• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
In a just world it should be Dai Gyukaten Saiban 1 and 2 localizations and ports. Shu Takumi even said he wanted western fans to be able to play them but lol Capcom. I guess there's the English fan patch for the first but still.
There isn't one (yet) - there's a Youtube translation of the game, patch is still stuck at first 2 cases.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Lol at cyan not saying which stores will be supported until after the Kickstarter is completed, holding out for that epic money on top of the 1.2 million

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Devolver: We didn't expect blow back. We never heard an outcry that Metro: Exodus and Phoenix Point deals caused. In fact, we never read gaming media, social networks and forums, all communications and PR are done through our very secret, very advanced AI located in the woods somewhere in Washington.

Fuck reputation, we got money.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I would really like to see any developer/publisher who released their game exclusively on Epic Store talk about numbers. Maybe someone will talk about those people in the bar and get some vague info that will be shared with the internet XD

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I would really like to see any developer/publisher who released their game exclusively on Epic Store talk about numbers. Maybe someone will talk about those people in the bar and get some vague info that will be shared with the internet XD
Numbers don't matter, Epic probably paid them to cover at least a bare minimum of projected first year sales. They're gambling on the potential to release games on Steam/GOG next year and either pretend that nothing happened or do a little damage control (something among the lines of those funny videos during Shadowrun kickstarter campaign) and we all roll over like dogs and lick their feets in amazement.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Numbers don't matter, Epic probably paid them to cover at least a bare minimum of projected first year sales. They're gambling on the potential to release games on Steam/GOG next year and either pretend that nothing happened or do a little damage control (something among the lines of those funny videos during Shadowrun kickstarter campaign) and we all roll over like dogs and lick their feets in amazement.

I know that they don't matter to them that much right now but I would like to know them. I would like to see if Epic way of forcing themselves into the market works.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Something I'm curious about is how the games are going to be priced once the 1 year exclusivity is up. I can see a lot of devs/pubs pricing the Steam versions as full-priced new releases. But I can equally see many people being frustrated by that, as the games will have been on PC for a year at that point. So, either every dev/pub basically drops the price for the Steam release, or there's going to be a massive amount of bad publicity for them as they try to charge full-price, and are met with "But it's been on PC for a year! It's just a different launcher you're releasing on!"

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Something I'm curious about is how the games are going to be priced once the 1 year exclusivity is up. I can see a lot of devs/pubs pricing the Steam versions as full-priced new releases. But I can equally see many people being frustrated by that, as the games will have been on PC for a year at that point. So, either every dev/pub basically drops the price for the Steam release, or there's going to be a massive amount of bad publicity for them as they try to charge full-price, and are met with "But it's been on PC for a year! It's just a different launcher you're releasing on!"

It's not only that, it will also depend how much time those games were on sale. But based on those PS4 1 year exclusives, they will be released as full priced games. But those with DLCs will be released as Complete editions for full price.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It's not only that, it will also depend how much time those games were on sale. But based on those PS4 1 year exclusives, they will be released as full priced games. But those with DLCs will be released as Complete editions for full price.

Yeah. :/ I think it's really going to destroy some talking points if that happens - no-one can say "It's good for competition" and "It's still on PC, just not on Steam" if they treat it like the console sector like that.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
My guess, Metro, Division, OuterWorlds, possibly Phoenix Point and Control are releasing at full price and indies drop the price across the board. Personally, I ain't paying full price for a 1 year old game that was available on a platform before.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
There is no way I will pay full price after having to wait for a year and the dev already took Epic's bribes.

Games have to be 50% off at least

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way I will pay full price after having to wait for a year and the dev already took Epic's bribes.

Games have to be 50% off at least

That is not happening. And you can bet that some of the developers will put games at full price and then complain about low sales, lack of visibility or whatever is popular at that time.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
That is not happening. And you can bet that some of the developers will put games at full price and then complain about low sales, lack of visibility or whatever is popular at that time.
I fully expect Switch success stories with shades thrown at Valve for not properly marketing a 1 year old game that received a huge fan backlash upon release.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

sure but it will eventually

if I can wait a year to play a game I can wait a year and a half to play it just as easily

if I even buy it at all

this is another note but honestly I feel like what valve should be doing is blacklisting these games entirely

"wanna take epics money and keep it off steam for a year? okay don't bother putting it here ever"

I feel like that would be a pretty effective deterrent and not much of a pr hit for them

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
sure but it will eventually

if I can wait a year to play a game I can wait a year and a half to play it just as easily

if I even buy it at all

this is another note but honestly I feel like what valve should be doing is blacklisting these games entirely

"wanna take epics money and keep it off steam for a year? okay don't bother putting it here ever"

I feel like that would be a pretty effective deterrent and not much of a pr hit for them

Valve will never do that because they believe in free market. They even say developers to put their games for sale on as many places as they can. Valve is focused on services Steam offers to attract customers and keep them in their ecosystem.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
As someone here may have suggested already, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a spate of 'enhanced editions' released to coincide with exclusivity windows closing, as further justification for launching on Steam at the same 'regular' price as had been available on EGS. Would cynically (and perhaps cleverly) cover off the 'poor value' equation of a year-old title hitting new storefronts at full price.

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
For our local Linux stan Nappael

kbSoO3H.png

https://puppygames001.itch.io/basingstoke/devlog/70568/basingstoke-is-now-free-for-linux

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Something I'm curious about is how the games are going to be priced once the 1 year exclusivity is up. I can see a lot of devs/pubs pricing the Steam versions as full-priced new releases.

From the backlash, one can understand that people attach a lot of value to Steam. The fact that Devolver were not expecting the backlash shows that they did not understand that up to now. Now that the value added by Steam is obvious to the devs and publishers, there is a good reason for them to be more aggressive and attach a price to it. So, games will be sold at full-price when they are released on Steam, and people will buy them.

Look at Metro Exodus. Among the people who bought it on Steam, how many intended to pre-order it, or purchase it at full price, before it was known that the game would be removed from Steam? This is the power of i) Steam, mixed with ii) some fear of missing out.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

That's why I said before that the party more likely to stop these deals first is Epic themselves, not the developers. If developers got paid a big amount of money, enough to cover their projected year-one sales, AND they can then sell many more copies on Steam one year later, it's like their game has two launch periods. There's only one way that developers refuse these deals, their games need to utterly flop when they release on Steam. Will it happen? Possibly, but we won't know for quite a long time.

Epic on the other hand will closely monitor sales of these exclusives throughout the year hoping for a major increase in their games-buying userbase. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pulling the plug on moneyhatting relatively soon (like, the end of this year) if all these games end up flopping on EGS.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
Waaahhh,, still two days for Tropico 6.. Is there any way to find out at what time it will be available on the 29th since the store page says available in approx. 2 days=

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
See, this is what kills me about the EGS's gross elbow-swinging into the marketspace. I'm completely cool with waiting 12 months for titles to make it to Steam. I just can't stand wondering what the next random game is gonna fall under the ax. It kills any hype I have for upcoming releases. No guarantees so why bother. What a shame.
This is really what bummed most in regards to EGS moneyhats. Unable to get excited, let alone hype, for a PC announcement under the looming threat of moneyhatting. You'll always asked yourself "is it EGs exclusive?". Not fun in the slightest.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
See, this is what kills me about the EGS's gross elbow-swinging into the marketspace. I'm completely cool with waiting 12 months for titles to make it to Steam. I just can't stand wondering what the next random game is gonna fall under the ax. It kills any hype I have for upcoming releases. No guarantees so why bother. What a shame.

I feel the same. I don't even WANT to watch the PC gaming show at E3. Most of the games announced will be EGS exclusive anyway.

The fact that Outward released on Steam, instead of Deep Silver doubling down on EGS makes me think things aren't as rosy with the Metro Exodus sales as Sweeney would have us believe

Perhaps the game wasn't interesting enough for Epic to moneyhat? No doubt they are using Steam's most wishlisted games to determine what games to grab and what not.

The Valve "hate" is strong:

unknown.png

What's wrong with these people?

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy X/X-2 March 27th Update

We are aware of an issue which affected the ability to play FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster in offline environments.

To rectify this, we have removed the latest update with immediate effect, and you can now continue to experience the game as before.

A new version of the last patch will be available in the near future. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused, and thank you for your patience.

We hope you continue to enjoy playing FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
realistically, how likely is it that Borderlands 3 is announced as an EGS exclusive at the Gearbox Theater Show tomorrow

randy and tim are best pals and go way back so it wouldn't surprise me

also there's this tweet.

qtgqfDX.png

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
realistically, how likely is it that Borderlands 3 is announced as an EGS exclusive at the Gearbox Theater Show tomorrow

I think 50/50.

2K is their publisher and 2ks biggest game ever NBA2k is selling like hotcakes in China. It is still Top 1 in China and never gets away. So I am not sure if 2k wants to ignore the chinese market.

unbenannt8ojci.jpg

It has been like that since NBA2k17. It literally never leaves topsellers.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Randy dislikes valve on what seems to be a fairly personal level and has been vocal about it in the past.

He's 100% pushing for a deal, but it's ultimately up to their publisher i presume

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think 50/50.

2K is their publisher and 2ks biggest game ever NBA2k is selling like hotcakes in China. It is still Top 1 in China and never gets away. So I am not sure if 2k wants to ignore the chinese market.

It has been like that since NBA2k17. It literally never leaves topsellers.
yeah idk

Borderlands 2 has sold like 13 million copies and i'd imagine a lot of that is from PC

skipping out Steam would be quite the move

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018

also there's this tweet.

qtgqfDX.png

Zelnick's words don't mean shit, so it's fairly possible, plus Randy hates Valve since HL days. On the other hand Borderlands is one of the franchises that basically guaranteed to print money on Steam. I say 50/50

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The whole just asking questions attitude so many put on airs with is excruciating.

And Outward will have to wait, got stuck in the penultimate Seriko boss mostly out of tiredness/frustration and I can't play anything else until I finally beat it later today lol. Former not having a jump function seems weird tho

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017

also there's this tweet.

qtgqfDX.png

99% chance it's Epic exclusive, 1% chance it's on both Steam and EGS like VTMB2.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
If a publisher takes exclusive epic deal and then says a store is a store, I call hypocrisy. If a store is a store then why go with EGS? Oh, right, that guaranteed Epic money. So there are differences between stores after all? So again, if a publisher prefers EGS because of whatever reason, it can't be unreasonable for me as a customer to also have a preference.

For me it's features, convenience and pricing. Epic is doing nothing for me in those areas so I'll stay away from their store just like a publisher is allowed to avoid stores should they choose to - or be forced to due to signing exclusivity deals which only benefit them, not their customers.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Re: Breath of Fire series
A compilation of all 5 games is possible, thing is Capcom may want to re-translate BoF 1 and 2 at least. I personally find it a little difficult to go back to some PS1 era localization of RPGs. They're competent and get the job done, but compared to today's localization they lack 'style' or personality.
...and no I am not talking about Working Designs :V

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

EGS had so many Fortnite Bucks to drop into R&D building their base platform. But they instead chose to squander it all by injecting a poison into the system via money-hatted exclusives, locking people into an anemic walled garden.

There's a window when I might have given them a look. It doesn't have to be All Steam All The Time. Like, I have zero issue with Origin, etc. (absolutely loves me some Sims 4 and wish EA nothing but the best). But EGS has burned any possibility of goodwill with their aggressive moves into the space. And they can eat dirt.

I'm only one vote so who cares, but I'll never touch anything they have to offer. Ever. As far as I'm concerned they're a cancer to what the PC gaming space represents.

This nicely sums up my thoughts towards the whole Epic thing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.