• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve should kick them to the curb, but they won't

Because vaguely sarcastic news articles aren't half the big deal you guys make them out to be and it would be insane for them to do so. Places like PCgamer and RPS still cover far more steam games than any outlet.

Why is Eurogamer even on the shitlist now exactly? They made an offhand comment about curation in an article and you folks are acting like they stabbed your mothers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Today is the bday and think I got a really good gift. Got a job offer to go work in Tokyo. Anyone have any experience playing PC games in Japan?

I'm damn near exclusively playing games on my PC these days (except BB on my PS4). I'm very worried i'll have to transition into playing most games on a console simply because of the size of the living spaces there. I'm not worried about internet too much or using Steam in Japan...just having the space.

Tons of blocked stuff or typically can't buy it on steam, but activate it on steam basically buy from local shops then activate it on steam.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Because vaguely sarcastic news articles aren't half the big deal you guys make them out to be and it would be insane for them to do so. Places like PCgamer and RPS still cover far more steam games than any outlet.

Why is Eurogamer even on the shitlist now exactly? They made an offhand comment about curation in an article and you folks are acting like they stabbed your mothers.

Because

1) Subjective opinion in a factual news reporting article is bad.
and
2) Because they're applying bias - against Steam (lack of curation bad) but not Epic (a fully curated store means Epic act as gatekeepers to any potential success on the store by picking and choosing "winners").

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I dunno how to feel about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.2

I really liked where they were going with the RPG elements of CoP. The stealth stuff felt very Thief-like, and there was also weapon/equipment degradation system right out of Diablo. The choice/consequence system was cool as well- hearing about anOther stalker taking credit for your exploits and then confronting him was a good idea- as we're the in-game "achievements" (Alpha Protocol also had "perks" that worked the same way, giving you Stat boosts and discounts or extra stuff)

So there's potential for things to be interesting. During the exclusivity announcement hubbub I also visited that forum where the 4A dev posted lashing out at the fans. The old timers on that forum were joking about having access to early S2 builds, implying 4A were gonna be working on them.

I quite like 4A's output and Exodus (managed to snag a Steam pre-order on that last day) gives me a lot of that old vibe in its open areas. If GSC and 4A were to work together on that somehow (I'm not sure what GSC is these days, tbh- since Vostok games is still off doing its multi-player thing with Survarium and now Fear the Wolves), it might be something interesting.

Or it might be a half-baked mess best left forgotten. Who knows.

Right now I'm just hoping Epic stays the hell away from The Sinking City, as that's another Uki dev I want to support with a full-price purchase.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow busy day for Steam in the EraNews, and although all the news was positive or neutral, those threads took a turn fast.

But anyways, Is Division 2 playable almost completely solo? I dont mind matchmaking for "dungeons" but can i grind good gear and stuff like Diablo all single player? I am not a huge multiplayer guy but I liked Division 1.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because

1) Subjective opinion in a factual news reporting article is bad.
and
2) Because they're applying bias - against Steam (lack of curation bad) but not Epic (a fully curated store means Epic act as gatekeepers to any potential success on the store by picking and choosing "winners").

1. C'mon. This is entertainment news. It is extremely common to editorialize and show opinion. And let's be clear, there's been a handful of articles linked here that got whining about the fact they were lukewarm and basic (as in, just reported the news and didn't editorialize), and didn't take Epic to task for their Sin of the week.

Examples like this: https://news.avclub.com/netflix-cancels-one-day-at-a-time-after-three-seasons-1833300005

Have clear editorializing. It's in the nature of entertainment reporting frankly, this isn't reporting from the frontlines of a war (though there's been more than a few famous moments where reporters editorialized while reporting the news in that regard).

2. I'd argue they're simply not showing bias for steam rather than bias for Epic. Though let's say PCgamer or whoever comes out with a screed against what Epic is doing. Surely all the hysterical posters in here won't quote that article 17 times praising them for that new "bias"

Let's drop the act of being concerned with the sanctity of ethical news reporting. Nobody buys it. It's always a bad tactic by every group it's been used by.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
1. C'mon. This is entertainment news. It is extremely common to editorialize and show opinion. And let's be clear, there's been a handful of articles linked here that got whining about the fact they were lukewarm and basic, and didn't take Epic to task for their Sin of the week.

Examples like this: https://news.avclub.com/netflix-cancels-one-day-at-a-time-after-three-seasons-1833300005

Have clear editorializing. It's in the nature of entertainment reporting frankly, this isn't reporting from the frontlines of a war (though there's been more than a few famous moments where reporters editorialized while reporting the news in that regard).

2. I'd argue they're simply not showing bias for steam rather than bias for Epic. Though let's say PCgamer or whoever comes out with a screed against what Epic is doing. Surely all the hysterical posters in here won't quote that article 17 times praising them for that new "bias"

Let's drop the act of being concerned with the sanctity of ethical news reporting. Nobody buys it. It's always a bad tactic by every group it's been used by.

Answer me this,

Why is some random site the only site to get a direct response from Valve? While all of these other sites all only just now decide to talk about that and Epic's full response after some third less known site has more information.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
1. C'mon. This is entertainment news. It is extremely common to editorialize and show opinion. And let's be clear, there's been a handful of articles linked here that got whining about the fact they were lukewarm and basic, and didn't take Epic to task for their Sin of the week.

Just because it's accepted practice, doesn't mean we should accept it.

The sad fact is, it is about ethics in reporting. But GG fucked over everyone who ever thought the gaming media could/should be better.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Baba is You is great, even the first two worlds had a few real head scratchers I got stuck on for 20-30 minutes but there's at least some build up to the more complicated solutions in each area.

This game is brain training for my glorious return to Stephen's Sausage Roll which I dropped so fast

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Answer me this,

Why is some random site the only site to get a direct response from Valve? While all of these other sites all only just now decide to talk about that and Epic's full response after some third less known site has more information.
Bleeping Computer are actually a fairly large website. Definitely don't count as "random".

Thing is, their entire thing is computer security. They've been running it for years and are generally pretty good with examining things. They also have nothing to do with the gaming media. It doesn't surprise me that the second there is a security problem in games, it'll be a website like that which actually asks questions and tries to contact Valve.

Because we know the gaming media won't do anything like that.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Answer me this,

What exactly are you insinuating in this response?

Because Bleeping Computer might not be known to you, but they are FAR more tech oriented than sites RPS, and thus are far more likely to do in depth reporting than the site that names their reviews Wot I think and gives Bestest Bests to their favaorable reviews. They are not a small website either.

The old adage of "don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity / incompetence / negligence" comes to mind.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the last time I really looked at a game story on Bleeping Computer, was when they wrote about FSLabs adding a Chrome password extractor into their Flight Sim mod: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...er-embeds-password-stealing-tool-in-game-mod/

Something else the mainstream press barely covered, might I add. In the OP to my thread I added all the outlets I could find which covered it. You can see how few it was.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fl...ator-x-add-on-which-extracts-passwords.24340/

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly are you insinuating in this response?

Because Bleeping Computer might not be known to you, but they are FAR more tech oriented than sites RPS, and thus are far more likely to do in depth reporting than the site that names their reviews Wot I think and gives Bestest Bests to their favaorable reviews. They are not a small website either.

The old adage of "don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity / incompetence / negligence" comes to mind.

You're right in the bolded. I posted this a couple of hours ago in the Epic/Steam info thread:

-----------------------

[Gaming media] should be doing what the actual media does and getting an analyst/ex-industry member or someone with known technical knowledge to shed light on things. Random example from the Washington Post:

Trump "indicated that nuclear and missile testing really is a red line. He basically said that as long as they're not testing, he's happy, even though behind the scenes they continue to perfect their arsenal," said Bruce Klingner, a former U.S. intelligence official who is now a Northeast Asia analyst at the conservative Heritage Foundation.

------------------------------

It shouldn't be a hard ask, but it is... through either the website's stupidity, incompetence or negligence. :/

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Calling folks armchair detectives and conspiracy nuts goes a bit past being vaguely sarcastic, now, doesn't it?

And other than DF, Eurogamer hasn't been worth visiting in years.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
2. I'd argue they're simply not showing bias for steam rather than bias for Epic.
No.

The whole oft-regurgitated "all competition is great for consumers" bullshit that has been going on for weeks across various gaming media in most any article touching on the issue -- without ever actually adopting a consumer-focused perspective or providing any investigation into the actual measurable effects of the existing behaviour on the consumer experience -- is proof enough of that. And many outlets don't stop there, but also belittle anyone bringing up legitimate concerns at every chance they get.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
. And many outlets don't stop there, but also belittle anyone bringing up legitimate concerns at every chance they get.
Nothing highlighted this more to me than RPS taking the entire Epic spyware story and turning it into "These people are just buying into racist conspiracy theories about Tencent and China".

Oh, and lets not forget our old favourite - "Hyper toxic pro-consumer"

I asked this earlier, and I'll ask it again:

Is there a single English gaming publication which covers these things properly? Even obscure ones? I haven't been able to find a single one.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2017
In an another timeline, Epic has launched their store with the same features as Steam and instead of moneyhatting games, lying, spying on consumers and pissing them off, is trying to convert fortnite players to paying consumers by offering them cosmetics when purchasing a game on their store.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
God damn Ubisoft, are the AMD codes hardware locked? Anyway for me to buy a 2nd hand key cheap or am I stuck full price on Ubi since they wont sell on any other store now?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn Ubisoft, are the AMD codes hardware locked? Anyway for me to buy a 2nd hand key cheap or am I stuck full price on Ubi since they wont sell on any other store now?

If you're outside the US you can use the 20 Uplay percent coupon if you have the points.

Cdkeys have it too, though looks like EU region. Not sure how restrictive Uplay is on that though. IIRC they weren't before but it's been years + it's a online only game, where I think the ones I did it on were single player.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you're outside the US you can use the 20 Uplay percent coupon if you have the points.

Cdkeys have it too, though looks like EU region. Not sure how restrictive Uplay is on that though. IIRC they weren't before but it's been years + it's a online only game, where I think the ones I did it on were single player.

Ah cool, I am in Canada so I suppose I can get the 20% off. Thanks.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
RightMiserableKawala-max-1mb.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So I've noticed in The Division 2 moving the camera with my mouse causes very noticeable stutter. See the video. I do a lap with my KB&M, then the character stops as I pick up my gamepad and repeat the lap.

You'll see with the gamepad there's no stutter.

I've tried changing polling rates, DPI and sensitivity.
I have mouse acceleration disabled in windows.
I have the mouse smoothing options in TD2 off.

Any ideas from here?

Is it anything to do with my cheap mouse? I don't see this issue listed in reviews, or online.

Playing with gamepad now as it's too much, but I'd much rather use KB&M. Cheers!

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, about Myst: Should I play through realMyst Masterpiece Edition or stick to the OG Myst (also ME)? (I have Myst ME through GOG, and I bought realMyst on Steam but might get a refund.)

Which is better?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've noticed in The Division 2 moving the camera with my mouse causes very noticeable stutter. See the video. I do a lap with my KB&M, then the character stops as I pick up my gamepad and repeat the lap.

You'll see with the gamepad there's no stutter.

I've tried changing polling rates, DPI and sensitivity.
I have mouse acceleration disabled in windows.
I have the mouse smoothing options in TD2 off.

Any ideas from here?

Is it anything to do with my cheap mouse? I don't see this issue listed in reviews, or online.

Playing with gamepad now as it's too much, but I'd much rather use KB&M. Cheers!

Wasn't a recent Windows update supposed to be causing issues with mice in certain games? Maybe it's that.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windo...se-performance-in-certain-games.413820.0.html

It was already updated so if you haven't updated Windows in the past couple days, might be worth trying that.

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Half-Life for the first time and I'm already really annoyed by first-person platforming. Don't want to imagine how annoying Xen is going to be...

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
So, about Myst: Should I play through realMyst Masterpiece Edition or stick to the OG Myst (also ME)? (I have Myst ME through GOG, and I bought realMyst on Steam but might get a refund.)

Which is better?

Stumpokapow once wrote:

Myst Masterpiece Edition is a slightly better looking version of the original release of the game.

RealMyst is a 3D remake of the original game that adds another main world to the end of the game, as well as 24 hour day-night cycles.

RealMyst Masterpiece Edition is an update of RealMyst (including the additional world) in Unity with way better textures, higher resolution, modern UI features, etc.

Chances are if you have a decent computer, you want RealMyst Masterpiece Edition.

Myst:
- Originally released on Mac OS
- Game is a series of 2D pictures and animation strung together by clicking through.
- Not on Steam

Myst Masterpiece Edition:
- Released several years later. Exact same game, slightly higher fidelity graphics and sound.

RealMYST:
- Myst remade as a full 3d world you can walk through
- When first released did not have great performance, but that's long since stopped being a concern
- Was buggy then and is still buggy now
- Has issues launching on modern machines
- Add an extra "world" to the game, Rime Age, which is short but fits well and is worth it

RealMYST Masterpiece Edition:
- Remakes RealMYST in Unity with modern graphics
- Adds dynamic weather and day/night
- Has a 2D point-and-click mode if you don't want to play in full 3d
- Works on modern machines
- This is 100% the version you want to buy if cost is not a consideration.

So Myst takes place over a series of screens. You click to go between screen and screen. The perspective is fixed, and you can just go from static screen to static screen. It was released in the mid-90s.

JHe1Ds0.jpg

Myst Masterpiece edition is the updated port of Myst that improves the resolution and dithering, while keeping the same basic engine. It was released circa 2000. It's not really a huge upgrade. There's no reason to go back to OG Myst of course, but it's fine.

RealMyst turns the game into a full 3D game that you can freely walk through. In addition, it adds a new segment of game called Rime (sorry, I don't want to give any more details). It represents a fairly small amount of content, but not zero, and I think it's an improvement. It was released a little bit after Myst Masterpiece. It's a better version, but both performance and stability weren't great.

uqCdHyKl.jpg

RealMyst Masterpiece Edition ports RealMyst, including Rime, to Unity. It upgrades the models and textures to match Myst's original art style a little better.

VCHYyYPl.jpg

If you don't have any of the games and want to buy one, I'd buy RealMyst Masterpiece edition. I haven't played it myself, but it's considered pretty definitive. If you already own RealMyst, well, I'd play RealMyst rather than paying to upgrade. If you own just old-school Myst... honestly, it's a bit old at this point. Get one of the RealMyst variants.

Last edited:

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Watching this video, it's crazy that Valve has cancelled more than 30 games in the past 15 years.

Ayyy lmao. Just ship something

As long as it's not Artifact

I find it funny that in an alternative universe, Arkane would have likely been bought out by Valve. Probably better than being forced by Bethesda to make some live service title.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Valve should really just release their older SP-centric games on PS, Xbox and Nintendo consoles.
Kind of an Orange Box like release.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I tried Steam Link Anywhere last night. I have 100/25 Mbps optic fiber connection and i tried to use Steam Link Anywhere on 25/5 Mbps ADSL connection but on 2.4GHz. And it works but with few issues. I can manage to keep input latency to 1ms or below but video latency is above 60ms. And you can play games but stutter is main issue. It happens every few seconds. But I think that things would be better with 5GHz connection.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny that in an alternative universe, Arkane would have likely been bought out by Valve. Probably better than being forced by Bethesda to make some live service title.
Arkane has had an amazing run over the last few years. Under Valve they would have probably managed to publish a single game.... maybe.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, has the possibility to link your Steam account to Epic been removed or am I missing something?

Uf2bmTX.jpg

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'm really bad at character action games but I'm enjoying V's extremely detailed smirking animations in Devil May Cry 5.

And god the song that plays during the last minute/credits of Hellblade is abysmal, goofy and so immersion breaking for a game that hasn't had modern sounding music to that point.

Most importantly, play Vampire the Masquerade for the retro you cowards

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm giving Vampyr a whirl, since I never got round to it last year. It's really interesting, even if the combat is a little off. I've only just gotten to

Pembroke Hospital and I've already eaten one of the patients (not Clay Cox).

I feel bad since I don't actually need the XP yet anyway, but after skipping the initial tutorial on "Embracing" I kind of needed to figure out the consequences myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.