• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I still dont get the whole Destiny soft reboots with 2 (and now 3). The key of long lived GAAS games (and MMOs), have always been that you never feel as if all your entire story with the game meant anything (even when new WoW expansions launch, you still keep items for bragging rights). Finishing the game and starting a new one every 3 years gives a "do I really want to continue in the sequel" moment.

I understand that the tradeoff is that not resetting the game would mean that you will normally end with a dwindling population as it is harder to attract new users to a game that has been running for 4+ years, but many F2P games have been able to avoid this.
Yeah. The thing with these type of games is that they just need to keep recieving content. Just look at Rainbow Six for a proper example of a GaaS game.

Execs just want to shit out the game, two DLC packs and call it a day instead of just keep releasing content.
That is why something like Anthem is a F2P game. People got quite upset at the suggestion, especially since you have to pay for it up front. But really if it had been $0 it would have been a whole different story.

I mean it still would have sucked, but maybe more people would be drawn to it. I would have at least seen the download size before deciding it wasn't worth the time.
Anthem being F2P wouldn't really make a difference. The game's issues are mostly design and content based.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It's mostly just cosmetic stuff (IIRC, the alternate handguns can't be upgraded, so very limited utility there). If you think you'll be replaying the game a bunch (and the game is very replayable), then I think it's worthwhile. It's nice to have different outfits/music to play with when you're going back through. But if you're expecting the game to just be a one-and-done thing, then you can skip the DLC with no worries.
Thanks! I guess I can skip the DLC then, or only buy it if I really want it :)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Lol, as expected. He has no spine.

Speaking of The Division 2, Eurogamer's review is interesting.

KSZALyY.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
A F2P game lives or die by its gameplay loop and reward system. Both the gameplay (getting better gear doesnt really make you feel stronger) and reward (most equipment is not distinct) system were broken in Anthem. Anthem would have been obliterated with "I just dont see myself playing this for long periods of time".

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
PCera is basically the only place on Era where Jim is often criticized.

Usually for his Steam hot takes, though.
I lost a ton of respect for him when he got on his high horse about how any game with microtransactions can't be up for GOTY, even when it's just cosmetics. This was when Overwatch came out and he was like "I love this game but it won't be on my GOTY list because you can buy loot boxes." It's like, who gives a shit when its just cosmetics? If it's pay-to-win, then yeah, drag that shit through the mud. But I don't think cosmetics are a big deal.

Beers in a city are so expensive ;-;

At least we have good breweries.
Yeah, whenever I'm in Denver it's a nice reminder how good we have it in Fort Collins. I remember when I got upset that New Belgium raised their prices from $4 a pint to $5.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I lost a ton of respect for him when he got on his high horse about how any game with microtransactions can't be up for GOTY, even when it's just cosmetics. This was when Overwatch came out and he was like "I love this game but it won't be on my GOTY list because you can buy loot boxes." It's like, who gives a shit when its just cosmetics? If it's pay-to-win, then yeah, drag that shit through the mud. But I don't think cosmetics are a big deal.

He makes some good videos, like the THQN one, where he was one of the few who actually said what needed to be said. Good video.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Games taking political topics and then pretending they're apolitical is a topic that should be addressed. I don't have the energy to watch Jim's vid right now, but I'm glad someone with a platform is saying it.

Ubisoft are cowards.
What's Adam Jensen doing in there? I don't recall the Deus Ex devs ever shying away from the political aspects of cyberpunk (unlike CDPR)
I haven't seen it yet, but I'd imagine it's due to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Aug Lives Matter thing. I can't recall how it was received but I don't think it was positive.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Since Acti is managing it try and check if and when Crash had it, same for the release time.

Does JaseC remember?

There was no pre-load for Crash, but it wasn't exactly a new release and may not have been considered significant enough to warrant a pre-load despite weighing in at almost 30GB. It unlocked worldwide coincident with the store update.

Besides wallpapers, does Nier GOTY add anything?

Nope.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they would be forgiving. They wouldn't be pissed at the game, they would just forget and let it die quietly instead.

Sunk cost fallacy is probably gonna keep Anthem afloat for a while.
Nah, they'd be less angry about it since it cost them nothing is my point. They'd eventually move on if it didn't get fixed ofc, but the fact it cost full price and it's fucked? Yeah, people are (rightfully) pissed.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
There was no pre-load for Crash, but it wasn't exactly a new release and may not have been considered significant enough to warrant a pre-load despite weighing in at almost 30GB. It unlocked worldwide coincident with the store update.
Thanks man I appreciate it.

Also rip that's a late unlock.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is still four days and some change away, so it's still a little early for a pre-load. Given the high-profile nature of the game, it getting the Call of Duty treatment (pre-load + three-pronged rolling unlock) isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Yeah I honestly only care for the release time seeing as how it's faster for me to DL then it is to decrypt.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Games taking political topics and then pretending they're apolitical is a topic that should be addressed. I don't have the energy to watch Jim's vid right now, but I'm glad someone with a platform is saying it.

Ubisoft are cowards.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd imagine it's due to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Aug Lives Matter thing. I can't recall how it was received but I don't think it was positive.

I remember that the BLM stuff was handled fairly badly of them

There's a huge difference between setting out to be a political work and tackling it badly to pretending your work isn't political while using very political imagery and themes though.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a huge difference between setting out to be a political work and tackling it badly to pretending your work isn't political while using very political imagery and themes though.
The thing is that they avoided saying anything about it by claiming they came up with the term in the art before BLM was a thing and that it was all a coincidence, which is obviously bull.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably because of the whole debacle of Mankind Divided using BLM imagery
Moscow_Cities_of_2029_DXMD.0.0.jpg
MD might have been a lot of things, but it never even claimed to be apolitical. You really can't when throwing around words like apartheid willy nilly.

Which makes Ubi's approach even funnier when after their apolitical spiel they ship the game with the "DID YOU HAVE A GUN" intro.

EDIT: wait, Sqeenix claimed it was not political? I must have missed that, that's funny as fuck.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
MD might have been a lot of things, but it never even claimed to be apolitical. You really can't when throwing around words like apartheid willy nilly.

Which makes Ubi's approach even funnier when after their apolitical spiel they ship the game with the "DID YOU HAVE A GUN" intro.

EDIT: wait, Sqeenix claimed it was not political? I must have missed that, that's funny as fuck.

SOME SURVIVED

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Crosspost from a Halo topic:

I can only repeat what Phil said, which is that our intent is to make the PC game available to PC players, where and how they're playing. That doesn't mean a stripped out Linux build, but tbh we're not being cagey for the sake of it. Even Steam itself means building components to play nice with the store and its infrastructure. The same thing would be true of any new landing spot for the project.

It's not just a port - it's really a quite serious challenge to not only get the various components up and running on PC architecture at fidelity - but also properly translate some elements that were built with consoles in mind - and in a couple of cases, 4:3 SD content at the very root level of some of its original design principles.

Obviously over the years the MCC project, the Anniversary releases and B/C have pushed the games closer to what the minimum expectations for PC are - but things that weren't there originally, like aspect ratio, FOV, key mapping have very serious design implications. At the HCS finals this weekend folks were asking why we announced it "so far from launch" - and the reality is that it's such a large challenge to do it right that it would have been reasonable to think of it as a normal game announcement - which can sometimes be years out (it will be here a lot faster than that - just pointing out the normal chronology of game announcements as an example).

We've already done a great deal and the team is really excited about the potential of not just putting the games on the new platform, but doing both the games and the PC gamers justice too so that people end up hopefully with the game they've imagined or hoped for this whole time and that it feels right as a Halo game and as a PC game.

That's why the answer to "will there be cross-play" is still not cut and dry - it's certainly possible technically - so the testing and tuning will have to include questions about matchmaking, controller vs M/KB, populations (and their respective tastes), security, etc etc. The easy answer would be "yes options rite?" but again we don't want to compromise the PC version to do that. Flighting will obviously help us shake out lots of technical issues, but it will also provide tons of user play style feedback - and the fuzzy subjective stuff that emerges from how PC players use it.

If you've played the H5 Forge MP component on PC you'll also notice that the console origin of that suite means that on average, some wasd players feel that there's about one control function too many for natural setups and player movement - not an issue on controller because of the ability to use all the main triggers, bumpers, buttons and clicks. This is specific to H5 because of the increased mobility - but the original HCE - despite staring as a Mac title, was really Xbox specific and the design was crafted in tandem with the development of the OG Xbox controller. It's not just buttons, necessarily but also designer intent - so that's one of the less clear cut challenges to get right - making these games feel like they were built for PC from the getgo.

A lot of the audience will be Halo console players and fans, but there'll be folks new to the series too and we want it to show up well for them too without changing the fundamental core of each original game.

It's not rocket science, but it also kind of is a bit...

Also now I have to build a PC gaming rig. Which I haven't done in a while except at work.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The thing is that they avoided saying anything about it by claiming they came up with the term in the art before BLM was a thing and that it was all a coincidence, which is obviously bull.

Sure, that was some bullshit, but iirc that was entirely the marketing team. The actual writers and creators of the game always said they were making a political game, exploring those ideas.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Damn, the Orstein and Smough fight is actually still pretty tough unlike a lot of the other bosses in the first Souls if you played the subsequent games. Tho I beat them when it came out with that insanely op magic shield that did half the damage of your weapon as a laser beam before it got nerf patched lol

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Damn, the Orstein and Smough fight is actually still pretty tough unlike a lot of the other bosses in the first Souls if you played the subsequent games. Tho I beat them when it came out with that insanely op magic shield that did half the damage of your weapon as a laser beam before it got nerf patched lol
Going for Smough first on my NG+ is what made me drop it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Played this for 6 hours yesterday - it has some problems (large building footprints+weird placement, spotty UI, no tutorial) but as an initial Early Access release, it's pretty great. The soundtrack is fantastic, the performance is good and holy shit this game is d e e p!
Look at my lovely little coal mining fort:
Zr7Kvf0.jpg

Hey thanks for shouting this one out.

Looks like an intriguing setting. Seems really ambitious too.

Wishlisted and will be keeping an eye out.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Chet Faliszek is starting up a studio in Seattle. Only for cool people who like co-op games.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.