• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not everything is an alt-right dogwhistle but that doesn't mean we should simply ignore things that are clearly meant to be one.
Clapping is such a universale gesture, it can't be coopted. The "OK" sign is a more specific thing and it depends on the context when it's being used but that doesn't mean it should be outright dismissed. Those photos of some policemen a few pages back? That's not an accident.

I don't disagree that clapping is too ubiquitous to be a dogwhistle, and the circle thing is clearly arguable enough to cause considerable disagreement in this thread (as we've seen). I just wanted to clear up that the clapping in the trailer was almost certainly down to the choice of music.

As for the whole clapping thing, it was the second time in this thread someone implied it being an alt-right thing, and I wanted to know where that idea came from because I've literally never heard it before. I think Wok suggested it was a US thing?

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Ergonomics are really important and often forgotten in PC hobby talk I think. It's everywhere in the corporate world though.

When I moved, the first night I sat on the floor and just had the mouse next to me on the ground. Had to have my hand in a weird position. One hour of playing with a friend and I messed up my wrist for months.

Don't do it kids.
Cannot agree enough. To me it's better to spend your budget on a comfortable chair, desk and keyboard/mouse rather than a CPU or RAM. The extra resolution won't make you enjoy a game better when your body suffers!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
These two points are key IMO. These companies want to have GaaS titles but they also want people to ditch these games every couple years and start the threadmill anew for 60-100 USD. There are so many fucking service games in the market right now, what's the point of ditching one for promises of content in another?

The AAA market is sort of going through what fighting games had to deal with when people decided multiple paid revisions of games could fuck off. Either make games that you constantly update and monetize or make single package games every couple years to sell, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too unless you're CoD.
Yeah, I still dont get the whole Destiny soft reboots with 2 (and now 3). The key of long lived GAAS games (and MMOs), have always been that you never feel as if all your entire story with the game meant anything (even when new WoW expansions launch, you still keep items for bragging rights). Finishing the game and starting a new one every 3 years gives a "do I really want to continue in the sequel" moment.

I understand that the tradeoff is that not resetting the game would mean that you will normally end with a dwindling population as it is harder to attract new users to a game that has been running for 4+ years, but many F2P games have been able to avoid this.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These two points are key IMO. These companies want to have GaaS titles but they also want people to ditch these games every couple years and start the threadmill anew for 60-100 USD. There are so many fucking service games in the market right now, what's the point of ditching one for promises of content in another?

The AAA market is sort of going through what fighting games had to deal with when people decided multiple paid revisions of games could fuck off. Either make games that you constantly update and monetize or make single package games every couple years to sell, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too unless you're CoD.

That is why something like Anthem is a F2P game. People got quite upset at the suggestion, especially since you have to pay for it up front. But really if it had been $0 it would have been a whole different story.

I mean it still would have sucked, but maybe more people would be drawn to it. I would have at least seen the download size before deciding it wasn't worth the time.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That is why something like Anthem is a F2P game. People got quite upset at the suggestion, especially since you have to pay for it up front. But really if it had been $0 it would have been a whole different story.

I mean it still would have sucked, but maybe more people would be drawn to it. I would have at least seen the download size before deciding it wasn't worth the time.
Issue is that the costs of making the game are too high for it to be F2P from the point of view of the publisher. The game is supposed to break even (or in most cases be profitable) with just the sales of the game, with the MTX being an added value over time.

Betting so much in a F2P where you do not know how successful the game will be in the long term is just not-viable.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Issue is that the costs of making the game are too high for it to be F2P from the point of view of the publisher. The game is supposed to break even (or in most cases be profitable) with just the sales of the game, with the MTX being an added value over time.

Betting so much in a F2P where you do not know how successful the game will be in the long term is just not-viable.

I don't think that is true when you consider how huge the opportunity costs are for a company like EA. They are not betting that a gaas title will "make money up front", they need to bet far longer term than that as they can only really push one at a time.

Which I completely agree is not viable, since the market is extremely volatile with f2p disruptors popping up everywhere. Which is of course completely ironic that gaas titles are now the riskiest investment of all.

Well that and PC store fronts.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that is true when you consider how huge the opportunity costs are for a company like EA. They are not betting that a gaas title will "make money up front", they need to bet far longer term than that as they can only really push one at a time.

Which I completely agree is not viable, since the market is extremely volatile with f2p disruptors popping up everywhere. Which is of course completely ironic that gaas titles are now the riskiest investment of all.

Well that and PC store fronts.
I expressed myself badly so hope this is better:
I do not think they are betting on the game "making money up-front" but rather that the initial sales of the product reduces the risk a pure F2P game has of utterly bombing. Even if the objective of GAAS games being a long term project, initial sales are able to cover from those bomb issues (in some sort of way).

We can take a look at their F2P GAAS game in Apex, which was clearly a much more cheap game reutilizing content from a previous game.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe spending too much time on chans is the problem with seeing everything as some symbols.
Well, we kinda dropped the subject but I'll just say that it's not only the chans (which I don't actually go to, but their mentality is being exported to other places in the web). There's quite a number of sites I've dropped because of how radicalized they've become in the last 2-3 years.
9gag would be an example. The site used to be fine but at some point it was taken over by alt-right ideology.
Heck, the previous forum would be another.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Gaf is probably one of, if not the worst examples of radicalization and ideology shifts since when the last time I looked at it months ago after someone linked the fuck era thread it had become a place for "thoughtful" discussions such as how transgendered people don't you know, really exist with mods alike chiming in.

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
As for the whole clapping thing, it was the second time in this thread someone implied it being an alt-right thing, and I wanted to know where that idea came from because I've literally never heard it before. I think Wok suggested it was a US thing?

As far as I understand, clapping is not an alt-right thing, but there was an attempt by trolls to claim it, as well as other widespread things. Maybe they did not manage to make it one of their memes in the end. Before the trailer for Satisfactory was posted here, I did not even know about the misuse of the OK-sign, so who knows?

Last edited:

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baba is You is killing me sometimes. Like I have worked out the solution but it ultimately turns the level into a sliding puzzle with moving text and I am shit at those. Send help and/or beer.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I asked this several weeks ago but didn't get a reply: why I'm unable to sell all my cards without the authenticator confirmation on Steam? I can sell just one card without confirming it, but than Steam asks me to confirm every other card I put on sale that day.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I SOOO want to buy a ultrawide Monitor, or even a monitor, period. But then every time I select a good monitor screen, all I see are QA complaints and or some sort of game breaking flaws. SO I see this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M81YJ2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Some of the recent complains are dead pixels/color washed out...etc.

So Then I look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C83BE6U/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1B22XXMSBBRK1&psc=1

QA issues as well.

I saw this China off brand which has the best QA reviews on Amazon, but since it is a VA monitor, the color is washed out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HZ499J4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1BVYXEL822RF0&psc=1

(I made a thread about this earlier, but have looking at recent reviews, the Monoprice Monitor has some terrible QA reviews.)

Guys, help me out. I just want a 35 inch, 21:9, 1440p monitor with at least 100hz and under 5 ms refresh rate.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I SOOO want to buy a ultrawide Monitor, or even a monitor, period. But then every time I select a good monitor screen, all I see are QA complaints and or some sort of game breaking flaws. SO I see this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M81YJ2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Some of the recent complains are dead pixels/color washed out...etc.

So Then I look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C83BE6U/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1B22XXMSBBRK1&psc=1

QA issues as well.

I saw this China off brand which has the best QA reviews on Amazon, but since it is a VA monitor, the color is washed out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HZ499J4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1BVYXEL822RF0&psc=1

(I made a thread about this earlier, but have looking at recent reviews, the Monoprice Monitor has some terrible QA reviews.)

Guys, help me out. I just want a 35 inch, 21:9, 1440p monitor with at least 100hz and under 5 ms refresh rate.

I don't think theres anyone that convince you of a product thats not going to have at least a fringe set of people with issues with it. The Asus monitors have good rep, i know a bunch of people who are using them and are happy.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I can't beat the boss of Dark Souls 3's Ariandel dlc. I never see summon signs, probably because I was penalized for supposedly cheating (still have no idea how that happened), I managed to solo the base game (as I did with Demon's, DS1 and Bloodborne) but this one is above my paygrade.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think theres anyone that convince you of a product thats not going to have at least a fringe set of people with issues with it. The Asus monitors have good rep, i know a bunch of people who are using them and are happy.

What are your thoughts on the the ACOG one's I posted? Does any one of those two I could go with and be happy (2080 TI)?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not about you, just something I keep thinking about when people mention that recent games keep selling worse on UK retail and use that as a measurement for a game's world wide success.
Ah, fair enough. Yeah, Brexit, lower wages and rising prices is the reason. Digital too I guess but those prices are a joke too.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Jeez. I didn't even know that Division 2 was out yet. I thought it was next week for some reason. I don't open Uplay that much. I buy my Ubi games through Steam, so that is how I notice they came out. Usually, through top sellers or someone posting screenshots.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
fXgRoBS.png

Google exclusivity announcement tomorrow, then

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I wonder how Devolver is going to spin signing with a megacorp as metal

Also just got to the famous archer part in Dark Souls Remastered and the frustration is as fresh as it was almost a decade ago lol

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018

Played this for 6 hours yesterday - it has some problems (large building footprints+weird placement, spotty UI, no tutorial) but as an initial Early Access release, it's pretty great. The soundtrack is fantastic, the performance is good and holy shit this game is d e e p!
Look at my lovely little coal mining fort:
Zr7Kvf0.jpg

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I can't beat the boss of Dark Souls 3's Ariandel dlc. I never see summon signs, probably because I was penalized for supposedly cheating (still have no idea how that happened), I managed to solo the base game (as I did with Demon's, DS1 and Bloodborne) but this one is above my paygrade.

It happens if you disconnect one to many times when you are being invaded, for instance if you force-quit the game. If I remember correctly you regain access to the online options by picking up the white circlet where you spawn at the very beginning of the game. See:

https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Way+of+White+Circlet

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Played this for 6 hours yesterday - it has some problems (large building footprints+weird placement, spotty UI, no tutorial) but as an initial Early Access release, it's pretty great. The soundtrack is fantastic, the performance is good and holy shit this game is d e e p!

I was very interested in the game but both the launch price and the fact that they plan to stay in Early Access for up to two years put me off.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
the fact that they plan to stay in Early Access for up to two years put me off.
It's currently being developed by a solo-dev who outsources music and 3d asset work. Gladly the game seems to be doing well, so he might be able to hire some additional devs.
I can understand being wary of Early Access titles but I think this one has genuine potential and is already fun to play.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Is the RE2 DLC worth it? Currently debating to buy the game from cdkeys.

It's mostly just cosmetic stuff (IIRC, the alternate handguns can't be upgraded, so very limited utility there). If you think you'll be replaying the game a bunch (and the game is very replayable), then I think it's worthwhile. It's nice to have different outfits/music to play with when you're going back through. But if you're expecting the game to just be a one-and-done thing, then you can skip the DLC with no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.