• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem isn't even the worst game on that top sellers list.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
The next level of games as a service is when even running a game is an active service.

I would not mind as long as we have the choice. Say, I want to play a new game which has just been released, yet my PC does not fulfil the requirements and I don't have the money (or the will) to upgrade it. I could pay $30 to play it for a month and then, I would be back to the games which my PC can run. Five years later, I want to play that game again, and now, I don't need Cloud Gaming, because I have upgraded my PC in the meantime. It would essentially be a way to play that new game right now in the best conditions, and postpone the costly upgrade of my PC by 6 months, maybe a year or more. I would like that option for Cyberpunk 2077.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
*imagining Era's reaction:

tenor.gif

Once Era whiffed on Wildlands I knew we were all insane

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, the vast majority of players aren't rational thinking customers who care about quality and mission variety. They see cool guns, mechlike suits, loot and the company behind it made Mass Effect! Sold!
That's the reason why I believe Epic's strategy will work. Because these people don't give a shit about features, as long as they get that cool new game.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
"Launch sales almost as good as that one game we released 7 years ago" is hardly the resounding cry of success that some of you seem to be hearing. Anthem was the "big" game for February; it was always going to be at or near the top.

In terms of BioWare NPD trivia, I think it's more amusing that Inquisition, supposedly their best selling title over all, never even charted on NPD (though back then it was Top 10 by physical retail unit sales).

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if someone already posted this but it's almost scary how important the Chinese market is going to be in the future.

Since last checking in, sales of Slay the Spire have risen to over 1.5 million and the game has seen some interesting growth in unexpected markets. In a talk given at GDC, Mega Crit announced that Slay the Spire has seen a sharp rise of interest in China, accounting for nearly half of all sales.

"The thing that's really important here is that China made up 43% of all sales(…) and this is before any localisation was available in the game, so there were a lot of confused players."

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Once Era whiffed on Wildlands I knew we were all insane
Lol true.

Guys, the vast majority of players aren't rational thinking customers who care about quality and mission variety. They see cool guns, mechlike suits, loot and the company behind it made Mass Effect! Sold!
That's the reason why I believe Epic's strategy will work. Because these people don't give a shit about features, as long as they get that cool new game.
Yeah, true. I'm in the Outward discord, and I've seen lots of people have already pre-ordered the game on Epic store. Crazy.

I believe a huge percentage of PUBG players are from China too, and there are many other games with similar success.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem sales still feel off the mark compared to expectations and there are more people watching Sims 4, Mass Effect 3 or Age of Empires 2 streams on twitch.

I guess it bodes decent for the people hoping it doesn't go the way of Andromeda, but I doubt EA are happy with how it's doing overall. It's a AAA, big studio online thing; it was always gonna chart.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I am beyond hyped for new Bloodlines coming to GOG.

So hyped in fact that I just bought the 2 BloodRayne games.

Now I want to rush through the rest of Metro Exodus, and I no longer care about Sekiro, because holy shit, NEW BLOODLINES!!!!

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry: New Dawn is already being sold at a 50% discount on Ubisoft's store. It came out 15th February.

Who the fuck would buy a game at full price these days?

Even cheaper on CDKeys. Unless you want to play a game right when it comes out, the smartest option is to wait for a reasonable discount.

I'll probably pick up New Dawn when it goes under £10, which at this rate is gonna happen in a few weeks.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Judging by word of mouth, Anthem should be 75% off already.

But at this rate, The Division 2 will reach 50% off faster than Anthem, which is fine by me.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it really is mostly about the specific game. New Dawn appears to have pretty much been a bomb, and it didn't have much pre-release discussioi

Games that are hits tend to hold better. Division 2 is also not really pushing a season pass in the way previous Ubi games have so I'm not sure if it'll be as aggressively priced as say, AC Odyssey.

Sekiro is selling well in preorders, doesn't have DLC to push it appears (so far) and is from Activision. I'd expect that to hold fairly well.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to drop a line to anyone potentially running Windows Insider Preview builds of Windows 10.

Had an update tonight that pushed me to build 18365.16 and it broke DirectX. All games would CTD on start up. Had to roll back to 18351.8 to fix it.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big market out there for paying $40 for a reskin of a repetitive game most people probably never beat in the first place.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Tbf Ubisoft games drop their prices rather quickly, and Activision's have, at most 50% a few years later.
Yeah, I'm not sure what strategy Ubisoft is pursuing, but they have huge discounts for a lot of stuff even after just a month.

People still buy the games full price, but they're already selling the ultimate edition of Odyssey for $40 (and you can knock that down to just above $30 if you have coins to trade). Especially with service-type games, I don't understand why people wouldn't just wait (Odyssey is a better game now than it was 6 months ago, and you can get it all for 25% of the original price).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Velocity 2x had notorious tech issues. Poorly timed launch around Windows 10 launch IIRC caused it a ton of issues and the fixes came via Nvidia and Microsoft rather than the devs.
Hmm i know they foxed win10 issues, but this stuttering is a major turn off
Gonna see what happens if i play the game using my intel hd card. If that eliminates stuttering i can keep playing using it :p

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't like that Ubisoft started doing Bethesda thing with Season Passes. They will drop prices of Gold Editions but they won't drop prices of Season Pass. That is why you can buy Odyssey Gold edition for almost the same price of Season Pass. Watch_Dogs 2 Gold Edition is cheaper than game+SP separately and SP is more expensive than game itself. And those are not only examples.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are we ready for Epic day because today will be bloodbath.

My cynical guess is Kingdom Hearts 3 followed by claims that without funding from Epic it just wouldn't have been possible for one of the biggest games from Japan to ever get a PC release. Following this will be stats on the growth in number of Epic accounts over the last year, but no stats on how many of those accounts have bought anything. However, this audience will be pitched as amazing sales potential regardless. There will then be a conversation about achievement support coming by the end of the year. This tidbit will get more media praise than Steam's announcement of opening up their network for games to use did last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.