• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

'We have to compete the way we do because we think Steam is TOO good for the consumer'

Yes they are actually using that joke as an excuse

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually have too much of a problem with them launching with a small set of features and then posting a roadmap to show when the others arrive.

What I have a problem with basically amounts to 2 things:

• Their exclusive deals, data tracking, etc clearly showing what their priorities were.
  • The idea that we should support them based on the trust that they'll get it right eventually. No, people should only use them after they have proven their worth. They have done absolutely nothing to show they are trustworthy.
"Too many" features is 100% BS, though.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually have too much of a problem with them launching with a small set of features and then posting a roadmap to show when the others arrive.

• Their exclusive deals, data tracking, etc clearly showing what their priorities were.
  • The idea that we should support them based on the trust that they'll get it right eventually. No, people should only use them after they have proven their worth. They have done absolutely nothing to show they are trustworthy.

I take offense to them minimizing them not even having the most basic of features for a store in 2019.

What client doesn't have cloud Saves in 2019?

And it's now on a road map for the future? Something Steam made a feature a decade ago?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

"Too many" features is 100% BS, though.

If I am in China I cant even buy any exclusive games or play them unless I would pirate them...

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018

'We have to compete the way we do because we think Steam is TOO good for the consumer'

Yes they are actually using that joke as an excuse

Well to be fair to Tim, PC was a healthy and burgeoning market before Steam showed up and giving people useful features. It wasn't a hellscape where piracy was more appealing than buying software. And no companies abandoned PC games for consoles because of that problem that definitely wasn't there.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
gOu8I3fh.jpg

Kassandra's the best. Gotta love the performance.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
As to a store, competing on features alone, we believe that wouldn't be enough to gain traction.

He may not be wrong about that. Let us say Epic Games Store has all the features which Steam has.
Why would any Steam user buy a game from them rather than from Steam?

• Lower prices / better discounts,
  • Same prices, but with a percentage given to charity,
  • The game is not available on Steam,
  • People like to create new accounts (?),
  • Valve becomes evil (?),
  • Original store features (???),
  • ???
Apart from exclusivity, their only (realistic) hope to attract existing Steam users would be very aggressive pricing.

And I am not sure this would be enough. People want Steam keys these days.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take offense to them minimizing them not even having the most basic of features for a store in 2019.

What client doesn't have cloud Saves in 2019?

And it's now on a road map for the future? Something Steam made a feature a decade ago?
Consumers have a right to not want to use them because of that, and to criticize their client because of missing basic features. I've criticized them heavily for it.

I just don't mind the approach of releasing early and showing a clear roadmap of when the features arrive. It can be an effective strategy, and in the right hands can look refreshingly honest. That's my incredibly limited positive comment, don't extend that into a defense of Epic in any way, because it isn't.

Nothing Epic has done has looked in any way honest, and everything surrounding the store has been a mountain of shit that only seems to be getting worse every day.

If I am in China I cant even buy any exclusive games or play them unless I would pirate them...

And this is bad, I agree.

You have seen me post here enough. You should know that I know these things.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man... Grahams responses to the criticism on todays RPS opinion piece.....

Jeeze. Just disable comments. Saying "thaannnkss" at the end of a snarky response isn't going to quell the firestorm.

Also, RPS got bought out? What happened? This could totally explain the insane change in their tune lately.

Man, I loved old RPS. A bit shook, they were my place. Damn. I'm about to say something rude about horus, but the bear is innocent.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
He may not be wrong about that. Let us say Epic Games Store has all the features which Steam has.

• Lower prices / better discounts,
  • Same prices, but with a percentage given to charity,
  • People like to create new accounts (?),
  • Valve becomes evil (?),
  • Original store features (???),
  • ???
Apart from exclusivity, their only (realistic) hope to attract existing Steam users would be very aggressive pricing.

And I am not sure this would be enough. People want Steam keys these days.

If their prices were competitive with Steam, they offered features like cloudsaves and achievements, I'd probably have no problem buying games from them that weren't also available on GOG. Because I like the idea of developers getting a bigger cut.

Exclusivity is not the way to win my trust, though.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
If Epic implements their Steam Workshop equivalent (presumably paid mods because yay developers), I can see Bethesda releasing their games exclusively on EGS.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018

• Lower price / better discount,
  • Same price, but with a percentage given to charity,
  • People like to create new accounts (?)
  • Steam becomes evil (?)
  • ???
Apart from exclusivity, their only hope to attract existing Steam users would be a very aggressive pricing.

The key isn't to compete on how many features you have. People know Valve's been in the game for ages and know that a competitor can't outdo them out of the gate. What matters isn't what you have on day 1, but what the things you have communicate to potential customers. There's an alternate reality where the EGS launches with community features and Epic shouts from the rooftops about how "The EGS will be heavily moderated! It will never be a platform for hate speech!" In that reality, I'm 100% on-board with Epic, because a lack of community moderation is a gigantic problem on Steam, and something I would love to move away from. (Of course, with Sweeney's politics, this could never have happened in our universe.)

It's not that you have to offer everything to compete. But you have to offer something that the competition doesn't. Epic's idea of that something is, "Well, you can't buy a certain games for a year if you don't want them on our platform." That's taking away, not offering something new.

(And honestly, if EGS was actually offering something, people probably wouldn't mind the moneyhats that much. I mean, are people really mad that they're losing choice for a year? Or are they mad that the only option available to them is trash?)

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
ah yes that aspect of independent games we all love: store exclusivity on a client that spies on you

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda has already their own launcher, why would they do that and keep 12% less.
Like Ubisoft. And I believe that Beth is not willing to invest in their own launcher. Hell, it's even worse than the Epic launcher. So when Epic introduces paid mods (and they will, because <3 devs), than it's 100% clear Beth will join them. Doom and TES and people will bite. Guaranteed.

Also Galyonkin hinted a publisher deal.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The key isn't to compete on how many features you have. People know Valve's been in the game for ages and know that a competitor can't outdo them out of the gate. What matters isn't what you have on day 1, but what the things you have communicate to potential customers. There's an alternate reality where the EGS launches with community features and Epic shouts from the rooftops about how "The EGS will be heavily moderated! It will never be a platform for hate speech!" In that reality, I'm 100% on-board with Epic, because a lack of community moderation is a gigantic problem on Steam, and something I would love to move away from. (Of course, with Sweeney's politics, this could never have happened in our universe.)

It's not that you have to offer everything to compete. But you have to offer something that the competition doesn't. Epic's idea of that something is, "Well, you can't buy a certain games for a year if you don't want them on our platform." That's taking away, not offering something new.

(And honestly, if EGS was actually offering something, people probably wouldn't mind the moneyhats that much. I mean, are people really mad that they're losing choice for a year? Or are they mad that the only option available to them is trash?)

*raises hand*

I'm mad that Epic are locking down game prices to a single store, with no options to buy from 3rd party resellers. This keeps the prices high, and provides not incentive to do things to make the user experience better since there's no need to compete.

-it also fosters a console-like mentality on PC, trying to get players to expect less and be satisfied with lower quality service

-not to mention the Epic store doesn't support Linux, isn't available in parts of the world (Chinese backers of Phoenix point say hi!), and doesn't offer as much currency choice (Canada is NOT part of the US, Sweeney!)

-plus now the whole Spyware thing.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Like Ubisoft. And I believe that Beth is not willing to invest in their own launcher. Hell, it's even worse than the Epic launcher. So when Epic introduces paid mods (and they will, because <3 devs), than it's 100% clear Beth will join them. Doom and TES and people will bite. Guaranteed.

Also Galyonkin hinted a publisher deal.

Ubi still releases games on Steam. Bethesda, on the other hand, is following in EA's footsteps.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Boy I can't wait for Devolver Digital E3 conference. Maybe they'll make a funny joke about how lazy their supports are for not installing another launcher!

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Devolver signing an exclusivity deal would be a pretty idiotic move considering how hard they pushed on their image of being pro-consumer and soooo different from other companies, and that's pretty much how they marketed every single game they published in the past few years.

I'll be waiting for an official announcement though, maybe the game simply got cancelled, or switched publisher or something.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
This is more likely to be Amazon/Twitch exclusive, if the rumors are true.
What rumors are those? I know Devolver and Twitch have been cozy of late (that Xmas giveaway pack, Pikuniku being released for free to Twitch Prime users ahead of its Steam/GoG release), so it doesn't sound implausible

Status
Not open for further replies.