• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh man, somebody pointed out that this is likely a tease for We Happy Few DLC. Holy fuck, I forgot that game had a Season Pass.

Do we know how it is these days? I held off on it due the the alleged bugs, but I was interested in it in spire of the divisive reviews and seemingly lacklustre gameplay. Any idea if it's in a more polished state?

It's hard to justify taking a gamble since it's still fairly expensive.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Heard the writing is quite good but due to all the bugs and terrible gameplay I've been waiting for a deep sale. Could play it on my one x and game pass but the performance wasn't particularly good and the 20s just aren't something I'm ok with these days.

Drakengard 3 broke me

Last edited:

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how it is these days? I held off on it due the the alleged bugs, but I was interested in it in spire of the divisive reviews and seemingly lacklustre gameplay. Any idea if it's in a more polished state?

It's hard to justify taking a gamble since it's still fairly expensive.
Recent reviews have been mixed, the devs are still very active on the Steam forum but yeah sounds like it's still not the best performance wise.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Recent reviews have been mixed, the devs are still very active on the Steam forum but yeah sounds like it's still not the best performance wise.

Ah well no rush anyway, I've got plenty to play. It kind of dropped off the face of the earth shortly after release and I've been hesitant to look too deeply into how it's been doing for fear of spoilers.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about We Happy Few. Seems that people didn't even bother to complain about it nor to make videos about its flaws. It simply disappeared from my, and seemingly a bunch of people radars.

I played a good chunk of it and it was fine and then I got to the part where they introduce the flashlight, except the flashlight required batteries and there weren't many batteries. And then I was just stumbling around in the dark and I got annoyed and bounced off of it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Does it have little fans that blow cool air through? Because that would be nice.
I had a logitech controller like that, bought it when DMC4 came out for PC and finished the game on kbm before it was ever delivered.

All it ever did when I turned the fans on was make my hands cramp.

81ZIwH7rIWL._SL1500_.jpg

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on the whole "Phoenix Point isn't going to be available in China for a year because Epic Store isn't available there"...

It's just so weird that after all these years of Valve saying "Don't forget about China, the level of growth there is astonishing"... The devs who are going with EGS exclusivity are forgetting China. Like the one constant standard piece of advice Valve have consistently offered that every dev can apply to their game is just being flung out the window.

I wonder if this will produce more brand loyalty for Valve/Steam in the long-run from consumers within China?

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Did I just totally forget how steam works ? This is the second time I've tried to login in past few months and no authenticator codes work. These are the ones that pop up on your phone with a little timer right ? It just keeps saying sorry that's not quite right. Now I'm locked out . Too many login attempts . To recover you have to answer a bunch of questions .... but I'm just wanting to login.... I have my password written down ffs.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Man, asuming TMCC sells well on Steam the likelihood of Obsidian, Ninja Theory and InExile titles remaining on the platform (with Xbox account integration and Win10 crossplay) becomes somewhat higher. I'm now more confident that Microsoft will let them stay.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man, what a way to promote your batteries lmao

Alan Wake :( :( :(

Also, so I looked for an Epic Games Store Mega Thread or OT and didn't find it. Was there one? Bronson had mentioned it in passing. We need to bump it, every thread with a game coming to EGS is being destroyed and its killing discussion of the games themselves.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Man, asuming TMCC sells well on Steam the likelihood of Obsidian, Ninja Theory and InExile titles remaining on the platform (with Xbox account integration and Win10 crossplay) becomes somewhat higher. I'm now more confident that Microsoft will let them stay.
don't worry they'll take the completely wrong message from it just like before and say oh see they want PC games but what if we did it outside of steam?

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Remedy is really into product placement, remember in Quantum Break how everyone had a Windows Phone and drove a Nissan?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on the whole "Phoenix Point isn't going to be available in China for a year because Epic Store isn't available there"...

It's just so weird that after all these years of Valve saying "Don't forget about China, the level of growth there is astonishing"... The devs who are going with EGS exclusivity are forgetting China. Like the one constant standard piece of advice Valve have consistently offered that every dev can apply to their game is just being flung out the window.

I wonder if this will produce more brand loyalty for Valve/Steam in the long-run from consumers within China?
I mean, that's one of Valve's most profitable angles, serving under-serviced demographics. Steam became huge in Russia after Valve ignored advice that the piracy problem would make trying to get a foothold there a waste of time. Nobody else seems to get the basic concept that happy customers are more likely to give you money.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Alan Wake :( :( :(

Also, so I looked for an Epic Games Store Mega Thread or OT and didn't find it. Was there one? Bronson had mentioned it in passing. We need to bump it, every thread with a game coming to EGS is being destroyed and its killing discussion of the games themselves.

There is one, but that was more for when the EGS was initially announced, and it was to specifically curb things like op-eds/lots of opinion threads and the like. I don't think it's a good idea to do another one quite yet as things aren't too bad, and if something is newsworthy, it should get a thread.

My main issue is that it's very hard for me to verify the accuracy of something like, say, the Sergei Twitter stuff, or the payment processing fee stuff, because it's either incredibly difficult to parse, info is impossible to find, I have to rely on a translation, or a poster is directly involved.

tldr;

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine MCC is in a unique spot in that it doesn't have to compete with Xbox One sales like all their other ports do. I'd expected most day and date games to go down their current path. Maybe a Halo 5 port if it comes.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine MCC is in a unique spot in that it doesn't have to compete with Xbox One sales like all their other ports do. I'd expected most day and date games to go down their current path. Maybe a Halo 5 port if it comes.
I don't understand this thought process. Why do developers/publishers care if their games are bought on PC instead of consoles, again? Microsoft I can maybe see being worried about it, but I've heard similar things for Ubisoft and Rockstar.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's one of Valve's most profitable angles, serving under-serviced demographics. Steam became huge in Russia after Valve ignored advice that the piracy problem would make trying to get a foothold there a waste of time. Nobody else seems to get the basic concept that happy customers are more likely to give you money.

But obviously Steam is a monopoly and Valve don't help devs/pubs in any way. :p

Urgh.

There is one, but that was more for when the EGS was initially announced, and it was to specifically curb things like op-eds/lots of opinion threads and the like. I don't think it's a good idea to do another one quite yet as things aren't too bad, and if something is newsworthy, it should get a thread.

My main issue is that it's very hard for me to verify the accuracy of something like, say, the Sergei Twitter stuff, or the payment processing fee stuff, because it's either incredibly difficult to parse, info is impossible to find, I have to rely on a translation, or a poster is directly involved.

tldr;

Oh. Oh no. You mean there may be gross amounts of misinformation about the Epic Store which even though it's later corrected may embed itself into the consciousness of the posters here so that it's constantly mentioned as fact even though it's already been repeatedly disproved by more knowledgable people in the not-so-distant past?

Yeah, would be a shame if that happened to a service.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh. Oh no. You mean there may be gross amounts of misinformation about the Epic Store which even though it's later corrected may embed itself into the consciousness of the posters here so that it's constantly mentioned as fact even though it's already been repeatedly disproved by more knowledgable people in the not-so-distant past?

Yeah, would be a shame if that happened to a service.

I will literally shoot you with a tranq dart if you subtweet me again

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Re: China, I really doubt Epic WANTS to not be in China. After all one of the conspiracy angles is that Tencent is trying to take over the world for Glorious Xi. It's more that China is the roadblock, as they after all, already caused havoc with Monster Hunter World's Wegame launch. And services like Steam operate there in a grey area for now.

I wouldn't doubt it if Epic is probably desperately trying to make headway there.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

tldr;

Fair enough Gritty.

Still mad about Alan Wake btw.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Mod abuse! Mod abuse!

:D

I hate everyone equally, unless they're from New York then I doubly hate them

Re: China, I really doubt Epic WANTS to not be in China. After all one of the conspiracy angles is that Tencent is trying to take over the world for Glorious Xi. It's more that China is the roadblock, as they after all, already caused havoc with Monster Hunter World's Wegame launch. And services like Steam operate there in a grey area for now.

I wouldn't doubt it if Epic is probably desperately trying to make headway there.

My limited understanding is that Tencent has pissed off the Chinese government in some fashion currently (likely in terms of not coughing up enough to them), so they're on the outs a bit

Fair enough Gritty.

Still mad about Alan Wake btw.

Then go get some fuckin' Eneloops

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

I can actually see Epic being very happy with not being in China, if they could be sure of the EGS exclusive titles releasing on WeGame there. TenCent owns 40% of Epic, so I think an agreement would/could be drawn up, with Epic being content in TenCent's investment in the company, and TenCent being content with their "Western brand" being Epic, and the "China and HK brand" being WeGame.

Unfortunately, yeah, TenCent/WeGame does seem to be in the doghouse with Chinese authorities in a way that Valve and their Chinese partner Perfect World aren't.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Did I just totally forget how steam works ? This is the second time I've tried to login in past few months and no authenticator codes work. These are the ones that pop up on your phone with a little timer right ? It just keeps saying sorry that's not quite right. Now I'm locked out . Too many login attempts . To recover you have to answer a bunch of questions .... but I'm just wanting to login.... I have my password written down ffs.

Make sure the time and date of the authenticator is correct. I've had this problem before, sometimes daylight savings can trigger this.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
New content came out today so I figured I would fire up Fallout 76 and see how it was doing. Started a new character since I had only played a few hours in before.

Performance seems pretty much the same, which is not great, got some weird periodic hitching.

Ran into one zombie who was just floating in mid air until I shot it and one that ran off when I shot it.

So, yeah, I don't know what they've been doing with this game.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
New content came out today so I figured I would fire up Fallout 76 and see how it was doing. Started a new character since I had only played a few hours in before.

Performance seems pretty much the same, which is not great, got some weird periodic hitching.

Ran into one zombie who was just floating in mid air until I shot it and one that ran off when I shot it.

So, yeah, I don't know what they've been doing with this game.
I actually bought this today (why? don't ask me lol)

But it played solid 60 for me with no hitching for me 4k all maxed though my system is super overkill for this game and didn't see any bugs at all. It seems interesting the graphics look like they are straight out of 2010, they really need a new engine, but the world seems cool and I love exploring in fallout universe so I figure I will at least spend some time and see how it goes

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I don't understand this thought process. Why do developers/publishers care if their games are bought on PC instead of consoles, again? Microsoft I can maybe see being worried about it, but I've heard similar things for Ubisoft and Rockstar.
Yeah I don't understand it either. I've been trying to make this argument about Sony games coming to PC. I'd love to play Spider-Man and God of War, but not enough to buy a PS4, so they get $0 from me. If they released on PC, they'd get $120 from me, so now there is a new revenue source. And I know I'm not alone when it comes to the PC crowd with this thinking. But PlayStation fanboys have to justify their $400 purchase, so this line of thinking makes no sense to them.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I don't understand it either. I've been trying to make this argument about Sony games coming to PC. I'd love to play Spider-Man and God of War, but not enough to buy a PS4, so they get $0 from me. If they released on PC, they'd get $120 from me, so now there is a new revenue source. And I know I'm not alone when it comes to the PC crowd with this thinking. But PlayStation fanboys have to justify their $400 purchase, so this line of thinking makes no sense to them.

Sony makes games to sell systems. That's just the core tenet for how they do games business. They also don't want to share anything with anybody, cut wise.

Microsoft handles this differently because they're entirely in on crossplatform/buy/etc, as long as you pay them directly.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Sony makes games to sell systems. That's just the core tenet for how they do games business. They also don't want to share anything with anybody, cut wise.

Microsoft handles this differently because they're entirely in on crossplatform/buy/etc, as long as you pay them directly.
Do console makers actually make money selling consoles? I remember during the 360/PS3 days that they would sell consoles at a loss so they could sell accessories/online services.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's about projected sales on PC vs lost sales of PS4 hardware and software. I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, and have ended up buying a few other games here and there (God of War, Spider-Man) which aren't system sellers like Bloodborne, but I'll buy since I already have the console. Release games on PC and that revenue stream slips away, and it becomes about fighting for space against other games on the already congested PC platform.

Now, what makes no sense at all is just sitting on IP for consoles that are no longer in production or being sold on the high-street. What is the value of the PS1 and PS2 Gran Turismo games being stuck on the PS1 and PS2? Maybe they'll remaster them, but if they don't they're literally just sitting on games that could earn them cash by just porting them to PC. Demon's Souls is the same... And then there's the smaller PSN games that are first party but limited to PS3 or Vita. I'd pay money for Cuboid on PC, but, nope, it's stuck on PS3. And my PS3 is stuck literally on the other side of the world, and I can't play it. In this sense, Sony are losing money to people who'll just emulate the games on PCSX or RPCS3.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually bought this today (why? don't ask me lol)

But it played solid 60 for me with no hitching for me 4k all maxed though my system is super overkill for this game and didn't see any bugs at all. It seems interesting the graphics look like they are straight out of 2010, they really need a new engine, but the world seems cool and I love exploring in fallout universe so I figure I will at least spend some time and see how it goes

I actually enjoyed the game on release because of the exploration and story (there's a lot of world building with audio tapes and notes) but put it down because it clearly needed some more time in the oven. I'm glad you're not having issues with it. There are always going to be differences with pc builds and also with the network connection to their server, which can cause a lot of oddities.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's about projected sales on PC vs lost sales of PS4 hardware and software. I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, and have ended up buying a few other games here and there (God of War, Spider-Man) which aren't system sellers like Bloodborne, but I'll buy since I already have the console. Release games on PC and that revenue stream slips away, and it becomes about fighting for space against other games on the already congested PC platform.

Now, what makes no sense at all is just sitting on IP for consoles that are no longer in production or being sold on the high-street. What is the value of the PS1 and PS2 Gran Turismo games being stuck on the PS1 and PS2? Maybe they'll remaster them, but if they don't they're literally just sitting on games that could earn them cash by just porting them to PC. Demon's Souls is the same... And then there's the smaller PSN games that are first party but limited to PS3 or Vita. I'd pay money for Cuboid on PC, but, nope, it's stuck on PS3. And my PS3 is stuck literally on the other side of the world, and I can't play it. In this sense, Sony are losing money to people who'll just emulate the games on PCSX or RPCS3.

GT would be a licensing nightmare. People seem to forget these games are wrapped up in legal contracts and you can't just port what you want without permission from all the licensors involved. Racing games are the worst not only do you have music , locations, brands, and all the vehicles.

Even for Xbox BC MS has to do a lot of legal work.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
GT would be a licensing nightmare. People seem to forget these games are wrapped up in legal contracts and you can't just port what you want without permission from all the licensors involved. Racing games are the worst not only do you have music , locations, brands, and all the vehicles.

Even for Xbox BC MS has to do a lot of legal work.

Ah, yeah, that's true. Clean forgot about all the car licenses, which is the whole point of GT, as well as everything else you mention.

Still doesn't excuse the lack of Demon's Souls though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.