future you're motivated straight for them, or whatever. probably expensive to do but buying out all these exclusives can't be cheap either

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
yeah definitely irritating, although i never expected much better

what i don't really know about the pc gaming market is how big of a deal whales are for it

i agree that most people not belonging to forums like this probably don't get a shit which launcher they use, but i'm also unsure how big a slice of the pie they represent compared to the whales you see here. considering that valve has often felt to me like they only hunt whales, i get the impression they matter a whole lot, but can't say for sure

like sure my friends bought overwatch or minecraft or whatever on outside clients, but also my friends don't really play that many games in the first place

meanwhile there's people that buy hundreds of games and if they represent a big part of the market then the epic store is gonna have a lot of trouble getting outside of the one or two exclusives

i wonder if epic couldn't have done something like origin (or was it uplay) does that keys you activated on steam also work on their store? at least just retroactively, so in the future you're motivated straight for them, or whatever. probably expensive to do but buying out all these exclusives can't be cheap either
I think there were Steam stats a while back that showed that anyone with over something like 300 games was in the 1%.
We're basically the whales here and it seems few of us are ready to spill the same amount of money on the EGS.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Only good Anno games were the two DS releases, don't @ me.
(One might even say the last good Blue Byte game was Incubation back in 1997)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/kalypso-pick-and-mix

Neat build a bundle on Fanatical atm:
3 FOR $2.49
5 FOR $3.49
10 FOR $4.99

Granted most of y'all may already own a lot of these games but you could use it to get Vikings: Wolves of Midgard if interested.

Also Groupees has an interesting bundle this time around
https://groupees.com/bm38

The $5 tier has these 2 games

Ah well 3 games for $5 is fine in my book~

https://groupees.com/bab53

This upcoming bundle has 3 decent games if you pre order for $1.50 too.

Only good Anno games were the two DS releases, don't @ me.
(One might even say the last good Blue Byte game was Incubation back in 1997)
Interesting, I only know of one Anno game on DS, what was the other one?

Status
Not open for further replies.