• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Yoko Taro tweeted about Epic. 💀
Kill me and burn my remains in a trashcan if Nier 3 will release on the epic store thanks

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There are so many good games coming out that buying exclusivity is like whatever to me.

Maybe in 2013 when there was less choice it would have affected me, but POE just released a new league, DMCV just came out, Sekiro is coming tomorrow.

So many games coming out that a dozen 1 year exclusives isn't gonna make me rush to make an Epic account when there is plenty of stuff to play.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Q3-Q4 Steam looks really dire.

Sekiro is tomorrow, MK 11 in April and Three Kingdoms in May.

We know nothing about AAA games from June to December.
PC Gaming Show, E3, Gamescom and TGA announcements will have EGS logo all over the place.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to buy Sekiro tonight but had to spend my last $80 on buying flea medication for my cats.

pplGguA.png
You made the right choice. Don't worry, From games are timeless, waiting a few weeks or months won't make the game lose its luster ;)

Solution: Dont have cats.
Yeahhhh...I am not sure this is a good reply here. Not a pet person myself, never have and don't ever have the intention of being one but seems needlessly callous to say to someone making the decision to look after something they swore to be responsible for.

Send me your Steam ID and I'll gift ya Sekiro. Kittys always come first.
Hero. If Queeny was still here she would gift you 10 copies of Sekiro in return for your generosity.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I still think having MCC is a much bigger deal than people realise, literally every big streamer I saw was tripping over each other to say how excited they were for it to be on PC.

I fully expect it to be the best selling PC game this year and probably permanently get a place in atleast the top 5 played games on Steam for a long while.

That's on the assumption nothing drastic happens that turn people away of course.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
PC gaming that everyone has been nurturing for a decade is now being disrupted by Epic, and it might change the landscape for the long run.

Just shows that how fragile everything is, especially if money comes into play.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Had an internet outage for the better part of the day.

"No worry!" I said to myself, "I'll just play some games!"

Fire up Steam, it boots into offline mode. I start up RE2, and it doesn't boot because of the online check it requires since it hasn't been played since the end of February. I'd forgotten all about the verification thing Steam does. Never really encountered it, it's annoying as shit.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Fire up Steam, it boots into offline mode. I start up RE2, and it doesn't boot because of the online check it requires since it hasn't been played since the end of February. I'd forgotten all about the verification thing Steam does. Never really encountered it, it's annoying as shit.

That's Denuvo, not Steam. Steam's Offline Mode is indefinite.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That's Denuvo, not Steam. Steam's Offline Mode is indefinite.
I'm not sure how i mixed the two up, but I blame it on being half asleep/

It's still stupid and annoying as shit though. I just wish the fixes for stuff didn't require hoping for the publisher deciding to pull it out 8 months down the line or sliding down rabbit holes that ultimately do nothing but waste bandwidth as you download what you already bought for a single file.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It's annoying that Valve doesn't react to all this shit. Do something Gabe, post an article, delist games, announce HL3, whatever. There's no untouched cheeks left at this point, you can't swallow an entire sewer, have some pride.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I dunno how your internet setup is at home. But if it was me, I'd simply tether my mobile internet to the PC for the online check. My home and mobile internet are separated.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'm annoyed about Afterparty but I guess I can wait another year to play it, and I can't blame the developers if they got a decent deal out of Epic.
Just need to wait on my insurance refund to see if I can afford Sekiro.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno how your internet setup is at home. But if it was me, I'd simply tether my mobile internet to the PC for the online check. My home and mobile internet are separated.
I planned on doing it, but my phone and PC were in separate rooms. By time I got to my room with my phone, I decided to lay down and watch youtube until the outage ended, lol.

But still, internet checks are forever lame.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Humble's partnership with Epic won't result in Disco Elysium going Epic Exclusive.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where the hell is Sigil, wasn't it supposed to come out in January?

Does anyone know if there was some announcement about the delay?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll flash the cash on Sekiro once reviews come in, just in case it ends up being a complete mess on PC and need fixing.

Then again I've seen that some people streaming it already. I'm avoiding them for spoiler reasons, but can anyone tell me if someone is streaming it on PC and (if so) how it's performing so far?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
People told me Operencia on Game Pass is Play Anywhere, but wasn't Epic exclusive?
Also Outer Worlds should be a Play anywhere title, right? And it should launch on D1 on Game Pass too since Obsidian is now a Microsoft first party.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you guys saw the response of the media and people (including indies!) when Steam decided to put an statement on Metro Exodus when they left after being for preorder.

As well as being aggressive against the people leaving temporarily would only hurt them long term.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed about Afterparty but I guess I can wait another year to play it, and I can't blame the developers if they got a decent deal out of Epic.
Yeah, I just saw that one, too. Really disappointed. I can understand little studios like Nigh School taking the payout, especially for a game like Afterparty. Still won't buy it on EGS though.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
That one bummed me but then I remember how much I've been jerked around with Remedy games in the past: Alan Wake being an Xbox exclusive for a while, Quantum being Windows Store only for a while.
That's a very good point, this seems par for the course from them.

They take garbage deals, and nobody ends up playing their games. Then months later you once again find out that they're having money problems.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I mean, you guys saw the response of the media and people (including indies!) when Steam decided to put an statement on Metro Exodus when they left after being for preorder.

As well as being aggressive against the people leaving temporarily would only hurt them long term.

Yup, I don't see how they could respond without getting derided or called petty by the gaming press and Rami. Yeah, they could bar EGS exclusives from ever appearing on Steam, but that's the equivalent of going nuclear and no one wants that. I don't want them to start buying exclusives either, because lets face it, that's the only reason devs and publishers are jumping ship.

Better to just keep quiet and focus on improving Steam.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I think Valve will make an amendment to their existing contracts (or write all new ones ready to go), which stipulate that any game that has a store page must be released on Steam day-and-date alongside other stores. Because currently, some devs/pubs

1) are using Steam as a free promotional tool, and using Wishlist numbers to gauge interest
2) are using Steam Discussions for bug reporting, technical and support service, and gameplay queries
3) are duping customers into thinking games are releasing soon on Steam

None of which will, I am sure, sit well with Valve, regardless of the "It's just business, deal with it" angle. Valve have no problem providing these services, but I feel fairly confident saying that they do have a problem with providing these services when neither they nor their customers gain anything.

I do also expect anyone and everyone - from the media through devs to Era posters who just shout "monopoly! - to whine about it when it happens.

Is the Valve/Steam GDC thing today?

Yeah, in about... 8 hours or so? 12.45pm PST.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Well i am off to learn how to properly use my Airbrush for Army painting afterwork, 3 days of shooting shit and painting. So will generally be away from Era and the internet.

Means i should avoid most of the shitstorm and fallout from todays keynote speeches. Will only get a chance to see highlights each night.

Hopefully things will have calmed down by Monday.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's actually super easy to see why devs are going after the whole 30% cut thing on Steam compared to other platforms:

Because they have no other recompense/options on the others

Everyone already knows that. It's very hypocritical to blame Valve for the cut they demand and say nothing about all the rest but closed platforms and walled gardens have developers by the balls. Which is why...

PC is the spot where they have the most negotiating power/wiggle room because if Steam doesn't give them the terms they want, they would initially be able to take a flier and go on other stores, but Epic now basically makes it very easy to just cut bait entirely

...and because of this sort of behavior from developers that you described, that I am angry at both Epic and developers who agree to these deals. It is extremely, shockingly shortsighted by the developers to willingly participate in practices that jeopardize the only open gaming platform. These people are so blinded by Epic's cash that they're going to shoot their own foot in the process. If Epic causes damage to the PC market and it becomes unprofitable for them they'll just fuck off back to consoles. The only people left behind will be the developers and customers who will be at the complete mercy of walled gardens.

It's annoying that Valve doesn't react to all this shit. Do something Gabe, post an article, delist games, announce HL3, whatever. There's no untouched cheeks left at this point, you can't swallow an entire sewer, have some pride.

They shouldn't react, in my opinion. Epic is going to keep throwing moneyhats around and developers will gladly accept them. Nothing that Valve says or does will change the mind of someone who sees a money bag in front of him. Valve should keep doing what it's doing, double down on providing better services to customers and say nothing.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
Must suck to have your years long work exclusively put on a platform you don't personally care for/believe in.

Obsidian have a history of getting screwed one way or another while making promising looking games, sadly they're probably used to it at this point. Hopefully life at Microsoft will be better for them.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
GOOD FOR THE DEVS THO

Seriously, fuck everyone who still says that garbage.

From the Outer Worlds thread:
I really don't understand how people here can consecutively shit on the Epic Game Store but praise or even prefer the Windows Store.
Especially on talking points such as money, game exclusiveness, lack of features and spying on consumers.

This is Steam, Origin, Battle.net and Uplay all over again. The store is 3 MONTHS OLD and they already have a serious roadmap of improvements and proved they are listening to players way more than Steam did in its 15 years of existence. Yes, Epic is huge, they have money, they use metrics, but they seem to respect developers more than Valve ever did.
How can anyone seriously belive that.

Status
Not open for further replies.