• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Im pretty sure you can look forward to those articles tomorrow. I will be like The Simpsons:

"Valve announces free dedicated servers for every dev - because of epics conference yesterday"

"Valve announces 20/80 for everyone - because of epic and it is still not enough!"

"Valve released a beta of their GUI - because of epics competitive and consumerfriendly behaviour"

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeney is the 214th richest man on Earth, with a personal wealth of $7.21B. He alone can pay off a lot more, let alone when you bring Tencent into the mix.
Are these things going to turn a profit for Epic, though? Like, how much can they loss-lead, here? The store needs to make a net profit at some point, and I dunno if I see most games doing remotely well. The whole point of the way Epic moneyhats is that the game doesn't need to sell for the developer to see a profit, because Epic pays them out of pocket if sales don't cover costs.
Nothing. That is what i fear. :(
Nothing's kind of the best thing they can do. Keep the high ground, not resort to dirty tactics of their own.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
EGS business model doesn't seem sustainable in the long run.

Unfortunately Fortnite has made them enough money to run the store like this for 50 years even if Fortnite ceased to exist today. The money they are spending on all of this so far isn't anything compared to what that game has made and is making for them.

But I doubt this model will ever be profitable unless they find more ways to offload expenses to customers.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Let's imagine for a second that I received a moneyhat from Epic.

I would never, ever mention EGS (or consoles) by name in the Steam news post. I would make that post, I would roughly explain what's happening so that people who really want to play the game can find out how using brains and Google (or Bing), but I would never ever ever say on a Valve-owned Steam forum "THAT SPECIFIC OTHER STORE will have the game day one". If anything I would try to pretend I, the person writing the Steam post, and I, the person who got the moneyhat and wrote an EGS-positive post elsewhere, were two different people. I thought Exodus post was an outlier. But apparently everyone really wants to show off their lack of class now.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Are these things going to turn a profit for Epic, though? Like, how much can they loss-lead, here? The store needs to make a net profit at some point, and I dunno if I see most games doing remotely well. The whole point of the way Epic moneyhats is that the game doesn't need to sell for the developer to see a profit, because Epic pays them out of pocket if sales don't cover costs.

I mean sure, at some point, but the Fortnite war chest combined with Tencent has given them more than enough money to enable this predatory scheme to drive competitors out of the market. That's what we're looking at here. And it's not going to stop.

Oct 25, 2017
It's true that PC gaming is a lot bigger but the people that buy a lot of games every year are still a minority among them. We don't have to persuade the masses to take a stand, just those people that can really make a huge different in actual sales, especially for indie devs.
I hope you're right. Most PCEra posters aren't supporting them and hopefully PC gaming communities all over the internet are doing the same too. Consumers shouldn't give up their rights and support shitty anti-consumer practices just so corporations can make more money.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Let's imagine for a second that I received a moneyhat from Epic.

I would never, ever mention EGS (or consoles) by name in the Steam news post. I would make that post, I would roughly explain what's happening so that people who really want to play the game can find out how using brains and Google (or Bing), but I would never ever ever say on a Valve-owned Steam forum "THAT SPECIFIC OTHER STORE will have the game day one". If anything I would try to pretend I, the person writing the Steam post, and I, the person who got the moneyhat and wrote an EGS-positive post elsewhere, were two different people. I thought Exodus post was an outlier. But apparently everyone really wants to show off their lack of class now.
Yeah. Despite how you feel about the deals themselves, there is a disturbing lack of self awareness among the people who made them. Zero PR skills, basically.

No one is thinking about their future beyond this big sack of Epic money that they have right now.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I decided to clean up my wishlist based on today's news, removed Control and Ancestors, and ended up surprised that it seems that Outward will be released on Steam after all. Truth be told, I have a gigantic backlog and while I'm enjoying being able to preorder games and play them on release day, I wouldn't mind playing the patient gamer card once again when needed. Plus, we will be getting MCC, Konami Collections, Ace Attorney, and many indies that will probably get more attention on Steam now with all those games being moved to 2020. Not happy with EGS throwing money hats for every publisher, but can't say that I'm that bothered at this point.

Tayls

Oct 27, 2017
And now they are taking games a day before release in case of Sinking City. Also telling everyone that they are not "a walled garden" because they are now selling their games on Humble Bundle is just weird.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised MK11 hasn't been announced yet for EGS. Double combo of known PC troll Ed boon and no.1 PC port jobs maker, WB would have guaranteed it on there I thought.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Wonder what all those Twitter devs with crappy mediocre games think now.

Also

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/rollercoaster-tycoon-adventures/home

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
I'll leave it, but it's tiring seeing the question in every thread, or why we're bothered about a few more clicks.

Tiring is exactly what ERA as a whole has become. Or was from day 1, one might argue. The last week when I barely lurked was more relaxed so I'm out for the time being for my own sake, made the same decision on GAF long before youknowwhat and didn't ever regret it. Never hold onto things that turned to poo just because you're used to them.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
And now they are taking games a day before release in case of Sinking City. Also telling everyone that they are not "a walled garden" because they are now selling their games on Humble Bundle is just weird.
I'm pretty sure it was announced recently that it had been delayed (again) until later in the year.

Still shitty don't get me wrong, but not day before release shitty at least.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Tiring is exactly what ERA as a whole has become. Or was from day 1, one might argue. The last week when I barely lurked was more relaxed so I'm out for the time being for my own sake, made the same decision on ERA long before youknowwhat and didn't ever regret it. Never hold onto things that turned to poo just because you're used to them.
Hard to disagree with you

I tend to stick to community threads

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
I'm ok waiting a year for everything. I have plenty of backlog to work through and I'm too out of games to care about experiencing things outside of the "hype" time frame.

Also I would argue that fortnite is a bad game from the one round I played.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
The least the can make is to force devs to have their games released on Steam if they create an entry/store page for them, once they're completed. It is not fair that they use the platform for promotion and marketing purposes and then decide to leave just like that.

I really can't see them doing that. Valve has always been about giving developers freedom to do whatever it is they want. Even though Epic is exploiting that heavily at the moment, it's just hard to imagine Valve abandoning their ethos.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry Epic Store haters, I now support Epic Games!

Dear Tim Sweeney, the souls games are so popular on PC... get on it!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
People are always bringing up "how else can they compete?", and I normally highlight the console games which are now making their way to PC as one type of exclusivity I'm okay with (assuming they are the reason why it happened).

Thanks to the Epic event, I think I figured out another way which would work pretty well for everyone: If Epic were to get involved in the localization of PC games that get stuck in various countries in asia. There are many games on Steam which are Chinese only with no luck of them getting translated. There are MMO's like Lost Ark Online which are locked down and a pain in the ass to access outside Korea, etc.

Exclusivity deals which open up games to more people (in this case, English speaking people) are fine.

That's kinda why GOG exclusivity on older games works- because CDP take the time to make changes to them to make them work on modern systems.

Epic could've found a similar niche, but they chose to do things the anti-consumer way.

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't see them doing that. Valve has always been about giving developers freedom to do whatever it is they want. Even though Epic is exploiting that heavily at the moment, it's just hard to imagine Valve abandoning their ethos.
I know it would be out of character for Valve to do it and honestly it would be kinda petty from them.

But...I dont know. My hope is that devs realize that Epic's proposal isnt good for them and their customers.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

the relevant bit here is that there is an expansion coming soon.

considering the game doesnt have an ending, its long overdue >_>

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Should we expect these games at full price on Steam a year from now? How hilarious it would be if suddenly Epic started having sales when these games were going on steam...

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's true. The adjusted splits weren't a public acknowledgement of some backroom-deal secret; it was Valve's attempt to have those publishers reconsider doubling down on their own platforms.

There were no fixed revenue tiers prior to that announcement. 30% was the standard and certain publishers had negotiated more amicable terms with Valve along the years. That wasn't some trade secret, just like the 30% split was never publicly stated by Valve and yet ended up being widely known.

The streamlined tiers were not meant to appease big publishers. Valve has always been in touch with major publishers, a lot of changes to Steam were made to keep them onboard, they were fully aware about what sort of moves were being done and they also knew the EGS was coming. There are always rumblings around developer circles and these are ultimately small communities where most people are fairly well connected.

The announcement about the revenue tiers was mainly done in response to public pressure and to make things more transparent for devs worldwide, in the face of growing dissatisfaction with Steam and the bad PR they've been receiving lately. The new revenue tiers are meant to reward successful independent studios and teams; they're not going to make publishers reconsider anything, only failure will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.