• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You say there is a way to play Doom Eternal with mouse+keyboard without having to use the Bethesda Store 🤔

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Well, a little underwhelming. I suppose this is potentially great for casual gamers though, as long as they have a decent connection.
Me, I personally don't care.
I'm curious to see what 4K 60fps streaming looks like compared to running on local hardware.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
even if the experience is identical in quality to the best of a local setup, I can't get behind a platform that removes my control over my library

The experience will be the same. I have played Crash Bandicoot 1 with Shadow after I benefited from a discount during Black Friday, and I would not have been able to tell whether the game was running locally, except for the fact that my fans were totally silent.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming games is way too flawed a concept to make it big, especially in the US.
It'll find it's "niche of normals" who are interested in gaming but know next to nothing about games, think a subscription model is a better value, can't feel streaming latency, and/or have excellent internet. But there's a snowballs chance in hell that dedicated gaming hardware will ever go away.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are all seriously underestimating Cloud Gaming.

If Google Stadia works like Shadow.tech, then you could enjoy Cloud Gaming with a 25 Mbps bandwith.

nmvqYDB.png
To me the limiting factor has been the data center distance and reliability of my connection, especially during peak hours.

001bqjhd.png

002t3jck.png

Like I've said in all these threads, it both works better than I expected at first, and is noticeable enough that I can see I'm playing a video over the internet with added latency. When you add issues like ownership, or lack of ways to modify the experience (for example, adding graphic packs in Football Manager, or a loot filter and a trade macro in Path of Exile) I can't see it as anything else than a complementary service I'd use on select games under very specific conditions.

Yes, cloud gaming is the future... which will come sooner to select locations under particular circumstances. Not just mine. On the PC space in general, even with a theoretical perfect performance, it's still taking away a lot of options from the platform (mods, reshade, local file modification, etc.). It's a big trade off.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'll be getting that new bundle soon myself. I don't want anything from tier 1 so if anyone wants any of those games, feel free to pm me :3

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Even if my internet is capable, I like being able to tinker with my games (on PC anyway), and streaming wouldn't allow that, so while it looks pretty, I'm going to give it a pass. I've seen this song and dance before and google isn't exactly one to stick to a project before canning it if it doesn't completely destroy market leaders

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
From the developer side, I wonder what they charge for the multiple view ports/multiple Stadia shards.

Like, if it's a flat fee (or 30% dev cut/whatever), can i run Google into the ground by just creating a shitty game that utilizes 100 view ports?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So in the future to be able to play all games you want you will probably need to spend over 100$ (and that is lowballing) per month. No control over games, no mods, no sales...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
But what if more than one person is using your internet connection at home? Or worse, two people streaming games.

Better hope you don't play too many hours if you have a cap.

25mbp/s, if I'm not doing my math wrong, is 10GB per hour (3MB X 60 X 60).

If you have Comcast, and both people average 2 hours a day, that's 120 hours a month. Or 1.2TB. You're already over your cap by 200GB and that doesn't include a single other usage for bandwidth.

Memphis-Ahn

Nov 7, 2017
The only thing I'd play on Stadia would be long turn-based games or MMOs where latency isn't an issue.
I could see an always-alive always-accessible Ultima Online shard on Stadia being a thing.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
It's something I'm curious to try, as I have a fast enough connection to see it at its full potential. Streaming isn't for me, though, so it's just a curiousity for now.

The future sure makes it much easier to go PC only, at least.

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely mindblowing to me that the "Share a savegame" thing was touted so much as a feature.
Is this a thing the youths of today want?
I get "play with your favorite racist Youtuber" but "play this exact moment with their exact loadout" is just.....why?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to hear people still having data caps
that shit has been gone from home internet in my country for like..12 years at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Better hope you don't play too many hours if you have a cap.

25mbp/s, if I'm not doing my math wrong, is 10GB per hour (3MB X 60 X 60).

If you have Comcast, and both people average 2 hours a day, that's 120 hours a month. Or 1.2TB. You're already over your cap by 200GB and that doesn't include a single other usage for bandwidth.
Yup, unless they lobby hard for the next government to restore the net neutrality in the US, or they aggresively install Google Fiber everywhere, this thing is dead on the water.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Because the concept is similar except Shadow is you renting a cloud PC while Google will likely bake in some games along with their sub fee

This is stupid, I know what both are

Closest thing to Stadia was OnLive and in today's market PS Now and xCloud in my opinion. That is same concept of running game code on servers and using client to serve that content to end user.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will not be using Google Stadia as I find mods, trainers and tweaking files to be a fundamental part of my gaming experience, it's why PC is my main gaming plattform.

Doomedfool

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to hear people still having data caps
that shit has been gone from home internet in my country for like..12 years at least.

Yeah, I really wish Comcast would get rid of that shit here. I know I can pay them an extra 50 a month to get rid of the cap, but my wife is already bitching about how much we pay every month. Our only other option is AT&T, but it's slower, and has the same data cap. :(

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Does anyone own Velocity 2X?
For some reason the game tends to stutter from time to time with random FPS drops. These are really affecting the game because of its focus on speeding through the stages.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many questions left totally unanswered by the Google presentation, including incredibly obvious fundamental issues like latency, ownership, cost, etc.

I thought some of the features look legitimately awesome, like the game state sharing thing, but the service is still a non-starter while all those problems exist.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
gaming streaming service? never if I can help it

not for streaming \/
7LsxkmI.jpg

I'm OK with netflix kinda service, but games is different matter. And anyway, I'm pretty sure world is not ready for it anyway, no matter how much corps wish it was otherwise.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly it seems neither Valve nor Epic Store will be streamed and no recording either.
I guess, press might report on important things.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Patreon couldn't survive charging all creators just a 5 percent rake on the monthly subscriptions they earn from fans while building commerce tools like CRMs and merchandise to try to stay ahead of Twitch, YouTube and Google. But it also didn't want to screw all its loyal early creators.

So today, Patreon is overhauling its pricing. Any creator can still get a 5 percent rate, but just for a Lite version without bonus tools or different fan tiers. All of Patreon's extra features will now be in the Pro plan, with an 8 percent rate, but with existing creators grandfathered in at 5 percent. And the new Premium enterprise plan for 12 percent (9 percent for existing creators) will offer full-service merchandise sales, multi-user team accounts and dedicated customer support.

If you want the lower grandfathered rates, you'll need to join Patreon in the next few weeks before the new rates go into effect in early May.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/19/patreon-ups-its-revenue-cut-but-grandfathers-in-old-creators/

You need money to provide services to users?

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sadly it seems neither Valve nor Epic Store will be streamed and no recording either.
I guess, press might report on important things.
I think Alden said theirs will be in the GDC vault, but who knows when that's up.
Maybe they'll have some kind of steam blog detailing some of the talking points.

edit: Damn yoo Nabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.