• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oct 25, 2017
PC gamers over the years have had to deal with a lot bigger problems than a few games being moneyhatted for a year, so I believe that this new normal will come and go as other phases did.
But PC Gaming has really grown since then. There are a lot of new 'casual' (for the lack of a better word) PC users, who, unlike us, don't care where they're going to play games and what features they have access to. People that just want to play games. Sadly, I don't think we're winning this one. I'll happily eat a crow if I'm proven wrong though.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
But PC Gaming has really grown since then. There are a lot of new 'casual' (for the lack of a better word) PC users, who, unlike us, don't care where they're going to play games and what features they have access to. People that just want to play games. Sadly, I don't think we're winning this one. I'll happily eat a crow if I'm proven wrong though.
Sadly, I agree.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
It's always been 70/30 across the board. The split wasn't public knowledge until Sega sued THQ over Company of Heroes 2 pre-purchase revenue and the maths aligned with the figures mentioned in the court documents.

What I'm saying is that certain publishers (some of the big players with a pretty high volume of business) already had different deals in place. Valve never made the split public because they didn't have to.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see what's to "win" or lose here.
Lately, PC Gaming has gotten so big it's hard to follow games you even want to play.
A one year delay means less games on the plate now, and a year later I can see what stood the test of time.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually, Epic isn't going to be able to afford paying off so many massive publishers. If they don't bring their client up to par and stop acting like brazen dicks by then, they're going to have a problem.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

EGS everyone. Our pc gaming savior is here, bringing heavy rain to home pc market!!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Eventually, Epic isn't going to be able to afford paying off so many massive publishers. If they don't bring their client up to par and stop acting like brazen dicks by then, they're going to have a problem.

Tim Sweeney is the 214th richest man on Earth, with a personal wealth of $7.21B. He alone can pay off a lot more, let alone when you bring Tencent into the mix.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I've got mixed feelings about this. Quantic Dream's games come to PC, and probably other Sony exclusives will follow, but it's on EGS. Just need KH3 or Bloodborne or Persona 5 to fully win me over though.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's to "win" or lose here.
Lately, PC Gaming has gotten so big it's hard to follow games you even want to play.
A one year delay means less games on the plate now, and a year later I can see what stood the test of time.
That's one way to look at things. But it does suck if you want to enjoy games Day 1 and also care about the features you're being provided.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Biggest winner in all of this is going to be Jeff Vogel, because there sure are enough Spiderweb Software games to tide me over a few years.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
What I'm saying is certain publishers (some of the big players) already had different deals in place. Valve never made the split public because they didn't have to.

I don't think that's true. The adjusted splits weren't a public acknowledgement of some backroom-deal secret; it was Valve's attempt to have those publishers reconsider doubling down on their own platforms.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I dont know how to use steam spy and I know it is run by one of EGS's heads but cant someone more knowledgable just look up sales numbers? I guess we only have made up numbers for EGS though.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Calm down, everyone. Maybe Epic is fudging the numbers, maybe it isn't, and maybe it's fudging them a little less than expected. It's kinda too early to know. There's even an option they're not fudging them but EGS users tend to buy new stuff more than the old stuff so it's less of a great picture than it sounds it is.

Hopefully someone hijacks an EpicSpy into EGS at some point this year and we can see how is the situation really going.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Last Light Redux didn't sell 2 million copies at launch, Paul.

I get what he means but nah chief

Yeah, no way.

Still doesn't make comparison useful at all.

Metro Exodus even (probably) sold better on Steam than Last Light even though Epic paid to remove it from sale.

I dont know how to use steam spy and I know it is run by one of EGS's heads but cant someone more knowledgable just look up sales numbers? I guess we only have made up numbers for EGS though.

We aren't going Metro Last Light 2013 prelaunch sales on Steam (without cd key sales).

Calm down, everyone. Maybe Epic is fudging the numbers, maybe it isn't, and maybe it's fudging them a little less than expected. It's kinda too early to know. There's even an option they're not fudging them but EGS users tend to buy new stuff more than the old stuff so it's less of a great picture than it sounds it is.

Hopefully someone hijacks an EpicSpy into EGS at some point this year and we can see how is the situation really going.

They don't need to fudge when there is no comparison point for data at all. All it needs to do is sound good and be vague so you can claim misunderstanding if someone questions it.

After testing the Epic Games store client ourselves we are positive that the customer experience is excellent and hope you will feel the same.

This is just, marketing BS, sponsored by Epic.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I still find it extremely funny that Steam is the way these companies go about sending information about how their game is not on Steam.
yeah it's weird especially since when devs post on the PS Blog they never mentions other platforms (obviously), but the Steam announcements section and forums seem to be the wild west when it comes of this stuff, I'm amazed Valve doesn't have policies when it comes of this.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are always bringing up "how else can they compete?", and I normally highlight the console games which are now making their way to PC as one type of exclusivity I'm okay with (assuming they are the reason why it happened).

Thanks to the Epic event, I think I figured out another way which would work pretty well for everyone: If Epic were to get involved in the localization of PC games that get stuck in various countries in asia. There are many games on Steam which are Chinese only with no luck of them getting translated. There are MMO's like Lost Ark Online which are locked down and a pain in the ass to access outside Korea, etc.

Exclusivity deals which open up games to more people (in this case, English speaking people) are fine.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one has the Monhun pic with all the stores and the ashen with epic only on hand?
Yeah, that one I've got. The metro one I haven't.

wp047tkqxdd21.png

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

It's true that PC gaming is a lot bigger but the people that buy a lot of games every year are still a minority among them. We don't have to persuade the masses to take a stand, just those people that can really make a huge different in actual sales, especially for indie devs.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
How likely is a future where developers(of larger games) auction their games to stores? Clearly they are making good and safe money, if they start getting sales regardless of whatever store they are in, it becomes more profitable to isolate games.

This could lead to a fragmented environment where stores have to gamble on games and possibility(likely)screw us to cover the extra cost of paying developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.