• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Valve says something about the shit Epic pulls off in their GDC show.

The least they should do is close the store pages and forums down for those games. Seeing the developers using Steam as their marketing and social media platform only to go Epic exclusive a few weeks before release is disgusting.
They can't do that as the whole things comes with the deal they make and also it will make them look hella petty.

Valve should have been more proactive in making sure they saw this coming but they didn't and now they are caught between a rock and a hard place. They can't afford to burn any bridges and it is clear the dev community is 100% behind Epic as I have not seen a single one outside of era dev posters coming to their defence.

Instead Valve took steps to ensure the user experience kept getting better and better on Steam but they did not anticipate this side swipe from Epic or any other potential rivals. Their insular nature and lack of focus probably contributed to this but personally I am glad that they looked into making the user experience on Steam better over cut throat tactics so I am happy to wait for any games to come to Steam. I value what they do more over some games and I trust them with my purchases more than Epic.

When EA jumped shipped and Ubi started their own store they should have started seeing the writing on the wall and made moves but hindsight is 20/20.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
My favorite part today are the sony fans in denial.

"Of course, Heavy Rain is owned by QD, but Detroit and Beyond Two Souls are owned by sony, they won't come"

10 minutes later - all of them have been announced.

"Yea but Bloodborne will never come, it's co-developed by sony"
I think today showed us that, if you pay enough money, everything can be released on every platform, nothing is "safe".

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Didn't steam reduce the cut for big games? Because at this point Epic is only stealing big games, so the cut they are competing with isn't the 30%.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Shinobi just States he's not in loop of the issues and it's asking for clarification. It doesn't read as dismissing them
Which is how people always start their concern trolling with in those threads. Not saying Shinobi is doing that, but it's fucking tiring answering the same questions.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't steam reduce the cut for big games? Because at this point Epic is only stealing big games, so the cut they are competing with isn't the 30%.

They did but I don't think THAT many would benefit. Ubi games, probably Outer Worlds, maaaaybe Control (but Remedy has a history of underselling).

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017

The cut was never 30% for big publishers on Steam, that was basically an open secret in the industry.

Valve just streamlined the rules and made it clear to the public they had different splits, which was the wrong call. They should have completely eliminated tiers and gone with a fixed 20% for everyone.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. The golden age is over.
We are about to experience another era of GFWL.

Thanks Tim.

I am ready for an all-out war.

5601d71bfda57b33c17ca0ff298263db9c452e3bed1dfc309a4d43cc5a6755d9.jpg

Epic's moneyhat barrage will not determine the outcome. Customers will. If they buckle, so be it, but we all need to make damn sure that PC gamers are well informed about what's at stake. I have faith in the community.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
By the way, if they were also considering Steam pre-orders and were referring to the Redux version of Last Light (as I think they were because, as a company, if I have better looking data why should I use the worse looking ones?) we have a 11,942 all-time peak users playing Exodus at the same time on Steam compared to a 2,819 all-time peak for Last Light Redux.

So yeah, there's that.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Steam reduced it's cut for successful games

Epic's moneyhat is still a better deal b/c it's guaranteed money in the bank whether the game sells or not. If it does end up selling, that's just a bonus to the publisher.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Who are these people saying "Now its time to pirate!!!!!"

Good job fools. Guess what we're going to hear in every EGS thread from now on.....

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Steam reduced it's cut for successful games

Epic's moneyhat is still a better deal b/c it's guaranteed money in the bank whether the game sells or not. If it does end up selling, that's just a bonus to the publisher.

And it won't sell because they are in a shitty store and they will think it was the right decision, even though they could have made more money not going exclusive in the first place.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Please remember to keep your composure in EGS threads. There are always new members unsure of the situation or differing opinions that aren't worth being mean to. You can get your point across without going overboard.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I am ready for an all-out war.

5601d71bfda57b33c17ca0ff298263db9c452e3bed1dfc309a4d43cc5a6755d9.jpg

Epic's moneyhat barrage will not determine the outcome. Customers will. If they buckle, so be it, but we all need to make damn sure that PC gamers are well informed about what's at stake. I have faith in the community.
This is a game for Epic to win and Valve to lose. In this scenario the guy doing the chasing will have the better chance of success vs the guy that can only react to his opponent. Valve either need to start making moves or lose inch by inch.

A new normal is coming to PC gaming. Lets see if competition really works in the customers favor.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
So, to combat exclusivity, Epic is making their own game store and then packing it with exclusives......?

They're claiming to solve a problem they themselves are helping to create?

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
The way Epic are going all the interesting games wont be on steam for a year, I really wanted to play control too but thats not happening now.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think Valve cares honestly. All these games are timed exclusives. They'll be on steam in 1 year and Epic is practically marketing these games for their eventual steam release too.

If these games sell well on Steam later then Epic looks like fools. If they flop on Steam later then devs are gonna be upset they took the deal.

Its a shitshow but I still don't see how it really hurts Steam longterm. The only ones hurting in all this is devs who could potentially lose out on a lot of money with Steam.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
A new normal is coming to PC gaming. Lets see if competition really works in the customers favor.

PC gamers over the years have had to deal with a lot bigger problems than a few games being moneyhatted for a year, so I believe that this new normal will come and go as other phases did. In the end Epic will have to provide actually good service to customers. They won't be able to moneyhat games forever.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its a shitshow but I still don't see how it really hurts Steam longterm. The only ones hurting in all this is devs who could potentially lose out on a lot of money with Steam.

I agree. I look at all these people taking the moneybags and think 'you should know better. You're doing a disservice to what makes PC gaming great.' I've been gaming on PC since the 90's, and what Epic is doing seems like a coup against everything it has been up to this point in terms of freedom and availability. There were signs though . . . when modding on certain titles like the Battlefield series became impossible, I began to take notice. I do think the purchasing public is going to stand up though, at least I hope they do. I have no problem not shopping at Walmart or using Uber because of their business practices, I have no problems adding Epic to that list.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I still don't think Valve cares honestly. All these games are timed exclusives. They'll be on steam in 1 year and Epic is practically marketing these games for their eventual steam release too.

If these games sell well on Steam later then Epic looks like fools. If they flop on Steam later then devs are gonna be upset they took the deal.

I can see this crap hurting Steam for the simple reason that it will end up hurting the industry as a whole.

Developers and publishers are turning their customers against themselves, people are waiting a year to purchase the game they want, therefore reinforcing the idea of "yeah better wait instead of purchasing the game at launch" that so many developers were speaking out against, piracy will most certainly rise, not that much but it will.

And on top of that, for every smaller studio that's signing these deals, when all the money they got from Epic will be gone, a big chunk of their potential customers alienated and their most recent game will have likely sold quite poorly on the EGS, I feel that getting publishers to finance their new game will be harder. In a few years many people will be regretting these deals, I think.

Not Take Two or Ubisoft though.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
PC gamers over the years have had to deal with a lot bigger problems than a few games being moneyhatted for a year, so I believe that this new normal will come and go as other phases did. In the end Epic will have to provide actually good service to customers. They won't be able to moneyhat games forever.
That is what I am hoping out of all this. It is the best case scenario for all involved, games to just come out and not be exclusive and have each store duke it out for customers.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

No they won't.

Fuck, maybe one day EGS will be an equal to steam and we'll have an another choice among many.

Today isn't it.

The humble bundle thing is nice. Lets see how it works out. Nothing else has changed though.

We survived the DRM/piracy crisis of 2006-2010, we'll make it through this just fine.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure Valve cares about millions of copies of high profile games being sold elsewhere. Every company ultimately cares about money and that's a lot of dollars that would have landed in Valves hands otherwise.
They would be really dumb if they wouldn't care.

People who bought Metro on EGS won't buy the same game on Steam in a year. Same goes for Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, Control, future Ubisoft titles and everything else.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The cut was never 30% for big publishers on Steam, that was basically an open secret in the industry.

Nah, it's always been 30% across the board. It was actually the Sega/THQ lawsuit over Company of Heroes 2 pre-purchase revenue that propelled the 70/30 split into public knowledge as the maths aligned with the figures mentioned in the court documents.

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018

I think not caring would be shortsighted for them though, by attracting new customers Epic can potentially sell them new stuff in the future, getting them invested in the EGS ecosystem like people (such as us in this thread) are currently invested in the Steam ecosystem, with Fortnite EGS also has the eyes of younger users on their store (at least those that play on PC), users that one day will grow up and have money to spend potentially on their store if they're already invested in the ecosystem. They cannot convert everyone to buy their games but some inevitably will.
There's much more here going on than simply getting revenue from those exclusive, it's about getting people attached to the EGS so they purchase more games there.
EGS could even start to give out skins for Fortnite for puchases of games, getting more users invested in the system.

Well at least those are my 2 cents, if I were Valve I would definitely care.

edit: typing from the phone sucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.