• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
For those who have played a game on epics store

* Can you play the game without the launcher open once you buy it ( is EGS a drm layer)

That depends on the game, devs can chose. Something like recent Ubisoft games requires the launcher, uPlay and Denuvo.
While something like Phoenix Point is promised to only require the launcher for initial installation (one dev even said that you would be able to move that installation from one Windows installation to another.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The new Steam layout still has the same layout on the top and bottom? Why, they could have actually improved it. Seriously.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I guess I'll have to give the original Bloodlines another shot. I always bounce off on account of the combat. Don't know if it's because I always go into the social and stealth skills, but not enough to avoid combat entirely.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they are showing the updated part. Steam is modular, and they were focusing on the store part.
I'm talking about this.
I just don't get why they didn't shake up the layout of the client, with them presumably moving to web-based tech for it. The bottom bezel needs to go, and it doesn't fit with the design language they're using for new parts of the store.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about this.
I just don't get why they didn't shake up the layout of the client, with them presumably moving to web-based tech for it. The bottom bezel needs to go, and it doesn't fit with the design language they're using for new parts of the store.

Yes I know, they are showing the old "shell" because it's probably not ready yet.
We saw in the old leak that the shell would be changed as well. The store matched almost 1:1 with what we saw yesterday. The shell is probably getting an update as well.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll have to give the original Bloodlines another shot. I always bounce off on account of the combat. Don't know if it's because I always go into the social and stealth skills, but not enough to avoid combat entirely.

IMO It's a lot like Planescape Torment in that you can dodge a lot of the combat through social skills and such but there's always still a certain amount of it to slog through. The rest of the game is worth it though.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus' exclusivity deal provoked the ire of devoted Steam fans, who have complained and even resorted to the usual tactic of review bombing the previous Metro games on Valve's store.

Of course they don't even mention that Metro had a POSITIVE review bombing, because people generally really love the game but still wanted to show they didn't like Epic.

Also wish these idiots stopped assuming we are just Steam fans. I have no problems with other launchers ffs. I specifically have a problem with Epic.

It's not the only example, either. Snapshot Games was also criticised for making its upcoming strategy game Phoenix Point temporarily exclusive to the Epic Games Store.

Because it was a fucking crowdfunded game, and Snapshot threw all their backers and investors under the bus. Dipshits.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodlines 2 releasing on every storefront, including EGS is what I want to see on PC. That's genuine competition.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
There is definitely something funny to be had in gaming journalists complaints about toxic gamers when they go on to write condescending, childish articles like these, which are becoming more and more common lately and not just re:EGS.

I can fully understand the mixed feelings someone might have towards "gamers" if you see them as a holistic group of people, but if all you can express towards your own audience (and this holds true not just for journalists, but developers as well) is nothing but mockery and even disgust, then you should really ask yourself why you're still in this industry.

Bourgeoise twats.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That awkward moment when you announce a sequel to a game that everyone played...only to find out that nobody actually played it.

I tried it, it wasn't great, I stopped playing it. I have no regrets.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That awkward moment when you announce a sequel to a game that everyone played...only to find out that nobody actually played it.

I tried it, it wasn't great, I stopped playing it. I have no regrets.

Honestly, there was a lot I liked about it, I just kept hitting a brick wall with the combat and usually end up playing something else. I'll remember a couple of months later and start over (repeat ad. nauseum). There's a lot to play in the next few months but I'll probably get around to committing to it eventually.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to give that site a click but I like the headline. "Gamers don't see that". Sweeney pushing an us-vs-them narrative will convince even more gamers to reject his awful business practices.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
>EGS is definitely going to be a good deal for smaller devs who aren't in a position to develop and launch their own stores.

I hope this part of the comment was ironic. Right now EGS doesn't host a single game from such developer (even games published by Team17 are hardly in this position), fuck, they have deals with big ass corps like T2, Ubi and even Sony. Even if you don't want/have no resources to develop your own client you can sell keys from your website to a 100% profit.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to give that site a click but I like the headline. "Gamers don't see that". Sweeney pushing an us-vs-them narrative will convince even more gamers to reject his awful business practices.

The US vs Them narrative is really awful, and uncalled for.
>EGS is definitely going to be a good deal for smaller devs who aren't in a position to develop and launch their own stores.

I hope this part of the comment was ironic. Right now EGS doesn't host a single game from such developer (even games published by Team17 are hardly in this position), fuck, they have deals with big ass corps like T2, Ubi and even Sony. Even if you don't want/have no resources to develop your own client you can sell keys from your website to a 100% profit.
Their indies also consisted of big one and well known name. I also wonder if EGS would ever accept games like Undertale, Baba is You, or Stephen's Sausage Roll.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

I think that'll happen when the first contracts begin to expire in December. That Epic can afford to throw around millions of dollars willy-nilly doesn't change the fact that securing exclusivity so aggressively isn't a realistic business model; at some point, the store will need to appeal to developers/publishers on its own merits. I also suspect the revenue split will be adjusted around the same time and changed to something that's sustainable long-term, although I would say there's a good chance Epic will meet current partners in the middle somewhat and leave existing releases at 88%/12%.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
>We're trying to socialize a new financial model for developers that they can thrive on

...but we can't afford to pay processing fees for our customers, so someone gets fucked either way.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
They keep talk about "for the welfare of developers" whilst saying blatantly that publishers in the case like Metro Exodus and The Outer World know better.

Utter shit.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

You mean the smaller devs which are the likeliest not to be allowed into the store?

Edit: yeah you said it better :P
Also, reminder that HB has a widget that gives 95% and you dont have to take care of the whole mess with money.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why they say they're for devs when they keep doing deals with publishers behind the devs back

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a general rule: People like to say they are doing things for the devs (particularly indie devs) - but will consistently ignore indie devs and will listen to what major publishers tell them what is good for developers instead. Even when it's the publisher just pocketing all the money.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Sweeney said they won't let "crappy games" to appear on their beautiful store...unless, of course, "crappy game" in question will sell millions somewhere else.
I mean even with not letting "crappy games", they will end up with a mess of discoverability once they are open for a few years and have 1000+ games.

Letting games be advertised by Influencers might help in the launch window but afterwards, how do you know a game exists?

The "no advertising other games in another game page" sounds pretty good for developers, but they seem to forget that that feature is standard in all stores (not only gaming) because it allows for cross promotion of games.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we have a thread for these Avellone comments? Gaming side could do with seeing a few of them. Especially the one about devs not seeing the Epic money and it most likely just staying in upper management.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
More VtM: BLoodlines 2 news:

Cara Ellison
@caraellison

It has felt like an ~eternity~ but I can finally say 'Bloodlines 2' is what I do for work!

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I mean even with not letting "crappy games", they will end up with a mess of discoverability once they are open for a few years and have 1000+ games.
They don't care. I think right now their priority is to secure whatever audience they can, see if it's worth it to keep a store and then build something people would actually want to use. The only problem is, I'm not sure Epic has a long-term commitment to the whole thing.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't care. I think right now their priority is to secure whatever audience they can, see if it's worth it to keep a store and then build something people would actually want to use. The only problem is, I'm not sure Epic has a long-term commitment to the whole thing.

tbh I think the problem is more that I don't have a long term commitment to this gaming thing.

I already have a stupidly large steam library. Will I bother to build another one? Seems pretty unlikely given the direction gaming has been going (gaas and other shenanigans). So maybe this will be good for the kids and their fortnite and anthem and whatever other stuff they like to spend their pocket money on.

For me, I'll just take my thousand odd games I'll never play to the gaming grave and do something else if it ever becomes a problem. It is probably a nice day outside after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.